Options

Prince of Persia: The Movie

ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod.Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
There's no thread for this film yet? Really?

Saw it yesterday, and it wasn't too bad. Wasn't all that great, either, but it was fun and featured scantily clad hot chicks and Jake Gyllenhaal doing cool stuff.

Spoiler-free mini-review:

All the pieces were in place, and the movie had fun bits, but overall it never seemed to achieve a real sense of buy-in. I wanted to see what happened next, but I didn't much care about the folks involved, nor did I see them as anything more than one-dimensional plot-advancement vehicles. Of course, it was a summer popcorn flick, so that sorta goes with the territory.

The movie did play well with the license, and employed camera work and stage creation that clearly brought to mind the video games. The "Sands of Time" situations and effects were pretty cool, but underused. I was hoping for more scenes in which the Prince used the dagger to pull off awesome precognitive feats, but we only get one such scene, and you saw it in the trailer.

Oh, and the plot kind of forgets it exists at the end:
We're told that if the Sand Glass is broken and the sand's powers used to travel far back in time, the world will be destroyed. And then that happens. Except the world doesn't get destroyed. Because it was used for good? I guess? Whatever, the special effects were pretty.

It's no Iron Man, but it's serviceable, and for a flick based on a game it's pretty excellent.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    Also, I saw a trailer for The Sorceror's Apprentice, which involves Nicholas Cage teaching some random kid how to be a magic-wielding superhero. It's a Disney movie, and so I am forced to wonder if this is supposed to be the world's flimsiest use of an existing IP, or if the name of the movie is just an unfortunate coincidence.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I agree with what you said completely, Jeffe. Jake managed a few moments of awkwardness, which were nice character touches that could have been fleshed out better to actually give his character a distinct personality (not really his fault since the dialogue was pretty bad). Molina provided some levity (the noble ostrich!) and most of the supporting cast was decent.

As you mentioned, the plot unravels at the end.
    Did Dastan manage to close the dagger's hilt at the end before too much of the sand ran out? Is that the explanation? Because it made no goddamn sense and, in some ways, made me irritated. Nothing that happened before really mattered. It was like a cheap "but it was all a dream!" gimmicks.

Bleh.

Lastly, we're in Persia; why is everyone speaking with English accents?

sanstodo on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Also, I saw a trailer for The Sorceror's Apprentice, which involves Nicholas Cage teaching some random kid how to be a magic-wielding superhero. It's a Disney movie, and so I am forced to wonder if this is supposed to be the world's flimsiest use of an existing IP, or if the name of the movie is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Seems like it's really based on the Fantasia segment.

Seriously.

Julius on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As far as I've figured out what happens at the end:
    The world at the time was destroyed, but perhaps not exactly in the way that they understood? Emerging in time in order to stop his uncle earlier, the events of the movie technically never occur as the timeline is edited and averts that future... but the Prince knows they did happen, regardless. If I recall, messing with the Sands like that causes some unpleasant ramifications in the later games of the series, although I admit to having barely played those.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I saw the movie last night and enjoyed it, it was good fantasy action fun.

About the ending I saw it as
    the princess's self sacrifice paralling that of the myth appeased to the gods and they stopped the worlds destruction

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    Any of those interpretations work well enough, I suppose. Alternately: a wizard did it.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any of those interpretations work well enough, I suppose. Alternately: a wizard did it.

You mean Nicholas Cage did it.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So this is actually watchable then? Although the special effects looked good, the trailers really turned me away from this. I might check this out when it goes on DVD or something.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They made a trilogy based on a boat ride in a theme park, maybe they're going for the "Just how thin of a plot can we base a movie on".

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't actually gotten round to playing any Prince of Persia game since the original, so my thoughts on the film are based on the film alone.

It kinda felt like Disney were trying to make the Pirates of the Carribean lightning strike twice. We're in a world largely based in physical reality with a few supernatural elements. The action scenes are pretty, and I liked the "shootout", but I think it lacked the comedy undercurrents that made PotC successful. Yeah, the nondom tax dodger was funny, but he jars with Dastan being fairly serious most of the time.

Also, I don't think the chemistry between Dastan and Tamina worked too effectively. They lingered a little too long in the "sexually tense arguments" phase of an action movie romance, and when the elastic finally twanged, they zoomed past the "grudging respect and trust" phase to the "aw look they actually love each other" phase.

Spoilery bits
    And come on, a bald advisor, brother to the Persian king, and played by a classically trained British actor? Of course he was the bad guy. That was as shocking as it going dark every night. It would have been a nice change if Dastan's brother actually was in league with him, or even if [strike]Ghandi[/strike] [strike]The Hood[/strike] Nasam was actually a good guy.

And yeah, being able to use the Sands to travel back to an effective point despite the warnings we'd all be fucked when the Sands get back wasn't adequately explained.

On the whole, it was an okay movie, but the ingrediants for a great movie were there with a little work.

One good thing came out of it: I found a copy of Sands of Time cheap, so I'm going to play it once I clear my backlog.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I enjoyed it. I felt the ending, though a bit off, meshed with the game ending well enough. Jake did a much better job than I thought he would.

On the other side, it gave me great hope for a decent Assassin's Creed movie. In fact, there was one part that was an exact copy of a move in AC.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    So this is actually watchable then? Although the special effects looked good, the trailers really turned me away from this. I might check this out when it goes on DVD or something.

What? Those trailers looked fantastic man, and everyone else i've spoken to said the same thing.

People on PA sure complain about their video game properties a lot.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It was good. Well to be more exact, it was an entirely average action movie. Not something I feel bad for having paid to watch in a theatre.

I just didn't... really ever care about the characters? It's hard to describe what keeps a movie from being really good...

Also
    I thought it was kinda odd how many persians darstan killed. I mean, if there was a cop movie, where a cop was framed for murder and running away from his fellow police officers, they'd never have the hero straight up KILLING all these other cops. Darstan killed like... 12 of his comrades. Kind of a moral issue there

I thought the effects and locales and choreography of action scenes were all excellent.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm actually extremely surprised that nobody seems to care that this movie even exists here on PA.

This is the first honest-to-God solid adaptation of taking a video game property and making the jump into a serious blockbuster film we've seen, like, ever. Silent Hill doesn't really count.

And yet we haven't had a thread till now? What the goof?

Godfather on
  • Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It was a bit boring for me, even though it was a popcorn movie the action scenes seemed sparse for me. I think that was mainly because the Sand-Time-Dagger thing was underused, and it had a lot of potential.

For the first real game-to-blockbuster film, I guess it was good enough. It did had makings of Assassin's Creed in it,
    definitely with the parkour on rods and the viewpoint synchronize scene.

And also,
    what was with the hassassin waiting for Dustan at the room with the god's sandglass? Hero and Villain are racing to get to the sandglass first and he's just sitting there waiting for Dustan.

Lawful Evil on
    Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The missus and I enjoyed it.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    I'm actually extremely surprised that nobody seems to care that this movie even exists here on PA.

This is the first honest-to-God solid adaptation of taking a video game property and making the jump into a serious blockbuster film we've seen, like, ever. Silent Hill doesn't really count.

I never cared for the game series, platform puzzles not really my thing. Think I got to a point where birds kept killing me and stopped playing.

My main interest is that if this does well, it may improve the chances of the ME movie not sucking.

Also; Tomb Raider.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The difference between this and PotC is that Pirates had Johnny Depp, who is a brilliant character actor and can make just about every role awesome and memorable. This movie needed a Johnny Depp to Gyllenhaal's Orlando Bloom. (And yes, I'm aware that the IP really has no such character.) I really like Gyllenhaal, and he's good at drama, but there was nothing to do with him in this kind of flick.

The movie would've probably faired better if they scrapped the IP and just made up characters who were actually awesome and fun to watch even when they're not in action sequences.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Scooter wrote: »

I never cared for the game series, platform puzzles not really my thing. Think I got to a point where birds kept killing me and stopped playing.

My main interest is that if this does well, it may improve the chances of the ME movie not sucking.

Also; Tomb Raider.

I seemed to be one of the few people who actually bought the first game and thought it was okay; didn't play the rest. Didn't blow my mind honestly (too short) but it was decent.

I'm still aching to see this flick. I just find it ironic that the people who are most interested in catching this are the casual crowd, and the gamers seem to be snubbing this for some reason (?)

Completely bizarre.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wait, there are people who didn't like the Sands of Time game? That was pretty much the best game of the series. It was hugely successful both critically and commercially. Am I missing something?

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This wasn't a "good" movie.

I enjoyed it though. It was only a single moment in the middle of the film where I thought it was dragging and the stabbing came back pretty quick.

Though Jeebus, there are times where characters stare into the camera and give out exposition. They didn't even bother to dress it up any.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wait, there are people who didn't like the Sands of Time game? That was pretty much the best game of the series. It was hugely successful both critically and commercially. Am I missing something?

It wasn't bad or anything, just too short.

Also nobody bought that game. Like, nobody.

Godfather on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmmmm....
    I think the main issue this movie suffered from is the writing. I knew the plotline (duh) and moreover the various interweaving of the brothers subplot, the romantic subplot, the main plot and the like I thought had very good ideas in them. More crucially they were resolved really well (I actually liked how the addition of the "do-over" at the end tidied up loose ends in plot). The actors' portrayals were also quite good, though I couldn't stand the princess' entire personality.

The problem I found was that the writing seemed incredibly lacking and simplistic. We're treated with this nice plot but barely spend 5 seconds on any given individual element. And when we do get into the meat of things, it's treated very basically and typically resolves itself in the same five seconds (his capture the first time going into the lands and then getting out of it by giving over the girl and suddenly becoming best friends; the 5 second flight scene after that; the attack by the assassins which occupies all of a few scenes as opposed to a carefully laid plan by master guildsmen; the final battle by that black guy to get to the dagger). For instance, I liked the first sections of the movie for the very fact that it spends some time actually developing relationships: we see the prince's upbringing, and then his relationship with his brothers, the planning going into the siege, the nice work by the Prince to get into the city and its immediate aftermath, and the preparations for the celebration afterwards. This was all for the purpose of both introducing the dynamic of the brothers and advancing the plot point of the city all within a period of movie-time of perhaps a few days. I thought this setup well, and had enough meat on it to actually develop things for the viewers.

But then we have large chunks of the rest of the movie where, whenever an important event in the plot is coming up it is immediately jumped to and resolved within a span of minutes. I'm not sure if it's the writing just going to shit, or the result of the movie trying to cram too much in and not being able to treat it how it should have been.

I'm not sure, as a result, I can say I liked the movie as even a popcorn flick. There were some good parts, I liked the acting itself overall and the premise of the plot, but it just seemed hollower than I would have expected even of a popcorn flick.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I bought the game and the three sequels.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

do you have any backup for that

because it obviously sold well enough to warrant a terrible sequel, at least

Rust on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It was a bit boring for me, even though it was a popcorn movie the action scenes seemed sparse for me. I think that was mainly because the Sand-Time-Dagger thing was underused, and it had a lot of potential.

For the first real game-to-blockbuster film, I guess it was good enough. It did had makings of Assassin's Creed in it,
    definitely with the parkour on rods and the viewpoint synchronize scene.

And also,
    what was with the hassassin waiting for Dustan at the room with the god's sandglass? Hero and Villain are racing to get to the sandglass first and he's just sitting there waiting for Dustan.

Yeah, for like all but the last couple action sequences it seemed a lot more like an AC movie than a PoP one. Nice to finally see a good parkour sequence that doesn't have an obscene amount of shakeycam though.

As for the 2nd spoiler
    When they killed the other guy, the princess said something about how they had corrupted the guardians or something. It was probably also easier for him to get down there before everything started collapsing too

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

According to VGChartz, it sold 2.77 million copies, not counting sales of the Gamecube version. It was overshadowed in the gaming press by bigger-name releases when it first came out, but it did pretty damn well overall.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rust wrote: »

do you have any backup for that

because it obviously sold well enough to warrant a terrible sequel, at least

The sequels sold very well.

I remember reading quite a few articles about Sands of Time not performing up to expectations despite the glowing reviews and hype. Warrior Within sold double what SOT initially did.

Godfather on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The sequels sold very well.

I remember reading quite a few articles about Sands of Time not performing up to expectations despite the glowing reviews and hype. Warrior Within sold double what SOT initially did.

Again, going by the numbers that VGChartz has available, SOT sold 2.77 million copies and Warrior Within sold 2.19, and that trend matches up with older figures I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if WW initially sold better than SOT had in the same post-release time frame, but if it did, sales dropped off enough for SOT to outsell WW overall.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't quite put my finger on it but I just saw this movie today and it was horrible.

Too many forced "longing looks" between the Prince and Princess probably (when she wasn't trying to stab him....like on 7 different occasions). It was just way too Disney-ish. I enjoyed "Clash of the Titans" more if that says anything... (Plus the girl in this movie looked better in Clash as well)

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wow, Clash of the Titans? That's harsh, man.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, Clash of the Titans? That's harsh, man.

Yeah, I don't know.

Also, people need to realize there are fans of Silent Hill who have had their series ruined by a movie whereas this movie didn't. CHILL

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This movie was pretty bad.
    Random cutting of scenes was really confusing.
    Plot holes: very large.
    Why were Jake and that lady princess screaming at each other the entire time?
    Did the director tell them that British accent = SCREAMING
    the we hate each other but fall in love ploy was heavyhanded
    and JG was not shirtless as advertised

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Tea Partier bandit was pretty topical.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    my friend and I were the only ones laughing at the libertarian insert

• Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Haven't seen the movie, but everything about the trailer tells me not to. It just couldn't appear more generic. Am I wrong in thinking the plot is basically the same as Lord of the Rings, minus the armies? There's a super powerful item, a bad guy wants it, so the good guy has to take it to a special place to have it destroyed. Also, there's a romantic subplot... who could have seen that one coming?

Really, I try not to be a bummer when it comes to movies. I enjoyed Transformers even though there was pretty much no depth there. This movie just looks boring as hell.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Haven't seen the movie, but everything about the trailer tells me not to. It just couldn't appear more generic. Am I wrong in thinking the plot is basically the same as Lord of the Rings, minus the armies? There's a super powerful item, a bad guy wants it, so the good guy has to take it to a special place to have it destroyed. Also, there's a romantic subplot... who could have seen that one coming?

Really, I try not to be a bummer when it comes to movies. I enjoyed Transformers even though there was pretty much no depth there. This movie just looks boring as hell.

You are wrong.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

It is pretty bad.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm more surprised that both it and The Only Movie I Want to See Less Than Eclipse both bombed pretty hard last weekend. Not horrible numbers, I suppose, but coming in second and third to Shrek 2's gotta sting. At least Sex in the City was probably made for pretty cheap. Persia will have a much harder time making up for its expense.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This wasn't a bad movie, although I really, really REALLY think it could have had some more imaginative dialog. Hell, the way the game ended would have been pretty perfect for this, but anyway. Saying Clash of the Titans or Transformers was better? That's pretty ridiculous.

Nova_C on