Options

A funny [chat] happened on the way to the forum

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am also more okay with people stealing stuff than with people stealing stuff and claiming they have a moral right to do it

I download stuff

of questionable legality

period

it is not my manifest destiny or whatever the fuck to watch this movie I was just lazy

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Of course. But again, the movement toward content-libraries is the right direction.

I mean, it's a pipe dream. But it's a pipe-dream reliant on re-defining economic "truths" which are only truths because current business models are built upon them. It's circular.

Well, some things are moving towards content libraries with some lockdowns. Kind of the "network TV" model.

But not everything. You still pay for computer software and newer movies and music. Or, well, you're supposed to do so. And it's impossible to imagine that these expensive-to-create forms of media could survive under an ad-revenue supported model.

And maybe some GNU types are fully satisfied with their non-commercial software and Nethacks and Battles of Wesnoth and hobbyist-created Linux distros and sub-indie free music and any form of media made on a shoestring.

But it's not for everyone and it's hard to see how paring produced media down to the recreational hobbyist level is advancing society and culture at large.

Well, it has a lot to do with the fact that copyright, etc., isn't designed to help content-creators, but to lock-down markets. I support musicians by buying merch direct or attending performances. I support authors by disseminating reviews, word-of-mouth: "marketing".

I bought a friend's mother's book recently, and she got all happy that my $20 purchase netted her $0.23 in royalty.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I am also more okay with people stealing stuff than with people stealing stuff and claiming they have a moral right to do it

I download stuff

of questionable legality

period

it is not my manifest destiny or whatever the fuck to watch this movie I was just lazy

I don't think I have a "moral right", but I do have respect for practical systems of supply and demand which paint a far different picture.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Anyhow, it's not as though these bandwidth-intensive operations or massive illegal torrents (which are, let's face it, the very center of the "net neutrality" movement)

A lot more to it than that.

yeah?

IPs would like to charge tyou according to the quantity of data and the reliability of the network. Given that they have to build and maintain the infrastructure that allows for this, i don't really see how this is unreasonable.

I guess I don't see the obvious counterpoint.

It's about the fact that it creates an undue burden on low-income individuals to remain competitive in the current environment. Ever tried to find a job without internet in the last 5 years?

low-end internet usage would be much cheaper if it were allowed to be metered or prioritized.

if you are paying for internet to search for jobs and send resumes, you are subsidizing the guy who's constantly pumping torrents over his connection. you two are paying the same amount.

you are subsizing the small businesses who aren't paying for their own servers.

the two issues are : a) piracy and b) data volume. I don't see how either is defensible and the real cause motivating the movement combines both of them.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    91% seems awfully high to me even for someone making near 2 million. That's absurd. That's practically punishing the rich if you ask me.

Of course, I don't know why I'm even bothering with that opinion here. While the rich don't pay their fair share, I think it's safe to say that there seems to exist two opinions with little in between.

Either you're far right and think the rich are horribly abused, or you're far left and think that the rich don't deserve to be rich and are automatically put in the same hate pile as cops and religion

Ludious on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    I'm perfectly fine with an internet subscription where you pay per volume. Heck, mobile internet via cell phones still do that.

But if you want me to pay more for certain ones and zeroes than other ones and zeroes? Hell no.

Echo on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what does sub-indie mean?

James on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder how much I use with my internet habits.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyhow, it's not as though these bandwidth-intensive operations or massive illegal torrents (which are, let's face it, the very center of the "net neutrality" movement)

yeah?

IPs would like to charge tyou according to the quantity of data and the reliability of the network. Given that they have to build and maintain the infrastructure that allows for this, i don't really see how this is unreasonable.

It's about the fact that it creates an undue burden on low-income individuals to remain competitive in the current environment. Ever tried to find a job without internet in the last 5 years?

low-end internet usage would be much cheaper if it were allowed to be metered or prioritized.

if you are paying for internet to search for jobs and send resumes, you are subsidizing the guy who's constantly pumping torrents over his connection. you two are paying the same amount.

except that people tend to use the internet for more than one thing

the internet's kind of famous for that

having multiple uses

Rust on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm perfectly fine with an internet subscription where you pay per volume. Heck, mobile internet via cell phones still do that.

But if you want me to pay more for certain ones and zeroes than other ones and zeroes? Hell no.

I am perfectly fine with a volume subscription as long as one of the option available to me is unlimited volume and still fairly affordable.

This exists in the UK afaik.

Daxon on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Nah, the Pirate Party just wants to download shit for free.

Even though the whole thing got more or less kicked off by a loudmouth AT&T CEO being like "Why should I let these guys use my pipes for free?" or something to that effect.

Edit: "These guys" in the scenario being Interweb Companies. Even though they pay for their internet access. He thought maybe they should have to pay because all these people accessing them were going through this guys network and he's all about some double dipping.

Because most of these ISPs are giant fucking assholes, and even though their infrastructures are subsidized by the taxpayers, they think it's super cool attempt bullshit payschemes that charge people twice for the same thing. Even though this exact type of oversight has already gone through for everything from phone companies to taverns in the way before times. The long long ago.

It's not double dipping, it's tripple dipping. I pay once for my service as a monthly fee. The content providers pay once per gig for their connection and then they want to charge me a tier service on top of it. The fallacy that content providers aren't paying is wrong. The reality is that level 3 providers don't want Google playing in their space. It's more about anti-competition then an inability to make a profit.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the two issues are : a) piracy and b) data volume. I don't see how either is defensible and the real cause motivating the movement combines both of them.

That just seems to cut off your nose to spite your face. Mass-torrenters are a minority of internet users.

Not to mention that companies like Comcast have essential monopolies, especially in more rural areas like W. Mass. We pay what they say we pay, there really isn't much more to it. They do what they want, and we go along.

The whole thing is much more complex, and copyright infringement is a small but easily strawman'd defense.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    I am perfectly fine with a volume subscription as long as one of the option available to me is unlimited volume and still fairly affordable.

That goes without saying.

Echo on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    91% seems awfully high to me even for someone making near 2 million. That's absurd. That's practically punishing the rich if you ask me.

Of course, I don't know why I'm even bothering with that opinion here. While the rich don't pay their fair share, I think it's safe to say that there seems to exist two opinions with little in between.

Either you're far right and think the rich are horribly abused, or you're far left and think that the rich don't deserve to be rich and are automatically put in the same hate pile as cops and religion

i agree 91% is ridiculously high (thats why it shocked me that that existed in the USA)

but i also think its silly that there aren't more different levels of tax brackets

there are people out there making 300 million dollars a year regularly
    surely they should pay a little more than someone making 300 something thousand a year because like... at that point it ain't no thing

but when you're making say 1-3 million and under it is a thing

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My problem with paying per volume is now with the advent of legitimate methods of media procurement (Itunes, Steam, Netflix Instant), I can be using my bandwidth legitimately and suddenly I am supposed to pay..extra? No. I can't do that.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2010
    Well, it has a lot to do with the fact that copyright, etc., isn't designed to help content-creators, but to lock-down markets. I support musicians by buying merch direct or attending performances. I support authors by disseminating reviews, word-of-mouth: "marketing".

I bought a friend's mother's book recently, and she got all happy that my $20 purchase netted her $0.23 in royalty.

well, that's ultimately a problem with the book publishing industry, not the idea of copyright. royalties should be higher, but the book companies are contracting and their business model isn't really holding up with the collapse of a reading population.

ultimately, authors need to sell books. they do not make money when people read their books for free.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The problem with most anti net-neutrality arguments is that they assume we have a competitive ISP market

we certaintly do not

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also, in pokemon fire red the opening scene shows a nidoran jumping at a gengar

why would they do that it'll just go through him

but maybe its a non-normal move

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2010

well, that's ultimately a problem with the book publishing industry, not the idea of copyright. royalties should be higher, but the book companies are contracting and their business model isn't really holding up with the collapse of a reading population.

ultimately, authors need to sell books. they do not make money when people read their books for free.

They make money, if you're talking about books that are worth-while, by their day job teaching/researching, etc.

Blockbuster novels are also the minority, though that's what we tend to look at when we look at publishing.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The problem with most anti net-neutrality arguments is that they assume we have a competitive ISP market

we certaintly do not

*in america

note that i don't know how this holds up outside of here

Arch on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't see net neutrality as being about piracy at all. Piracy will always find a way to survive. Maybe by masquerading as some other kind of traffic, or running over secure conections, or maybe just by taking a slight speed hit. It's not like even the biggest personal pirates saturate their connections 24/7 anyway (maybe people running things like seedboxes do but they're a huge minority).

Net neutrality is much, much more about ISPs wanting to prioritize basic services like TV and phone over the data network and squeeze out competitors. Piracy is just a distraction to gain political support by piggybacking on the copyright lobby's efforts.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that metered plans are perfectly allowable while maintaining a neutral network. You just have to be sure to meter all kinds of traffic the same.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And they're getting really pissed at Amazon, who demanded that nothing on the Kindle should cost more than 10 dollars, in order to attract people.

A new hardcover easily costs twice that. Incidentally, the author also gets twice the money from a hardcover sale.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

we certaintly do not

And the providers spend soooo much money to keep it this way. A lot of that money comes from subsidy.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    James wrote: »

inde presses are (sometimes) now respectable businesses, with profits and investments and employees and managers.

whereas some media makers do things like put all their stuff out for free on the interbutts and i guess try to fund their efforts with ads or else just beg for people to send them money

i guess that's what i meant by sub-indie.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I'm pretty sure more books are a being sold than before and that that figure is currently rising.

Argument falls apart.

Also, hardly anyone downloads books and reads them on their computer - that's painful and annoying, and printing out said books would be a massive hassle.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

i agree 91% is ridiculously high (thats why it shocked me that that existed in the USA)

but i also think its silly that there aren't more different levels of tax brackets

surely they should pay a little more than someone making 300 something thousand a year because like... at that point it ain't no thing

I'm a conservative and I agree with this. It does even more damage because when somebody actual does want to tax the rich more, the are hitting the 300k people way harder than the 300 million people. If we had more tax brackets, we could tax the mega-rich more easily. Of course that would net us less money overall than just saying everyone over 300k is super-rich and taxing the shit out of all of them, but it's the right thing to do.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    James wrote: »

inde presses are (sometimes) now respectable businesses, with profits and investments and employees and managers.

whereas some media makers do things like put all their stuff out for free on the interbutts and i guess try to fund their efforts with ads or else just beg for people to send them money

i guess that's what i meant by sub-indie.

I miss mail-order distros... Now they're all huge record labels akin to the big-boys (and usually, at this point, with the same goals and funding sources).

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How much money does it cost to sell a 20 dollar book anyway?

If sold in a book store I'm guessing a lot

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man, just wait until 3D printers get really mature and you can very literally download a car.

Echo on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

yeah?

you are subsizing the small businesses who aren't paying for their own servers.

Metered billing doesn't have to do with net neutrality until you start getting into ridiculously inflated price per mb(or whatever measurement) to the point where the FCC might cap it. So it doesn't have to do with net neutrality unless the ISP decides it wants to institute metered billing so that it can overcharge everyone to the point where regulatory bodies find that they have to get involved.

It doesn't have to do with net neutrality. The biggest (arguably) part of net neutrality is ISPs getting regulated as Common Carriers which is what they fucking are. They'd like to pretend they're not, but they're transporting goods only because they've been subsidized and licensed by the government and there must be oversight when it comes to how they handle the bits and bytes that go across their lines. So that they don't go doublecharging people (like some have mentioned/wanted/tried to) and so they don't go mitigating a competitor's traffic in favor of their own (think netflix vs some ISPs bullshit movie thing they decide to release on the internet, I'm looking at you, comcast.

There are other elements, but that's the chief one on the table, to my mind.

Meaning the subsidies go to improving the infrastructure and making certain that the monopolies and duopolies price themselves fairly so that everyday joe can access this amazing resource for information/employment/economic stimulation.

Edit: Not sure how that last bit got placed out of order, my apologies. It still sort of makes sense.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rust wrote: »

having multiple uses

sure

but Crow's assertion was that low-income people would be hobbled in their job hunts by per-use cost structures for internets

and i pointed out that these poor people would be paying less for the kind of net use he's talking about under a metered, non "net neutral" system.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man, just wait until 3D printers get really mature and you can very literally download a car.

You mean a Universal Constructor? That shit's gonna be expensive. Especially when you have to replace the platinum/gold cartridges.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

having multiple uses

sure

but Crow's assertion was that low-income people would be hobbled in their job hunts by per-use cost structures for internets

and i pointed out that these poor people would be paying less for the kind of net use he's talking about under a metered, non "net neutral" system.

No, no, Will.

I argue that low-income households get hobbled by lack of competition, non-supply and demand pricing and the current strategy to attempt to monetize everything.

EDIT: I actually think that the current models are something like $60/month + overuseage.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

having multiple uses

sure

What? No. Having volume limited monthly internet subscriptions are still net-neutral. If you're going to use the internet for email, chat, and job searching/CVs you might get a 5 gb per month subscription because that's all fairly low volume.

It ceases being net-neutral when the ISPs say "so we see you been using hulu/iplayer quite a bit there. Here, take this additional bill for using that site." Paying for a higher/unlimited volume subscription is not equivalent to this.

Daxon on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zamp tl:dr youre basically saying turn Internet Service into a utility correct?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yes, more or less.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Smurph wrote: »

I'm a conservative and I agree with this. It does even more damage because when somebody actual does want to tax the rich more, the are hitting the 300k people way harder than the 300 million people. If we had more tax brackets, we could tax the mega-rich more easily. Of course that would net us less money overall than just saying everyone over 300k is super-rich and taxing the shit out of all of them, but it's the right thing to do.

Yeah basically. The system of tax brackets I do not think is fair to people making over 300k but under super rich people. More divisions means they can do things more fairly. Because people making 300k are not in even remotely the same situation as people flying around in jets and riding on yachts.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yes, more or less.

:^:

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I downloaded 170 gigs in a few days a week ago.

Reinstalling Steam does that.

Echo on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Douglas McDowell rocked (and was a really nice wee man).

BobCesca on
This discussion has been closed.