Options

Jaan Pehe[chat] Ho

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Justin got banned, well when you burn bright you can only burn so long.

Yeah, what thread did all this go down in?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I thought it seemed more...loving in here.

It's a temp ban though, right?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    I miss living in the same city as my fighting game buddies.

We would literally play any fighting game for hours.

Except DoA4 because another friend and I got too good at the tag team mode.

Yeah, for as much as I really disliked him by the time he moved out, my old roommate was at least kinda cool since he liked fighting games. There'd be nights where we'd go 200 rounds straight in coul calibur 2. My current roommates generally dislike fighting games. Buncha little sissies.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

*Checks the who got banned thread*

Yeah that'd do it

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

The previous chat thread I believe.

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Judge-orders-Wells-Fargo-to-apf-3665036279.html?x=0
    NEW YORK (AP) -- A federal judge in California ordered Wells Fargo & Co. to change what he called "unfair and deceptive business practices" that led customers into paying multiple overdraft fees, and to pay $203 million back to customers.

In a decision handed down late Tuesday, U.S. District Judge William Alsup accused Wells Fargo of "profiteering" by changing its policies to process checks, debit card transactions and bill payments from the highest dollar amount to the lowest, rather than in the order the transactions took place. That helped drain customer bank accounts faster and drive up overdraft fees, a policy Alsup referred to as "gouging and profiteering."

I swear all banks do this, and what kind of gets me is, the people actually did overdraft their accounts, I mean its not like the bank short changed the accounts, they made too many transactions.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Yeah that should be fine

she gets here this afternoon so we should have her mostly unpacked by then

ill ask her and see how saturday works

Don't ask. tell

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

chat last night.

people were talking about the white erase board girl and saying stuff like

'yeah I'd fuck her'
    'yeah I'd do consentual things to her in the bedroom'
    'yeah I'd enjoy a completly nonsexual dinner and movie with her'

and then justin came in with.....

yeah...

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Judge-orders-Wells-Fargo-to-apf-3665036279.html?x=0
    NEW YORK (AP) -- A federal judge in California ordered Wells Fargo & Co. to change what he called "unfair and deceptive business practices" that led customers into paying multiple overdraft fees, and to pay $203 million back to customers.

In a decision handed down late Tuesday, U.S. District Judge William Alsup accused Wells Fargo of "profiteering" by changing its policies to process checks, debit card transactions and bill payments from the highest dollar amount to the lowest, rather than in the order the transactions took place. That helped drain customer bank accounts faster and drive up overdraft fees, a policy Alsup referred to as "gouging and profiteering."

I swear all banks do this, and what kind of gets me is, the people actually did overdraft their accounts, I mean its not like the bank short changed the accounts, they made too many transactions.

I've seen people overdraft their account due to system errors before.

Of course, if you get overdrafted off a 200 dollar purchase, you got other problems.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow, so my friend's cousin who ODd on heroin after getting taken back home from his family, in the middle of the night has decided to run away from home and no one knows where he is.

Great.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    From what I gather VAT is actually less regressive than pure sales tax

Yeah. Sales tax is added to the actual value of a product. VAT is only added to the added value.

So if a carpenter buys wood for 50 dollars, makes stuff and sells it for 200 dollars, with VAT he'd pay taxes for the 150 dollars of added value, not the 200 dollars total.

Meanwhile, the guy that sold the wood pays VAT on those 50 dollars, of course.

Echo on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lots of people have little choice but to just ride the wave of their checks clearing into their account. I've been there My bank screwed me royally by doing that shit a few times. Like taking out a rent check first before depositing a paycheck that was actually put in 2 days before.

sometimes its coincidental but it happens too damn often to be purely so.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm good at some fighters, decent at others. I know Alpha 3 and Rival Schools inside and out.

There are few games that I love as much as Rival Schools: United by Fate.

I do hope you've played the Dreamcast sequel, which is the best 3d fighter ever made.

Err, I'm getting my titles switched. Not enough coffee yet. RS: Project Justice I mean.

The boardgame was amusing.

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Of course, if you get overdrafted off a 200 dollar purchase, you got other problems.

I'm not saying its not kind of scummy, but its like a woman at work was complaining about BOA saying that she made transactions prior to cashing a check to put money back in and those bastards at boa actually ran the charges she made prior to cashing the check thus getting her overdraft fees. I mean they should have known she'd put money in later...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Uh, it's worse then that: they process the highest debits first. Then they process the credits. This means even if the account should have had enough money in it, it doesn't. Then overdraft fee.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Wired seems to think that the Google/Verizon deal will kill off netflix and hulu but I'm not so sure about that. I think I'm hanging on to mah netflix stock anyway.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Yeah. Sales tax is added to the actual value of a product. VAT is only added to the added value.

So if a carpenter buys wood for 50 dollars, makes stuff and sells it for 200 dollars, with VAT he'd pay taxes for the 150 dollars of added value, not the 200 dollars total.

Oh yeah, forgot one thing: you get to balance the VAT you pay against the VAT already paid up the chain. So the carpenter pays the VAT on his 150 dollars of extra value, but gets to deduct the VAT paid by the wood supplier for the 50 dollars of wood.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Uh, it's worse then that: they process the highest debits first. Then they process the credits. This means even if the account should have had enough money in it, it doesn't. Then overdraft fee.

Again, unless you are making purchases close to the 0 line counting on your deposits to make up for that, its a none issue. I understand in modern america this is what most people have taken to doing, but its not like the customer is completely smelling of roses here.

Its like the mortgage thing, "How dare they loan me money and I didn't pay attention to those terms PREDATORY LENDING!"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Wired seems to think that the Google/Verizon deal will kill off netflix and hulu but I'm not so sure about that. I think I'm hanging on to mah netflix stock anyway.

the pop on netflix's stock a few weeks ago when the blockbuster bankruptcy rumors were flying around was crazy

its an incredibly volatile stock, great for daytrading

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That's not the issue, the issue is the banks will reorder the purchases to maximize the overdrafts.

If you paid ...

$5
    $10
    $200

in that chronological order, they'd reorder them to ...

$200
    $10
    $5

... so you'll overdraft 3 times instead of one.

And that's what we call bullshit.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Wow, so my friend's cousin who ODd on heroin after getting taken back home from his family, in the middle of the night has decided to run away from home and no one knows where he is.

Great.
    Oboro???

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh.

One thing that is really annoying about my sansa clip, if the battery dies while I'm listening, and then I plug it in to charge it, the damned thing remembers what it was doing when it died and resumes playing when I unplug it.

So if I hook it up to my laptops usb to charge it, and throw it in the desk at the end of the day when I go home, it is dead again the next morning. And also I have to figure out where the hell I was in my book again.

I keep forgetting about this "feature."

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I ended up paying for a pricey meal at a theme park which was way more than I thought it would be, which set me over by about $20. As a result I got about 4 or 5 overdraft fees for things like buying a couple drinks at the park, and buying breakfast from McDs. They ended up waiving most of them when I complained which was kinda nice I guess.

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited August 2010

the pop on netflix's stock a few weeks ago when the blockbuster bankruptcy rumors were flying around was crazy

I timed my purchases pretty well. Wish I'd gone in for more of course, same with Ford but such is life.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I timed my purchases pretty well. Wish I'd gone in for more of course, same with Ford but such is life.

I have been making a bunch of money on Ford lately. I'm out right now but I'll probably buy within the next few days again.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    inquis i don't know if you saw

but i made my TOTALLY NOT HAZAMA dude in Champions last night

can't get a good screenshot of him though, but I will send you one when I do

I did not see. Lemme know when you get a picture up mister.

do you play this game inq?

i logged back on after like several month idle and realized that i've basically forgotten how to play the game

made a couple of mans expanding my theme of "shitty theme park robots gone renegade"

so in addition to "Mechateer" i now have "Robo Hood" and "Merl-N"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    last daaaaaaaaaaaay

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    last daaaaaaaaaaaay

Do you have actual work? Did you bother to wear pants?

desc on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    inquis i don't know if you saw

but i made my TOTALLY NOT HAZAMA dude in Champions last night

can't get a good screenshot of him though, but I will send you one when I do

I did not see. Lemme know when you get a picture up mister.

do you play this game inq?

i logged back on after like several month idle and realized that i've basically forgotten how to play the game

made a couple of mans expanding my theme of "shitty theme park robots gone renegade"

so in addition to "Mechateer" i now have "Robo Hood" and "Merl-N"

Nah, I've never played any of the super hero based MMOs, actually. Arch is just making a dude based on a different game that I play, actually.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shame. Justin is actually one of my favorite posters.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    desc wrote: »
    last daaaaaaaaaaaay

Do you have actual work? Did you bother to wear pants?

no actual work

just waiting to be taken to lunch by the dir of IT and my buddy

fingers crossed for morton's!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My solution to scumbag banks is to not use one. I use a local bank from my home town in CT. They refund ATM fees and give me 3% interest on my checking account balance, so I just keep a couple thousand in there as a buffer for transactions since it earns decent interest too. That way I never have to balance a checkbook or sit around worriedly hoping things clear in a certain order. I just keep an eye on my online statements and everything is great.

Galahad wrote: »
    Ugh.

One thing that is really annoying about my sansa clip, if the battery dies while I'm listening, and then I plug it in to charge it, the damned thing remembers what it was doing when it died and resumes playing when I unplug it.

So if I hook it up to my laptops usb to charge it, and throw it in the desk at the end of the day when I go home, it is dead again the next morning. And also I have to figure out where the hell I was in my book again.

I keep forgetting about this "feature."

It seems like an amazing feature except for the part where it doesn't pause also.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010

has wired ever been right about anything?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

He is, if anything, exactly the same here as he is in real life.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Oh yeah, forgot one thing: you get to balance the VAT you pay against the VAT already paid up the chain. So the carpenter pays the VAT on his 150 dollars of extra value, but gets to deduct the VAT paid by the wood supplier for the 50 dollars of wood.

I've heard that explanation before and I still don't see how that's not regressive as sales tax. Its still a tax on consumption which will hit the poor harder than the rich, and the shifting of tax burden de jure to those who "add value" seems like it would simply add to their costs and lead to an increase in cost of the final good, which would itself increase the amount of "value added" and thus de facto shift the burden onto consumers

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

he's only gone for 10 days

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

has wired ever been right about anything?

If they wrote an article about them sucking, well it would probably destroy the world.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I still have some stock in the company I used to work for but their stock price has been shit. All I need is for a favorable natural gas price outlook to come out and then I'm back in the money.

Then again I was granted this stock, not purchased it so it's not like I have skin in the game and selling it on a low-side price isn't the end of the world. Maximizing my take would be nice though.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How long is a temp ban anyway?

ed
    Nerd anticipated my question. Hmmm age joke....

Nerd anticipated my question because he's so young he was born in the future

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.