As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Statfight!

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
And you thought statistics were boring. Well, to be fair, they usually are. Just...not today.

For those who can remember the distant past of 2008, you may remember that major liberal website Daily Kos hired the polling firm Research 2000 to conduct polling on the Presidential race. Afterwards, Kos kept R2K on to conduct a regular polling on the nation, releasing all the information to the public. Everything sounds great, right?

Well, it was, up till earlier this month. The first kicker was when statistics god Nate Silver releases a survey of pollsters that puts R2K at the bottom of the heap:
pshort.png

Needless to say, this doesn't look good for either R2K or Kos, and the latter decides to fire the former. But, it gets better, as Kos himself has now alleged that the R2K polls conducted for the past year and a half were complete and utter bunk. And needless to say, Markos is rather...perturbed at the situation, and has promised that the next people that R2K hears from will be the DKos legal team.

This one comes out of left field, pardon the bad pun. I don't think anyone expected that R2K was that scummy.

Edit: DKos lawyer details the legal case to the WaPo.

Edit 2: R2K launches the C&D brigade.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i do not understand 80 percent of this OP.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TL;DR: Dkos was running a poll and hired a company called Research 2000 to do it for them. Their polls performed badly in the last election cycle so Dkos stopped using them. Further examination of the results given to Dkos indicate a (very, VERY) strong probability R2K was fudging the numbers, thus legal action has been taken.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, just heard about this. Kinda fucked up.

Although some of their more famous ones (like the old "28% of Republicans think Obama wasn't born in the US") are apparently roughly backed up by other, more reputable agencies.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/06/daily-kos-renounces-pollster-t-1.html?hpid=news-col-blog

shryke on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TL;DR: Dkos was running a poll and hired a company called Research 2000 to do it for them. Their polls performed badly in the last election cycle so Dkos stopped using them. Further examination of the results given to Dkos indicate a (very, VERY) strong probability R2K was fudging the numbers, thus legal action has been taken.

It will be interesting to see the Zogby poll that Fox News presents when discussing this.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I loved that C&D order. It was so obviously fucking inappropriate boilerplate.

"Baseless" claims and their pages of explanation and reams of data they were drawn from, "BASELESS!"

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll be curious to see how the Free Market Conservatives respond to this kind of thing. Since this is essentially an unregulated market coming to grips with the deficiencies created by that approach and moving towards self-regulation.

I bet they're still pissed.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll be curious to see how the Free Market Conservatives respond to this kind of thing. Since this is essentially an unregulated market coming to grips with the deficiencies created by that approach and moving towards self-regulation.

lol

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm curious to see how this whole thing shakes down. It could either sweep away the chaff in the industry as it becomes too financially risky to do for all but the better pollsters, or it could clamp down on any sort of innovation when it comes to pushing back against standard samplings and such.

Of course, it could do both.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, this is a shocker. It never occurred to me that a pollster might be so brazen as to make up results, and then release "crosstabs" to give themselves more credibility.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What? How is this in any way an indictment of markets? Kos picked poorly from amongst the available options and apparently there wasn't a huge information problem since Nate Silver has been able to assign them rankings. That isn't a failure of the market, it is a failure of the Daily Kos to choose the best firm from amongst the available options.

I mean, I know conservatives serve as some sort of bogeyman, but this is an odd place to point and say 'lol free market'.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, this is pretty much the libertarian ideal happening right here. Not sure how conservatives will be upset at all.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, I remember back in the day when DKos defended using R2K as accurate, saying it was in an advocacy group's interest to have accurate polling.

I really can't stand that website and I feel guilty reading it during the election. I knowingly read it to cultivate enthusiasm and outrage.

Qingu on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Saammiel wrote: »

What? How is this in any way an indictment of markets? Kos picked poorly from amongst the available options and apparently there wasn't a huge information problem since Nate Silver has been able to assign them rankings. That isn't a failure of the market, it is a failure of the Daily Kos to choose the best firm from amongst the available options.

I mean, I know conservatives serve as some sort of bogeyman, but this is an odd place to point and say 'lol free market'.

They had previously been regarded as fairly reputable. Nate just recently updated the rankings and it sent them way, way down.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, this is pretty much the libertarian ideal happening right here. Not sure how conservatives will be upset at all.

Every upset conservative I've seen over this has simply seen the name DKOS involved, and proceeded to rant about how DKOS hired a company to fudge polls for them. You know, completely ignoring the actual events. The rest of the conservatives have been pretty happy with the idea that DKOS is admitting the results were bullshit, and taking legal action over it.

kildy on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

They had previously been regarded as fairly reputable. Nate just recently updated the rankings and it sent them way, way down.

...and now the market is going to fuck them, hard. The courts may very well do so as well. This is pretty much how libertarians hope for this sort of thing to go down.

This isn't an indictment of libertarian principles.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow. This is the R2K's defense
    Yes we weight heavily and I will, using the margin of error adjust the top line and when adjusted under my discretion as both a pollster and social scientist, therefore all sub groups must be adjusted as well.
    That seems like a confession to me.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

...and now the market is going to fuck them, hard. The courts may very well do so as well. This is pretty much how libertarians hope for this sort of thing to go down.

Well, one could easily consider it an indictment of Libertarians love of reactive rather then proactive "solutions".

shryke on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Well, one could easily consider it an indictment of Libertarians love of reactive rather then proactive "solutions".

Yes, one could do that if one were looking to attack Libertarians over basically nothing for some reason. I mean, I know they are some sort of nefarious boogeyman on these boards, but that is really really reaching.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yes, one could do that if one were looking to attack Libertarians over basically nothing for some reason. I mean, I know they are some sort of nefarious boogeyman on these boards, but that is really really reaching.

I don't think that's an indictment of Libertarians in specific, but regulation does have its place and there seem to be a large group of people who think that unleashing the free market on everything is THE solution and it will keep it self in check because of the free market.

In this case, it wasn't that big of a deal, but bad regulation is and was disastrous in many instances.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My favorite part of the C&D business is when Nate Silver pretty much tells them to fuck off (but with math).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

In this case, the punishment from the market and the legal system would be both reactive (they get fucked for cheating) and proactive (people have fear of getting fucked by the market and legal system, and so avoid cheating).

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As much as I think Free Market Libertarianism is a load of bunk, this situation is playing out pretty much exactly as they would expect it to. I don't think that's an indictment of anything so much as an "actions have consequences" thing.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Except of course for the three statisticians who found the error had absolutely no market reason to point out he was lying through his teeth.

Really, market-wise they should have contacted him, pointed out his results indicated he wasn't actually doing polling then offer to consult about proper statistical distributions in an unrelated manner.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Except of course for the three statisticians who found the error had absolutely no market reason to point out he was lying through his teeth.

Really, market-wise they should have contacted him, pointed out his results indicated he wasn't actually doing polling then offer to consult about proper statistical distributions in an unrelated manner.

And in a completely free market system there's no means to get compensation for fraud. The government needs to intervene for that.

And in a completely free market system, there's no way to enforce "brands" so R2K could call themselves Gallup next week and reputation becomes impossible to track. Best case scenario it erects additional entry barriers into most markets and the invisible hand becomes intangible as well.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    And in a completely free market system there's no means to get compensation for fraud. The government needs to intervene for that.

And in a completely free market system, there's no way to enforce "brands" so R2K could call themselves Gallup next week and reputation becomes impossible to track. Best case scenario it erects additional entry barriers into most markets and the invisible hand becomes intangible as well.

And all but the most extreme forms of libertarianism allow for an extremely small government that enforces contracts and property rights (under which intellectual property rights is a subset), so I'm not sure who you are even raging against. I mean, there are plenty of valid critiques of libertarian stances on various policy issues and such, but trying to tie this to them is just silly.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

And all but the most extreme forms of libertarianism allow for an extremely small government that enforces contracts and property rights (under which intellectual property rights is a subset), so I'm not sure who you are even raging against. I mean, there are plenty of valid critiques of libertarian stances on various policy issues and such, but trying to tie this to them is just silly.

Right its just that calling that a "small" government is silly. In order to enforce contracts you need to regulate the market to define what constitutes a contract violation, fraud, etc. You need a court system. You need a means to enforce those rulings financially. You need a police force to enforce those rulings physically. You need a system for intellectual property rights and their enforcement.

This isn't a free market fixes thing example because the only thing that is holding R2K responsible is the government. I said R2k could rebrand as Gallup but they could also rebrand as PolitickPolling.org. It isn't a particularly good refutation of free marketeers because life handles that just fine.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png