As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My tv is screaming

Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I use an lcd tv as my computer monitor, and lately it has taken to making a noise like steam escaping.
This is only when the tv is on vga mode, and doesn't seem to relate to what is being displayed or how long it has been on. Been using this setup for two years or so and this is the first time it's come up.
Is...is it going to explode? D:

2tyFzTC.png

Farout Foolio on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do you have another cable to try?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    High-frequency sound that's not coming from the speakers?

Probably the high-voltage power supply going bad - likely the supply for the backlight. It'll need repair or replacement.

Shouldn't cost too much, unless the faulty part is integrated into the TV's main board, in which case replacing the "motherboard" will probably be quite expensive (a lot of manufacturers don't do component-level repairs, but you never know).

Check with the manufacturer's service department to see if there's a service depot near you that can check out your TV and get you an estimate. Be sure to ask what diagnosis fees are, and if you have to ship it, if you have to pay for return shipping, etc.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you try another cable and it turns out to be something with the TV related to VGA, you might consider getting a video card with DVI or HDMI and the appropriate cable to hook it up to the TV. You could get a better picture from it and it won't cost more than just diagnosis would from any service center.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png