As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Liberal Agenda: ITT We Pat Backs

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm afraid I can no longer burden myself with the secret. It's true, Conservatives: the Liberal walks among you, scheming the unthinkable. Gay marriage? Science in science class? History in history class? Advanced medical treatment for those who aren't among the super rich? Moving people from their luxury gutters in the big city into housing without even one tug at their bootstraps?

Surely the madness can't go so deep? Oh, comrade, it goes so much deeper.

I ALWAYS KNEW ANNE COULTER WAS ON TO SOMETHING! AND YOU HAVE THE PRESIDENT ON YOUR PAYROLL TOO, RIGHT?

Oh, it's far worse than that. The Liberal Agenda has been at work since the inception of western democratic principles, it's terrible mechanisms installed into the core infrastructure that western democracies work through. You see, you don't need this guy:
obama.jpg
Not a liberal

When you've already got this guy:
thomas_paine1.jpg
TEH LIBREL! TEH SHOCK! TEH HORRORS!

GASP! D:

And Paine is just the tip of the iceberg. Franklin? Jefferson? Madison? Our agents are to be found everywhere.

MONSTER! I WANT MY AMERICA BACK!

Oh dear. I'm not sure how to tell you this. Here, just take a look at this:
world-map.gif
Planet Earth. America shown in green. It's on the left side. Look for the medium-ish sized country underneath Canada.

OH MY DEAR SWEET CHRIST WHAT IS THAT!?

That's a picture of something called 'the world'. This is going to be a lot to take in at once.

BUT THAT PICTURE SAYS AMERICA ISNT EVEN THE BIGGEST COUNTRY! THIS MUST BE MORE LIBERAL PROPAGANDA!

Well, I guess you could call it that. I mean, it is only factually accurate.

I KNEW IT!

See, the problem with wanting 'Your America' back is that you're actually talking about the world circa 1980. And that was kind of, well, 30 years ago, with an American President who had Alzheimer's Disease and consulted a psychic counselor for advice--

IT WORKED FOR PICARD!

Well...
tngtroi03.jpg
Counsellor Troi
50461133.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A146A7C10D32B658512922D729BC9CA072499CA78ECB165CB19B01E70F2B3269972
Joan Quigley

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Well, anyway, the Soviet Empire was crumbling around the feet of Gobachev... err, that's, like, who the 'American President' of Russia was at the time--

GORBACHEV? HE WAS ONE OF THE EVILDOERS OF COMMUNISM, RIGHT?

Right. Sure.

So, like, the evil communist empire was disintegrating, and it felt pretty good to be a wealthy or even middle class white American citizen because everything seemed to be going right. The 'bad guys' were losing the big awesome fight, people were offloading the cost of their decadent living onto poor folks & later generations, walkmen & video games were coming into the mainstream, girls were wearing leg warmers...
lg-930.jpg
nomnomnom

...and a short-sighted leader who was losing his grip on reality was telling all of the well off white folks that things could always stay this awesome forever!

HELL YEAH! THAT'S MY AMERICA!

Well, unfortunately, there aren't any more Stalinist empires to bait into Afghanistan and, while you came pretty close to landing a senile president with dementia, you didn't quite get there. And yes, I'm sorry to say that The Liberal Agenda had something to do with the latter.

See, The Liberal doesn't want to go back to the 1980s. The Liberal wants to move ahead.

YOU'RE ALL CRAZY! IF WE DON'T GET BACK TO OUR ROOTS AND LET TRADITIONAL AMERICAN VALUES TAKE CHARGE, HOW ARE WE GONNA STOP THE TERRORISTS!?

Ah, yes. The terrorists. The Liberal Agenda has plans for them. Stage one of our operation involves encouraging all Americans to get in possession of one of these:
chill-pill-demotivational-poster-1221956724.jpg

THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A GUN TO ME!

Well, here's the thing about firearms: they don't work well against figments of your imagination. If everyone chills out about the freak tragedy that happened on 9/11, though, you could maybe take some of the money you're wasting on expensive military toys and put it into, say, treating heart disease:
figure_06_01_139.gif
Note the lack of 'DEM GANNISTANIANS!' as a leading factor of death within the United States. Yes, this chart includes 9/11

DAMN YOUR LIBERAL FACT PROPAGANDA! YOU'RE SO WELL READ AND WORLDLY, WILL WE NEVER DEFEAT YOU!?

It's not terribly likely. I highly recommend seeking out this man for assistance in your struggle:

If anyone will bring Your America back, it's Alex Jones and the Infowars guys.

TL;DR: I make fun of Rethuglicans. and call Reagan a lunatic.

So, who wants to tell me how right I am? :P

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Rethuglican is not a word, but legwarmers are cute.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    what the hell is this

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    OH MY DEAR SWEET CHRIST WHAT IS THAT!?

That's a picture of something called 'the world'. This is going to be a lot to take in at once.

This made me lol.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    what the hell is this

It's gonna be okay. Shhh.

You hear that rustling noise? That's the sound of the Bourgeoisie's wealth being redistributed. We allow that sort of thing in here.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So would we be better off brainwashing conservatives in reeducation camps, or just using those camps to kill them? I can see benefits to both approaches.

jothki on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Is this supposed to be the opposite of that Tea Party thread from last night?

_J_ on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Basically:
    chill-pill-demotivational-poster-1221956724.jpg

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    what the hell is this

It's gonna be okay. Shhh.

You hear that rustling noise? That's the sound of the Bourgeoisie's wealth being redistributed. We allow that sort of thing in here.

you're not very bright, are you

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    _J_ wrote: »

If it is, it's not nearly crazy enough to hold a candle to that thread.

I dunno, since I'm liberal I'm not really offended by this thread, but maybe ModernMan or dragonsama will want to chime in and make this thread fun. Otherwise, we sorta already have threads that function as liberal sounding boards.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, we have a lot of threads that promote the sane side of the political spectrum.

Sanity is not necessarily a virtue the liberals have a monopoly on.

It's just that our modern discourse has basically become Conservatives vs Functioning Humans, so it looks kind of lopsided.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I only finished the OP cause maybe there were more pictures of the legwarmers.

Darn.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Could've used more "Russia is bigger than the United States."
    "NO IT ISN'T!"

Henroid on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    _J_ wrote: »

he must be trying to maintain the balance or something

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Could've used more "Russia is bigger than the United States."
    "NO IT ISN'T!"

Well, let's be honest: most conservatives really aren't sure there is a Russia. 'Russia' and 'Soviet Union' are sort of like metaphysical terms to a Reagan era conservative; they know that the words mean bad things like COMMUNISM, but the world drops off into NOTMERRKALAND at the edge of either seaboard, so notions of size will just hang there incoherently.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's funny, the liberal agenda means a lot of different things even among liberals so this could be a really interesting thread topic.

This is... not that thread.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The greatest thing Ronald Reagan has ever given us:

tripperDVD.jpg

I only finished the OP cause maybe there were more pictures of the legwarmers.

Darn.

They look like liberal legwarmers, too.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's funny, the liberal agenda means a lot of different things even among liberals so this could be a really interesting thread topic.

Well, there's really only one Liberal Agenda.

It's just composed of the Gay Agenda and the Women's Agenda and the Black/Brown Agenda and the....

Well, you get the point.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

No; this is the thread for posting embarrassing Fox News clips, and/or embarrassing stories involving its hard right wing evangelical base.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So this is the thread for political zealotry with no substance?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    So would we be better off brainwashing conservatives in reeducation camps, or just using those camps to kill them? I can see benefits to both approaches.

Yes people with different political ideologies should totally be either killed or indoctrinated rather than convinced

You dumb fucker, this kind of shit is why you hate them

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

Hahah. Please.

See all these fancy computers that every single one of us here uses? That means we're Bourgeoisie out of the mother fucking ass, and since we might pretty much be the Lumpenproletariat, and a few of us are independent intellectuals, we're definitely gonna be the first against the wall.

Sheep on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So this is the thread for political zealotry with no substance?

ITT We Pat Backs

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yes people with different political ideologies should totally be either killed or indoctrinated rather than convinced

Is this the part where we're assuming that all statements made in the silly partisanship thread are made in 100% seriousness?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Hahah. Please.

See all these fancy computers that every single one of us here uses? That means we're Bourgeoisie out of the mother fucking ass, and since we might pretty much be the Lumpenproletariat, and a few of us are independent intellectuals, we're definitely gonna be the first against the wall.
    If we're talking worldwide, sure. But if we're talking the United States or most of the West, the ownership of a personal computer is quickly becoming an assumption rather than a luxury.

Honestly, our economy does so much to reorganize the strata of proletariat vs bourgeoisie that it's hard to see a bunch of twenty somethings getting the axe during a workers revolution when we're by and large squarely in the lower to mid income brackets.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2010

he was being sarcastic Sal

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hahah. Please.

You show your hand too quickly, sir.

Did you know that American median income per capita is second highest in the world, but only if you include the top 1% of income earners? And that if you take away that top 1%, you plummet to the among the lowest?

You think you're within that top 1%, sparky?
    the-last-two-decades-were-great-except-for-american-workers.jpg_thumb%5B3%5D.gif?imgmax=800
    Oh, the woe of the American CEO

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OP made me lawl.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Posting in silly thread. Found the OP funny.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hahah. Please.

Did you know that American median income per capita is second highest in the world, but only if you include the top 1% of income earners? And that if you take away that top 1%, you plummet to the among the lowest?

...That's not how medians work. Do you mean mean?

Though you're still wrong.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

This being the internet, it is occasionally difficult to tell.

I'm still not, you know, convinced, and I think having a "hurr Republicans are so fucking dumb guys" thread is ill-advised, but whatever.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

This being the internet, it is occasionally difficult to tell.

I'm still not, you know, convinced, and I think having a "hurr Republicans are so fucking dumb guys" thread is ill-advised, but whatever.
    I'm pretty sure this just is a 'mock the OP's ridiculousness' thread, or I wouldn't be posting in it

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hahah. Please.

Well, this is my source for that piece of facty propaganda. By all means, squash it with the might of your truthiness!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And a billion and a half people on this planet live on around $1.25 a day. What's your point.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And a billion and a half people on this planet live on around $1.25 a day. What's your point.
    That a worldwide workers uprising is even more unlikely than a more localized one in the developed west.

So when we're looking at who is or isn't affluent enough to warrant lead poisoning we should probably be taking that into account.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    That labeling oneself a conservative is the equivalent of saying you have dementia.

More propaganda, from the elitist COMMUNIST liberal branch of Berkley.

Also: more legwarmers, by request:
    jeans_legwarmers.jpg
    Not all of the 80s was so bad.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hahah. Please.

Well, this is my source for that piece of facty propaganda. By all means, squash it with the might of your truthiness!

OK, so, because you may well be a silly, silly goose:

The median is the midway data point. So if you chop off the top 1%, you hit the 49.5% data point as your new median. Thus it's not going to change very much. In 2007 that number was about 50k. The mean income was 60k in 2004. It was 40k for blacks, who don't have a whole lot of billionaires. To hit halfway on the planet, you need $2161.

I'm offended by your crappy grasp of mathematics.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hahah. Please.

I don't see that factoid on the linked site.

Income inequality is a huge problem in the US but statistics don't really work the way that factoid says they do.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    OK, so, because you may well be a silly, silly goose

Oh, for this thread? You can expect nothing but the goosiest of goosiness from me. :^:

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's possible that eliminating the top 1% of a sample would shift the value (not the position) of the median remarkably, but that would say more about a weird distribution in the middle than it would about major inequality at the top.

Anyway, it's a stupid way of describing a real problem.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    It's possible that eliminating the top 1% of a sample would shift the value (not the position) of the median remarkably, but that would say more about a weird distribution in the middle than it would about major inequality at the top.

Anyway, it's a stupid way of describing a real problem.

Yeah, income inequality is a big deal. As I said, the math offended me.

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.