As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Entering a Dead release zone, Duration ~3 months.

13»

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I'm not saying that blizzard isnt working to make it less painful. I just know from past experiences (C&C, Warcraft, Starcraft, Red Alert, lots of other RTS) that while yes you get that one neat new unit every level, thats not to say every one of them will fit your playstyle or be enjoyable to you. A break from one area to the next is all im saying that would be nice. Not to mention, youve said it yourself. There will be units available only in single player? why?

From your description you seem to think it's going to be along the lines of C&C where it's standard base building most levels and a drip feed of units, and that's it. You seem to be largely ignoring what everyone else is posting here.

In any case, there's a lot going on with it.

- The between mission story sections aren't just for show, they're also where you select your missions, as well as upgrading your units and purchasing new unit types. Basically you're going to be doing management on the side in-between missions

- The following campaigns for the other two races are actually going to be working by different mechanics to this one. There haven't been too many details on this yet, but say for example, the Protoss addon pack is going to have a large focus on politics between the factions, presumably with the player making alliances and enemies over the course of the campaign.

- The missions themselves are being designed around the idea of being unique vignettes, not so much about build base, destroy other base each time. Heck, one of the missions I saw showcased featured a map based in a lava channel that would flood every few minutes, forcing units to high ground or be destroyed, except resources and objectives were on the lower planes.

- There are still going to be a small number of zerg or protoss based missions in this campaign, to help break things up even further

- There are different units available in singleplayer (firebats for example, aren't in the multiplayer) because the singleplayer is being treated as a fundamentally different entity to the multiplayer, as it should be. Singleplayer doesn't prepare you for online in RTS's, in any way, shape or form. So instead of being limited by those tropes, focus on making a good singleplayer campaign. This is the path that Dow2 took as well, opting to focus on RPG mechanics and levelling for the SP campaign, with only 4 squads per mission. And incidentally, DoW and DoW2 also only focussed on 1 race for the SP campaign.

- At the same time, this isn't to say that you have to hurl yourself into the multiplayer blind, because Blizzard are also crafting challenge missions and modes to train you up in how multiplayer works and the techniques that will be useful to you during it.

- And all that's leaving aside the thoroughly ridiculous stuff that people are already pumping out with the editor.

The thing is, Blizzard aren't making singleplayer some distant second here, they're putting a tonne of work into making something awesome because they want people to play it. Pre-emptively crying about how they're "abusing" you just sounds silly. This isn't even a question of length, it's a question of quality of the campaign. And if they can maintain that diversity over the course of a full campaign, I've got no issues with it.

Although to be honest, the thing that interests me most about the game is just the between mission segments. I've missed those since Wing Commander. But I wanted to talk about the multiplayer for a second because you don't seem to understand how that's working.

The basics is that multiplayer's working off of an impressively intuitive matchmaking system now. Players are divided into leagues and ranks depending on how skilled they are, and if you're using the matchmaking, you'll be playing with people around your level.

subedii on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for that post subedii, you're just so coherent :)

From my experience with the beta, at least the multiplayer will be absolutely great. But it must be said that the new Battle.net 2 is a bit worrying right now, which is a shame. No chat channels, no LAN and no crossregion play is a big deal, but this stuff can be patched in later. I just hope they do patch them in.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    alset85 wrote: »

From my experience with the beta, at least the multiplayer will be absolutely great. But it must be said that the new Battle.net 2 is a bit worrying right now, which is a shame. No chat channels, no LAN and no crossregion play is a big deal, but this stuff can be patched in later. I just hope they do patch them in.

Yeah it's definitely not all sunshine. The cross-region play thing is a biggie, and I can only hope they patch that in soon. They've stated that's a big priority, but I'm just wondering how long it'll take.

Aren't chat channels also going to be patched in?

subedii on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I don't see a lull either.

Although do they seriously not want Front Mission to sell? Jesus christ, don't release a game on the same day as Reach. Put it out a week before or a week after.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah it's definitely not all sunshine. The cross-region play thing is a biggie, and I can only hope they patch that in soon. They've stated that's a big priority, but I'm just wondering how long it'll take.

Aren't chat channels also going to be patched in?

Well I'm sure they said that but it wouldn't be the first time they went back on their word.

Edit: Don't mind my negativism, I'm just bitter my PSU died on me and I won't get a new one before the Phase 2 beta opening.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

I don't get this. When has Blizzard ever shipped a game/expansion that was incomplete or not worth the money? And when have they stopped making excelent games?
    Well, obviously personal preferences come into this but my answer is "about six years ago." Blizzard, and the industry as a whole, has changed a lot since SC1. Maybe it'll be a good deal, I'm just suspicious of it, that's all.

What, you're saying WC3 wasn't an excellent game? o_O

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DQ IX and EQ III. Ya, no lull here.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is funny. Every other year June/July/August and Spetember I usually buy maybe 2 games. At a stretch. This year, I finally decide I want some PC gaming going on and I buy 27. Thanks Steam.Sure they're not new releases but it doesn't really matter though. They're completely new to me.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    This is funny. Every other year June/July/August and Spetember I usually buy maybe 2 games. At a stretch. This year, I finally decide I want some PC gaming going on and I buy 27. Thanks Steam.Sure they're not new releases but it doesn't really matter though. They're completely new to me.

To be fair, that's also partly because of the completely nutty Steam summer sale going on right now. I mean you bought all those for the price of like, two new releases or something didn't you?

I'm guessing we can expect Summer sales from now on as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's another Layton game coming out soon? Fuck yeah, I love those games.

After Crackdown the next 360 game I'm interested in is Halo:Reach, which doesn't come out until September.

But then you have Dead Rising 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Force Unleashed 2 and Fable 3 all in the month or so following that!

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

To be fair, that's also partly because of the completely nutty Steam summer sale going on right now. I mean you bought all those for the price of like, two new releases or something didn't you?

I'm guessing we can expect Summer sales from now on as well.

Oh definitely. I'm not saying I bought all those full price, god I'd have to be mad! I was just saying that it's weird buying games at this time of the year. For so cheap a price too. I mean 27 games for the price of two new ones....... yikes.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, but I'm a cheapass gamer anyway, so I always wait until I can find them for less than $30.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz