As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sickly White, Need Some Color [tanning beds]

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
M'kay, so it's summer time, and it's time for me to come out of hibernation. In the last several months I've lost 40 pounds and I'm feeling pretty great about my self, but I have very very fair skin, and I look pretty sickly due to how white I am (I'm fucking PASTY). In addition to going outside, and hiking/biking/enjoying the sun, I'd like to possibly use a tanning bed. I have a membership at Planet Fitness which allows me to use their tanning beds for free. Now, I've heard their beds are pretty shitty, but I'm not looking to be a BRONZE GODDESS. I just want to tan my legs and stomach and other shit a bit.

Now, I've never used a tanning bed before. Hell, I've never even laid outside specifically to tan (burn) my self. How does someone go about doing this when they have fair skin? What should I bring to PF when I use their beds? I've heard that 15 minutes is the limit? Should I like...put on a specific cream or lotion so I don't fucking die in there?

Educate me in tanning cause I don't know what the fuck. Thanks!

AlyceInWonderland on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    M'kay, so it's summer time, and it's time for me to come out of hibernation. In the last several months I've lost 40 pounds and I'm feeling pretty great about my self, but I have very very fair skin, and I look pretty sickly due to how white I am (I'm fucking PASTY). In addition to going outside, and hiking/biking/enjoying the sun, I'd like to possibly use a tanning bed. I have a membership at Planet Fitness which allows me to use their tanning beds for free. Now, I've heard their beds are pretty shitty, but I'm not looking to be a BRONZE GODDESS. I just want to tan my legs and stomach and other shit a bit.

Now, I've never used a tanning bed before. Hell, I've never even laid outside specifically to tan (burn) my self. How does someone go about doing this when they have fair skin? What should I bring to PF when I use their beds? I've heard that 15 minutes is the limit? Should I like...put on a specific cream or lotion so I don't fucking die in there?

Educate me in tanning cause I don't know what the fuck. Thanks!

Doesn't the place have people who run the beds? Or are they just out there for you to hop into?

Esh on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd guess that they will have people to help you out. But I would start off with something short like 5 minutes at most probably if for some reason they're no help. Seems unlikely though, I don't think a place can just let people use them freely without any instruction on their use.

As for creams, I've never been one for the them so I can't help much there.

I'm also sickly pale, I'm hoping I can get by this year without a bed though, Central Park needs less trees so I can get some sun while running.

edit: ps, hi5 on losing weight

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Don't. Firstly, it causes your skin to age more rapidly and wrinkle faster. Secondly it increases the chance of skin cancer.

Embrace the pale!

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're just going to be in the sun anyway, I recommend just getting natural sun that way. I always find that I can tell when someone's used a tanning bed versus just...earning it anyway.

Not to mention how unsafe tanning beds are in their own right.

Where do you live? If you get a decent amount of sun I'd just stick with the hiking/biking/enjoying the sun idea.

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh yeah, there's definitely people who operate the beds, but I don't want to forget anything, or screw up and end up hurting my self, so I figured I'd ask around here just in case.

Edit: I live in upstate NY, and it's been really rainy, so I haven't had much luck with natural light. Plus, I'd really like to tan my stomach/chest/upper legs more and I don't feel comfortable doing that outside. Right now it's just my arms that have gotten some color over the course of a few days, and it looks silly incomparison to the rest of my awfully white body.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    or screw up and end up hurting my self

You can't use them effectively without hurting yourself. A tan is the skin's reaction to injury from the sun. To get a good deep tan from any source hurts the skin badly.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh, I know a tan is damaged skin (which is why I'm skeptical of the entire think in the first place). I'm not looking for a deep tan or anything (I doubt my skin is even capable of it :P ), I'm just looking to get a fairly light tan so you can't practically see through my skin anymore.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I tried tanning beds in college. The place i went to recommended starting with 3 minutes and working up to 15 so you don't get burnt.

After 2 months of going twice a week I gave up and went for the self-tanning lotion. I use Jergens twice a week for a basic not-sickly-pale look and I use neutrogena when I want to look like I actually have a tan. For me they give a natural looking color and don't streak. You might need to play around with different brands to find a color that really suits you.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be honest, if you live in a rainy part of the world, being a bit pale isn't going to hurt you.

I live in England, where it seems everyone wants to be tan despite being in overcast weather most of the time. I understand the embarrassment thing, but tan lines are just part of life. I personally live with a constant t-shirt tan since I'm not the type to walk around town shirtless :p

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tanning beds emit radiation that penetrates your skin far deeper than the sun, thus making your chances of skin cancer rise immensely.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, I know a tan is damaged skin (which is why I'm skeptical of the entire think in the first place). I'm not looking for a deep tan or anything (I doubt my skin is even capable of it :P ), I'm just looking to get a fairly light tan so you can't practically see through my skin anymore.

Then try some creams. I'm contemplating giving this a go. Some spas offer cream tans as well (in addition to spray) and it will also usually be part of a massage package. I call that a win.

But don't get in the tanning bed. Especially if you are as pale as you say. Cancer and wrinkles are not worth it. And I say this as an incredibly fair girl.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DoraBDoraB Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Being of fine, flammable Scottish descent, despite my Native American blood, I know all about being pasty, so I always try to put on some colour before summer really hits so I don't spend days in peeling agony. I've tried tanning, and the result was... eh. If you really want tanning, I recommend just getting a few shades darker and then letting the sun do the bulk of the work. I've never looked better than after a few days in the garden or going for long walks/jogs.

First off, look for a tanning place that really goes over everything with you. The woman who ran the place I went to spent a good long while going over all the potential health risks, protection, and so forth. Be really wary of a place that just tells you to go on in and doesn't go over proper procedure. (I was actually given some scary "This is gross stuff that can happen to your skin and eyes" pamphlets to read so I knew all about it.)

Second, I really recommend the stand up booths if you can. You're not laying in anybody's sweat (even if they wipe it down, I still think... ick), and it allows for a lot more coverage, IE, you can turn around and lift your arms so everything gets nice and even. It's also a lot more intense; they limit the time you spend in there a lot more than the beds. The beds can be super relaxing, but I did like the stand up more.

Third, you're going to need proper eye covering (most places sell them, and no, just covering them with cloth will not work) and proper tanning lotion. I can't really provide any recommendations, just go with what feels comfortable for you and isn't a bagillion dollars. The lady who ran the place I went to was very candid about the difference between the twenty dollar lotion and the sixty dollar stuff. I just went with something that wasn't greasy and smells nice.

Fourth, you probably aren't going to see much of a difference after even the first several visits, unless you go to one of those places that don't care how orange you get as long as they get their money. My tanning salon had a really strict schedule to avoid damaging the skin; you had to take a few days off in between each visit, you had to have proper lotion, etc. As I mentioned, I used the stand-up booth; I think my first visit was just under a minute. They gradually increased it over subsequent visits.

If you can, try to get a place that sells packages of minutes rather than visits. Some places will sell you as little as ten or fifteen minutes, and it can help you decide if you love it and want to continue, or if it just isn't for you.

Um... I think that's all I know. Sorry I couldn't be of much help!

DoraB on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ooooh, I love the store Lush. Great place, and I had no idea they made a tanning cream. I'm totally willing to try that out in place of a tanning bed.
    However, a friend of mine used a tanning cream that ended up sweating off and leaving hilarious sweat marks all over her body, thought it was probably just a super shitty product. Spray tans actually gross me out, so I won't be doing that.

Edit: DoraB-Not much help? PFFTT, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Be pasty and be proud. It beats having scars all over your body because they have to remove moles.

3drage on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tanning beds emit radiation that penetrates your skin far deeper than the sun, thus making your chances of skin cancer rise immensely.

This is mostly relevant if you use them a lot. It's not the most horrible idea in the world to use one if you're planning on having an especially active summer and are starting out as an inactive/indoors pale person. You don't want to burn horribly on summer beach vacation. My first time out in the sun every year as a redhead results in burning, no matter what I do. If I had a really big even planned I would make sure to get that out of the way before the big event. A tanning bed might be a decent way to do this? Just don't start doing this every summer.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I don't plan on using a tanning bed long term or anything at all. Just a couple of visits so I can get something even, and then the rest is all outside. I have a nasty habit of burning, being Scottish, Polish, Austrian and German (also Armenian, which you think would help with tanning, but nooooo)

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This is mostly relevant if you use them a lot. It's not the most horrible idea in the world to use one if you're planning on having an especially active summer and are starting out as an inactive/indoors pale person. You don't want to burn horribly on summer beach vacation. My first time out in the sun every year as a redhead results in burning, no matter what I do. If I had a really big even planned I would make sure to get that out of the way before the big event. A tanning bed might be a decent way to do this? Just don't start doing this every summer.
    exactly....people are really overreacting in here.....going a few times to get a base tan so you can enjoy your summer is NOT going to kill you

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Based on her genetic makeup, base tans don't exist for her, so you are just harming your skin.

• Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd recommend spending 15 to 20 minutes every couple of days out in the sun as opposed to a tanning bed. But given weather conditions that might not be possible. The logic is fairly sound, sun is less concentrated than tanning beds, why would you start out with direct UV blasts if you don't have some color built up already? It's kind of backwards.

3drage on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, yesterday it was beautiful out and I was required to stand outside and greet people at work (retail. uhg) and got a fairly nice and light tan on my arms, everywhere else though I'm just very white. I'm mostly just concerned about my legs and stomach, and would not like to expose them to the public just yet which is why I was considering a tanning bed. :P

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, yesterday it was beautiful out and I was required to stand outside and greet people at work (retail. uhg) and got a fairly nice and light tan on my arms, everywhere else though I'm just very white. I'm mostly just concerned about my legs and stomach, and would not like to expose them to the public just yet which is why I was considering a tanning bed. :P
    well clearly you're mistaken, it's not possible that you got tanned whatsoever according to dr scientist Fuzzy

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    all I'm saying is the following:
    if you do not tan easily
    do not nuke your body with large amounts of radiation from a tanning bed

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yikes, tanning beds are bad, period. There is no such thing as a safe amount of time or trips to a tanning salon. If you want color without the risk of skin cancer or worse, and trust me there is worse, I would go with a sunless method, either using bronzing lotion or airbrushing professionally from a salon.

Your skin will appreciate it. Just make sure to avoid going out in the sun for the first 24 hours for extended periods of time if the sunless tanner includes DHA (dihydroxyacetone) or erythulose (most do).

ransim on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, my advice would be just don't use one.

Now, that is for people that are tanning a fair amount, so I guess you can evaluate yourself how much you want to expose yourself to that.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    my mom's a dermatologist and I'm telling you that a tanning bed is bad news bears

I've worked in her clinic, and some of those poor people have the most hideous skin I've ever seen, you don't want that

If you don't have the chance to naturally tan in the sun, I would say spray tans or tanning creams are the way to go. A bronzer is going to be so much healthier for you
    If you don't tan easily it might take a long time or it might just never happen (and then you'll have to embrace your pastiness). Better than being a hilarious shade of orange or having someone reconstruct parts of your body from skin cancer though

I'm not saying one time is going to kill you, but there's better ways to get tans

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I went to a wedding the other day and the bride looked wonderfully tanned. I assumed she'd been on honeymoon early, but no, it was tanning lotion. I'd have never guessed. I imagine it takes a bit of practice, but it's got to be better than tanning beds.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Jergens stuff is great if you apply it properly. Make sure you prep by rubbing Vaseline or lotion into the palms of hands, elbows, knees, soles of feet, anywhere where there is drier skin (it will absorb too much) or where there shouldn't be a tan.

Another option instead of tanning, find a body lotion with some shimmer in it, and use it before you go out. The shimmer will pick up on the sunlight, and get rid of the "pasty" glare of pale skin. It also keeps the eye moving, which helps hide little blemishes and veins.

PS: I had skin cancer, and I wish I had some pics from before my scar removal treatment to show you. The scar is about 4cm along my jawline, and they did the stitches in two layers because of how deep they were going. For about a year, I looked like Rurouni Kenshin. :(

Pure Din on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're that desperate for a light-enduced tan, what's stopping you from just strapping on a bikini and lying in the sun when you have a spare hour or two? It's better for you than a tanning bed, though lotion would be better for you still.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah thanks for the replies, guys. I'm probably not going to go with the tanning beds now. I'm thinking about trying a bronzer or something to at least get a tiny bit of color.

The thing about strapping on a bikini is that...I don't have one, and there's nowhere for me to tan. I'm in a temp apartment right now that doesn't get much sun.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah thanks for the replies, guys. I'm probably not going to go with the tanning beds now. I'm thinking about trying a bronzer or something to at least get a tiny bit of color.

The thing about strapping on a bikini is that...I don't have one, and there's nowhere for me to tan. I'm in a temp apartment right now that doesn't get much sun.

Is there a beach or park nearby you could visit? A bikini won't be difficult to get your hands on, and you can always try the hotpants + skimpy top route.

Although I'm glad you're thinking about fake tan, and encourage you to just go with that. Try to get one of those sunscreen lotions with fake tan mixed in for added benefit; it'll help protect your pasty ass when it does spend time in the sun.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Haha, I don't own a bikini because I'm nooot quite at the weight yet to feel comfortable in one. Almost though!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alyce, LushUSA.com is out of their tanning cream but you can order from the UK (lush.co.uk) site. It will also be cheaper from there.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Based on her genetic makeup, base tans don't exist for her, so you are just harming your skin.

they exist for everybody, buddy.
    I am of fairly transparent lineage but by the end of the summer I will be looking positively ethnic thanks to being outside.

I'm thinking of picking up some fake n'bake as well, though, so my legs don't reflect all the light that hits them while I tan underneath.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Trillian wrote: »

I am of fairly transparent lineage but by the end of the summer I will be looking positively ethnic thanks to being outside.

I'm thinking of picking up some fake n'bake as well, though, so my legs don't reflect all the light that hits them while I tan underneath.
    I introduce case one, the ginger:

HelpTheseGingerKids-thumb.jpg

:P

Glad you aren't going to harm your skin with a tanning bed, Alyce.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Hahah, yeah, I thought about it some more, and while it would be nice to have that semi-instant tan you can get with a tanning bed, I'd rather not get cancer.

I'll just do my daily outdoors activities and hope for the best.....while also getting that bronzer. I love Lush products, and it seems pretty neat, so we'll see how that goes :)

Thanks guys for all your help!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Trillian wrote: »

I introduce case one, the ginger:

HelpTheseGingerKids-thumb.jpg

:P

Glad you aren't going to harm your skin with a tanning bed, Alyce.

Tanning once or twice in a tanning bed isn't going to cause cancer, much like smoking one or two cigarettes won't do any lasting damage.

As for gingerism, I'm lighter than that kid if I'm not exposed to the sun for more than 15 hours a week or so.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It amuses me how people are all "oh don't stand beside the microwave/use cellphones/whatever, think of the radiation" but often the very same people are fine with sunbeds/sitting in the sun for hours. Not that anyone here is that silly, of course, just an observation.

L|ama on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd say just go outside and enjoy the summer

picnics with friends and outdoor cafes

good times

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nude beach.

Just sayin'.

I went to one few times in summer during weekdays and there was barely anyone there.

Barely! Get it?
    :?
    8-)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only beach we have in the NY area is the fucking Jersey Shore...as far as I'm aware.

Anyone know of any good beaches around lower NY?

AlyceInWonderland on
This discussion has been closed.