Options

Dragon Strikes [Chat]

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    mmmmmmm Verkläte Nacht

even if he had just written that, he would have been a legend

love me some Schönny
    it always amuses me to see Schoenberg and Webern become synonymous with the kind of music that causes people to flee that concert halls

when they basically epitomized romanticism in their early music

it's true! I think that Schönberg even sounds more like Wagner than Mahler.
    I used to frequent a classical forum and there was always a handful of goonish anti-modernist types who'd dismiss most post-1912 composers as hacks

perplexingly, one of the most virulent of the group practically fetishized Wagner

I love it when modernist people get dismissed as hacks. It might be a valid claim for certain postmodern artists, but most of the early moderns were academically trained and could bust out the old beaux arts if they wanted to.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mmmmmmm Verkläte Nacht

even if he had just written that, he would have been a legend

love me some Schönny
    it always amuses me to see Schoenberg and Webern become synonymous with the kind of music that causes people to flee that concert halls

when they basically epitomized romanticism in their early music

it's true! I think that Schönberg even sounds more like Wagner than Mahler.
    I used to frequent a classical forum and there was always a handful of goonish anti-modernist types who'd dismiss most post-1912 composers as hacks

perplexingly, one of the most virulent of the group practically fetishized Wagner

Were you on the StormFront forums?
    no

it was a little creepier than that

Elendil on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    btw here's that robot music I was talking about earlier

Jean-Baptiste Laurier -- The Ghost who Hurt the Most are the Ones You've Forgotten

it's

uhhh

it's loud

watch out

I just inadvertently flushed my coolant. D:

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Hey, I like that song and wanted something less predictable than Godzilla or Don't Fear The Reaper.

And as BOC music videos go, it doesn't feature Buck Dharma in gold lame, so it wins by default.

Buck Dharma without gold lame isn't Buck Dharma.

Everyone else, blame Thomamelas.

Much better.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    preacher is basically bender bending rodriguez

---

my favorite bbq sauces are sweet and tangy. i don't like spicy/vinegary sauces.

Why don't you just go down to the Aldi and pick up some powdered milk and off-brand Crispy Rice cereal?

:(

this hits all too close to home

Can't lob the bombs unless you know how they're made. Things will improve.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Honk: why did you feel like they were "written to piss you off"? What made you angry?

They were constantly annoying.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's... not true at all.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I'm sorry, Arch, I didn't realize that that was a serious question. I was just fucking around.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wazilla wrote: »

Look when a man is drowning you don't throw him an anvil.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Man, I'm sorry, Arch, I didn't realize that that was a serious question. I was just fucking around.

Naw dude its cool

I kinda made him qualify it as a serious question before I actually answered it

Arch on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Unless he's drowning in mercury because someone fitted him with some gold shoes.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Arch wrote: »

Naw dude its cool

it was serious from the get go but it did cross my mind to joke about it once or twice

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

But if he's on fire I might pee on him although other less derogatory methods of fire extinguishing may be available.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Naw dude its cool

I fucking hate the obvious jokes people make when hearing something like that.

Like I said, if I'd've thought he was for real, I wouldn't have said anything. I get the same fucking jokes about my name every time I hand a credit card to someone. It got old long ago.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Naw dude its cool

it was serious from the get go but it did cross my mind to joke about it once or twice

I understand, but the way it was initially proposed smacked of the kind of set up to jokes that I have heard since my peers realized what a blowjob was

Arch on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Naw dude its cool

Like I said, if I'd've thought he was for real, I wouldn't have said anything. I get the same fucking jokes about my name every time I hand a credit card to someone. It got old long ago.

When I hear jokes about my name, I just use it as an opportunity to drive home just how unoriginal the joke is. If I have to cringe hearing it, they get to cringe at my reply.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    00000341.png

makin up for lost time

So someone merged XKCD and Achewood with the needlessly long form of VGCats.

That's funny.

I mean, in the meta sense. Like how you'd laugh if a dog, a cat, and a deck of cards were combined with Jeff Goldblum.

But not funny in content. No sir.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    sheep that was an excellent metaphor

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Naw dude its cool

When I hear jokes about my name, I just use it as an opportunity to drive home just how unoriginal the joke is. If I have to cringe hearing it, they get to cringe at my reply.

I changed my name because I was tired of getting the "Question, Mark? hahaha" line. WEll, partially. The other is that Mark just sucks for a name and Turing is soooo much better.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any of you familiar with SWOT Analysis?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    So someone merged XKCD and Achewood with the needlessly long form of VGCats.

That's funny.

I mean, in the meta sense. Like how you'd laugh if a dog, a cat, and a deck of cards were combined with Jeff Goldblum.

But not funny in content. No sir.

You suck.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Any of you familiar with SWOT Analysis?

Somewhat. Are you my marketing prof?

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Naw dude its cool

I changed my name because I was tired of getting the "Question, Mark? hahaha" line. WEll, partially. The other is that Mark just sucks for a name and Turing is soooo much better.

I have literally been waiting for this for so long you have no idea.

almost everytime I load up facebook i was like "is his name REALLY turing or is that facebook shenanigans?"

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    KAKOS WAIT

how did google go

did it go yet

Arch on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    sheep that was an excellent metaphor

I really try to please you guys sometimes. I do.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Naw dude its cool

almost everytime I load up facebook i was like "is his name REALLY turing or is that facebook shenanigans?"

You... could have asked. But my name is really Turing, but I wasn't born Turing.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We need an Arch centrifuge.

Like get one of those pilot training g-force thingies the airforce or NASA or whoever uses and turn the cockpit 90 degrees.

Just hop in after every meal.

This may not actually be a good or healthy idea...

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Naw dude its cool

You... could have asked. But my name is really Turing, but I wasn't born Turing.

I felt it was rude....but in retrospect given who I would be asking I realize now that the barriers on what is "rude" in the context of asking you questions is kind of high

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Naw dude its cool

I'm not going to change my last name, it's too much effort.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    When people give me shit about my name I have God flatten their city

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

Like get one of those pilot training g-force thingies the airforce or NASA or whoever uses and turn the cockpit 90 degrees.

True story- I thought about this one time

I planned to test it by lying down on a merry-go round thing that kids can spin real fast.

You know, the ones that generate a lot of outward force?

Strap myself in, feet outwards and have someone spin it really fast after I ate to see if it helps

Arch on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't know if I'm going to take Choco's name when I get married. I've been MISS FANCY PANTS MCGEE my entire life, I don't want to be LORD PIZZA ROLLS, KING OF NEWFOUNDLAND. But he is the only guy in his generation of EL CHOCOSTEINS, so he has to pass the name on.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I don't think it would work. It would just simulate gravity pointing in a different direction. An inclined bed would have the same effect.

Or do you mean like, 5gs, forcing that food down. Because that could work...

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    my name is boring

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    actually galahad now I really want to try it

worst case scenario I get really really nauseous, and thanks to both my lack of peristalsis and the nissin fundoplication I can't throw up!

win/win!

Arch on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My name is on papers... so I'd be pretty much screwing myself if I changed it at this point.

No first authors yet of course, still.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I don't know if I'm going to take Choco's name when I get married. I've been MISS FANCY PANTS MCGEE my entire life, I don't want to be LORD PIZZA ROLLS, KING OF NEWFOUNDLAND. But he is the only guy in his generation of EL CHOCOSTEINS, so he has to pass the name on.

He doesn't have to pass it on to you, just the kids.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The last few pages of the vegetarian thread make me glad I don't live on Planet Asshole.

Since that's the only way these issues could actually come up in real life.

"Hey, thanks for inviting me to a dinner party several weeks ago. Now, as it's mere moments before we eat, let me haughtily remind you of my very specific dietary needs and how the current meal fails to satisfy them, thus making you a horrible host and a worse human being."

"Wait, what? Why the fuck didn't you bother telling me any of this when you RSVP'ed several weeks ago? And why are you wearing an astronaut costume?"

"The answer to both questions is that I am a visitor from Planet Asshole!"

Lawndart on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

True story- I thought about this one time

I planned to test it by lying down on a merry-go round thing that kids can spin real fast.

You know, the ones that generate a lot of outward force?

Strap myself in, feet outwards and have someone spin it really fast after I ate to see if it helps
    tattoo the path your GI tract takes on your abdomen
    magnets
    lots of them
    in your food
    big magnet in your hand after lunch
    enjoy

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    goddamit lawndart that made me laugh a lot