As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 2, 48 hours away!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, nothing says "I'm just here for the check" like telling the world that not only have you not read the source material, you don't hold it in enough regard to lose a week or two to do so.

see317 on
  • Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Fair enough. But if it was a choice between a Harris kind of image or a Gambon kind of image, I would definitely have erred on the side of Harris, always.

Regardless of how you feel about Harris, Gambon is just awful.

Awful? Really? Even if you like Harris better, Gambon's Dumbledore is not some travesty. I think his work in the last film in particular was great. "Severus...Please" is just as heartwrenching as it is in the book.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gambon's was really bad at times, but mostly it was alright.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Fair enough. But if it was a choice between a Harris kind of image or a Gambon kind of image, I would definitely have erred on the side of Harris, always.

Regardless of how you feel about Harris, Gambon is just awful.

Awful? Really? Even if you like Harris better, Gambon's Dumbledore is not some travesty. I think his work in the last film in particular was great. "Severus...Please" is just as heartwrenching as it is in the book.

Yes, I think he is awful. And I don't really care if it's his fault as an actor, the director's fault, or a combination of the two.

I don't want to shit on the thread though so let's just leave it at that.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ohox.png

Glal on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate the term overrated.

"You see that thing you all like? Youre rating it wrong. I know becasue I am the correct arbiter of where things should be. Rated."

Jeedan on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jeedan wrote: »

"You see that thing you all like? Youre rating it wrong. I know becasue I am the correct arbiter of where things should be. Rated."

Yeah, 75% of that thread is "Look at me, I'm awesome for hating this thing people like!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now you're making me feel bad for having that blue-dotted... :(

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Glal wrote: »

It's ok, that thread is over-rated.

see317 on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

It's ok, that thread is over-rated.

Your mom is over-rated.
    Wait, that makes too much sense...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »

Yeah, 75% of that thread is "Look at me, I'm awesome for hating this thing people like!"

I only blue-dotted in that thread to tell everyone they're wrong.

Very wrong.

Cristo on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's cool; I blue-dotted it to bitch about Twilight.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have seen some videos from the game before, and it actually looks decent.

Cristo on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    i'm not sure i like the rapid fire spell thing but other than that, looks interesting

Organichu on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That game looks pretty great.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    How were they supposed to know
    aaaa.jpg
    would become
    emma-watson1g.jpg

Besides, she's the best actor of the three mains (although they lucked out that all turned out solid) and overall they really lucked out with their child actors

Eyebrows? Are you kidding?

She projects a single emotion at almost all times, and that's irate/concerned. I'm not saying this makes her a bad actress, but it certainy isn't anything too impressive.

Plus she really REALLY acts with her eyebrows. Particularly in film 4.

I don't know if there is a best of the three, really. I think they're all pretty solid given their direction/lines.
    To be fair Hermione in the books was pretty much stuck in the irate/concerned section of the emotional spectrum at all times as well.

The one-dimensional actress portrays the one-dimensional character quite well.

Edit: Though, I would say that Hermoine is in "incredulous mode" throughout most of the book.

_J_ on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

That fat guy, Paul, almost makes this unwatchable. So annoying.

never die on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    never die wrote: »

If you call that fat, then I feel sorry for your girlfriend. Though, Paul does have a point in that it's basically GoW with a harry potter skin.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    "You would call it a machine gun, but I would call it a rapid-fire spell."

Wow. That's...subtle.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah this game doesn't really have much to do with Harry Potter besides the skin.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    you know what i noticed, upon rereading deathly hallows?
    when fred dies, you don't get george's reaction. i found that really strange. george's name is only used once after fred's death: you are told that he is kneeling at fred's head, at the conclusion of the battle. but no more detail. i know there are a lot of dead and equal attention can't be given at all but (especially with the scene around george's ear incident) and how central the characters are, i'd have expected george crying or screaming or flipping out or even making a joke to cope or anything. kind of stuck with me, that she let it go.

Organichu on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    you know what i noticed, upon rereading deathly hallows?
    when fred dies, you don't get george's reaction. i found that really strange. george's name is only used once after fred's death: you are told that he is kneeling at fred's head, at the conclusion of the battle. but no more detail. i know there are a lot of dead and equal attention can't be given at all but (especially with the scene around george's ear incident) and how central the characters are, i'd have expected george crying or screaming or flipping out or even making a joke to cope or anything. kind of stuck with me, that she let it go.

Thinking about Freds reaction to George almost dieing I think Fred dieing might be the one thing that would make him speachless. Thats gotta be like loosing half your body.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is the crucio spell. It's a rapid-fire spell.

Oooh there is a lot of recoil there...

Recoil from a wand?
    picard-facepalm.jpg

Yogo on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Harry using the crucio curse like it isn't any problem at all makes me facepalm.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    never die wrote: »

If you call that fat, then I feel sorry for your girlfriend. Though, Paul does have a point in that it's basically GoW with a harry potter skin.

Yeah, I rewatched the video, he doesn't look fat at all. I guess I was just pushing the negative image I had of him in my head to grossly exaggerate how he looked. I'm not defending the game, I just found most of his comments annoying and his voice grating.

Though listening to the other guy try to deflect his comments got old fast too. No, it totally isn't like a machinge gun, nosiree.

never die on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    Harry using the crucio curse like it isn't any problem at all makes me facepalm.

If you use it your alignment shifts and you get an alternate ending.

I assume.

Otherwise it is fucking stupid.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

If you use it your alignment shifts and you get an alternate ending.

I assume.

Otherwise it is fucking stupid.

Something like Ultimate Sith Edition for the Force unleashed? that would be awesome!

never die on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    To be fair, Harry did use the Crucio spell a fair few times in the last book without going through all of these emo "who have I become" feelings.

It's not like it's the Avada Kedavra spell or anything.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Harry used the Cruciatus curse a couple times, both on Death Eaters and it only lasted a second.

However, the Cruciatus curse is not a spell that spams low-accuracy high-ROF projectiles at dudes until they fall over. Basically that is a magic-skinned videogame Uzi.

I suppose Expelliarmus is a short-range, powerful close-burst spell that gets progressively less effective the further away your target is.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if they'll ever make a great Harry Potter game. The only way I could see it working is if Bioware got a hold of it, came up with an original story with original characters, and put you in a MMO environment.

Here's how I would imagine it. Set up a number of pregame options to shape the story and then away you go. Lineage (pure blood, half blood, muggle born,) House, Wand (determines specialty of spells,) background (wizard family upbringing, anti-wizard muggle family, dark wizard family, orphan) and then you go to school. You get more powerful by upgrading and learning new spells while going through a storyline at the school. You graduate and pick a profession (wand maker, auror, magical creature tamer, curse breaker.) All of that set against the background of a wizard war.

devCharles on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if they'll ever make a great Harry Potter game. The only way I could see it working is if Bioware got a hold of it, came up with an original story with original characters, and put you in a MMO environment.

Here's how I would imagine it. Set up a number of pregame options to shape the story and then away you go. Lineage (pure blood, half blood, muggle born,) House, Wand (determines specialty of spells,) background (wizard family upbringing, anti-wizard muggle family, dark wizard family, orphan) and then you go to school. You get more powerful by upgrading and learning new spells while going through a storyline at the school. You graduate and pick a profession (wand maker, auror, magical creature tamer, curse breaker.) All of that set against the background of a wizard war.

This can only work if I can become 9 again, end up in the world of Harry Potter, and get invited to attend Hogwarts.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Technically, you'd start out at 11. But yeah, world of Harry Potter, invited to Hogwarts, the setting during the first war with Voldemort. You could pull an Old Republic and do it during a time setting that we have no real connection to.

Like I said though, never going to happen. JK Rowling would have to relinquish control, and I don't think she wants to go all George Lucas on her series.

devCharles on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Technically, you'd start out at 11. But yeah, world of Harry Potter, invited to Hogwarts, the setting during the first war with Voldemort. You could pull an Old Republic and do it during a time setting that we have no real connection to.

Like I said though, never going to happen. JK Rowling would have to relinquish control, and I don't think she wants to go all George Lucas on her series.

Not yet, but once she's tired of only having three money-mattresses in her house...

see317 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't the theme park that .. Universal? ... is building. I think that's actually licensed off the movies and not the books, because from what I remember Rowling didn't sign off on that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Isn't the theme park that .. Universal? ... is building. I think that's actually licensed off the movies and not the books, because from what I remember Rowling didn't sign off on that.

I believe she has final say on the movies but not any merchandising past that.

Which explains the awful awful toys and broombrator.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think I remember a quote from her re: the first few HP video games, something along the lines of, "Thanks for not giving Harry an M-16."

Cut to that gameplay preview, where they've apparently done exactly that.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I think I remember a quote from her re: the first few HP video games, something along the lines of, "Thanks for not giving Harry an M-16."

Cut to that gameplay preview, where they've apparently done exactly that.

At least it's a magic M-16 though.
    And a magic rocket launcher.

Possibly a magic flamethrower later.

see317 on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you think they'd do a magic gravity gun?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods