As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gulf Coast Oil]: Spill, Baby Spill. Volunteer Info at the top of OP

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember reading Cat's Cradle, the idea of something like Ice-9 ever being made brought chills up my spine.

Nah, that's crazy

What's really happening here is that Deepwater was blown up by the Patriots, so they could build a new offshore cleanup facility in its place as part of a progressive movement.

What we don't know is that they're actually building a new Metal Gear there, one function of which is to run the S3 program

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HooverFan wrote: »
    They've already done polling here in NC, and even after the oil spill, people still want to drill off the outer banks... to say I was pissed would be putting it lightly, but surprised, again, not at fucking all.

Poll them again after this disaster has not been fixed for the next couple of months.
    or
    "we want small government!" "why is our government not helping us!?"

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    25,000 barrels of oil on the wall, 25,000 barrels of oil.
    Take one down, pass it around, 24,999 barrels of oil on the wall.

To the tune of Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall

I suppose you would count up not down given the situation... well thats depressing. Last time I ever try and cheer people up. *Tears off his Morale Officer Badge."

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember reading Cat's Cradle, the idea of something like Ice-9 ever being made brought chills up my spine.

Nah, that's crazy

What's really happening here is that Deepwater was blown up by the Patriots, so they could build a new offshore cleanup facility in its place as part of a progressive movement.

What we don't know is that they're actually building a new Metal Gear there, one function of which is to run the S3 program

You want crazy? Here's some goddamn crazy.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mine was fictional crazy!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    but that makes so much sense!

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Realisticly it's unlikely something like that is possible, because in physics and chemistry energetically favorable, self-propogating reactions tend to have already happened (ie any ice-9 like substance would likely have occured naturally in some small quantity at some point in history, and thus the world would have already been ice-9'd)

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jesus; doubtless there will be a need for good PR in the months to come but I guess some people will forever be immune.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How the hell is it that some people still have not heard about this? Just talked to the second person today who hadn't heard anything about an oil spill

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You'd be surprised at how low-key the press is, it should be greater.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You'd be surprised at how low-key the press is, it should be greater.

They all went to a circle jerk tonight instead.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    To be fair, Tiger is off his game. That's some big news.

Drake on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drake wrote: »

Which game? Golf, or scoring copious amounts of tail?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    i hear jay leno tried to make a crack about the spill at that press dinner tonight

i haven't seen the photos, but apparently obama looked like he was going to die from embarrassment

serves him right for bringing on that hack

Rust on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    They've already done polling here in NC, and even after the oil spill, people still want to drill off the outer banks... to say I was pissed would be putting it lightly, but surprised, again, not at fucking all.

Poll them again after this disaster has not been fixed for the next couple of months.

Try years.

The one thing I've learned from observing 10 years of American politics though is that the general populace has the attention fly of a gnat. They like to whine about problems, but don't want to go through the hard solutions we need to solve those problems.

We're in a transition period and I don't know if the people in this country have the stomach to make it through.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

He plays golf?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    i hear jay leno tried to make a crack about the spill at that press dinner tonight

i haven't seen the photos, but apparently obama looked like he was going to die from embarrassment

serves him right for bringing on that hack

The President doesn't schedule that piece of shit. It's gross that they all attend though.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

He plays golf?

...touche.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

He plays golf?

...touche.

I'm depressed I know he missed the cut yesterday.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Golf is boring, ergo, Tiger Woods is boring. I don't care how many ladies he porks:

If P = Q and Q = * then logically P = *

Golf is boring. In this equation, 'Golf' is (P), 'is' is (=) and 'boring' is *. Rewrite as Q = *

Tiger Woods is not Golf, but he is associated with it. The associative property comes into play. So Tiger Woods is now effectively P, and since P = Q and Q = * we can logically conclude that P = *, and this can be rewritten as 'Tiger Woods is boring'. He is boring by proxy, the proxy being golf, which binds two disparate subjects (Tiger Woods and Boredom) together.

So simple.

[edit] what an awful totp ...

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm somewhat at a loss for words, with the only one sticking out is "clusterfuck".

This is well on its way to being more than a clusterfuck, though. I ask you, what comes next?

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm somewhat at a loss for words, with the only one sticking out is "clusterfuck".

This is well on its way to being more than a clusterfuck, though. I ask you, what comes next?

Lots of dead wildlife, tourist industries, and a Republican hissy fit to end all hissy fits.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

catastrofuck

Rust on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There doesn't seem to be very much for an ordinary citizen to do but wait and hope.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have this odd feeling that this is the beginning of something really huge that I can't even imagine

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Buy stock in Procter & Gamble.

Dawn is gonna be flying off the shelves.

Drake on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »

or
    "we want small government!" "why is our government not helping us!?"

It's not even a matter of the problem not being fixed. It's a matter of them not having seen the consequences yet.

The hard footage of animals washing up on shore covered in oil will turn up within a week. Give it a month before this starts wrecking major havoc with food prices (and not just shrimp/oysters.).

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There doesn't seem to be very much for an ordinary citizen to do but wait and hope.
    I have this odd feeling that this is the beginning of something really huge that I can't even imagine

These go hand in hand.

Sitting here, reading through the thread; hopping around various news sites and image collections.

As an ordinary citizen miles and miles away in the middle of New Jersey, I don't particularly feel much of the immediate damage from this. I'd fool you, though, because this just took my brain behind the barn and fucked it sideways.

The sea is a harsh mistress.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    catastrofuck

1264166071098.jpg

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i was going to go continue reading The Road before bed tonight, but I don't think I can handle the double-dipped depression that would follow shortly after.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Reason.com, Campaign for Liberty, and Cato are all completely silent regarding the oil spill.

Which I believe is more telling than if they actually said something.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reason.com, Campaign for Liberty, and Cato are all completely silent regarding the oil spill.

What are these websites?

I've been following this thread for a while, I live far away from the Gulf States but I live on the coast.
    I'm speechless. I'm just going to drink this beer and yeah.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    nuka wrote: »

What are these websites?

I've been following this thread for a while, I live far away from the Gulf States but I live on the coast.

Libertarian think tanks. I think they're watching their ideology sink into a black slick.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are these websites?

Libertarian think tanks. I think they're watching their ideology sink into a black slick.
    The Invisible Hand moves in mysterious ways.

*Not poking fun at God exactly before someone calls me out for this, just the explanation folks use to explain why bad things happen.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are these websites?

Those are the hard core libertarian sites. They like to talk about how government can do no right, and how the invisible hand will prevent corporations from ever doing anything wrong. They also tend to be anti-climate change, pro-offshore drilling.

After Katrina, the libertarian sites were all rallying about how the response proved that government was incompetent, and how private charity launched a much better job with the rescue efforts. Complete bullshit, of course, but that's how their minds work.

Now? Nothing.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are these websites?

Those are the hard core libertarian sites. They like to talk about how government can do no right, and how the invisible hand will prevent corporations from ever doing anything wrong. They also tend to be anti-climate change, pro-offshore drilling.

After Katrina, the libertarian sites were all rallying about how the response proved that government was incompetent, and how private charity launched a much better job with the rescue efforts. Complete bullshit, of course, but that's how their minds work.

Now? Nothing.
    There's been a lot of hate about libertarians here in this forum, not that I don't disagree with it all, but where did it come from?

nuka on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are these websites?

Now? Nothing.
    There's been a lot of hate about libertarians here in this forum, not that I don't disagree with it all, but where did it come from?

Oher than the fact that to be a libertarian, you need to have an acute unawareness of history?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are these websites?

Now? Nothing.

We're pretty well educated people, overall. Also, we lived the last 10 years.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are these websites?

Now? Nothing.

Oher than the fact that to be a libertarian, you need to have an acute unawareness of history?

Hey, don't worry about us down here on the Gulf Coast. I'm sure we'll be able to bootstrap our way out of this one. You guys just go about your business.

Drill baby, drill.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are these websites?

Now? Nothing.

Yes. :3

Maybe I shouldn't try to derail the thread. We remember how gas prices went skyrocketing several years ago, just how fucked up are we this time? I'm a little in shock right now. I know we get most of our oil from imports but Christ I'm trying save money and get a job so I can move out hopefully before the year is over and if the prices for everything are going to going up again this is really going to put me in a bind.

nuka on
This discussion has been closed.