my [chat] is a good one, but here is how it goes

16465666870

Posts

  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Whelp I dug myself into a hole in the ground and then my pickaxe broke

    First, you should always have at least three pickaxes in your inventory and second you should dig diagonally so you have stairs to get back up.

    If you keep digging out what you're standing on eventually you'll fall into a giant cavern and die or fall into a river of lava and die.

    Sarksus on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.

    Wait, what?

    You're worried that the kind of girls you don't like might... not like you in return?

    How is this a problem?

    it's sort of like how if you never soloed 'challenging' 'monsters' in 'videogames' because you 'couldn't find the right one' but deep down you're afraid that you 'couldn't' 'fight' a 'green'

    Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Whelp I dug myself into a hole in the ground and then my pickaxe broke

    Dig up

    What's that, Lassie? Timmy fell down a well?

    emnmnme on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    like here is my impression of the CF thread:

    Poster: I have a question about mordenkrads.
    Aegeri: [three-paragraph comparison of the relative merits of various two-handed superior weapons and the Brutal property]
    DevoutlyApathetic: I disagree!
    Skycaptain: In my campaign mordenkrads and claw hammers were exterminated in the great purge of the Thirteenth Era.
    tastydonuts: meh

    that is pretty much how it goes

    occasionally ravensmuse or I will then mention how things used to be in 2nd edition

    I keep my second edition jokes here mostly because I'm afraid I'll remember something wrong.

    What's funny is that everyone remembers stuff about second edition wrong. Like, that's its defining characteristic. There will be these huge furballs on rpg.net as people fight over, like, the rules for bonus XP for classes with a 16 in their prime requisite and it always ends with someone going "wait, I never saw that chapter."

    I've forgotten most of those rules.

    2E was really a mess of a system but I am still really fond of the art and the writing style. A lot of people get nostalgic for Gygax's writing in the first edition but I find him bombastic and he does that thing autodidacts do where he'll use a twenty-dollar word in an awkward way in an attempt to sound portentous (calling a city a "habitation", for instance). Whereas Zeb Cook's writing in 2E was really clear and friendly and always got me fired up to play, even if I never remembered half the rules.

    It had a nice feel. Broken mechanically but I don't remember caring. And it lead to some fucked up shit.

    D&D nerd story within.
    So I have seen what a deck of many things can do to a campaign. A friend and I had a bit of an OOC rivalry going on when the DM gave a Deck of Many things to a party of level sixes. And this rivalry caused us to engage in a bit of card drawing. Along with other party members we all drew cards from the deck. Except that my friend and I didn't stop at one or two. We drew seven each before he finally blinked. Cards were flipped up right, and he learned something important that night. Do not challenge the party bard to something that will make a good story. By the time all of the cards were flipped upwards, he had seven black cards, and I had seven red cars. I had gained 10 levels, had some wishes and a bunch of phat loot. He went through three characters in under ten minutes and the one that did survive was broke, magic itemless and level drained.
    That's awesome. I never had the nerve to draw.

    After two or three adventures where the cosmic balance was threatened by having a 2nd Ed Bard be the most powerful character in the party, he went to retire by buying an inn.
    At his going away party, the chaotic stupid mage got drunk and attempted to burn down the inn. Which lead to the bard slowly beating him to death with a staff, pulling every blow so it was one damage and the mage slowly realizing that the Bard could counter everyone of his spells with ease.

    Thomamelas on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.
    This may be the worst thing I've read all day.

    I think it is good to be aware that pickiness can actually stem from a terrible fear of rejection

    but yeah there are probably some assumptions in this post that you should reflect on winky

    Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was never allowed to use the deck of many things because everyone in the party knew that I would draw the entire deck out of sheer curiosity

    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Good luck with everything, posh. I suppose getting sacked might be inevitable after what happened, and I can only imagine the worries you must be having for your family right now, but I feel like you'll be better off and happier in the long run than if you'd let them get away with that baloney. When I was a kid my granddad got bullied into accepting a buyout of his job and his pension and it made him and everyone around him miserable for a long time.

    D:

    what happened?

    He was a bigshot at Hobart, who make industrial-sized kitchen machines (if you've ever worked in a restaurant, they probably had some Hobart products in there) and some bullshit 80s corporate M&A outfit did a leveraged buyout and got rid of most of management. So he was forced into early retirement at, like, 55 with way lousier terms than the 30-year pension he was about to qualify for, and he spent the next year or two just basically hanging around the house being angry and depressed and generally on a short fuse, and this is while my dad and I were living with him and my grandma after my parents' divorce.

    :(
    Same question is directed at Niall also, btw

    I think he may have headed off to work...
    Basically his bosses came to him and told him there was a "mistake" in the new contract he signed a few months ago and that he was being paid like 15% too much, and they wanted him to agree to a "correction." Stuff ensued, I gather.

    Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.
    This may be the worst thing I've read all day.

    I think it is good to be aware that pickiness can actually stem from a terrible fear of rejection
    incidentally no woman is good enough for me

    Elendil on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I found this reddish-grey rock

    what is that

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ah. Gravel. Awesome.

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I was never allowed to use the deck of many things because everyone in the party knew that I would draw the entire deck out of sheer curiosity

    Elldren, are you a kender? Just answer truthfully and ignore the table leg in my hands.

    Thomamelas on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.
    This may be the worst thing I've read all day.

    I think it is good to be aware that pickiness can actually stem from a terrible fear of rejection
    incidentally no woman is good enough for me

    you don't always have to buy into your mother's opinion on your girlfriends, you know

    Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Because then I won't feel superior to them!

    But I get your point.

    I am very ruined by this notion of a guy who could get any girl if he wanted, and my proximity to being such an individual.

    Mostly because I met him and he fucked my girlfriend.

    1. Stop being a smug dick.
    2. You really don't have to ever worry about being a guy who could get any girl if he wanted.

    Mostly because you will never be such a guy.

    Inquisitor on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    also no one seems to have noticed my nails being jet black today

    Show up tomorrow with another part of you painted black as well. Eventually you'll go full black without anyone noticing.

    But she'll never go back : (

    Do you need me to post a picture of someone in a latex catsuit?

    Need? No.

    Want? ...

    I need to move my hands over ten cubic yards of latex a day or I get aches and pains. It's a valid medical condition and the government should totally give me the latex I need.

    It's like the opposite of a latex allergy.

    Okay, now that the landlord's gone (he was over fixing the alarms) I can find one for you...

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Whelp I dug myself into a hole in the ground and then my pickaxe broke

    First, you should always have at least three pickaxes in your inventory and second you should dig diagonally so you have stairs to get back up.

    If you keep digging out what you're standing on eventually you'll fall into a giant cavern and die or fall into a river of lava and die.

    This was my goal, yes, to see where I would end up, which is why I was digging straight down.

    I was half-expecting to pop out of the ground into LEGO China

    Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.
    This may be the worst thing I've read all day.

    I think it is good to be aware that pickiness can actually stem from a terrible fear of rejection
    incidentally no woman is good enough for me

    you don't always have to buy into your mother's opinion on your girlfriends, you know

    If I listened to my mothers opinions of those I dated then I would have been celibate till I was 30.

    Thomamelas on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.
    This may be the worst thing I've read all day.

    I think it is good to be aware that pickiness can actually stem from a terrible fear of rejection
    incidentally no woman is good enough for me

    you don't always have to buy into your mother's opinion on your girlfriends, you know
    my mother is desperate for me to get a girlfriend

    last summer I took to evening walks for a while and I'm convinced she believed I had a secret girlfriend

    Elendil on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I was never allowed to use the deck of many things because everyone in the party knew that I would draw the entire deck out of sheer curiosity

    Elldren, are you a kender? Just answer truthfully and ignore the table leg in my hands.

    I have never played a kender ever

    This was a player problem, not a character problem

    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys should know that when I talk about this shit it's like a girl worrying about being fat.

    Winky on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Here we go, even respectably sfw

    6sSF

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    I am going to doot doot doot on keyboards for a bit

    And contemplate how much more totally sweet keyboarders are than lame bassists

    Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    You guys should know that when I talk about this shit it's like a girl worrying about being fat.

    Really fucking annoying? :P

    Inquisitor on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I was never allowed to use the deck of many things because everyone in the party knew that I would draw the entire deck out of sheer curiosity

    Elldren, are you a kender? Just answer truthfully and ignore the table leg in my hands.

    I have never played a kender ever

    This was a player problem, not a character problem

    Just making sure.

    Thomamelas on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kender are awesome. They're just hard as hell to for a player to properly play.

    DeShadowC on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.
    This may be the worst thing I've read all day.

    Yeah, you don't verify your attractiveness as a person, both generally and in the eyes of specific personality types, by seducing unwary ladies. Rather, the sorts of women you attract will reveal themselves to you of their own volition by, you know, expressing an interest.

    I myself know that I'm attractive to overweight broads with nothing to lose and sheltered, somewhat intelligent, and often-insecure ladies who find me unassuming and therefore approachable.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate respectably sfw.

    Sarksus on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heeheee, so dorky Arivia, so very dorky.

    Inquisitor on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    You guys should know that when I talk about this shit it's like a girl worrying about being fat.

    Luckily Mori knows how to reassure Me about that now.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go try to sleep with some girl who is mildly attractive and not very smart. See, because I have this notion that -'m picky, which I kind of am, but I'd be kind of douchenozzle if I was all about being picky but I couldn't land one of the girls I shun if I wanted to.
    This may be the worst thing I've read all day.

    I think it is good to be aware that pickiness can actually stem from a terrible fear of rejection
    incidentally no woman is good enough for me

    you don't always have to buy into your mother's opinion on your girlfriends, you know
    my mother is desperate for me to get a girlfriend

    last summer I took to evening walks for a while and I'm convinced she believed I had a secret girlfriend

    In high school my mom would sit me down every year or so for a serious talk about how it's okay to be gay

    Having to explain to her that I'm just a nerd was excruciating

    Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I hate respectably sfw.

    DeShadowC on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    You guys should know that when I talk about this shit it's like a girl worrying about being fat.

    so you're saying you don't really think you couldn't get any girl but you want us to assure you that you can

    WHAT A DICK

    Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    res try digging a spiral staircase when digging

    it's what I do

    it's safe an convenient

    need torches to keep it safe tho

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Kender are awesome. They're just hard as hell to for a player to properly play.

    You are a bad person. Like Pol Pot or King Leopold bad.

    Thomamelas on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    You guys should know that when I talk about this shit it's like a girl worrying about being fat.

    *emits validation rays in Winky's direction*

    Beams.jpg

    emnmnme on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd be amazed if Winky could successfully court his left hand.

    Inquisitor on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    Your mom is what I do because she's safe and convenient

    Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's kind of interesting, Riv. Not entirely sure what's going on there.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Heeheee, so dorky Arivia, so very dorky.

    Oh?

    I do remember coming across that magazine looking for articles on snow leopards, sneaking it out of the pile in the garage and jilling furiously thinking about wearing that.

    The article was about the spirit of the new millenium; that's a millenium I can get behind.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Classy, Inqi.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Heeheee, so dorky Arivia, so very dorky.

    Oh?

    It's the awkward pose plus the super serious face plus the dorky outfit. It just makes me go "awww look at the nerd!"

    Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.