As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] Adventure Time!

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah neither do I. I mean I listened to some ICP in high school. I also listened to Korn and Limp Bizkit. Then I grew the fuck up.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, see, one of them found this book by L. Ron Hubbard, and saw "If you want to get rich, you start a religion.", and a few years later...

Note: I may or may not have made this up entirely.

I try not to hold people's tastes against them. I have enjoyed (and enjoy, and will continue to enjoy) some questionable music, books, movies and other media. My iphone, computer, bookshelves and dvd shelves all contain things I'm proud to say I enjoy, and some guilty pleasures.

But at the same time, devout fellowship with certain groups, ideologies or whatnot can be off-putting.

It's a double edged sword; while on one hand I believe that people should be judged based on who they are and what they do, there is also something to be said for what affiliations they're willing to make, especially publically. Admitting you enjoy some trashy novels is one thing. Gushing at length about your adoration of the Twilight saga is something else.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah the comment about growing up is a little harsh. I still listen to Korn though I don't seek it out. Lord knows I like some things people would find crappy (ex: going to see Tool beginning of July, which some people have an odd reaction to). I guess I'm not trying to be judgmental of people's tastes so much as, like you illustrated, taking those tastes to an awkward extreme.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    You people apologize for such innocuous comments.

Anyways, ICP started building their cult of personality sometimes around when they opened up their own wrestling federation (after both WWF and WCW dumped them for being unprofessional jackasses). So sometime around 2001. It's pretty akin to a cult.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    If you posted it once and we missed it just post again, sometimes things get missed.

If you're talking about lack of response ala potential date then post it so we can see if we have any tips.

Either way, POST IT

Ok.

http://www.plentyoffish.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=18809377

Haven't bothered to update it in awhile however.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    GildedGilded Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    On a related note, I too need your assistance.

Gilded on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gilded wrote: »

kill the bit about the zombie apocalypse in the "i'm good at" section. it's kinda played out. otherwise it looks a-ok!

retrovm on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    Gilded wrote: »

kill the bit about the zombie apocalypse in the "i'm good at" section. it's kinda played out. otherwise it looks a-ok!

I dont know man, I actualy got into a serious relationship by telling a girl who was all about some zombies about how she should date me because I had advanced survival skills vital to surviving Z-Day.

I mean it probably helped that it was specificaly targeted at that one girl and she really, really liked zombies....so...yeah, it might have been a good call to tone it down.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the idea is that it's totally overplayed, especially with the geek/nerd male population on dating sites. It's come up a few times in this thread (or previous ones). Not necessarily a bad thing, but probably better off cutting it (avoid its clichéd nature).

LaOs on
  • Options
    GildedGilded Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Good call. I left Zombie Survival Guide in favorite books so if there's that mythical nerd girl out there looking for someone to help kill dead-heads with her post Z-day she'll know what's up. Dropped it from the things I'm good at though.

Gilded on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Anyway, juggalos are more the hardcore fans of the group, and tend to take the fandom to extremes unusual to most other band fanbases - considering themselves to be a "family." In some areas, they've effectively become gangs, perform violent acts. Schools ban kids from wearing the stuff, their mark is people painting their faces like the singers, etc. It's, at the very least, some borderline skeezy stuff. Someone having a tattoo associated with the band would imply that they've at least dabbled/been exposed to those aspects of the band fandom, which is, at the very least, something to consider when considering the sort of person you want to date.
    So, basically... it's like some Trekkers filing their teeth into points and going around robbing people while shouting in Klingon?
    Those high schoolers were impressionable and grew up.

I really don't know why this happened with this specific band.
    I had an an Iron Maiden patch on my jacket and swore I'd be a headbanger for life.

Then my balls dropped and I decided I wanted to go play with titties.

GungHo on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I could do with some more feedback, if anyone has the time
    www.okcupid.com/profile/darklingtears

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    to those with experience meeting people they're matched with on OKCupid:

how accurate is okc's match %? I am only >90% with a few girls in my area, and reading one's profile there was a lot of stuff that sounded like I could've written about myself. The others, not so much.
    My highest matches are all 3-7 years older than me as well D:

Sam on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My highest matches are all 3-7 years older than me as well

I dont see whats the big deal with that???

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The internet just told me about this website if anyone wants to be a sugar daddy/mommy/baby: http://www.seekingarrangement.com/index.php

And before you're all calling me a perv, it was this vanity fair article: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/05/seeking-arrangement-201005

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm opening my profile back up to you guys, SINCE SPACEMILK NEVER GOT BACK TO ME

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/justinsane07

I don't know what exactly is wrong with it. Does it not have enough pizazz? Some zing? Maybe some zang? I don't really know what's missing.

And some examples of messages I've sent. This one is an IceBreaker that popped up with "She likes Pulp Fiction!"
    The icebreaker tells me you like Pulp Fiction. I hope you're not a
    ______
    | |
    |_____|

(that was my best attempt at drawing a square)

This is witty and clever right? I mean it's not creepy or anything? Would you respond to this?

This is a more traditional message I sent a female.
    about being on a dating site. It's hard to meet people in an area you don't really know. The internet is one of the easier ways to do so.

Which leads me to introducing myself. My name is Mike and I like rap music to but I have to ask, how the hell did you get into liking both country and rap? There couldn't be a bigger oil/water mix in all of music than those two genres.

Thanks,
    Mike

PS: Tall girls with red hair are fantastic.

I got this response.
    Haha I don't know, I just like upbeat music I guess. Like I said, I'm pretty much all over the place. I tend to dislike "down home" country music and I tend to dislike hardcore rap.

PS Thank you :)

So I replied with
    What's the difference between down home country music and uh, the rest of country music?

And got nothing. Her profile doesn't even exist anymore (granted, this was in March). Did I go wrong somewhere? Or was I fine? I don't even know anymore.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    to those with experience meeting people they're matched with on OKCupid:

how accurate is okc's match %? I am only >90% with a few girls in my area, and reading one's profile there was a lot of stuff that sounded like I could've written about myself. The others, not so much.
    My highest matches are all 3-7 years older than me as well D:

It's as accurate as you are honest in the questions. From what I've seen, if a potential match fails a mandatory question, it gives them +~8% enemy. Very important is ~6%, and then on down.

My 90%+ dates were all pretty smooth.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is a more traditional message I sent a female.
    about being on a dating site. It's hard to meet people in an area you don't really know. The internet is one of the easier ways to do so.

Which leads me to introducing myself. My name is Mike and I like rap music to but I have to ask, how the hell did you get into liking both country and rap? There couldn't be a bigger oil/water mix in all of music than those two genres.

Thanks,
    Mike

PS: Tall girls with red hair are fantastic.

I got this response.
    Haha I don't know, I just like upbeat music I guess. Like I said, I'm pretty much all over the place. I tend to dislike "down home" country music and I tend to dislike hardcore rap.

PS Thank you :)

So I replied with
    What's the difference between down home country music and uh, the rest of country music?

And got nothing. Her profile doesn't even exist anymore (granted, this was in March). Did I go wrong somewhere? Or was I fine? I don't even know anymore.
    what did you do wrong? it feels to me like you're making fun of her/attacking her without knowing her......both those questions seem pretty much like you're calling her stupid and i'm pretty shocked she even replied in the first place

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jean wrote: »

somehow I doubt 29 year old women would overlook the age difference with a 23 y/o man very easily. Women mature faster than men to begin with, and tend to prefer men a few years older.

Sam on
  • Options
    Dead ComputerDead Computer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

somehow I doubt 29 year old women would overlook the age difference with a 23 y/o man very easily. Women mature faster than men to begin with, and tend to prefer men a few years older.

And then they realize they're going to be around older men pretty much their entire life and decide to try to get a young one for at least a while before it's too late forever.

Dead Computer on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The internet just told me about this website if anyone wants to be a sugar daddy/mommy/baby: http://www.seekingarrangement.com/index.php

And before you're all calling me a perv, it was this vanity fair article: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/05/seeking-arrangement-201005

lol
    I took a deep breath and posted my profile, determined to focus on New York–based single men claiming to be worth at least $10 million...
    Then I saw his net worth—$100 million—and the amount he was willing to spend on a girlfriend: $10,000 to $20,000 per month. That would be enough to cover my living expenses and leave me with thousands in disposable income. The rest of Hank’s profile, which told me that he was middle-aged, played sports, and worked in finance, was of less interest.
    By the time Darrell, a divorced man in his late 40s worth between $50 million and $100 million, contacted me, I was relieved to hear from a potentially worthy candidate.

All I need to know.
    :3

The article is interesting I guess, but I don't think it's shocking or anything. She doesn't even go through with it.

At least everyone on that website is being honest with their intentions. From my times on the forums of OKCupid and *shudder* PoF, a lot of dudes think that women are completely mercenary as a rule rather than an exception.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Most of my matches are 24-25 year old Women :winky: in other states D: Who I have to ask them odd things about thier profiles in order to get a reply sigh

I know some of you looked at my profile but still I really don't know how I should fill it out

Brainleech on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The guys that have checked out my profile here have a higher percentage than ANY of the females I'm tried to contact.

I say numbers are just numbers. Take a chance.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010

And then they realize they're going to be around older men pretty much their entire life and decide to try to get a young one for at least a while before it's too late forever.

oh yeah, definitely a lot of cougars on OKC. I guess I just had this one girl in mind, 90 something percent match, but the main thing was that I identified with pretty much everything she said about herself personality wise. But she looks like she's looking for something serious, and I find it hard to picture her going for someone 7 years younger and still in school.

Sam on
  • Options
    CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think this is the perfect time to restate this thread's motto.
    Out of your league? Son. Let women figure out why they won’t screw you, don’t do it for them.

Celethang on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Anyway, juggalos are more the hardcore fans of the group, and tend to take the fandom to extremes unusual to most other band fanbases - considering themselves to be a "family." In some areas, they've effectively become gangs, perform violent acts. Schools ban kids from wearing the stuff, their mark is people painting their faces like the singers, etc. It's, at the very least, some borderline skeezy stuff. Someone having a tattoo associated with the band would imply that they've at least dabbled/been exposed to those aspects of the band fandom, which is, at the very least, something to consider when considering the sort of person you want to date.
    So, basically... it's like some Trekkers filing their teeth into points and going around robbing people while shouting in Klingon?
    Those high schoolers were impressionable and grew up.

I really don't know why this happened with this specific band.
    I had an an Iron Maiden patch on my jacket and swore I'd be a headbanger for life.

Then my balls dropped and I decided I wanted to go play with titties.

Did your balls drop before, or after you joined the Marines?

Because I'm toltaly picturing you as some metal addict getting off the bus for Basic, all thinking you're bad ass as shit.

It's an amusing picture in my head, even though I'm sure it has no basis in reality.

@Justinsane
    You ever think about taking a picture with a normal smile?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I mentioned a few pages back that I had a date or two this week? Yeah, that kinda fizzled out. I told her I was working wednesday (I was) but that thursday and friday were free, with a couple of hours of work on the weekend (Sat/Sun). So tuesday, I go up to see her (she works at a local grocery store) and pick up some mushrooms and bread to make a nice Italian dinner on thursday. I say "hi" while I was there.

Then my temp agency calls as I'm leaving the store and says they have work for me. Great! It's wednesday, thursday and possibly friday from 4pm-2am. I text the girl and tell her this. Her response, and I paraphrase, "That's a good excuse when you don't want to meet someone."
    This was in a non-joking manner because when I tried to explain it to her via text (and even offered a make-up/different date on the weekend), I never got a response back.

So if she's going to act that way, maybe it's for the best...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I could do with some more feedback, if anyone has the time
    www.okcupid.com/profile/darklingtears

I would dump the "So, basically" at the beginning of your profile. Basically is a word that can almost always be avoided, and the so sounds like it's a rejoinder to something. In general, there seem to be too many qualifying adverbs. For example:

"I really do prefer personality to looks, but I'm very vulnerable to a pretty smile." The really sounds like you're trying to convince somebody because you're saying it in an unconvincing tone of voice - it's a verbal problem that is overcome simply by removing the really.

"I prefer personality to looks, but I'm still vulnerable to a pretty smile" to me sounds a lot better.

"I'm mainly looking for someone to talk to." sounds a bit like you're lonely to me, I don't know if that's the intention. Maybe go for something more like "My main interest is in finding a fun and interesting conversation partner", or something of that ilk.
    oh yeah, definitely a lot of cougars on OKC. I guess I just had this one girl in mind, 90 something percent match, but the main thing was that I identified with pretty much everything she said about herself personality wise. But she looks like she's looking for something serious, and I find it hard to picture her going for someone 7 years younger and still in school.

A lot of women I know find it flattering when they're asked out by younger men - it makes them feel like they look younger than they are or appear to be young at heart. It's no disadvantage to be going for an older lady! Plus, you get to stand out from her normal applicants by dint of having broken the age boundary.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Good news everyone! I just got an e-mail from OKC

Subject: BitOfADork, we have data on your attractiveness
    8637040531295160420.jpeg= good-looking
    BitOfADork:

We are very pleased to report that you are in the top half of OkCupid's most attractive users. The scales recently tipped in your favor, and we thought you'd like to know.

How can we say this with confidence? We've tracked click-thrus on your photo and analyzed other people's reactions to you in QuickMatch and Quiver.
    . . .

Your new elite status comes with one important privilege:
    You will now see more attractive people in your match results.

This new status won't affect your actual match percentages, which are still based purely on your answers and desired match's answers. But the people we recommend will be more attractive. Also! You'll be shown to more attractive people in their match results.
    . . .

Suddenly, the world is your oyster. Login now and reap the rewards. And, no, we didn't just send this email to everyone on OkCupid. Go ask an ugly friend and see.

Well ugly friends, is this true?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Good news everyone! I just got an e-mail from OKC

Subject: BitOfADork, we have data on your attractiveness
    8637040531295160420.jpeg= good-looking
    BitOfADork:

We are very pleased to report that you are in the top half of OkCupid's most attractive users. The scales recently tipped in your favor, and we thought you'd like to know.

How can we say this with confidence? We've tracked click-thrus on your photo and analyzed other people's reactions to you in QuickMatch and Quiver.
    . . .

Your new elite status comes with one important privilege:
    You will now see more attractive people in your match results.

This new status won't affect your actual match percentages, which are still based purely on your answers and desired match's answers. But the people we recommend will be more attractive. Also! You'll be shown to more attractive people in their match results.
    . . .

Suddenly, the world is your oyster. Login now and reap the rewards. And, no, we didn't just send this email to everyone on OkCupid. Go ask an ugly friend and see.

Well ugly friends, is this true?

Well OKC does quiver some pretty ugly people to me, so I guess it might be.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The best part is that because I'm statistically pretty, they aren't going to show me any more uggos

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like how my quiver somehow had a straight guy in it this week, despite his and mine lack of interest in dudes. Good job, OKC.

wallaka on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like how my quiver somehow had a straight guy in it this week, despite his and mine lack of interest in dudes. Good job, OKC.

It's telling you that he's not your soul-mate

he's your soul-bro

You must hang out with this dude.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wallaka wrote: »
    I like how my quiver matches are in the northern USA. I mean, granted, the border is just an hour away, but I'm not going to go to another country for a freaking first date.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Richy, it's still within that 800-mile radius that OKC uses for quiver matches despite your filter being set to 25 miles. Yeah, I want to date somebody in Texas...I just don't live anywhere near there.

wallaka on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I continue to loathe the "maybe you should check out..." list at the top left. Even when it's right, it's wrong.

I clicked one of the people on the list yesterday, and woah, she had a good picture up, a well written profile and our interests seemed to mesh perfectly.

She last logged on in January.

That might make it a wee bit difficult to get in touch.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    how the hell did you get into liking both country and rap? There couldn't be a bigger oil/water mix in all of music than those two genres.

Not that unusual. At least half the girls in my high school listened to rap and country. They didn't listen to older country like Johnny Cash, but ate up that "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" crap.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    how the hell did you get into liking both country and rap? There couldn't be a bigger oil/water mix in all of music than those two genres.

Not that unusual. At least half the girls in my high school listened to rap and country. They didn't listen to older country like Johnny Cash, but ate up that "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" crap.
    yeah it's really not unusual....i actually myself am pretty into hiphop and country (albeit less mainstream, alt country really)....

but i think the real problem is that it doesn't come across as "i find this interesting, tell me more" as it comes across as "what kind of an idiot are you?"...it could be worded in a much better way....

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »

yeah it's really not unusual....i actually myself am pretty into hiphop and country (albeit less mainstream, alt country really)....

but i think the real problem is that it doesn't come across as "i find this interesting, tell me more" as it comes across as "what kind of an idiot are you?"...it could be worded in a much better way....

If I remember correctly, as her profile is now deleted, it was like "I like country and rap! How strange is that?! lol!" was in her music section. So it's not really out there for a question. Probably should have put that context in.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wallaka wrote: »
    Do you have activity partners/friendship checked as what you're interested in? I do, and I always have female quiver matches, which is OK because I'm looking to meet more friends, male or female. I don't actualy even have relationship options checked.

Also it may base it a bit off your searches. Occasionally I'll search for girls, and when I do that, I notice my next Quiver email will be half or even mostly girls.

AND JUSTINSANE I WILL GET TO YOUR MOTHER GOOSING PROFILE WHEN I GET TO IT

GOT IT?

edit: Also I would say the problem with asking a question like "hmm it's weird that you like country AND rap" is that she's already commented that it's weird; where else can you go from there? What kind of conversation can come out of that? her: "Yeah uh it IS weird, like I said..." You: "Ahh.... yup. Mmhmm." her: "*no response*". I know it may not seem fair, because in a conversation the onus should really be on both parties to keep it going, but let's face it - she doesn't have to message you back, and if you make her work for the conversation when YOU messaged HER, she's just not going to respond.

The trick is to ask very open-ended but interesting/funny/amusing questions. If I weren't at work I would post some of the better messages I've gotten.... I will try to do that sometime.

Spacemilk on