As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gulf Coast Oil]: Spill, Baby Spill. Volunteer Info at the top of OP

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »
    New Captain Planet episode: Super villain blows up oil rigs around the world and turns the oceans into an oily soup.

Wait, aside from Bizarro Captain Planet, weren't the other villains basically just poachers and fat cat CEOs who were profiting from polluting? Destroying oil rigs seems counter productive if that's the case.

As I recall there were two CEOs, a poacher, an anti-Gaea, an amoral scientist, a rat man, animated nuclear waste, and maybe one or two others.

You remember far more about the show than I do. I just remember that there was a dude named Lutan Plunder.

I'm in the age range, where if the words "Earth" and "Fire" are uttered within 5 seconds of each other at least six people will finish in the correct order, and possibly sing the theme song.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    WIND

WATER

HEART!

Sheep on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    New Captain Planet episode: Super villain blows up oil rigs around the world and turns the oceans into an oily soup.

And Ted Turner is murdered. D:

That show is all kinds of fucked up.

Can we get a constitutional amendment that allows Ted Turner to dress up as captain planet and run around punching oil company executives in the dick, and they're not legally allowed to resist?

override367 on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Wait, aside from Bizarro Captain Planet, weren't the other villains basically just poachers and fat cat CEOs who were profiting from polluting? Destroying oil rigs seems counter productive if that's the case.

As I recall there were two CEOs, a poacher, an anti-Gaea, an amoral scientist, a rat man, animated nuclear waste, and maybe one or two others.

You remember far more about the show than I do. I just remember that there was a dude named Lutan Plunder.

I'm in the age range, where if the words "Earth" and "Fire" are uttered within 5 seconds of each other at least six people will finish in the correct order, and possibly sing the theme song.

Same. Anyone who says that Wheeler was the best Planeteer is still wrong, though.

EDIT: Also, Heart was the lamest power.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kwami never fully utilized his powers though. I didn't see a single dick forest in that series.

override367 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Can we get a constitutional amendment that allows Ted Turner to dress up as captain planet and run around punching oil company executives in the dick, and they're not legally allowed to resist?

*BLAP*...Captain Planet. *leaves*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You stay away from Pensacola, dangit.

Fly away on your wings of gold.

GungHo on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking this might be a good weekend to visit the beach. I probably haven't been there in about 10 years, and I only live about 10 minutes away. Might as well take in what might be lost here on the east coast of Florida.

SteevL on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: Also, Heart was the lamest power.

Ma Ti was the one that could take out all the others though. What're the other planeteers going to do when a tiger attacks them? Kill an endangered animal? I think not.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kwami never fully utilized his powers though. I didn't see a single dick forest in that series.

Thinking back on it, Gi had the best power overall, with Linka as a close second. Ether one of them could kill you with very little effort.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ma Ti had mind control powers. It is hard to beat that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Powers which didn't work on people who had no compassion or regard for others. Gi, meanwhile, could drown you in your own saliva, and Linka could suck all the air from your lungs.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Powers which didn't work on people who had no compassion or regard for others. Gi, meanwhile, could drown you in your own saliva, and Linka could suck all the air from your lungs.

I thought Linka's only power was being Tsundere.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I always hated Captain Planet. It felt like they packed all of the environmental movements creepiest elements into one package.

Drake on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Thinking back on it, Gi had the best power overall, with Linka as a close second. Ether one of them could kill you with very little effort.

Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to the Avatar thread... and it's glorious.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I always hated Captain Planet. It felt like they packed all of the environmental movements creepiest elements into one package.

Wheeler is tormented by a vision of a bleak future because he and Linka had seven children instead of two. Yeah.

Cantido on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's a guy on Newshour claiming there are things in the gulf that feed on crude oil. This strikes me as high octane BS. Can someone clear this up?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    There's a guy on Newshour claiming there are things in the gulf that feed on crude oil. This strikes me as high octane BS. Can someone clear this up?

Things. What those things are, he doesn't know. But they're there. Those things.

High Octane BS.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The guy is Kenneth Arnold. I'm still poking around for info on him.

MKR on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There are some fungi/bacteria that can break down crude oil, iirc. Don't know if they live in the ocean.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Things. What those things are, he doesn't know. But they're there. Those things.

High Octane BS.

Flying Polyps. We'll need to contain them with a massive Elder Sign afterward.

Drake on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Wheeler is tormented by a vision of a bleak future because he and Linka had seven children instead of two. Yeah.

Captain Planet was always a cop out. When you have a god damn supersonic aircraft that runs on god damn solar power why don't you just give us that technology and hey! World problems solved.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

*BLAP*...Captain Planet. *leaves*

Is it just me or are the voices different here?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Weren't they trying to develop bacteria that could pretty much break down oil/

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Captain Planet was always a cop out. When you have a god damn supersonic aircraft that runs on god damn solar power why don't you just give us that technology and hey! World problems solved.

Maybe they were waiting for patent approval.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/04/us.gulf.oil.spill.main/index.html?hpt=T2

It's officially hitting the wildlife refuges and marshes in Louisiana.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What are the chances that any new required design improvements that many other countries probably already require will be met with extreme resistance by the Republican party?

You seem to assume that many other countries have more stringent ecological requirements than we do. That isn't really the case. In fact, that's why oil companies based here often want to move drilling to other countries. It's also why as much as this should make us renew caution with drilling, we also need to realize that our not drilling means purchasing more oil from countries with much less stringent ecological concern. Not all countries have an EPA or anything like it.

As far as new required design improvements, the main thing is figuring out what happened with the blowout preventer. A friend of mine who's husband is part of the team responding mentioned this: "They did determined that some hydraulic controls on the BOP failed, but say those have since been fixed by the remote subs. Obviously, it's a puzzle because to take a quote from the Chronicle from a BP employee "there is nothing unique about the situation that was taking place at the time that would have prohibited the (blowout preventer) system from working as designed.” Some believe the blast was too powerful and the explosion itself damaged the BOP - creating an event beyond what BOP's are designed to handle." FWIW, drilling rigs have two, but the second one is on the actual platform. It may be that a way to have one midway up the line needs to be figured out.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

There are microbes that consume crude oil. Unfortunately, these microbes naturally don't occur in oceans in anything approaching significant quantities - because crude oil isn't found in oceans in significant quantities. There have been attempts/experiments to engineer these bacteria to suit the purposes of full-scale oil spill cleanup, but much of that work has been limited to controlled, small-scale laboratory work. Full-scale, in vivo deployment is generally considered some years of work away, never mind the level of effectiveness on a spill this large or the feasibility of even having enough bacteria to attack it.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Could they set the rigs up so that if there's a catastrophic failure, they sink on to the well and plug it up?

Too much pressure, I would expect.

A 35,000 ton rig wouldn't be enough weight? O:

There are a couple of factors to consider in this scenario. The average new well runs at about 12,000 psi. Drilling rigs like Deepwater Horizon are floating rigs that drill through a flexible tube (seriously amazing technology when you think about it). Thus, even if you could manage to have a floating rig collapse where you wanted it to in 5,000 feet of water, the pressure of the escaping oil would shove it away as it approached. It's not really a workable solution for any depth, but particularly not in 5,000ft of water.

As an example of the pressure here, they are building these huge tanks to deal with the two leaks left (the major ones). They're huge (I believe about 10 stories high), and they'll be dropped down over the leaks--5,000 feet down. They'll have lines attached, and the oil will fill the tanks and then ascend up the lines into tankers. All by itself. It's an incredible amount of pressure.

It really looks like the best future response will be to fabricate a number more of these tanks, and then have them at the ready for any company to use in the unlikely even that this does occur again. Had the tanks been ready beforehand, this would have been a far different scenario, essentially.

I hope the these collection domes work, but they have a few difficult factors working against them. They've only been deployed in relatively shallow water before for one thing. I don't think they've ever done this with ROVs and if that's the case I think it's likely the ROVs weren't designed with this sort of operation in mind. Maybe they are fine for it though, I don't know. Finally the riser pipe is snaking along the sea floor like a gigantic slow motion garden hose. Weather is also a factor. Lately it hasn't been so hot, maybe it'll be clear in time for deployment. Maybe not. We tend to get a lot of rain and wind this time of year. This operation, which I think is absolutely necessary to attempt, doesn't sound like a sure shot to me at all. Every time I read about it, it's always delivered with qualifying statements and a caveat of "we have no idea if this will work."

But yeah, they really should have shit like this on hand before the fact.

Yes, I do realize that they haven't used the collection tanks at this depth before. I suppose it would help if I explain where I'm coming from. I live in south Louisiana and my dad had almost 30 years as a production operator in the oil field before he started working as a well inspector for the Dept. of Natural Resources. So I just want to be clear I'm not just talking off the cuff when I talk about this. The weather has really been the worst enemy of the entire response effort so far. It's pretty clear now, though and hopefully it'll stay that way. Rain isn't an issue so much as the seas. It's been about 8-10 ft. out there lately, but with the weather system moving off, hopefully they'll be able to get things going faster. Also, the tanks they're using are being designed and fabricated for this scenario, so I think that increases the likelihood rather than using ones designed for shallow water in deep water. There's nothing really to do but see what happens.

I think they're very cautious about saying anything is guaranteed at this point. After all, this entire situation was pretty close to impossible odds of happening. Qualifying statements are everybody's best friend right now. If this does work, I'm thinking they'll be some more domes fabricated pretty shortly.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    hippofant wrote: »

There are microbes that consume crude oil. Unfortunately, these microbes naturally don't occur in oceans in anything approaching significant quantities - because crude oil isn't found in oceans in significant quantities. There have been attempts/experiments to engineer these bacteria to suit the purposes of full-scale oil spill cleanup, but much of that work has been limited to controlled, small-scale laboratory work. Full-scale, in vivo deployment is generally considered some years of work away, never mind the level of effectiveness on a spill this large or the feasibility of even having enough bacteria to attack it.

It'd be even better if we could get bacteria that could consume plastic in the Great Garbage Patches.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    hippofant wrote: »

It'd be even better if we could get bacteria that could consume plastic in the Great Garbage Patches.

That bacteria might be a little scary. haha

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Looking forward to the bacteria mutating and getting out of control.

Bacterial overlords, anyone?

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What are the chances that any new required design improvements that many other countries probably already require will be met with extreme resistance by the Republican party?

You seem to assume that many other countries have more stringent ecological requirements than we do. That isn't really the case. In fact, that's why oil companies based here often want to move drilling to other countries. It's also why as much as this should make us renew caution with drilling, we also need to realize that our not drilling means purchasing more oil from countries with much less stringent ecological concern. Not all countries have an EPA or anything like it.

Of industrialized nations, the US has the least regulations on offshore drilling. Brazil has tougher regulations than we do.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looking forward to the bacteria mutating and getting out of control.

Bacterial overlords, anyone?

That's one obvious concern with the idea of dumping a whole lot of genetically engineering bacteria into the ocean. They'd need to be aggressive in their consumption, survivable in different environments, non-harmful to extant ocean ecosystems, and their reproduction would need to be controllable somehow.

But the other concern is that bacteria are capable of transformation, which is the passing of genes between each other. So any genes that were in the genetically engineered bacteria that had just been unleashed en masse into the ocean could very well find its way into another strain of bacteria, and that could be much worse because we wouldn't have any sort of kill-switch to stop that, since it'd be basically a random wild bacteria.

hippofant on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm reminded of "I am Legend."

Though I guess that was a virus. And it was used to fight cancer. Instead of oil.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Of industrialized nations, the US has the least regulations on offshore drilling. Brazil has tougher regulations than we do.

The large portion of Brazil's economy is based on beach tourism. This is not surprising. Countries like Mexico, Nigeria, Angola, and Venezuela, though, from whom we buy far, far more oil than Brazil, not so much. Other industrialized nations may have higher environmental standards than we do, but those countries aren't necessarily the ones from which we generally buy oil. That was my original point, but I don't think I communicated that as clearly as I should have.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dude, Wheeler have the fucking power to

MELT EVERYBODIES FACES!!!

Fucking WoW Shadow Priest style. Colonel Roy Mustang without the gloves.

Of course, Wheeler never does that. He always do something stupid like melting the car tires so they wont get away, instead of just roasting everybody in the car.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Could they set the rigs up so that if there's a catastrophic failure, they sink on to the well and plug it up?

See pachinko. Good luck getting it to hit bottom in the right spot.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

See pachinko. Good luck getting it to hit bottom in the right spot.

Some sort of guidance system was meant to be implied in there.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh god, I just had long facebook debate with a stupid conservative friend of mine and one of his buddies. Thanks to my years of bare-knuckle arguing here on PA, I made them give up. Thanks, PA Forums!

Seriously, though, the idiots were doing the whole "Obama's Katrina" bullshit and were just so upset that anyone had the temerity to disagree. I really question why I continue to be friends with that guy.

wwtMask on
This discussion has been closed.