As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KotOR 2- Worth it?

HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I've been on a Star Wars gaming binge lately and I just finished up going through KotOR 1 again. I was wondering if KotOR 2 was worth it if I can find it for cheap. I know I've read a lot of bad impressions about it but most of them seemed to stem around the fact the the game has a rushed/shitty ending. What I'm curious about is if the game has a length similar to the original and if the game overall (up until the lackluster ending) is a good experience. In other words if all I'm looking for is another experience that's similar, at least gameplay+length-wise, to KotOR 1 is it's sequel going to deliver?

HappylilElf on

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been on a Star Wars gaming binge lately and I just finished up going through KotOR 1 again. I was wondering if KotOR 2 was worth it if I can find it for cheap. I know I've read a lot of bad impressions about it but most of them seemed to stem around the fact the the game has a rushed/shitty ending. What I'm curious about is if the game has a length similar to the original and if the game overall (up until the lackluster ending) is a good experience. In other words if all I'm looking for is another experience that's similar, at least gameplay+length-wise, to KotOR 1 is it's sequel going to deliver?

I think it's worth it. It's not quite as good in the gameplay department (the game is even easier, if you can believe that, and the equipment you get is absolutely amazing compared to what you get in KotOR1).

But it's still a good game. While it still plays the same, the game does have a different, darker feel, and many would agree with me that the writing is much better than in the first game (sans ending, of course, where they chopped most of it out at the last minute to get it done). And I'm the only one that ever mentions this, but I felt it was a much more emotionally charged experience, something I never felt KotOR lacked until I played KotOR2.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you on PC or Xbox? You can find both for $20 off the shelf and I would say that it is worth it. Yes, the ending is/was rushed and the PC is getting a hugh mod to fix it (www.teamgizka.com) in addition to other errors found along the way (with gizka has patches for) The story along the way to the end is top notch though and yes, it lasts at least as long as the original.

EDIT: As Pancake said, yeah game is overall darker and a lot of the LS/DS choices aren't as cut and dry as in KotoR 1. I also don't think there is a "Defining Moment" in KotOR2 like there is in KotOR1.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pancake nailed all the points I'd want to hit.

If you're a Star Wars fan and the first game was pleasing, it's almost impossible not to get a lot of enjoyment out of the second.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Excellent. I'd be playing it on PC and since a lot of the games I've been trying to play don't want to work (Galactic Battlegrounds, X-Wing Alliance/TIE Fighter Collectors Edition) well in XP being able to pick up KotOR 2 and run through it would be awesome.

Best Buy here I come...tomorrow :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I still haven't finished KotOR 2 simply because I couldn't bring myself to care. Whenever I hit a minor bump on the road, I don't really feel like trying again and doing it right this time.

I think it's because of the secondary characters. They're so... totally not captivating. The main character, I admit, is surprisingly awesome, but everybody around him/her is just... bleh.

So I'm a bit lukewarm on KotOR 2. But on the other hand, if you can find it on the cheap, I suggest you give it a try anyway. Not everyone shares my worrying interest in videogame characters after all.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I still haven't finished KotOR 2 simply because I couldn't bring myself to care. Do whenever I hit a minor bump on the road, I don't really feel like trying again and doing it right this time.

I think it's because of the secondary characters. They're so... totally not captivating. The main character, I admit, is surprisingly awesome, but everybody around him/her is just... bleh.

So I'm a bit lukewarm on KotOR 2. But on the other hand, if you can find it on the cheap, I suggest you give it a try anyway. Not everyone shares my worrying interest in videogame characters after all.

I probably share your worrying interest in videogame characters, but I honestly found that the characters in KotOR2 were very interesting. Not all of them, of course, but plenty of them. Some of them had a depth of character that I've rarely seen BioWare even try to touch, and while they weren't wholly likable, most people aren't. They felt very... human to me. At least for characters in an RPG where I'm so used to BioWare's characters (which aren't bad, by the way, except I hate the comedy relief characters they always put in).

Some seemed pretty undeveloped, though, probably because of lack of time, but those didn't feel much worse off than your average RPG character to me.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    yes.

and IIRC, threesome? Or was that just Jade Empire?

Kerbob97 on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Some seemed pretty undeveloped, though, probably because of lack of time, but those didn't feel much worse off than your average RPG character to me.
    Yeah, but, I don't care about the ones that are developed either. I dunno... there's just some kind of jangling discord that gets in the way. I'm not sure if I should blame it on the writing or if it's just some weird personal quirk of mine.

And it's not that they're not supposed to be likeable, it's just that they fail to evoke any kind of emotional response whatsoever. I mean, I've hated characters in the past (usually villains) and while it's not the most pleasant of emotions it sure did draw me into the story. But these, as well developed and as morally grey as they are, simply make me go 'meh'.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I still haven't finished KotOR 2 simply because I couldn't bring myself to care. Do whenever I hit a minor bump on the road, I don't really feel like trying again and doing it right this time.

I probably share your worrying interest in videogame characters, but I honestly found that the characters in KotOR2 were very interesting. Not all of them, of course, but plenty of them. Some of them had a depth of character that I've rarely seen BioWare even try to touch, and while they weren't wholly likable, most people aren't. They felt very... human to me. At least for characters in an RPG where I'm so used to BioWare's characters (which aren't bad, by the way, except I hate the comedy relief characters they always put in).

The Kotor 2 characters seemed to take more digging to get to the interesting stuff, while in Kotor 1 they just spilled their life story at the drop of a hat. I'd have to say the Kotor 2 guys were more interesting though, it just took more work to get there.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sites www.team-gizka.org by the way

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

The Kotor 2 characters seemed to take more digging to get to the interesting stuff, while in Kotor 1 they just spilled their life story at the drop of a hat. I'd have to say the Kotor 2 guys were more interesting though, it just took more work to get there.

I gotta say, after finding out I could bet a synopsis of every character by reading the quest for that character in KotOR 1, I just clicked option 1 as quickly as possible in every case except for HK. HK's backstory is entertaining simply because he had a well written comical background and the voice acting was superb.

I don't really care about how well done the chracters are in KotOR 2 are because in reality I know nothing is going to beat HK in the original. The plot doesn't concern me in the least. All I'm looling for is a new game that I can play through and build up another whirlwind of death. Although after my mosty recent playthrough I'm debating the lightsaber whilwind of death theory. Force Choke/Kill is disgustingly effective at mauling enemies.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

I gotta say, after finding out I could bet a synopsis of every character by reading the quest for that character in KotOR 1, I just clicked option 1 as quickly as possible in every case except for HK. HK's backstory is entertaining simply because he had a well written comical background and the voice acting was superb.

I don't really care about how well done the chracters are in KotOR 2 are because in reality I know nothing is going to beat HK in the original. The plot doesn't concern me in the least. All I'm looling for is a new game that I can play through and build up another whirlwind of death. Although after my mosty recent playthrough I'm debating the lightsaber whilwind of death theory. Force Choke/Kill is disgustingly effective at mauling enemies.

I thought that, then I got through Atton's life story. It was a huge "holy fuck" moment I tell you
    See, he starts out like Carth does in KOTOR 1 in that he's an incessant whiner and not actually all that cool, however when you get into his story it turns out that he used to be an agent of the Sith trained specifically to hunt down and kill jedi

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    S.S. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I must be like the only person in the world who liked G0-T0.

S. on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I still haven't finished KotOR 2 simply because I couldn't bring myself to care. Whenever I hit a minor bump on the road, I don't really feel like trying again and doing it right this time.

I had the same problem. Never finished it because I couldn't find a real motivation. It feels like there is nothing that drives you forward.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    S. wrote: »
    I must be like the only person in the world who liked G0-T0.

yes. And I'd seek help if I were you.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The first 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the game are fantastic; the endgame...isn't.

Nar Shaddaa is worth the price of admission, though, and all of your NPCs are a lot cooler than the ones in the first game, excepting maybe Jolee.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The main problem I had with the game was bugs. I kept having to follow a goddamn walkthrough to not get through areas without ten impossible-to-complete quests left due to bugs, Dantooine and Nar Shadaa being the worst offenders. It's not a stress-free experience for this reason, and nevermind the ridiculous glitches with the graphics engine, where it would slow to 1 fps all the time for no reason...
    I also had to refer to a walkthrough to not screw up the methods for gaining influence or turning my party into Jedi, which, along with a lot of other things, involved altogether too much guesswork if you ask me.

That said, it was an extremely tense and engaging experience, until the end sequence, which was both incredibly slow (1 fps) and not terribly interesting, though I suppose the final confrontation was not bad.

It's true after I got through everything I would see how the area was pretty rushed and not up to the KOTOR 1 quality, but I didn't care until I'd got through it, which should say something. I don't regret spending 50 hours on it at all (the first 10-15 being for a game wherein I missed half the quests due to not being careful and rushing too much).

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll have to say that overall I agree with what a good number of other people in the threat have said. Gameplay wise(with the addition of styles and the ability to go over level 20), KotOR 2 is superior. Overall, it is written a lot better except at the end. But I also do agree that really...the character didn't interest me as much as the one's from the first game did.

And I think the problem with that is that they never really took the time to flesh out many of the characters personalities(sans maybe Kreia). Really, it was like during the first one I had a "team", a group of my favorite characters that I took with me because I liked having them in the group. In the second, it wasn't like that...I'd pretty much just use anyone who I felt like using at the moment, because they didn't really interest me all that much(I will admit that Atton's confession was cool...but once it was over with I went back to being meh about it).

So yeah, the sequel is written better and has cool gameplay options(like the styles) and overall I would recommend it...but character-wise I would say the first was superior and I probably like it more because of that reason.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I smiled at this thread because I'm replaying the game right now. I enjoyed the first better, but this is still a quite fine game.

Etch on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The game play certainly improved, so you should enjoy it just from that.
    The story line though, in my opinion, got worse. Every planet you go to is dead, or abandoned, or destroyed, and it's quite depressing.
    Also the characters didn't impress me. In terms of characters and story line I enjoyed the first one a whole lot more.
    I even tried playing the second one again, but abandoned it when I came to Nar Shaaddaa. Such a screwy planet! :-p

minirhyder on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kotor 2 is the only RPG in recent memory that was so dull I couldn't force myself to play through it. Might be worth it if you can get it cheap, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I enjoyed KOTOR 2, but seriously, the tone was so damn depressing.
    I rescued the republic at the end of KOTOR 1, damn it. Why is everything in ruin?
    And the locations just don't hold a candle to KOTOR 1, they're not as memorable, no wookie planet, no ocean planet, no tatooine. Just boring settings.

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'll weigh in on the side of liking the characters just fine. While they lacked something you might miss from KOTOR, the game does other things well. And it's strange to say, but playing Bioware games is always a pain for me, partly, because they always create this menagerie of characters that I fall in love with and consequently spend a shitton of time trying to balance bringing the characters I like with the characters that won't get me killed, and trying to not leave anyone out so I find out as much as possible about them.

With KOTOR 2, I found a number that were plenty interesting and that I liked (the entire party dynamic with Kreia's speaches got to be very very strange), but that imperative was reduced just enough so that I wasn't stressing about who to bring all the time, but rather trying to assemble well-rounded parties. Also, the overabundance of Jedi potential made the game a lot easier, since I wasn't constantly confronted with only having three useful party members in the late game.

A strength or weakness? I dunno, but I really enjoyed the dark and confusing story in KOTOR 2, and the characters didn't detract at all ultimately, and even if they did, it didn't bother me as much as it might have for the above reason, as stupid as it sounds.

Bottom line: play it. At the very least, the gameplay is improved, and it's a very interesting game. If it were finished properly, it would be legendary, but it's still worth playing the way it is now. Some people prefer it over the original despite the problems.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To me, the game has a weaker beginning and ending, but everything else is great. I enjoyed the things they added in regards to everything from the story to the gameplay mechanics. Nothing huge, but mostly tiny little things that made things easier most the time. Did seem to run slower sometimes that KotOR1, but mostly was the same.

I'd get it.

knigge on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited May 2007
    No.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just finished KotOR 2, and I'm going through KotOR 1 again, and it's interesting to see the differences. KotOR 2 has character customization, more feats, powers, equipment, etc. and a lot more weapon upgrades. The influence system in 2 is a nice concept, but my one gripe is that it's pretty much impossible for me to get the stories of the more dark aligned characters because I'm taking the light side path. It makes sense, but it still bothers me, :-p. Moreover, in order to get influence, you need to have the characters in your active party to observe your actions. Again, the concept makes perfect sense, but for players like me that like to stick with a core party, it can get a little bothersome. Speaking of characters, I thought they were great overall. However, your active party members don't interact with each other as they did in 1. And I liked the romance plot for 1 better than 2's (for male characters, at least).

As for the overall story, once you're past the first location, the story is awesome right until the final planet. And even then it wasn't a total disappointment. You can tell that if the developers had a little more time, it could have been a satisfying ending.

I do recommend the game. I had a lot of fun with it.

(And Mira is the best character)

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    TanasTanas Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    No.
    This, this here is a dumb post.

Honestly just wait for the Team Gizka stuff to come out, and you can play the game while fixing what at least in my opinion was the only real flaw, the last part of the game.

Tanas on
    Men are not potatoes.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    One gripe I had about the influence system is that there isn't enough content in which to influence everyone as much as I would have liked. And usually I don't feel like replaying rpgs right after I beat them.

knigge on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    knigge wrote: »
    One gripe I had about the influence system is that there isn't enough content in which to influence everyone as much as I would have liked. And usually I don't feel like replaying rpgs right after I beat them.

Weird I had everyone Jedi'd up before I even left the first optional planet.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

Yeah, I had problems keeping the influence low in some cases. For example,
    I like to play a light character, and Visas kept turning more and more light, which made it very hard to use her useful skills - e.g. force lightning - when they had been an ace in the hole for me in the past.
    All in all before I was anywhere close the end my entire party consisted almost entirely of paragons of burning righteousness.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah it looks like Team Gizka is pretty close to done. If you go to their progress reports page they're down to about 44 issues out of 700 something they've tackled. When they finish, I'm reinstalling and replaying it.

captaink on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I like to play a light character, and Visas kept turning more and more light, which made it very hard to use her useful skills - e.g. force lightning - when they had been an ace in the hole for me in the past.
    All in all before I was anywhere close the end my entire party consisted almost entirely of paragons of burning righteousness.

Haha, same here

In any game where you get a choice of being good or bad, I'm always the most heroic hero in all the land and this was no different

All casting Stasis Field and Force Wave to freeze a mob in place then proceeding to destroy them all in a whirl of dual silver lightsabers

All walking over to the guy they were mugging, "No sir, thank you! No I don't need reward money, in fact here's a little something for a rainy day"

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I had two of my companions Jedi'd up..... by the end of the game.

knigge on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »

Haha, same here

In any game where you get a choice of being good or bad, I'm always the most heroic hero in all the land and this was no different

All casting Stasis Field and Force Wave to freeze a mob in place then proceeding to destroy them all in a whirl of dual silver lightsabers

All walking over to the guy they were mugging, "No sir, thank you! No I don't need reward money, in fact here's a little something for a rainy day"

Ha ha, that's pretty much my style of playing as well.

Mercenaries: Kill the Jedi!

Me: Stasis Field! Force Storm!

Mercenaries: *mass death cries*

Honestly, by halfway through the game, I generally have enough Force Points to take the penalty for using dark side powers as light side.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I played a totally different Kotor 2 than a bunch of people here. I love the game. Highly recommended get, especially for the PC + Team Gizka mod.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I rescued the republic at the end of KOTOR 1, damn it. Why is everything in ruin?
    And the locations just don't hold a candle to KOTOR 1, they're not as memorable, no wookie planet, no ocean planet, no tatooine. Just boring settings.
    I'm sold.

If I were reviewing games, every game that didn't include Manaan would get a 10% starting bonus to its rating.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I liked Manaan. It had that trial subquest.

I enjoyed KoTOR 2 a great deal thanks to improved game mechanics and a character roster that was in many ways an improvement over the last game.

I know some people will disagree with me, but I found Zaalbaar to be derivative, Juhani to be underdeveloped, and Mission to be kind of an annoyance. Meanwhile, the only character in the sequel who bothered me was Bao-Dur's anemic voice actor.

The only problems were as has been stated, the last planet and an overall dearth of interesting opponents. You'd think fighting the Sith would be difficult with a dual blaster pistol wielding Jedi Consular, but lightsaber deflection ceases to be an issue when every Sith you encounter just rushes you with something sharp.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Ha ha, that's pretty much my style of playing as well.

Mercenaries: Kill the Jedi!

Me: Stasis Field! Force Storm!

Mercenaries: *mass death cries*

Honestly, by halfway through the game, I generally have enough Force Points to take the penalty for using dark side powers as light side.

I have level 3 shock, and I don't even bother with other force power any more. Overpower total.

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm sold.

If I were reviewing games, every game that didn't include Manaan would get a 10% starting bonus to its rating.

Wait, I feel I'm missing something here. The planets in the first KOTOR were more memorable?

Kashyyyk: Perpetual night, giant trees everywhere.
    Tatooine: Perpetual day, sand, sand, everywhere there's sand.
    Manaan: Water, water everywhere.

Kashyyyk was more interesting than Tatooine, but they were both dull. I've always liked Manaan, but the city layout was too spread out. Tarisian spread out.

But of course, KOTOR 2 had only 'boring settings'. That jungle moon Dxun sure was pretty dull, eh? And Telos? Meh. Nothing doing there. Nar Shaddaa? Ho-hum.

Did I miss the /sarcasm tag?

Oh and as for KOTOR 2 in general? Crappy ending. The influence system felt too restrictive. The ability to modify weapons an armor was welcome, but generally speaking useless.

But still, I recommend it. First of all, it is Star Wars. And second, it's still pretty fun going to all the different places in the SW universe.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I went looking through the lists of feats and such just a minute ago, and I can't find the one that lets you block blaster bolts with normal weapons. I remember really well taking this feat, and going through the game unarmed... watching my jedi-ass-kicker block blasters with the palm of his hand was awesome.

I could be crazy, and the block animation could have been a fluke, but I remember it damn well. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter