As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

French grammar

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so I'm supposed to identify where each person comes from. For example, "Les amies Fumiko et Keiko sont de Tokyo." The response should be, in French, "They are Japanese." So I entered "Elles sont japonaise" and it came back incorrect. For male counterparts, I used "Ils sont ___", which is also incorrect. However, singular forms seem to be correct, as in "Il est ____".

Can anyone help me? I'm not getting why this is incorrect.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Include an 's' after 'japonaise' since it's plural.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    god, is that really my problem? I wasn't sure if that was the issue. thanks!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know why the "ils" example didn't work since you can't add an s to the masculine adjective. I suppose I do not know enough french to understand the rules in play here, sorry for misleading!

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I don't know why the "ils" example didn't work since you can't add an s to the masculine adjective. I suppose I do not know enough french to understand the rules in play here, sorry for misleading!

in those cases, none of the adjectives ended in an 's'. Somehow I didn't realize that nationality is an adjective. :x Thanks again for the help! Lock whenever.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

in those cases, none of the adjectives ended in an 's'. Somehow I didn't realize that nationality is an adjective. :x Thanks again for the help! Lock whenever.

I'm a French major in University right now and I don't know why "Ils sont japonais" would be wrong. You didn't accidentally capitalize "japonais" did you?

Esh on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »

I'm a French major in University right now and I don't know why "Ils sont japonais" would be wrong. You didn't accidentally capitalize "japonais" did you?

Or maybe he wrote Ils sont japonaise

Usagi on