As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Upgrading] RAMming speed!

It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
Hello everyone.

I want to buy at least another 2GB of RAM for my computer but hardware isn't really my thing, so I'll need some help picking what to buy. Currently I have two Corsair RAM sticks, 1GB each at 1066MhZ which makes me cry when I boot up Win7 (Product CM2X1024-8500C5D). Ideally I'd got for another two of the exact same thing, but I can't find them locally anymore, and shipping international would probably murder my wallet (in Portugal, shipping from UK stores may actually be okay).

I saw a couple of packs for 2x 2GB but those run faster than then ones I have, 1333mHz or 1600mHz. Would that be a problem? I understand they would run at the speed of the ones I already have, but would the difference in... that sequence of 4 numbers I don't know anything about, something like 8-8-8-24, make them incompatible? Is there a big difference in performance between having 4GB and having 6GB of RAM?

I'm not looking for extreme performance, just something that lets me play a game on Win7 and doesn't give me any problems. Any suggestions?

In case it's relevant here's what I have:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula II
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400
Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 9800GTX+
Power: Corsair TX650W

The slowest painter. Ever.
It Burns on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know if you look at some ram benchmarks and the amount of money that you pay for "performance" RAM, the numbers just don't add up.

Find the cheapest ram you can get from a reputable brand, (corsair or whoever), they'll still have life time warranty.

You don't need to worry about matching your ram speeds as your better stick will downclock itself to the slower ram.

The performance hit will be nothing compared to the speed you'll get from increasing your ram.

Just make sure you install your ram sticks in pairs or triples depending on your setup.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apologies if I am mentioning this unnecessarily

But just in case, to use 4 gigs of RAM you will require 64 bit Win7

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Apologies if I am mentioning this unnecessarily

But just in case, to use 4 gigs of RAM you will require 64 bit Win7

Got that covered.

Also I am so dumb. I have DDR2 ram, I was looking through DDR3 sticks. So the whole 1333/1666mHz thing is not an issue. DDR2 only goes up to 1066 which is what I have. It's nice to know I don't have to bother with the timings.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.