Options

Stuff you learned from past PAX's that would serve as good advice for future PAXgoers

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Before you leave wherever you live for PAX, go to your local FedEx/UPS/Post Office/Whatever and buy a tube big enough to keep posters in. There will not be any in Seattle, as everyone will realize they should buy a poster tube as soon as they hit the expo hall.

You'll thank me later, and you're welcome.

And if y'all forget that let me know I ended up with 10 small and 10 large USPS poster mailing tubes and I only need 1, so I'll bring the others and they'll be in my room at the Hilton and I want to [strike]unload[/strike] [strike]dump[/strike] find them a good home.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've pondered this for a few days and will offer this:

If you come with a group of friends/carpool, you don't feel obligated to keep the same schedule as your friends. So if you really want to go to a panel and you're the only one in the group, by all means go! My first year I felt pressured to keep the group together. Last year I had one friend that was very gung-ho on the expo hall raffles (he's won great swag both years too) but if a raffle time conflicted with something I was interested in somewhere else, I didn't let it bother me to give him my tickets and and go do my own thing. I only know a small handful of forumers/enforcers through other people, but it seemed like I was always running into at least one person I knew where ever I went.

That said, always have a back up meet-up plan in case cell phones die/fail/get no reception. Something like, lets regroup at 5pm by the queue room/entrance/escalator/Tullys if we can't get in contact before then.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Consider bringing food with you to the convention rather than taking a big block of time out of your schedule to find a restaurant. Lines are a great place to whip out a bagel with cream cheese and nomnomnom.
    I bought an insulated backpack for the sole purpose of keeping sandwiches and drinks with me during the convention. That way I don't have to spend time trecking off to go find food or extra money on a sitdown restaurant.

aragorn18 on
  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't go to pax without your gushers/fruit rollups.... best.. advice... everrrrrrr!

Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Caffeinated Beef Jerky FTW

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't go to pax without your gushers/fruit rollups.... best.. advice... everrrrrrr!

Is it like those commercials where about a gallon of colorful fluids burst out of the gusher? Cause that, in any case, is bad :(. Beware the gush?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If you come with a group of friends/carpool, you don't feel obligated to keep the same schedule as your friends. So if you really want to go to a panel and you're the only one in the group, by all means go! My first year I felt pressured to keep the group together. Last year I had one friend that was very gung-ho on the expo hall raffles (he's won great swag both years too) but if a raffle time conflicted with something I was interested in somewhere else, I didn't let it bother me to give him my tickets and and go do my own thing. I only know a small handful of forumers/enforcers through other people, but it seemed like I was always running into at least one person I knew where ever I went.

That said, always have a back up meet-up plan in case cell phones die/fail/get no reception. Something like, lets regroup at 5pm by the queue room/entrance/escalator/Tullys if we can't get in contact before then.

Yes, definitely this.

It's also really cool to meet up for dinner before the friday night concert or whatever and discuss all the awesome unique stuff you saw.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    reyesdreyesd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bring a power strip (or two!) for the hotel. Phone, camera, multiple handhelds x number of friends sharing the room and you'll quickly be out of outlets.

My wife and I did a post-PAX cruise for our first PAX and picked up that tip from a travel website. Ended being very useful for PAX itself. Now we hardly travel anywhere without one.

reyesd on
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I read all this thread, and all of the other threads about what to do at pax.

I think it boils down to 2 simple rules.

1)Wheatons Law

2)HAVE FUN!!!!

Solelron on
  • Options
    TwizzleTwizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    savagehart wrote: »
    Caffeinated Beef Jerky FTW

LOL I had to google 'Caffeinated Beef Jerky' LOL it does exist and looks kinda nummy :mrgreen:

Twizzle on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reyesd wrote: »
    Bring a power strip (or two!) for the hotel. Phone, camera, multiple handhelds x number of friends sharing the room and you'll quickly be out of outlets.

Probably a little late for most people, but I got one of these:
    http://www.callpod.com/products/chargepod

Saves me tons of room, since I don't need the bulk of a power strip, plus all the bulky chargers for everything else. I can get dongles later on for any device that might come along :)

What's gonna be charging in my room: Two iPhones, an iPad, 1-2 Kindles and a DSi

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you use a power strip in a hotel make sure to plug it into a wall outlet not one of those outlets on a lamp sitting on the desktop/bedside. They don't always provide enough power. Had an interesting experience almost shorting out a lamp when I plugged the hotel room iron into it. Oops! :oops:

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    SurlyDuffSurlyDuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're interested in anything, no matter how small and insignificant it appears to be (artist signing, panel, game not many people will buy, etc), plan to be there early. Then plan an extra 30 minutes on top of that. Because I was shocked at how long the lines were for even the smallest thing at the first PAX I went to in '08. But it was also awesome at the same time, because of the enthusiasm and excitement everyone has for anything at PAX. Its infectious.

SurlyDuff on
  • Options
    langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SurlyDuff wrote: »
    If you're interested in anything, no matter how small and insignificant it appears to be (artist signing, panel, game not many people will buy, etc), plan to be there early. Then plan an extra 30 minutes on top of that. Because I was shocked at how long the lines were for even the smallest thing at the first PAX I went to in '08. But it was also awesome at the same time, because of the enthusiasm and excitement everyone has for anything at PAX. Its infectious.

This is absolute truth. If you think something's going to be awesome, odds are many other people do too. Arrive early, talk to people in line, play games in line. :)

langri on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    akjak wrote: »

Saves me tons of room, since I don't need the bulk of a power strip, plus all the bulky chargers for everything else. I can get dongles later on for any device that might come along :)

What's gonna be charging in my room: Two iPhones, an iPad, 1-2 Kindles and a DSi

And all for you? Why not throw in another iPad, a DSiXL, and an iPhone for me :D

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Is it like those commercials where about a gallon of colorful fluids burst out of the gusher? Cause that, in any case, is bad :(. Beware the gush?

I dress like a bursted rainbow gusher.. does that count? Might as well make the insides match the outsides.. It's not like i'm snorting carwash fluid or anything!

Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    akjak wrote: »

These are cool but can end up pretty spendy buying all the tips you need. I looked into buying one for all my stuff and ended up saying forget it.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This will be the first year we are bringing a couple of people who are first time PAXers and I have already planned the speech I will be giving them on Thursday evening when we confirm meetup plans. "Okay, so *we* will be going to the Keynote, which means getting up early to wait in line. *You* do not have to do this if it means you will just be whining about waiting in line (I'm not being mean, the girl we are going with isn't very good at hiding it when she's bored or wants to leave). We are more than happy to meet you in the trade center at [prearranged time] and we certainly don't need to be glued to the hip all day long. In fact, I insist that you explore on your own because I can't give you a personalized PAX experience, only you can do that by experiencing it."

Masquerade78 on
  • Options
    alienfirstalienfirst Washington StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Viewing this on my phone, so I haven't read all the replies, but I have to stress one thing (mentioned multiple times in one form or another, but it bears repeating).

You are in Seattle. You can throw a rock and hit three different places with amazing food. Take the time to get AWAY from the convention center to eat. Pike Place Market is down the street. Hit them up in the morning for fresh fruit and pastries. Seattle has a LOT of good food. Don't miss out because you don't want to leave the convention center. You'll be much happier.

Also, skip Starbucks. If you want good Seattle coffee, hit up Seattle Coffee Works and Victrola. SCW is on the way if you walk to Pike Place, Victrola is a 5 minute walk up the street.

alienfirst on
  • Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    alienfirst wrote: »
    Viewing this on my phone, so I haven't read all the replies, but I have to stress one thing (mentioned multiple times in one form or another, but it bears repeating).

You are in Seattle. You can throw a rock and hit three different places with amazing food. Take the time to get AWAY from the convention center to eat. Pike Place Market is down the street. Hit them up in the morning for fresh fruit and pastries. Seattle has a LOT of good food. Don't miss out because you don't want to leave the convention center. You'll be much happier.

Also, skip Starbucks. If you want good Seattle coffee, hit up Seattle Coffee Works and Victrola. SCW is on the way if you walk to Pike Place, Victrola is a 5 minute walk up the street.
    Try some seafood while you're here, too. It doesn't get much fresher. My favorite is the fish & chips stall attached to a fishmonger in the Sanitary Market building down at Pike Place. The stall is open to the street, so it's hard to miss. Also Piroshky Piroshky makes delicious everything. (Pike Place market is a series of buildings along a cobble stone street, not *just* the building with the sign on. Check out the rest of the market facing it, too!)

Saxicide on
  • Options
    ViatorRexViatorRex Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    As a brand spanking new PACgoer (hell brand new convention goer), I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for all the advice so far.

ViatorRex on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's really hard, all you have to do is stumble and you'll find yourself in a Starbucks. In downtown Seattle, you can always see at least one Starbucks from another one, often two.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    journies_endjournies_end Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you use a power strip in a hotel make sure to plug it into a wall outlet not one of those outlets on a lamp sitting on the desktop/bedside. They don't always provide enough power. Had an interesting experience almost shorting out a lamp when I plugged the hotel room iron into it. Oops! :oops:

This... makes so much sense, last year I stayed with 3 friends in one hotel room and it wasn't an issue really, however this year I am rooming 3 fellow PAX goers (we only ment in the Hotel-Room Share thread) so to avoid any awkward encounters this sounds like a stellar ideal. Thanks1

journies_end on
    Totally pumped for PAX Prime 2010
    Tweet me @journies_end
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's really hard, all you have to do is stumble and you'll find yourself in a Starbucks. In downtown Seattle, you can always see at least one Starbucks from another one, often two.

Both places I mentioned are a pretty comparable stumbling distance. If you're a coffee person you're doing yourself a favor by walking the little bit to those two places. Starbucks has a TOUCH better pastry selection, but there's a French bakery in Pike Place with fresh stuff every morning, so there's really no reason to go unless you are super strapped for time.

alienfirst on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Both places I mentioned are a pretty comparable stumbling distance. If you're a coffee person you're doing yourself a favor by walking the little bit to those two places. Starbucks has a TOUCH better pastry selection, but there's a French bakery in Pike Place with fresh stuff every morning, so there's really no reason to go unless you are super strapped for time.
    If there's not too much of a line at either, Tully's and the little place at the bottom of the convention center aren't bad, either. Certainly better than Starbucks.

Saxicide on
  • Options
    AverageToasterAverageToaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Don't Be Shy!
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not the most outgoing and social gamer (mainly because after college I had to move 800 miles away, from my hometown, my college buddies, anyone and everyone I ever knew, and got a job where I was the youngest guy there, honestly I have no "buddies" beyond my online contacts). Being in a place like PAX where EVERYONE is a gamer feels so... incredible. You can talk to ANYone about ANY subject of the gamer-verse and they totally know where you're coming from. Everyone is so friendly, and cool, and chill, and just want to have fun, and as long as you share that attitude your newest best bud could be standing in line behind you at the panel queue or game demo. Open up, talk to people, be social, maybe even make a new friend or two, or three or twenty!

Ehh I tend to go with atleast one friend, and every time i think with the exception of the enforces that joined in the people who just busted into our conversations where just awkward and made me wish i wasn't next to them in line. But times like playing ODST multiplayer with your teammates next to you i always seemed to feel they were awesome people, so maybe its more about how you approach other people to talk to. I tend to stay on the gamer side of the spectrum of pax goers then the tabletop side.

AverageToaster on
  • Options
    Hugsy SmoochesHugsy Smooches Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    It'd probably be a good idea to bring a tiny container of Purell or any hand sanitizer. It's going to be packed in PAX no matter how you cut it. Not to mention, thousands of hands are going to touching those controllers. I'm not trying to say everyone there is unsanitary, but it'd be easy to catch something there. Last year, I came down with a nasty cold right after I went to PAX.

Hugsy Smooches on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Saxicide wrote: »
    If there's not too much of a line at either, Tully's and the little place at the bottom of the convention center aren't bad, either. Certainly better than Starbucks.
    Silly goose, now you're bringing anti-Starbucks prejudices into this, rather than "visit a true local Seattle coffeehouse instead of an international franchise". Tully's is a huge corporate franchise too, and isn't even owned by a Seattle-based company anymore.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Silly goose, now you're bringing anti-Starbucks prejudices into this, rather than "visit a true local Seattle coffeehouse instead of an international franchise". Tully's is a huge corporate franchise too, and isn't even owned by a Seattle-based company anymore.

Alright, you caught me; I veered off topic. Sorry >.<; I really like Bauhaus, but there a little ways up the hill. If you're up late (past midnight) on Friday and Saturday,and want food that's not in a bar, check out the Biscuit Bitches in Cafe Lieto over on 1st and Stewart (on 1st, away from the convention center). Homemade biscuits and gravy, with as much variety as you can think of. Scrambled eggs? Bacon? Ham? Grits? Vegetarian? Many other things I don't remember but which sounded delicious? Check. Coffee, tea, or even just a glass of milk available to wash it down. Definitely worth checking out.

Damn. Now I want biscuits and gravy.

Saxicide on
  • Options
    p0rtugalviip0rtugalvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1.) Swag, swag, swag, swag, swag.
    I got like very few swag in 08 but in 09, my friends and I went swag hunting. Now like 1/2 of my wardrobe is PAX 09 shirts. I also got like 6 lanyards and a slinky. Swag is beast.

2.) Lines in the Expo hall aren't as bad as they seem. (except Valve)
    Looking at the lines they look like forever, but are actually not bad at all. The ODST firefight booth last year looked pretty long but really wasn't that bad. I actually went through twice. The longest line I hit was the Nintendo booth but the Samus shirt was worth it. Valve's line last year for L4D2 was crazy ridiculous, I don't know if I could do that one.

3.) Bring Omnoms.
    I brought like 10 packaged fruit pies last year and they held pretty good. Whatever is delicious to you is fair game, just don't smush it or bury it via swag.

4.) Rooster Teeth and Mega 64 are hilarious.
    I literally could chill at their booth and watch them the entire length of the expo hall time. They are very entertaining.

5.) The indie and other booths are cool too!
    Some of the more interesting booths I saw were the less known booths. There was this one booth, like veragripe or something where they had a glove that you could control everything by touching fingers to each other. Ska Studios is going to be there this year, and I'm excited because I was a big fan of the indie game "I Maed a gam3 with z0mbi3s in it!1!!" and I am curious as to what he is showing off.

6.) Expo hall is closed.. oh no!!!
    What to do now the expo hall is closed? There are still panels running so see if there is anything you find interesting, go to it. If not, hit up the console and/or PC freeplays. I don't have TF2 on my computer but had a blast playing it at PAX even though i totally sucked. If none of those float your boat talk to an enforcer, there's other stuff. in 09 when the concerts were running, in one of the empty panel rooms they had Star Wars playing, it was awesome.

7.)Speed run, Zerg rush.
    When you're waiting in line for the expo hall to open, be sure to hit the place you want the most first. On Friday I surveyed the area and 15 mins later the lines were extended. I didn't wanna line up then. However Saturday morning, I booked it over to the Beatles: Rock Band line to test it (and get a free shirt, see 1.) and waited maybe 5 songs. When we were done, the line was more than 2x the size as when we joined in.

8.)Have fun! PAX is great!
    Have fun! PAX is great!

p0rtugalvii on
    PSN: p0rtugal_VII
    XBL: DJBlackMage
    Youtube: p0rtugalvii
    Twitter: @p0rtugalvii
  • Options
    PaulChapmanPaulChapman Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Haven't seen it mentioned much, so I'll bring it up again:

Don't Forget Tabletop Gaming

TTHQ has games that you can borrow (Room 213 of the WSCTC. Up the escalators and to the right.), and after the expo hall closes, there will be dozens if not hundreds of games going on until the wee hours of the night (or morning). Everything from big intense games like Battlestar Galactica and Arkham Horror, goofy games like We Didn't Playtest This At All (I *think* there's a copy in the library) and Munchkin, light games like Castle Panic and Zombie Dice, and much more. I'm fairly certain you'll be able to find a game of D&D and other RPGs going on at various times as well.

Don't be afraid to ask questions -- the Enforcers running TT, the demo guys in the publisher's areas (Bucephaleus, SJGames, WotC), the guy checking out a game ahead of you. They're all likely to be pretty knowledgeable and will have an opinion to share.

Oh, and TT is pretty much entirely self-organizing. I believe there's a twitter feed set up for TT'ers looking for a group . . . the tweet from TTHQ is "Tabletop will have an LFG Board in HQ to help attendees find other players. Also, a projector with all tweets containing the #ttlfg hashtag." (BTW, "LFG" = "Looking For Group.")

Here's the important Twitter links:

http://twitter.com/PAX_TT
    http://twitter.com/pax_indie_rpgs

PaulChapman on
  • Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The Daily Dozen. Mini. Doughnuts. MINIDOUGHNUTS! Omnomnomnomnom.

I've never been to PAX (UNTIL THIS FRIDAY OMG), but I've spent some time in Seattle visiting friends. I have dreams about The Daily Dozen in Pike Place Market. They make 'em fresh (as long as you don't go for the chocolate covered ones).

Plus they throw them up REEEEALY HIGH and then catch them (usually) in the bag. Much more fun than the fishflingers. Because--- DOUGHNUTS!

(p.s. i like doughnuts)

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I don't know you, but I could kiss you for that response. :)

And they are that bad. Well, okay, maybe not. My boyfriend is a bit of a coffee snob, and he tossed the espresso he got from the place in the bottom floor of the convention center. Couldn't finish it. I had a mocha so chocolate gets to mask bad espresso fairly well.

I like getting out and walking to places during the day. I don't do very well being in crowds ALL DAY so breaks outside are very, very nice.

AND TO GET BACK ON TOPIC...

Google search the banks within walking distance of the convention center. Granted, PAX isn't as heavy on merch as other conventions, but it's much nicer to go a little away to pay a smaller ATM fee, or even find the bank you use and not pay any fee at all. I THINK the convention center is better about keeping the ATMs stocked these days, but there's always the chance they might not have any money at all.

alienfirst on
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You will spend a lot of time on your feet and lots of time in lines. Pace yourself and find a way to rest now and then. There's a jam room for musicians and I hear it's a fun place to relax for a bit and maybe catch some cool music. You can also borrow board games in a certain room (great selection!) and it's a great way to get off your feet, meet some new people and learn a new game.

Decide which panels and events are personally of interest to you and block out those times. Ask yourself, "Will I regret NOT going?" If the answer is Yes, then go. Don't let someone else tell you it's a waste of time just because it's not of interest to them.

Bring a handheld and set up your Twitter app on your phone to take advantage of the official feeds and to follow the PAX hashtags. Important info gets passed around sometimes. But even though you have these devices to help you kill time...

Talk to people. Most of us are there because we enjoy similar stuff. Get to know your fellow geeks. Make some jokes. Interact with them. You might make lifelong friends. And who knows? You might even get invited to an awesome off-site event, like I was once.

Above all, in the immortal words of Wil Wheaton: Don't be a dick.

Edited to add: And don't forget to bring some smaller bills for the Cookie Brigade!

Aurora on
  • Options
    MortonStromgalMortonStromgal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On the Panels... Look up the people who are giving the panel. One of the best ones I went to was a game theory one and I only went because Luke Crane was going to be there. Now I always look up who these people are talking about the topic. Don't go to one about social networking and mmorpgs hosted by a media company but if that media company is hosting video games and the media GO!

MortonStromgal on
  • Options
    liquidchaosliquidchaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BUY A CARDBOARD TUBE AT YOUR LOCAL UPS STORE.

I can't stress this enough for poster swag protection. I am SICK of seeing people walk around, collecting posters by hand, only to see it scratched and dented in a crowded atmosphere.

liquidchaos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually, there's a shipping store right there in the entrance to the convention center...cardboard tube samurais can get their weapons there.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    liquidchaosliquidchaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, there's a shipping store right there in the entrance to the convention center...cardboard tube samurais can get their weapons there.

My sources say that store will be sold out of tubes on Day1.

liquidchaos on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I can't stress this enough for poster swag protection. I am SICK of seeing people walk around, collecting posters by hand, only to see it scratched and dented in a crowded atmosphere.

Will a 24" tube be big enough?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I still have several large and small USPS poster mailer tubes that I need to take (and not bring home) so if you need one you can have it for FREE. Just let me know.

savagehart on
This discussion has been closed.