As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So....maximum Sig file size?

YakuzaYakuza I used to post on the PA boards 9 years ago. Now they kind of suck, so I don't. Registered User regular
Cuz, like, I was wondering, you know.

So we have an established height and width (I believe 150 high by 400 wide), yet no established maximum filesize. So before someone else jumps up my butt for having a sig file thats around 300k, how about if we figure it out right here? And then an addendum could be made to the forum rules so nobody else fucks up as I did.

I used to have a series of animated gifs as my sig, depicting various bouncing breasts of both real and anime manufacture. That was in 2003/04 though. Ah, well.
Yakuza on

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2003
    Hey, sorry I didn't get back to your PM, yakuza.

Yeah, I see that the rule is not in writing, but I've been enforcing it loosely ever since we opened these boards. I always just remove the image and PM the person with something to the effect of:

"(xxx,xxx) bytes is too big of an image for a (sig/avatar). So I deleted it. Feel free to upload a more appropriately sized (sig/avatar) in its place. I'd like for most images to be under 30k, but I'm happy to make exceptions up to 50-60k if it is a really good image. If I think it is exceptionally good I will allow up to 80-100k. But 100k is really the limit and I'd like for the majority of images to be far less than that."

Ramius on
  • Options
    YakuzaYakuza I used to post on the PA boards 9 years ago. Now they kind of suck, so I don't. Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    Hey thats no prob I didn't hold it against you or anything, no worries.

But now I know! So I'll stick with a max of 30k and ask you if I can go higher for good images. Fair enough.

thanks

Yakuza on
    I used to have a series of animated gifs as my sig, depicting various bouncing breasts of both real and anime manufacture. That was in 2003/04 though. Ah, well.
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    Te he he he

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2003
    orthsize.gif

Te he he he. ;)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    orthsize.gif

Te he he he. ;)

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I was actually refering to my 150K animated gif I kept for quite some time

Edit: Jpeg now instead of PNG so it's under 30K

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    y'know...more and more lately I've been running into images that do not show their file size when I view their properties. yakuza's alien sig there won't report its size, and orthanc's sig image won't either.

I'm rather shocked to see that it is 110k. How come it's so big?

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    orthanc wrote:
    orthsize.gif

Te he he he. ;)

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I was actually refering to my 150K animated gif I kept for quite some time

:P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    orthanc wrote:
    orthsize.gif

Te he he he. ;)

Yeah, well, when I checked it the first time, that one was about 50k, and it had a fair amount of animation in it for that size. So I didn't mind allowing it. Then it kept growing and growing...

But even at 120k adn 150k I was impressed by how many seconds of animation you were able to compress in there.

EDIT: dammit. that was only 2 posts! how could my pop-tart burn in the time it takes to make 2 posts!?

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Ramius wrote:
    y'know...more and more lately I've been running into images that do not show their file size when I view their properties. yakuza's alien sig there won't report its size, and orthanc's sig image won't either.

I'm rather shocked to see that it is 110k. How come it's so big?

I was using PNG. I never quite got round to changing it to JPEG. It's on JPEG now and back below 30K

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Ramius wrote:

Ditto, except orthanc's did show (obviously). If you think about it, you'd expect orthanc's not to cache as it's dynamically created each time the php script is called. Why it's caching it (and knowing the size) and not Yakuza's, I'll never know.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Ramius wrote:

Ditto, except orthanc's did show (obviously). If you think about it, you'd expect orthanc's not to cache as it's dynamically created each time the php script is called. Why it's caching it (and knowing the size) and not Yakuza's, I'll never know.

It has to download it and store it briefly so as to show it. The only difference with no-cache files is they aren't kept. So you would still expect it to show the size.
    I normally check the size of them to avod bandwidth worries, The only time I've ever seen an image show up with the size missing is when there are still loading.

My bad, I can't see the size of Yakuza's either.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2003
    Pop tarts are not good eatin'.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2003

I havn't seen poptarts for years. I wonder if they still sell them here

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    If you check my avatar size, that number is actually an illusion. Its really only 2k. My normal avatar fits under the max, but the holiday edit got huge somehow.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    Wow I never knew there was a file size limit on an avatar until I posted my Final Fantasy X-2 one and people in G&T said something about it
    I will not post it because of it's size (139K) but here is a link in case you missed it

http://members.aol.com/dragonsama/avatars/ffx2a.gif

Yes I know AOL I don't even use it I use Road Runner now it is just I had the E-mail when I used to live at home and my parents use that account and still send me Mail at that Screen name. So I use it as Storage for Avatars and such.

Artoria on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2003
    I can't see the file size either. Tricky man. Tricky.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    Grayman222Grayman222 Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    Starfuck wrote:
    I can't see the file size either. Tricky man. Tricky.

and they save as bitmap!

Grayman222 on
    "A TRUE POSTHUNK" -150cc
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    You need to eat a perfectly cooked pop tart.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.