Options

Krazy Ken steps down! (SONY Reshuffles)

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    A couple of groups predicted that the PLAYSTATION 3 would follow the path that VIAO took to mediocrity. A couple of groups predicted that the PLAYSTATION 3 would take the path of the big white multi media PSX to out right failure. A couple of groups predicted thatt the PLAYSTATION 3 would take the path that the PS2 took to complete industry dominance and success. A couple of people predicted that the PS3 would take the path of the PSP and start out ok with a big media blitz but eventually get severly outshined by Nintendo's product.

The current status of the PS3 is no suprise.

Is the PSP gaining steam? Because I think that has been the best indicator so far.

It damn well should be. I don't understand it, a price drop and a great library of games, but very little has been happening with it. It really is a great system, but people can't seem to get over the Sony stigma.

There is the lack of decent ads and lack of advertisement in general for the games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    I think the problem is I've stopped seeing the Resistance commercial and I think the Motorstorm one is shit.

The need to make their 2 flagship games be advertisers everywhere and way better.

Fuck with Eye of Judgement slated for the fall now man they advertise that shit right and they have ever single kid who likes yu-gi-oh hooked because its almost exactly like in the show so now you have 3d monsters to go with the cards.

You just had every 5-12 year old wanting the PS3. Hell wasn't Konami looking into the EoJ tech for a yugioh game anyways? That free fucking money cause we know kids get what they want.

Are you implying whining kids will nag their parents to buying a 599 us dollar console for one yu-gi-oh game?

No. whining kids get their mom to buy them a Wii, cause its only 250 dollars. 599 is definetly not a random gift for a child.

Are you trying to tell me a 5-12 year old kid cares how much the fucking machine is? No they want to play the fucking game that is real like yu-gi-oh.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    It really is a great system, but people can't seem to get over the Sony stigma.
    I think the PSP is a fine system; I just don't think its a good portable one. The best selling titles on the system aren't exactly capable of a quick 3-5 minutes of play and stop like the biggest DS titles are.

Still, God of War PSP might force my hand.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the problem is I've stopped seeing the Resistance commercial and I think the Motorstorm one is shit.

The need to make their 2 flagship games be advertisers everywhere and way better.

Fuck with Eye of Judgement slated for the fall now man they advertise that shit right and they have ever single kid who likes yu-gi-oh hooked because its almost exactly like in the show so now you have 3d monsters to go with the cards.

You just had every 5-12 year old wanting the PS3. Hell wasn't Konami looking into the EoJ tech for a yugioh game anyways? That free fucking money cause we know kids get what they want.

Are you implying whining kids will nag their parents to buying a 599 us dollar console for one yu-gi-oh game?

No. whining kids get their mom to buy them a Wii, cause its only 250 dollars. 599 is definetly not a random gift for a child.

Are you trying to tell me a 5-12 year old kid cares how much the fucking machine is? No they want to play the fucking game that is real like yu-gi-oh.

But then their mom gets them pokeymans instead.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    A couple of groups predicted that the PLAYSTATION 3 would follow the path that VIAO took to mediocrity. A couple of groups predicted that the PLAYSTATION 3 would take the path of the big white multi media PSX to out right failure. A couple of groups predicted thatt the PLAYSTATION 3 would take the path that the PS2 took to complete industry dominance and success. A couple of people predicted that the PS3 would take the path of the PSP and start out ok with a big media blitz but eventually get severly outshined by Nintendo's product.

Is the PSP gaining steam? Because I think that has been the best indicator so far.

It damn well should be. I don't understand it, a price drop and a great library of games, but very little has been happening with it. It really is a great system, but people can't seem to get over the Sony stigma.

There is the lack of decent ads and lack of advertisement in general for the games.

It's a "stigma" now? 6 months ago it was a BRAND that people LOVED. What happened to all those people who swore up and down that because the PS2 was winning the console war that the PSP would near automatically win the handheld war?

Wasn't it a year ago that people were ringing the death bell for the Gameboy and Nintendo in general because "The only thing they have going for them is the hand held market and once Sony steps in everything will change"?

What did Sony do to loose all that PS2 loyalty?

graizur on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Katchem_ash, you are making it obvious that your entire concept of how international business works is "Japan is awesome, lol"

Agreed. I'd really hate if we lost the xbox360 and had a third fucking japaneses company making more of the same. I believe we're doing a lot better with Nintendo, Sony and MS.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

But then their mom gets them pokeymans instead.

Is Yugioh still popular?

Couscous on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    They didn't LOSE any loyalty for the PS2.

They just haven't transferred it to any of their further products, due to some unusual decisions over the past couple of years.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited April 2007

599 US dollars. How many people were claiming that the console would definitely be lower than x amount of dollars?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    But wonder hippy called it a "sony stigma" (check the edit).

As in the PSP isn't selling because it's sony. How did that happen?

graizur on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

It's a "stigma" now? 6 months ago it was a BRAND that people LOVED. What happened to all those people who swore up and down that because the PS2 was winning the console war that the PSP would near automatically win the handheld war?

Wasn't it a year ago that people were ringing the death bell for the Gameboy and Nintendo in general because "The only thing they have going for them is the hand held market and once Sony steps in everything will change"?

Yeah, all those people were claiming that? They just resigned.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

In my opinion it was that if you want a ps3 its a high cost of entry and the fact that if you want to play FPS games you likely already have a 360 so the allure of Resistance isn't really there as much.

So you say meh I can get a ps3 when it cheaper and you lose fanbase. Fanboys will buy shit but its the mainsteam that really counts.

Plus man people just don't get ps3 marketing so they dont know if they really want it or not.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Katchem_ash, you are making it obvious that your entire concept of how international business works is "Japan is awesome, lol"

This just dawned on you?

Rather than take it seriously, you could do what I do. Sit back and enjoy the high comedy that it is.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm glad he's gone. The company might not change, but at least he won't be running his crazy mouth at Sony press events.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still say that the position that the PSP has now ( in relation to the DS ) is the position that the PS3 will have 3-6 months from now in relation to the Wii. And Sony will say the same exact thing "We are not competing with the _insert_Nintendo_product_here_.

I can tell the FOOCHURRR!!!

graizur on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

This just dawned on you?

Rather than take it seriously, you could do what I do. Sit back and enjoy the high comedy that it is.

God no, "Japan is awesome, lol" is an undercurrent in all his posts, this is just the first time it has been used in an international business context (to my knowledge)

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still say that the position that the PSP has now ( in relation to the DS ) is the position that the PS3 will have 3-6 months from now in relation to the Wii. And Sony will say the same exact thing "We are not competing with the _insert_Nintendo_product_here_.

I can tell the FOOCHURRR!!!

I'm gonna say that's a safe enough statement when it comes to the PS3. Sure, they're both home consoles, but they appeal to different sensibilities. Yes, the amount of people spending money on the Wii instead of a PS3 will supposedly reduce the total PS3 sales. But the important question: would they have even bought a PS3 if the Wii didn't exist? I say nay, especially because of the mass appeal of the Wii as compared to the gamer appeal of the PS3.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Didnt Sony say the same about the 360.

That they arent competing with them either cause the PS3 aims for the higher end HD market and the 360 doesnt.

So who IS sony competing with? themselves?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm glad he's gone. The company might not change, but at least he won't be running his crazy mouth at Sony press events.

I'unno. I kinda liked nuggets like this

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”

Fugitive on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He's taught Kaz the ways of discipline, so don't worry.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

This just dawned on you?

God no, "Japan is awesome, lol" is an undercurrent in all his posts, this is just the first time it has been used in an international business context (to my knowledge)
    You should've seen him in one of the war-crimes threads in DnD.

That just made me go o_O

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, all those people were claiming that? They just resigned.

oh wonder_hippie, you so silly

That they arent competing with them either cause the PS3 aims for the higher end HD market and the 360 doesnt.

the answer is yes! and by the looks of this recent new, sony is winning the war! hurrah!

Guek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    WHY wrote: »

This just dawned on you?

That just made me go o_O

To tie this in with thread topic, I think of him as my own personal Ken. I know as soon as I see he's posted I'm gonna go O_o followed by some hearty :lol:

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well, they're kind of right. Who buys a 360? Gamers. Why buys a PS3? Gamers that like HD media. Unfortunately, for them to be right, it also means that they lose an immense amount of the market.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah but in market perception the Wii has a an effect on the PS3.

More interesting wotion controls.

smaller and sexier looking console design

wider market (IE grandma can play baby jesus can play Teenage Angry Kid can play etc)

Lower price

All these things have an effect on how the majority/mainstream view the PS3 as being inapropriate and sort of rediculous. Which undermines it's mainstream apeal. Meanwhile the 360 is mopping up all the smarties, online social gamers, platformer lovers, FPS frat boys, psuedo competitives, graphics whores etc.

PS3 get's the leftovers.

graizur on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

wider market (IE grandma can play baby jesus can play Teenage Angry Kid can play etc)

Lower price

All these things have an effect on how the majority/mainstream view the PS3 as being inapropriate and sort of rediculous. Which undermines it's mainstream apeal. Meanwhile the 360 is mopping up all the smarties, online social gamers, platformer lovers, FPS frat boys, psuedo competitives, graphics whores etc.

PS3 get's the leftovers.

'Baby Jesus plays Wii' needs to become an ad campaign

DesertBox on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But the important question: would they have even bought a PS3 if the Wii didn't exist? I say nay, especially because of the mass appeal of the Wii as compared to the gamer appeal of the PS3.

Do you honestly think that the Wii doesn't have any "gamer appeal"? If you define a gamer as a graphics whore or someone who mainly plays online first person shooters then maybe I can understand, but your implication that the Wii isn't keeping people from buying a PS3 (at least within the next couple of years) is O_o

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Lower price

PS3 get's the leftovers.

The price point is repulsive to people with or without the Wii. I'd wager that the sales wouldn't have changed much if the PS3 was in its current state and the Wii never existed.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Lower price

PS3 get's the leftovers.

'Baby Jesus plays Wii' needs to become an ad campaign

or maybe there should be a big flashy sticker on the box that says "JESUS APPROVED" or maybe "JESUS SEAL OF QUALITY." or maybe they should get some pope endorsement....

i wonder if that could turn things around for sony. there's the secret to winning the console wars! the vatican!

Guek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    But the important question: would they have even bought a PS3 if the Wii didn't exist? I say nay, especially because of the mass appeal of the Wii as compared to the gamer appeal of the PS3.

Do you honestly think that the Wii doesn't have any "gamer appeal"? If you define a gamer as a graphics whore or someone who mainly plays online first person shooters then maybe I can understand, but your implication that the Wii isn't keeping people from buying a PS3 (at least within the next couple of years) is O_o

Nah, I'm not suggesting that. I'm a gamer, and I've got one. I love the damned thing. I'm just saying that few people would buy a Wii instead of a PS3, they just never would have bought the PS3 in the first place.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The Wii's low price point makes the PS3's high price point unneccesary. The average mom (purchaser of toys) doesn't know all the little techno facts.

It's NOT like cars because people are use to cars coming in different price ranges for different quality/features. People are still use to game consoles being priced relitively simmmilar.

And it's not just the Wii. Both the lower price of the Wii and the 360 make the PS3 look like something not to be purchased.

graizur on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Do you're saying the Wii has no impact on PS3 sales, it is merely Sony failing on their own rather than the competition beating them.

That is just plain wrong.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wintendf300.jpg

wtf? what is that supposed to mean

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Do you're saying the Wii has no impact on PS3 sales, it is merely Sony failing on their own rather than the competition beating them.

It has a negligible one. Seriously, when was the last time you saw one in stock for more than fifteen minutes? Their absense isn't making PS3s fly off the shelves.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You people realise we already saw crazy Ken get kicked upstairs and Kaz Hirai go from SCEA to SCE to replace him a few months back, right? So this is Kaz getting kicked upstairs and whoever is replacing him becoming the one with the real power.

wateyad on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

It has a negligible one. Seriously, when was the last time you saw one in stock for more than fifteen minutes? Their absense isn't making PS3s fly off the shelves.

What is happening is people go to buy a PS3 and end up with a Wii instead, mainly due to the price.

Casual, non gamers of course.

The vast void that the Wii leaves because there are none on shelves is filled nicely by the legions of PS3s sitting on shelves the world over. There two scenarios arent unrelated.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

no, i think what he's saying does have some merit. if the wii didn't exist, a lot of people still wouldn't purchase the ps3 because

1. gawd awful marketing
    2. cheaper 360 alternative

the wii beating the ps3, well yeah the credit goes to nintendo. but they didn't make the ps3 do mediocre. i think sony did that all by themselves.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Consoles don't work that way. The PS2's absence didn't make the Dreamcast sell a lot either, but the PS2 certainly helped harm the sales of the Dreamcast.

Couscous on
  • Options
    chomamadogchomamadog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    WHY wrote: »

This just dawned on you?

That just made me go o_O

To tie this in with thread topic, I think of him as my own personal Ken. I know as soon as I see he's posted I'm gonna go O_o followed by some hearty :lol:

Stop the Katchem bashing for the love of my job. People keep walking by giving me looks because I'm laughing so much.

Seriously though, that's a good 5 or so well warranted, funny shots at the guy.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote:
    What is happening is people go to buy a PS3 and end up with a Wii instead, mainly due to the price.

See, yeah, I doubt that. I doubt they're going with the intent of getting a PS3 and winding up with a Wii. They're going with an intent of getting a game console for little Billy the retard. When they see a $600 console, regardless of what's around it, they're not about to put that much money down on it.

Wonder_Hippie on