Options

Go West, Young Man

HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled ManRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
Today I woke up on a mountain.

This is the view from my family room window.
Photoon2010-08-16at0749.jpg

My family has taken its yearly trip up to Montana. We go in the summer, not the winter, when it's far less crowded, and it's much less hot than in Texas. I'll probably get to do some fly fishing this week, and we might go to Yellowstone. We might also drive to Bozeman and see the awesome dinosaurs at the Museum of the Rockies. That's where Jack Horner works!

I guess this is the Western thread. Or the vacation thread. Or the thread for vacations in the West.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
Harrier on

• Options
    EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Something about that not being a mountain and then pulling mount everest out of my pants. Nice view though.

Energeno on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    album-lonesome-crowded-west.jpg

Swill on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Say "Hi!" to Dave Letterman for me?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Montana is pretty awesome. I've got family up there, and they have special little boxes built all over their ranch, pretty much anywhere a trail or a road intersects a creek. These boxes have a steel mesh at the bottom which allows the snowmelt to flow through. Bottles of beer live in these boxes.

It is for this reason that I have always thought of Montana as a magical place, like the chocolate garden in Willy Wonka.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't taken a trip in a while. I wanted to go to LA last weekend, but sadly I had to work.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Montana is pretty awesome. I've got family up there, and they have special little boxes built all over their ranch, pretty much anywhere a trail or a road intersects a creek. These boxes have a steel mesh at the bottom which allows the snowmelt to flow through. Bottles of beer live in these boxes.

It is for this reason that I have always thought of Montana as a magical place, like the chocolate garden in Willy Wonka.

Haven't experienced that kind of Montana yet. Guess i need to get out of Missoula more than i know.

Because Missoula is pretty meh.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »

Haven't experienced that kind of Montana yet. Guess i need to get out of Missoula more than i know.

I've never been to Missoula. The only major Montana city I've ever really been to is Bozeman.

Have you ever been to Billings or Helena? I've always wondered what they're like.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Harrier wrote: »
    Apolloh wrote: »

I've never been to Missoula. The only major Montana city I've ever really been to is Bozeman.

Have you ever been to Billings or Helena? I've always wondered what they're like.

Helena kinda blows for being a capital city. Otherwise its alright, i mean its as big and metropolitan as youre going to get for Montana. Billings i haven't been to, but Bozeman i have for the Cat/Griz game last year.

It was pretty fun then and the area is gorgeous but i hear some things. Then again i go to the U so...

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I fell in love with Utah this summer.
    Nothing's prettier than running along the Wasatch mountains in the evening, wildflowers and ground squirrels everywhere, nobody on the road but me.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Solid BonesSolid Bones Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Montana has a lot of wind farms, I hear.

Solid Bones on
    Tea and Scrabble
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's a Taco John's in Bozeman.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »
    There's a Taco John's in Bozeman.
    I know! I think we passed it!

There are also multiple Mackenzie River Pizza Companies, which are delicious. We don't have them in Texas.

Harrier on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm planning on moving west as soon as i can manage it

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As a kid for like 4 summers in a row my family and some family friends rented all the cabins at this ranch outside of Stanley, Idaho. There were only like 3 cabins, yeah, but hey.

If you are unfamiliar with Stanley Idaho here is a picture to help you understand what it is: A tiny ass mountain town slung under the sawtooth mountains, which themselves look like something out of Lord of the Fucking Rings.

SawtoothsStanley21.JPG

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't wait to get out west for many obvious and not-so-obvious reasons

Usagi on
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PST 4 lyfe

Herkimer on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have like a Taco John's radar.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Herkimer wrote: »
    PST 4 lyfe

MST IS WHERE IT'S AT MOTHERFUCKER

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be driving 6.5 hours to the West this weekend, but will remain in Texas. The desert and foothills of the Rockies will be extremely peaceful and relaxing and I will enjoy it immensely.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PST 4 lyfe

No, compared to PST, MST is where it was.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The West side certainly is the Best side

Sorry Biggie RIP

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I spent the whole weekend on a sailboat cruising around the san juan islands

caught a few crab, but they were barely too small to keep

fishing was okay, but we didn't have a ton of time. Snagged a dogfish (tiny shark, fuck yeah) and let it go, and got a couple bites from some rockfish but they got away

at night, we shined a powerful flashlight into the water from the sailboat and saw a shit ton of these little tiny red fish everywhere, and this two foot long weird snake thing came up to the surface. Its sides were all ciliated like a millipede, and it swam around pooping this trail everywhere. Then my wife nad I got in the dinghy and rowed to shore where we had a campsite and the water was bioluminescent every time we paddled.

Pretty fucking sweet.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just got back from Waikiki on Sunday. Love me some Hawaii vacations

4874888998_fe1f40475b.jpg

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PST 4 lyfe

No, compared to PST, MST is where it was.

damn you.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This week I leave the West coast, where I've lived my entire life, to go live on the squalid, inferior East coast.

I am full of regret

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just got back from a brothers wedding in Portland. Pretty far west I heard.

I knew that place had some drifters, but damn.

I felt like I was walking around in one of the cities in fallout 3, there were so many displaced individuals.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every summer for the past four years I have volunteered as a camp counselor for a summer camp designed for kids going into the 5th, 6th and 7th grade.

n1527616608_30113486_2657.jpg

Every year I get wet.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    zonugal you are probably the creepiest dude on these forums

i applaud you for it

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zonugal gets wet around fifth grade kids.

You heard it here first

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to Virginia for a vacation. I didn't get to oppress as many minorities as I had hoped, but it was still fun anyway.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pretty typically a magician comes to camp to perform and I am usually chosen to be incorporated into their act.

n10704447_39340064_9438.jpg

I guess I just have the right head for it.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Was anyone else sorely disappointed that this wasn't an Oregon Trail thread or was that just me

Ledneh on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    if flava flav was a nerd.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have been camping a few times
    waking up in the fresh air with no sounds of civilization is pretty darn sublime

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    I have been camping a few times
    waking up in the fresh air with no sounds of civilization is pretty darn sublime

But than again waking up with three rocks in your back is pretty darn sore.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My extended family has or had some property on the side of Diamond Lake. It's near Newport which is north of Spokane.
    I remember a lot of summers going swimming when I was little but we don't go there anymore. I actually used to live near here at one point but I was too little to remember.

This is just a google image, I could find a better one maybe but they probably have family members in it so I don't wanna post it.

IojvC.jpg

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Waiting til next summer so I can go to Alaska again. Where the mosquitoes are the size of birds, guns are everywhere, and everyone is an alcoholic.

Good ol' great white north.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »

i applaud you for it

Someone must carry the torch, no matter how hot the flames may bare upon them.

I will be this someone.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    I'm moving out west in two weeks and I'm kinda nervous about it

it's just now hit me that I'm going to be 2000 miles away from my home and friends and family and everything I've known my entire life and it's a little scary

exciting too though
    this is me six months from now

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Snowbeat wrote: »

i applaud you for it

Someone must carry the torch, no matter how hot the flames may bare upon them.

I will be this someone.

You will shine like the brightest star on the darkest night. You will be the one who will lead us across the stars on your glorious chariot of neon green flames.

Something something something pedophilia.

MereHappenstance on