As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thanks alegis

anyway to change file associations? I have an app that can play flac files which is great but I'm curious if I can get the phone to realize I do in fact have a way to play them rather than telling me no when I try. not a huge deal but I thought it was worth looking into.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I was told by the verizon guy that aftermarket ones were horrible and such and that it voids the warrants.

Also I am an idiot and bought my phone from verizon without shopping around, I paid $300 and I see it for $80 on amazon...

$300??? With a new contract? :shock: I hope that was with some sort of insurance or something.

And don't ever listen to what "verizon guys" say. They generally only know what Verizon tells them, which of course isn't much (other than "give Verizon more money").

Ya I paid $300 with a $100 mail in rebate, so it will cost me $200. Could I have got the phone off amazon? It says it required a new contract which I don't have, I already have a plan with verizon.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The screen is being wonky. Swype will frequently just beep at me and not let me enter text until I go into Input, change to Touch Input, and switch back.

Swype does this to me on my Hero. I blame Swype.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jeez, it looks like I may call HTC soon about my Evo. I absolutely loved the thing for these past 3 months - but SOMETHING is not right and it's really really getting annoying.

Battery life - without any major changes to useage (I decided to start using gesture unlock?) is suddenly absolutely abysmal. And "Cell Standby" is using the majority of the battery. I usually am at 87% right now. I'm at 53%. No idea why. It was on AIRPLANE MODE until about an hour ago.

The screen is being wonky. Swype will frequently just beep at me and not let me enter text until I go into Input, change to Touch Input, and switch back.

And the light leakage Im getting (a spotlight from under the home button, shining up onto the screen, washing out everything in that little corner) has gone from a minor inconvience to something I can barely tolerate.

I've been going through (I dont use a task manager) and deleting things - my SD card was pretty full with pictures - could that cause some of these issues? I cleared a lot of that out, reset my PRL, and have been kind of just trying to keep things neat, but it's been a sudden drop off in the normally awesome quality I get from this phone.

Has anyone dealt with HTC before? What are they likely to say? I have insurance, but I'd rather not deal with Sprint, because I have a feeling they're simply going to charge me the $100 and send a refurb. The phone is only 3 months old, I really don't want to use my insurance just yet - and this is really bizarre.

EDIT: Minor side note - I love the display up top when I use gesture unlock. The clock and date and battery life. I love the look. Where is that!? It must exist on my phone - I want that to stay after I unlock!

If you haven't done anything like broken the screen from dropping, dunked the phone in water, or outright lost it there is no way they will make you deal with insurance. Just take it in to your nearest Sprint repair center and explain what's going on. If it's really being that bad and they can't fix it themselves there is a good chance they'll swap you into a brand new phone on the spot, and at no cost.

Again, there is no way they're gonna make you pay a deductible and deal with Asurion unless you've either drowned, dropped, smashed, or lost your phone.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jeez, it looks like I may call HTC soon about my Evo. I absolutely loved the thing for these past 3 months - but SOMETHING is not right and it's really really getting annoying.

Battery life - without any major changes to useage (I decided to start using gesture unlock?) is suddenly absolutely abysmal. And "Cell Standby" is using the majority of the battery. I usually am at 87% right now. I'm at 53%. No idea why. It was on AIRPLANE MODE until about an hour ago.

And the light leakage Im getting (a spotlight from under the home button, shining up onto the screen, washing out everything in that little corner) has gone from a minor inconvience to something I can barely tolerate.

I've been going through (I dont use a task manager) and deleting things - my SD card was pretty full with pictures - could that cause some of these issues? I cleared a lot of that out, reset my PRL, and have been kind of just trying to keep things neat, but it's been a sudden drop off in the normally awesome quality I get from this phone.

Has anyone dealt with HTC before? What are they likely to say? I have insurance, but I'd rather not deal with Sprint, because I have a feeling they're simply going to charge me the $100 and send a refurb. The phone is only 3 months old, I really don't want to use my insurance just yet - and this is really bizarre.

EDIT: Minor side note - I love the display up top when I use gesture unlock. The clock and date and battery life. I love the look. Where is that!? It must exist on my phone - I want that to stay after I unlock!

Battery: Install Watchdog Lite to see what programs are running, which should give you a clue as to what is draining your battery so quickly (you can monitor real time CPU usage). That sort of battery drain sounds extreme, so I suppose it's possible that the hardware is at fault.

Swype: Seems to hate Froyo for some reason for a lot of people. Make sure you completely uninstall and remove the program and the Swype installer and go back to the beta website and redownload and try again. This is mostly a Swype problem.

Light leakage: It's a crapshoot whether you'll get another phone that has the same problem or not, but hopefully you can swap out for a good one.

Gesture lock screen clock: Doubt you can separate that clock from the app, but have a look at Beautiful Widgets. You can skin to look essentially like that clock, and choose how big it is (it's like a $2 app).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was told by the verizon guy that aftermarket ones were horrible and such and that it voids the warrants.

Also I am an idiot and bought my phone from verizon without shopping around, I paid $300 and I see it for $80 on amazon...

$300??? With a new contract? :shock: I hope that was with some sort of insurance or something.

And don't ever listen to what "verizon guys" say. They generally only know what Verizon tells them, which of course isn't much (other than "give Verizon more money").

Ya I paid $300 with a $100 mail in rebate, so it will cost me $200. Could I have got the phone off amazon? It says it required a new contract which I don't have, I already have a plan with verizon.

Off Verizons website the 100 dollar rebate is instant

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where do I get a car charger for my incredible? Amazon seems to be full of garbage ones and I really don't want to pay the verizon in store price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083301&p_id=6152&seq=1&format=2

My wife and I bought two of these (1.70 apiece!), one for the Incredible, one for the Droid X. No issues at all.

Also got a nice long 10 foot USB to micro-USB cable for a couple bucks to use with the wall outlet thingy (the X comes with like an 18 inch cord, it's laughable)

Allforce on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

When I got my Captivate last week (where it was even cheaper than this week it seems), there were options to mark that I was doing an upgrade on my phone after I added it to the cart. The price wasn't as good as the one offered for new contracts, but it was still way better than anywhere else ($80).

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fuck, is there any way to return the phone to verizon? I am pretty pissed now, I just assumed you had to get the phone from verizon I didnt even shop around, last time I looked at phones they were the same price everywhere.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Im getting a Droid X soon. Is there a beginner site somewhere for all this stuff that's been in this thread?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fuck, is there any way to return the phone to verizon? I am pretty pissed now, I just assumed you had to get the phone from verizon I didnt even shop around, last time I looked at phones they were the same price everywhere.

Always shop around ;-)

Verizon has a 30-day return policy,[strike] but that's just for the phone IIRC. Since you likely signed a new contract to get the phone for that price, you'll probably have to cancel your entire contract to return the phone and be able to buy a subsidized new one. And that likely means you'll have to get a new phone number as well.

You could ask them, plead with them to let you return to your old plan (or further discount your current phone :lol:), but they generally won't budge once they've got you locked in (outside of that full cancellation).[/strike]

Just plead with them, they may let you back on your old month-to-month contract.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am pretty mad at myself, I am very good at shopping around I always use the internet for everything...not sure why I didn't even consider it for the phone.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm in Portugal. Right. My Eris obviously won't work (stupid Verizon) here. So now I require some Android Goodness (TM).

I've found some unlocked G1's for a reasonable (re: still expensive as hell, $200!) price.

I was wondering if they'll just be totally outdated/outclassed. Will it even run Froyo if I root it? Is there a better option?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm in Portugal. Right. My Eris obviously won't work (stupid Verizon) here. So now I require some Android Goodness (TM).

I've found some unlocked G1's for a reasonable (re: still expensive as hell, $200!) price.

I was wondering if they'll just be totally outdated/outclassed. Will it even run Froyo if I root it? Is there a better option?
    Locked phones still exist? Just get your existing phone unlocked and get a Portuguese SIM. Buying a brand new phone is madness.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Verizon's nonglobal devices only have CDMA radios and Portugal only uses GSM networks. He wouldn't be able to use his phone at all there no matter what he did to it.

JAEF on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Battery: Install Watchdog Lite to see what programs are running, which should give you a clue as to what is draining your battery so quickly (you can monitor real time CPU usage). That sort of battery drain sounds extreme, so I suppose it's possible that the hardware is at fault.

Swype: Seems to hate Froyo for some reason for a lot of people. Make sure you completely uninstall and remove the program and the Swype installer and go back to the beta website and redownload and try again. This is mostly a Swype problem.

Light leakage: It's a crapshoot whether you'll get another phone that has the same problem or not, but hopefully you can swap out for a good one.

Gesture lock screen clock: Doubt you can separate that clock from the app, but have a look at Beautiful Widgets. You can skin to look essentially like that clock, and choose how big it is (it's like a $2 app).

Thanks a ton for all this help.

In regards to the battery - somehow, 4G got flipped on. I have no idea how. So I learned that 4G, when there's no 4G signal, will absolutely destroy your battery. I'm HOPING at least thats what it was.

And I'm trying to just deal with the light leakage, but it's annoying. I'll try your other suggestions first and hope I just ignore the leakage, but we'll see.

Thanks again - this post was very very helpful.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You could wait a bit for the Droid Pro. It's a Droid 2 with dual CDMA/GSM capabilities.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »

You could wait a bit for the Droid Pro. It's a Droid 2 with dual CDMA/GSM capabilities.

What's the price look like on that though? I mean, to use it in Portugal I'd have to buy it without a plan, which means probably north of $700.

Really I'd love a Nexus One. Finding one is rather tough though. I've found that Vodafone has them (UK) but I'm not sure I can just purchase it outright without a contract.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Locked phones still exist? Just get your existing phone unlocked and get a Portuguese SIM. Buying a brand new phone is madness.

Most every phone comes locked to a carrier I believe.

And yes, mine was on Verizon, hence no sim card, no GSM, etc.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    re: MotoDroid and Exchange Calendar

Email works fine, and appointments I set on my desktop show up instantly on the phone's calendar. Account is set to sync contacts and calendar, and is set to push. But if I set something on the phone as an appointment, it won't show on my computer's calendar. This is a new problem, showing up in the last . . . month maybe.

Thoughts?

To answer my own question - I was adding appointments to my Google calendar. I had to delete and reenter the appointments, but there is a section when entering appointments to set the calendar to which the appointment belongs.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    warder808 wrote: »
    Im getting a Droid X soon. Is there a beginner site somewhere for all this stuff that's been in this thread?

the 1st page has a list of some basic apps its old but most of them are still relevant

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

the 1st page has a list of some basic apps its old but most of them are still relevant

Here's my AppBrain profile for my Droid X, I (and others) can vouge for a lot of these apps. Maybe not your cup of tea on some of the RSS shit but its there nonetheless:

http://www.appbrain.com/user/Allforce/apps-on-the-phone

Edit: Anyone got any good Contact widgets maybe with some customization going on? Like to be able to just quickly call or text someone frequently? I've got a regular widget that came with the phone but I don't like the look of it on my minimalist display

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

Here's my AppBrain profile for my Droid X, I (and others) can vouge for a lot of these apps. Maybe not your cup of tea on some of the RSS shit but its there nonetheless:

http://www.appbrain.com/user/Allforce/apps-on-the-phone

Edit: Anyone got any good Contact widgets maybe with some customization going on? Like to be able to just quickly call or text someone frequently? I've got a regular widget that came with the phone but I don't like the look of it on my minimalist display

Do you have LauncherPro Plus? That has a contacts widget that should do what you're looking for.

My AppBrain profile is in the OP if you want to compare. I'm also using an X.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ahh no I don't have LP Plus, I don't use PayPal so I can't give the guy his due. Figures he'd have just what I was looking for.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    PayPal's quite simple to setup, and you can use a debit or credit card for payments. I finally signed up for it a couple days ago just to buy LP+. The PayPal app isn't too shabby, either.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't stop playing Gem Miner. I've tried. I tore through my battery playing it last night. If there was a game like this for the PC or console I may never need another game again.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't see Gem Miner on my phone, boo.

SNESoid is missing, too, both the paid and the free versions. Even though they used to be there.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I can't stop playing Gem Miner. I've tried. I tore through my battery playing it last night. If there was a game like this for the PC or console I may never need another game again.

It's called Miner: Dig Deep on XBLA. There is a demo but it costs like ... 3 dollars or some such. There is also a free computer browser game that I don't remember the name of, but is probably in my bookmarks at home. Sorry for ruining your life now <3

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pretty sure it's down to 80 points now, so about a dollar.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Htc desire update out, android os patch to fix some little things.
    People running root with custom roms/radio mention their wifi stopped working so take care .

Works Alright here .as you can tell from the messed up capitalisation I ain't typing this on my desktop.

Alegis on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, this is kind of an odd question, but I figured that this would be the best place to ask.
    Is there a way to have a rooted android phone make a noise after I give it a voice command using the google widget?
    I was watching Flight of the Navigator earlier this week, and I thought that it would be cool if my phone said "compliance" every time I gave it a command.
    /nerd

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's looking like the G2 is going to have 4 gigs of ROM

hopefully this is the beginning of a trend...

Evander on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone know what resolution image I should be looking for when I hunt down more wallpapers for my Captivate?

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, so there's this tip thing I just read about using Google Voice to control anything SMS or Email related web service. Like updating Google Calendar, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I'll just copy and paste the Gizmodo article and spoil it for those interested.
    The newest update to Google Voice Search on Android is pretty sweet, but reader Bob shows us that it can control a whole lot more than just Android's built-in apps—with SMS and email, you can do just about anything.

" Voice Actions was the catalyst for me to finally got me to root my G1 and put on CyanogenMod 6. When it was first announced, I thought it was weird that the "note to self" command sent an email to yourself. I'd've preferred that it be a calendar entry. Well, it's not that much extra work to get it to do that. Just set up your Google Calendar account to be able to work with their text messaging shortcode, GVENT (48368). Once you've done that, add GVENT to your contacts as something creative like Calendar. Now all you need to do is activate Voice Actions and say something along the lines of "SMS Calendar: Oil change on Saturday at 9." I choose to have it send texts from my Google Voice account, since it'll send a reply in confirmation; make sure you set communications up with GVENT with the phone number you'll be texting it from."

This tip, while seemingly small, reveals that Google Voice Actions can actually do a lot more than what is on the surface. We've featured many of these before—most cloud services nowadays offer SMS or email-based ways of managing them—but the compatible services are almost too numerous to list. Here are some of our favorite examples, though (most require you to enable something on the service's end, so click the links to do so before trying this):

* Add events to your Google Calendar by adding GVENT to your contacts as an SMS number. (Note that there's no direct link to the mobile setup; you need to go to Google Calendar and click on Settings > Calendar Settings > Mobile Setup).
    * Update Twitter by adding 40404 to your contacts as an SMS number.
    * Update Facebook by adding your personalized Facebook upload email address to your contacts.
    * Add new tasks to Remember the Milk by using its Twitter integration. After adding Twitter to your contacts as 40404, you can send an SMS to it starting with d rtm (example: d rtm Pick up Milk on Monday at 5pm). You may have to type the rtm part manually, but you can do the rest by voice.
    * Create a new note in Evernote by using its Twitter integration. Text message Twitter with @myEN or d myEN at the beginning of the message (example: @myEN Grocery list: Milk Eggs Chicken).
    * Schedule shows on your TiVo, add things to your Netflix Queue, and do tons of other stuff by adding kwiry to your contacts and beginning your SMS with the proper service name (e.g., tivo 30 rock to schedule a recording for 30 Rock.

Really, the possibilities are endless, as so many services contain email or SMS support in one way or another nowadays. These are just a few of our favorites, so if you have your own that we didn't mention, share it in the comments.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Verizon's nonglobal devices only have CDMA radios and Portugal only uses GSM networks. He wouldn't be able to use his phone at all there no matter what he did to it.

Wow. That is pretty shitty. Makes his course of action make much more sense though.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Ok, this is kind of an odd question, but I figured that this would be the best place to ask.
    Is there a way to have a rooted android phone make a noise after I give it a voice command using the google widget?
    I was watching Flight of the Navigator earlier this week, and I thought that it would be cool if my phone said "compliance" every time I gave it a command.
    /nerd

I was unable to find the specific file installed on the phone (that would be easily changeable), but I found it zipped in the apk (show_results.wav).

However even if you were to extract the apk, replace that file, rezip and rename it back to an apk, I think you still need to re-sign the application to get it to install properly. And even then I'm not sure it will work since Voice search is a core system app (you can't uninstall it, only uninstall updates to it).

In short, it MIGHT be possible, but it sure as hell ain't easy.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »

Wow. That is pretty shitty. Makes his course of action make much more sense though.

Yes, while sometimes I do odd things this was not one of those times! :P

I did put a bid in for a sweet Nexus One on Ebay though, so hopefully that pans out. If not, I dunno. Droid 2? Maybe?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »

It's called Miner: Dig Deep on XBLA. There is a demo but it costs like ... 3 dollars or some such. There is also a free computer browser game that I don't remember the name of, but is probably in my bookmarks at home. Sorry for ruining your life now <3

Well, I doubt I'll buy a 360 for one game. But if I ever get one, yeah, my life will be over. I may have to hunt down the free web browser based version though.

How hard are the AT&T android phones to root? I'm tired of seeing all these cool features the phones are capable of being crippled by AT&T's lock down on them.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I dunno I found Launcher pro ran pretty sluggish on my Droid X

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I dunno I found Launcher pro ran pretty sluggish on my Droid X

Really? It feels snappier than Motoblur on mine. ADW is another fairly popular launcher, but I vastly prefer LP. I think you can do this in LP, but ADW hides the notification bar by default.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.