As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    That Randy only has 28 fights, and that he lost 10 of them, always seems so odd to me. Same for Belfort. Actually the same for most of the older fighters. I guess since I get to watch more than one event a month it creates the sensation that these guys fight way more often than they do.

That's what kills me about Jeremy Horn. Dude's 86 -19-5 as a pro and I don't care if he's been fighting fourth graders, that's pretty damn impressive and a shit-ton of fights.

21 fights in 1999. o_O

Travis Fulton

195-46-11

that is his record. He's lost to everyone that is good, but still. Guy is a workhorse

Yeah that's better. And hey, he beat Wes Sims :lol:

Peen on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so MMA is legal in ontario next year and the UFC is planning an event in Toront

pretty excited guys, this is sorta a big deal

Pony on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »

Let's see if they pull another Abu Dhabi.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

There's a report floating around saying the UFC has reserved the Rogers Centre for a date in late March. I assume they're looking to put GSP on that card if he comes out of the Koscheck fight, win or lose, relatively healthy.

It's probably a good bet that when the UFC does debut in Toronto, the UFC Fan Expo will be in town as well.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    B:L wrote: »

Let's see if they pull another Abu Dhabi.

An outdoors arena in Ontario seems like a bad idea.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance, I'm bringing up a p4p debate.

So, Sherdog isn't known for it's quality articles, but their p4p top 10 doesn't include Fedor at all.

I'm wondering if anyone here also feels he doesn't deserve to be considered one of the top 10 MMA fighters in the world?

(I may also be cranky because Aldo is only #3, plus they include Frankie Edgar who is awesome but they're probably jumping the gun on that one)

Well Fedor's entire claim to being in the P4P was his air of invincibility. The competition he had faced was subpar but because he hadn't lost he was excused for it. He lost to Werdum in the first round and while he's a real good fighter, I don't think he'd do well against Lesnar, Carwin, or JDS. Fedor doesn't hold any belts except the farcical WAMMA (both Fedor and Aoki retain their belts despite losing their last fights). Other than "he's Fedor" its tough to justify him being a top p4p fighter

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I think I could probably get a good win:lose ratio against fourth graders.

Heck, speed up the time a bit. Could probably fight a good....17 of them at once.

Yeah. 17 seems like a good number.

edit: I got practice too.

Everyones all

"Ohh, uncle cango is so good with the kids, all playing with them and wrestling with them"

fools, thats training
    Haha me too, they call me the human jungle gym when all my little cousins feel like playing with me.

You could probably do well
    but 17 might be a bit much

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Pat Barry's kicks are a fearsome wonder to behold. That low kick he destructed Dan Evensen's leg with was as brutal as an Afghani Black Metal convention. Also, he is super hilarious and pretty!

Now defend a sub, gosh darnit!
    If Pat Barry didn't break his own bones during that fight with Cro Cop, I think it could have been winnable.
    Could have been? I'd say it was 99% likely that he would have won a completely one-sided fight if he hadn't broken his shit.
    I'm giving Cro Cop the benefit of the doubt here! I mean, maybe he could have gotten a TD anyway and gotten a RNC. We'll never know. :(

(I love Pat Barry)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Travis Fulton, you say?

Indeed.

EDIT: The ending is sort of brutal. Also don't ask me what happened to the guy. Everyone has a different story.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man i hope hes still not taking part in matches that should never be made ever
    mma has grown and moved on past that bullshit and i hope he has too

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Travis Fulton, you say?

Indeed.

EDIT: The ending is sort of brutal. Also don't ask me what happened to the guy. Everyone has a different story.

Whenever I see that video I always think of the Seanbaby Ragdoll KO article
    Jeremy Bullock looked like a host to several tape worms and entered his first MMA fight with a background in Tae Kwon Do. To put this into perspective, that’s like entering a bullfight with a background in semen drinking. This next fact might spoil the ending, but his opponent, Travis Fulton, came into this fight with 47 wins on his record.

Jeremy started the fight with a running everything assault. I think it was intended to be a flying kick, but in his excitement, he sort of turned it into a flailing interpretive dance over Travis Fulton’s ducking head. It was around here that Travis realized it was Christmas.

In wrestling, a pansy who lets you manhandle him is called a fish. Fighting a fish offers you unique opportunities, and Travis took full advantage. From side control, he just stood up, lifted Jeremy into the air after him and–as if he’d been dreaming about this moment forever–gave him a real-life Undertaker chokeslam.

Jeremy’s body seemed to know what was coming even before impact, and the rodent part of his brain engaged its natural defenses. He went limp on the way up, hoping the predator would mistake him for dead. Post-impact, it was a different story. While wide awake, each of Jeremy Bullock’s limbs tried to escape from his body in different directions, probably to find four different lawyers to sue the fight promoter that allowed this circus. Ike Turner has been in fairer fights than this.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Forget Pat Barry. Cro Cop's going to become a contender. He's going to fight Mir.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mir vs Cro Cop is a nice match up on paper. I hope Cro Cop knocks Mir the fuck out, but I doubt it.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BayesianBayesian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Travis Fulton, you say?

Indeed.

I'm not sure how accurate mmauniverse is, but apparently he came back in 2007 and outdid himself by submitting to an armbar in 27 seconds. :S

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS13322

Bayesian on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nog is out of the rematch with Mir :(
    Rodrigo Nogueira is out of his UFC 119 fight with Frank Mir after suffering an injury in training, a Brazilian source tells Fighters Only.

The nature of the injury was not disclosed but the source says it will require surgery. Nogueira is said to be “incredibly frustrated” by it and expects to be out until the New Year.

The fight with Mir was to headline UFC 119 and was a rematch of their UFC 92 meeting, which saw Nogueira stopped for the first time in his professional career.

Fighters Only has also been told the UFC has already secured a replacement and it will be “a really big name opponent”, although the source we spoke to did not provide a name.

Seems like Crocop will take his place. <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't handle the pace of MMA these days.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    awww yisss roy might get his nog wish :P

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, have you guys heard about the steroids scandal that Carwin is caught up in? It makes sense if you compare his physique from early in his career (huge and ripped) to his physique now (kind of soft looking).

There has always been speculation on whether Carwin was on the juice before.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Soft looking?

UFC 96:
    shane-carwin.jpg

UFC 116:
    shane-carwin.JPG

Peen on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, people have very varying definitions of what "soft" means

I've heard people say Lesnar is fat as well and I just kind of go "what"

Anyway, regarding the flimsy allegations against Carwin - I'm a cynic so I believe most of the heavyweights have used steroids at some point, so I don't really care

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The thing is too, the guy they arrested was only dealing from 2004 until 2006:

"Applied Pharmacy Services shipped 762,388 dosages of steroids to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until Aug. 30, 2006, according to court records reported by AI.com."

So there's no proof that Carwin's been using them recently. Of course there's no proof that he hasn't either.

Peen on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Carwin's left bicep is freaking me out... it's so... short.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Man, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Now it won't leave my head. ARGH.

Anyway, relating to the new title of the thread: I'm so ready for some WEC action this Wednesday. I mean, have you seen this fucking card?!

Bantamweight Championship bout: Dominick Cruz (c) vs. Joseph Benavidez
    Lightweight bout: Shane Roller vs. Anthony Pettis
    Featherweight bout: Cub Swanson vs. Chad Mendes
    Bantamweight bout: Scott Jorgensen vs. Brad Pickett
    Lightweight bout: Bart Palaszewski vs. Zach Micklewright

And the next one, WEC 51, looks even better. Have you seen THIS FUCKING CARD??!!

Featherweight Championship bout: Jose Aldo (c) vs. Manvel Gamburyan
    Lightweight bout: Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone
    Bantamweight bout: Charlie Valencia vs. Miguel Torres
    Featherweight bout: George Roop vs. Chan Sung Jung
    Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

Seriously. WEC is always bringing it.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And the best part, for me anyway, is that they're free as free. Dunno if that PPV was an experiment they're not repeating or it was a special case because it was a huge fight but I'm glad they're going back to free cards (if you have VS) for now.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And the best part, for me anyway, is that they're free as free. Dunno if that PPV was an experiment they're not repeating or it was a special case because it was a huge fight but I'm glad they're going back to free cards (if you have VS) for now.

It's the best part for me, too. I love the anticipation of waiting until Saturday for a UFC or Strikeforce card, but having something for free in the middle of the week is always a nice little pick me up.

I'm just happy because I've got WEC Wednesday, a local event this Saturday (about 6 guys from my gym are fighting on the card. They're undefeated in 2010 events so far, so it should be pretty ballin') and then UFC next Saturday. August has been great for MMA events so far.

Also, for the OP: I've got some stuff that can be updated in the champions section if you wish to change it.

Sarah Kaufman def. Roxanne Modaferi on 7/23/2010, next defense TBA

King Mo’s next defense is 8/21/2010 against Rafael Cavalcante

Christiane “Cyborg” Santos’ def. Jan Finny on 6/26/2010, next defense TBA

Brock Lesnar’s title defense against Cain is likely to be at UFC 121

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks chilly, I'd forgotten those women's champs were even in there :lol:

Peen on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd much rather see Cro Cop vs Mir than see Mir knock Big Nog out again. :^:
    :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Both WEC events have fantastic main event match ups. That Varner/Cerrone match should be a real barn burner. Cerrone in particular needs a win to get himself back on track, and they're both trying to get in position for a title shot next year.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks chilly, I'd forgotten those women's champs were even in there :lol:

No problem. I still consider the champ section my baby, anyway. :P

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, yeah, that's pretty much what an "interim" champ is - the #1 contender.

I just don't see the point of calling it interim champ instead of #1 contender. Or having a whole other belt manufactured.

I'm guessing it's just so they can list "______ championship match!" on the flyer. Or maybe they like 5 rounders.
    PantsB wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance, I'm bringing up a p4p debate.

So, Sherdog isn't known for it's quality articles, but their p4p top 10 doesn't include Fedor at all.

I'm wondering if anyone here also feels he doesn't deserve to be considered one of the top 10 MMA fighters in the world?

(I may also be cranky because Aldo is only #3, plus they include Frankie Edgar who is awesome but they're probably jumping the gun on that one)

Well Fedor's entire claim to being in the P4P was his air of invincibility. The competition he had faced was subpar but because he hadn't lost he was excused for it. He lost to Werdum in the first round and while he's a real good fighter, I don't think he'd do well against Lesnar, Carwin, or JDS. Fedor doesn't hold any belts except the farcical WAMMA (both Fedor and Aoki retain their belts despite losing their last fights). Other than "he's Fedor" its tough to justify him being a top p4p fighter

It would be silly to strip Aoki's Dream belt because he lost in Strikeforce. Those are different promotions with different rules, clothes, playing surface, and location.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WAMMA is independent of any of the promotions.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ...as well as any relevancy.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    lol arent they like one of those empty offices with a phone on the ground kind of operations

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They literally are.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »

Wait, Aoki has a WAMMA belt? I thought it was talking about his Dream LW belt, which he retained despite losing to Melendez in SF. That seems perfectly legit to me, as the 2 organizations are pretty different in terms of rules.

I didn't even know Aoki had a WAMMA belt. Who else has one, is it just him and Fedor?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Wait, Aoki has a WAMMA belt? I thought it was talking about his Dream LW belt, which he retained despite losing to Melendez in SF. That seems perfectly legit to me, as the 2 organizations are pretty different in terms of rules.

I didn't even know Aoki had a WAMMA belt. Who else has one, is it just him and Fedor?

Yeah just those two. No one else could semi-legitimately claim they were the best p4p in their division outside the UFC. Aoki has lost several times in the meantime and Fedor lost to Werdum but each time the belt has not been up for grabs somehow

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The thing is too, the guy they arrested was only dealing from 2004 until 2006:

"Applied Pharmacy Services shipped 762,388 dosages of steroids to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until Aug. 30, 2006, according to court records reported by AI.com."

So there's no proof that Carwin's been using them recently. Of course there's no proof that he hasn't either.

Even if he was on them from 2004-06, it's not like the UFC or any of the SACs will do anything. I don't think anyone even pretends Brock wasn't roiding in his WWF days.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »

Yeah just those two. No one else could semi-legitimately claim they were the best p4p in their division outside the UFC. Aoki has lost several times in the meantime and Fedor lost to Werdum but each time the belt has not been up for grabs somehow

WAMMA are just pretending they are still going to try and con some investors or something. Aoki didn't even get a WAMMA belt as Dream wanted nothing to do with it. Only M-1 and Affliction were stupid enough to think WAMMA was going to matter without the UFCs involvement.

eEK! on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Paul Heyman is on this weeks MMA hour with Ariel Helwani.

This is has to be good.

815165 on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Man, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Now it won't leave my head. ARGH.

Anyway, relating to the new title of the thread: I'm so ready for some WEC action this Wednesday. I mean, have you seen this fucking card?!

Bantamweight Championship bout: Dominick Cruz (c) vs. Joseph Benavidez
    Lightweight bout: Shane Roller vs. Anthony Pettis
    Featherweight bout: Cub Swanson vs. Chad Mendes
    Bantamweight bout: Scott Jorgensen vs. Brad Pickett
    Lightweight bout: Bart Palaszewski vs. Zach Micklewright

And the next one, WEC 51, looks even better. Have you seen THIS FUCKING CARD??!!

Featherweight Championship bout: Jose Aldo (c) vs. Manvel Gamburyan
    Lightweight bout: Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone
    Bantamweight bout: Charlie Valencia vs. Miguel Torres
    Featherweight bout: George Roop vs. Chan Sung Jung
    Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

That bold and underlined part? So psyched for that.

DemonStacey on