As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So. Mel Gibson didn't have a thread yet. Fixed.

• Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Judging by the way he said it, he seems like the kind of person who would use "n******" casually in everyday conversation when referring to an undesirable group of people doing something undesirable.

S'pretty racist.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Judging by the way he said it, he seems like the kind of person who would use "n******" casually in everyday conversation when referring to an undesirable group of people doing something undesirable.

S'pretty racist.

I haven't listened to the tapes, mostly because the only link I've found says "temporarily unavailable but partly because I'm not sure I could handle cringing that much :P

I kind of want to say that I'm not too sure it's possible to determine if he uses it in casual conversation but I'll hold off on that until I get a chance to actually listen to the tapes I guess.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's times like this where I think I have a really weird sense of what I find offensive.

Like, if Mel Gibson made an awesome movie, I'd probably go pay money to see it.

On the other hand, I avoid paying anything for Tom Cruise movies because of all the shady Scientology derp duh derp.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

S'pretty racist.

I haven't listened to the tapes, mostly because the only link I've found says "temporarily unavailable but partly because I'm not sure I could handle cringing that much :P

I kind of want to say that I'm not too sure it's possible to determine if he uses it in casual conversation but I'll hold off on that until I get a chance to actually listen to the tapes I guess.

Granted I am only judging by the way he said it in that tape.

But the way he said it ... He didnt have to think of that insult. It rolled off his tongue like referring to ni***** is something he does. Y'know?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

S'pretty racist.

I think he uses many terms in casual conversation because in another tape he refers to a mexican person as a (You figure it out) in a relatively calm manner.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone with more time and video-editing skill than I possess should loop Mel's rants over famous scenes from his movies. Have him shout all this horrible stuff in the middle of Braveheart or the Patriot.

Until then, the kitten thing is pretty awesome.

And to be more mildly on topic, anyone who says those things, regardless of context, is a silly goose and should be ashamed of themselves enough to get help. That includes those who are defending Gibson because they themselves have said angry things to exes.

takyris on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    takyris wrote: »
    Someone with more time and video-editing skill than I possess should loop Mel's rants over famous scenes from his movies. Have him shout all this horrible stuff in the middle of Braveheart or the Patriot.

Until then, the kitten thing is pretty awesome.

And to be more mildly on topic, anyone who says those things, regardless of context, is a silly goose and should be ashamed of themselves enough to get help. That includes those who are defending Gibson because they themselves have said angry things to exes.

There's probably enough material to create a very surreal edition to the Lethal Weapon franchise.

"Of course I’m black. That’s why I wanna go to South Africa. To join up with my oppressed brothers. To take up the struggle against the tyranny of the racist, fascist, white, minority regime!"

We could create a real Odd-Couple theme.

or maybe,

"Who you think you is? You can curse nobody. Look at you. Your black, you're poor, you're ugly, you're a woman, you're nothing at all!"

Kind of an Uncle Ruckus that follows around Mel.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, I'm not sure it'd make your life any better for having heard it.

GungHo on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that she's manipulating this for personal gain.

His antics are still beyond acceptable, but I would not be surprised to find out she was an active participant in a codependent abusive relationship. Having known a fair share of mutually abusive couples, I wouldn't bat an eye if we later found out she attacked him and his "you deserved [a punch in the face]" was because she was clawing at his eyes at that moment.

Getting help in a situation like that is hard enough, I can't imagine how much harder it is when millions of people are listening in and there's an entire industry dedicated to making money off of publicizing your failure. Charlie Sheen and Tom Sizemore both got to avoid the scrutiny because there was no tape to speak of.

Isn't it nice to know that no matter how much of an abusive asshole you are, if you have enough fame and money, there will always be fans who will insist you are the Real Victim and the focus should be on getting you help, and that the victim is probably a manipulative, evil bitch who brought it and/or gave as good as she got.

Having known a fair share of couples where the abuse was anything but mutual, it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear somebody argue that a) we should first and foremost feel sorry for the abuser b) the abused partner has evil motives for refusing to hide/excuse/tolerate the abuse c) it couldn't possibly be one-sided, the victim must have done SOMETHING to cause it.

There's no evidence at all that she hit Gibson first, or hit him too, or secretly used her Pussy Mind Control Ray to manipulate his brain so that he did things he never really wanted to do, like some kind of zombie puppet. "Well I know people like this" is not evidence.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that she's manipulating this for personal gain.

His antics are still beyond acceptable, but I would not be surprised to find out she was an active participant in a codependent abusive relationship. Having known a fair share of mutually abusive couples, I wouldn't bat an eye if we later found out she attacked him and his "you deserved [a punch in the face]" was because she was clawing at his eyes at that moment.

Getting help in a situation like that is hard enough, I can't imagine how much harder it is when millions of people are listening in and there's an entire industry dedicated to making money off of publicizing your failure. Charlie Sheen and Tom Sizemore both got to avoid the scrutiny because there was no tape to speak of.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you that you are making shit up! Probably due to "lol women!"

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So you agree that you have no idea what is "typical" of their arguments, right?

What are you looking at to show that she deliberately released these recordings to the public?

No, I don't know what is typical of their arguments- no one does but them. But I know what a typical argument sounds like...

No, no you don't.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    Hrm. Am I the only one getting a "closet gay" vibe off these? Not that it really matters, but the man's got a depth of woman-hate I can't even fathom.

Woman-hate != closet gay. Which I guess means that no, not getting that vibe in the slightest; he comes across like any other guy who thinks women exist to keep his dick happy and take care of chores he'd rather not do.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mythago wrote: »

Isn't it nice to know that no matter how much of an abusive asshole you are, if you have enough fame and money, there will always be fans who will insist you are the Real Victim and the focus should be on getting you help, and that the victim is probably a manipulative, evil bitch who brought it and/or gave as good as she got.

Having known a fair share of couples where the abuse was anything but mutual, it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear somebody argue that a) we should first and foremost feel sorry for the abuser b) the abused partner has evil motives for refusing to hide/excuse/tolerate the abuse c) it couldn't possibly be one-sided, the victim must have done SOMETHING to cause it.

There's no evidence at all that she hit Gibson first, or hit him too, or secretly used her Pussy Mind Control Ray to manipulate his brain so that he did things he never really wanted to do, like some kind of zombie puppet. "Well I know people like this" is not evidence.

Well she must have done something to upset him!

*headdesk*

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I know every divorce is different, but boy does he have some rage going on. When I got divorced, it was after 8 years with a woman who was psychotic, unable or unwilling to hold down a job, who cheated on me and robbed me blind and then left me for a cook at the local Olive Garden. After the divorce, I never spoke one word to her again. I figured it was the most fitting way to response - also my divorce felt like getting out of prison so I was a bit relieved.

But, still, Mel's got to tone down the rage some.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You are certainly correct!

Apropos of a personal anecdote and no evidence whatsoever, I am going to conclude that she was also abusive! Because obviously a man couldn't possibly just be an abusive asshole on his own.

Am I the only one noticing a bizarre correlation between Mel's defenders and the conservatives on this forum? Perhaps it's because conservatives, unlike those naive liberals, know what crazy bitches women truly are.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well there's really no question to me that she's going to come out on top in this situation. But I don't see how that's a bad thing in this case.

I think recording the conversations was shady as all hell assuming she did so without his knowledge but in this case I also have trouble saying it was a bad thing. I'm not sure what else one could do to prove just how abusive and crazy he is capable of being.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ...But she could have.

Right?

Right?

And if...she could have...

And if there's reason to believe...she may have...

We shouldn't just look the other way.

Right?

Come on, you guys. No one has said Mel was totally in the right and she deserved what she got because she's a money grubbing whore who needs to get on her knees to simultaneously scrub and suck.

What some people are saying is that there is a social problem that may exist--that because of his fame and wealth that she may have chosen to use this to gain some advantage. If it is entirely unfounded, then it should not be legally pursued. If someone is using it as an excuse for what Mel did--not appropriate. But that's not what's going on.

Open minds.

Nucker on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Am I the only one noticing a bizarre correlation between Mel's defenders and the conservatives on this forum? Perhaps it's because conservatives, unlike those naive liberals, know what crazy bitches women truly are.
    What the fuck?

Why don't you go ahead and break down this correlation you seem to have noticed with a list.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    ...But she could have.

Right?

Right?

And if...she could have...

And if there's reason to believe...she may have...

We shouldn't just look the other way.

Right?

Come on, you guys. No one has said Mel was totally in the right and she deserved what she got because she's a money grubbing whore who needs to get on her knees to simultaneously scrub and suck.

What some people are saying is that there is a social problem that may exist--that because of his fame and wealth that she may have chosen to use this to gain some advantage. If it is entirely unfounded, then it should not be legally pursued. If someone is using it as an excuse for what Mel did--not appropriate. But that's not what's going on.

Open minds.
    Are you shitting me.

The guy up there just said he thinks she's manipulating him for personal gain based on his gut feelings and basically no evidence.

You think it's okay to just speculate about those type of things, no harm done, lol women? Or what.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    What the fuck?

Why don't you go ahead and break down this correlation you seem to have noticed with a list.
    Sorry, but this is in pretty bad form, Q.

GungHo on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I think the "correlation" can just be broken down to "dobalina is still retarded."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I dont think anyone has defended Mel. The closest people have come is just to say that shes the one doing the taping, shes obviously going to play nice while she knows her tape is running. This doesnt mean Mel isnt insane and doesnt need help. This isnt to say he isnt a complete asshole.

Theres another issue over racism, again nobody is defending him for what he said. The debate is whether or not using racist terms to make someone feel uncomfortable makes you a racist. Using the N-word could be a powerful way to express just how angry and far gone you are. You may not have any racist thoughts in your body, you simply know that word will push buttons. Again, personally I think Mel has shown more then enough to tell me hes a racist, but these rants alone dont do it for me.

Nobody is defending him.

I will also say this, I am sure it would take a few times of someone going off on me like this before I decided that I could get a tape out and start recording. So that points to past abusve of this nature that she was now prepared for.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The best way to make sure that your crazy word-vomit isn't taken out of context is to make sure it never leaves your mouth.

adytum on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey you guys, we need to consider all the possibilities. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all. Maybe Mel and Oksana were just in the middle of the worst freestyle rap battle ever and it was Mel's turn and Oksana just edited out the beat and chopped up Mel's rhymes.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For some reason your avatar makes that post much more enjoyable.

Now I picture Mels word vomit as a rainbow.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, is it even legal to record a phone conversation without letting the other party know you're doing it? I seem to recall there being issues with that or something.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maybe all this was preceded by Mel telling Oksana "Hey, I got this new script can I try out my character's lines on you over the phone? Ok, cool, thank you. Here I go..."

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, is it even legal to record a phone conversation without letting the other party know you're doing it? I seem to recall there being issues with that or something.

Depends on the state, most of them it isn't illegal.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In California it is illegal.

Hoz on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What the fuck?

dob, Justin Sans (sp?), and ntsf are conservatives, yis?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So then would these even be admissible in court?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey you guys, we need to consider all the possibilities. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all. Maybe Mel and Oksana were just in the middle of the worst freestyle rap battle ever and it was Mel's turn and Oksana just edited out the beat and chopped up Mel's rhymes.

Yo, you big titted floosie, why didnt you wait for me to get in the jacuzzi? You waited and waited like I took a while? It was like 2 minutes so just blow me and smile! Your arguments are so stupid, they are making MEEEE dumb. Leave me alone, I want my FREEEEDOM!

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So then would these even be admissible in court?

In the court of public opinion.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Got a cite?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What the fuck?

dob, Justin Sans (sp?), and ntsf are conservatives, yis?
    What's the political spectrum one the other 3-4 people that have posted defending Mel Gibson and trying to shift the blame to Oksana to some degree?

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Got a cite?

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm#State%20Laws%20%28Table%29

If I were Mel Gibson, this would be the part where I beat you for being a lazy cunt.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Got a cite?

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm#State%20Laws%20%28Table%29

If I were Mel Gibson, this would be the part where I beat you for being a lazy cunt.

I was curious about the statute and wanted to look at it.

I know you think the next sentence was a funny joke but I am pretty upset that you typed it at all. Christ.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a good thing I live in Texas in case Mel calls me.
    I know you think the next sentence was a funny joke but I am pretty upset that you typed it at all. Christ.
    Awww... come 'ere sweetheart.

batman-hug.jpg

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Got a cite?

Wait, are you a girl?

Hoz on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Got a cite?

Wait, are you a girl?

Far as I know, yup.

Mel, is that you?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!