As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple bluetooth keyboard and Windows 7 (solved!)

psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
Hey guys,

Having a very large amount of difficulty connecting my keyboard to my computer. I have a 1st-gen apple bluetooth keyboard (not the aluminum one) and an asus bluetooth dongle and 64-bit windows 7. When I open up bluetooth and hit "add device", I have about a 5 second window to turn on my keyboard to get it to show up in the list. Once it's there, 99% of the time when I try to add it, it hangs forever on "connecting to device" and won't let me try. On the very rare occasion where it actually seems to connect to the device, when I say "give me a passkey to enter", it fails immediately. Additionally, right-clicking and going to "properties"-> "services" causes the services tab to hang forever without giving me the option to install drivers. Please, help me!

E: I managed to get it to actually display a code for me once, but I entered it and nothing happened, then it timed out and lost the connection.

E: Found a post buried on another site telling me that while it is "connecting to device", I need to type something on my keyboard and hit enter (like 1234 return)- the compy interprets that as the passkey. It then asks me to re-enter it and I do so on a properly connected keyboard (otherwise it doesn't actually input it). Then it works! Only took me an hour to do (grrrrrr)

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
steam_sig.png
psyck0 on

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another advice. Try to get bootcamp for windows installer and extract it. (If there isn't a seperate Win driver already included for your keyboard). This will allow you to extract and then install the apple keyboard driver which adds the proper Apple Keyboard layouts.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not actually runnin bootcamp, had 0 troubles with it for that. Would the drivers work w/o bootcamp?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Define work. The official installer likely wouldn't run, but you ought to be able to extract the necessary drivers and install them manually (or rather, run their individual installer).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    Define work. The official installer likely wouldn't run, but you ought to be able to extract the necessary drivers and install them manually (or rather, run their individual installer).

Yeah, thats what I meant :)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's also a slightly buggy app called http://code.google.com/p/uawks/

enables some of the function keys (ie, Eject button works, volume controls and whatnot)

However, it can be temperamental

thankfully the creator has (slowly) begun to develop it again since it's 2008 release (he finally got Win7)

Abracadaniel on