Options

XBox 360 headsets

DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tieAhhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend/roommate needs to study for the next few months and I need to be quiet when I am home.

What are my options as far as 360 headsets go. I imagine I just can't pop my earbuds into the controller. What should I be looking at. Things available at Gamestop are a plus because there is one right by my office.

Thanks!

Deebaser on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I believe the headset is the 2.5mm standard. (Edit: which a lot of cell phones use, so you may have one already)
    So any headset will do, and I'm quite sure Gamestop will carry something.
    But you could also go to RadioShack or Wal-Mart and grab anything that's 2.5mm

Though you mention being quiet. I wasn't aware you could output sound through the headset.
    Thought it was for LIVE bits only.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You'll probably be looking at what your TV can handle, not the 360.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can have voice set to go through your "speakers" from the xbox settings. Then just get a good pair of noise canceling headphones that can plug into your receiver. After you have the sound setup, you can use any mic on a 2.5mm jack (even the existing headset), it might take some creativity to place the mic in a comfortable spot.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    You'll probably be looking at what your TV can handle, not the 360.

Yeah, assuming you mean that you want to have your game sound playing through headphones, you can't just use an xbox 360 headset, you'll need a pair of headphones hooked up to your receiver or TV audio-out.

There are some headset/headphone combos designed for xbox/gaming, and we just had a thread about it recently that you can check for recommendations.

Daenris on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The first question is how do you connect your 360 to your tv?

Do you use HDMI or the component cables?

If your TV has a headset jack (most due) you could try plugging in any headset. You will not be able to use Voice chat this way.

Your next option is a video game compatible headset. There are many options, depending on how you connect.

Component connection (Audio is R/W rca)

Inexpensive:

Turtle Beach headsets:
    Turtle Beach XLC : I would not personally buy this headset. The quality of volume is minimal, but if you're never going to use another headset, these may be servicable.

Turtle Beach X11: This is the wired version of the headset I bought first. The volume controls are excellent and are comfortable for long term gaming. I do not know how long the cord is, so this may be an issue depending on viewing distance from the TV.

Turtle Beach x31: This is the first headset I bought. same positives as above, but some negatives: eats batteries, Distance from transmitter may be a problem. I usually went through a pair of rechargeables every week, but I play most nights, for 2-3 hours a night. There was also a hissing sound when not playing loud noises.

Mid-high range (optical port):
    Tritton ax720 This is the headset I have now. 5.1 positional audio and voice/volume controls make it a nice upgrade. The price will probably come down some more after august, but you're looking at now. I recommend the company, now purchased by madcatz because they have their own section of customer support and I got a free audio controller when mine broke 3 days after I broke it.

Astro a40 The king of gaming headsets, you could get a PA themed version. The mix amp is what makes this headset so great, but there are plenty of "knock offs" that are the same and are less expensive. Couldn't respond without talking about them though.

if you don't have a dedicated optical port (new 360), then you either have to buy this:HDMI with optical prot or hack off the plastic on your component cable and plug it in with the hdmi cord, like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptCB_3DOz4

belligerent on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if you don't have the money for the Astro's, the tritton's are great. I have them myself and I love em. My roommate has the turtle beach X11's and he likes them. They're kinda surround sound, but not 5.1 like the trittons. I can tell if someone is above or below me with those.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Solved / Thread necro

I picked up the X31 yesterday and they are just what the doctor ordered. I was pissed that the batteries were AAA until I realized my charger does AAA as well as AA. I'll just pick up a pack of rechargeables and I should be good2go.

Thanks all!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    stars1stars1 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    My girlfriend/roommate needs to study for the next few months and I need to be quiet when I am home.

What are my options as far as XBOX 360 headsets go. I imagine I just can't pop my earbuds into the controller. What should I be looking at. Things available at Gamestop are a plus because there is one right by my office.

Thanks!

the XBOX 360 headset is 2.5mm Jack, Plantronics GameCom X10 Headset is designed for Xbox 360 and Xbox.

stars1 on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mute button =P.

In all seriousness though, like what other people say, i think you're looking more at plugging earphones into the tv. I don't play on Live so I don't know about that, but I'd imagine either way you're trying to circumvent the TV's speakers.

mightyjongyo on