Options

Video game industry thread: we're done here, move on to the next one

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is really an unpersuasive argument. If books are set in a current conflict, they're either fantastical (James Bond, thanks for the example) or they're 'serious' -- artistic, reflective, ruminating on the nature of war.

Medal of Honor multiplayer decidedly does not fall into either camp.
    Any form of online multiplayer ends up being fantastical a la James Bond. You have a small area, keep on dying but just respawn, and the whole thing is so goddamn unbelievable.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    UK:

Not since 2004 (FIFA 05 in wk41 vs. PES4 in wk42) have the 2 big football titles been just 1 week apart. And whilst we are on memory lane, 2003 was the last time PES debuted before FIFA (also one week apart). This week is of course dominated by ‘FIFA 11’ which was up against last year’s iteration ‘FIFA 10’, the biggest FIFA title ever launched and the third biggest All Format title ever launched in the UK (behind ‘Modern Warfare 2’ and ‘GTA IV’).

‘FIFA 11’ comfortably takes the third place from ‘FIFA 10’ with overall units up 21% / overall revenue up 36% on ‘FIFA 10’ week 1. Xbox 360 remains the lead format (+26% units over last year) and PS3 is close behind (+23% over last year).

The 2 lead formats accounted for 96% of the 6 formats (DS debuts next week) compared to 94% last year. In terms of individual SKU week 1 unit/revenue sales ‘FIFA 11’ 360 is No8 and the PS3 version is No9. Finally, in terms of all 360/PS3 software units sold in week 39 ‘FIFA 11’ accounted for a massive 63%. The rest of the All Formats Top 40 shows no other new releases and Codemasters drop to No2 with ‘F1 2010’ (-46%). Capcom remain at No3 with ‘Dead Rising 2’ – 360/PS3 versions joined this week by the arrival of PC version (-23%). Microsoft’s ‘Halo: Reach’ drops 2 places to No4 (-45%) and Activision Blizzard climb one place to No5 with ‘Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock’ (-13%). EA’s ‘Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11’ climbs to a third best chart position since launch at No6 (+71%) and Sony’s ‘Sports Champions’ drops 2 places to No7 and remains the best-selling Move-enabled title for a third week in a row (-35%).

Week 39, 2010 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (__) 360 Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
    02 (__) PS3 Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
    03 (01) 360 F1 2010 (Codemasters)
    04 (02) PS3 F1 2010 (Codemasters)
    05 (03) 360 Halo: Reach (Microsoft)
    06 (04) 360 Dead Rising 2 (Capcom)
    07 (05) PS3 Dead Rising 2 (Capcom)
    08 (__) WII Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
    09 (07) PS3 Sports Champions (Sony Computer Ent.)
    10 (__) PSP Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
    11 (06) PC Civilization V (Take 2)
    12 (__) PS2 Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
    13 (10) WII Just Dance (Ubisoft)
    14 (08) 360 Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock (Activision Blizzard)
    15 (14) WII Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
    16 (12) WII Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)
    17 (33) NDS Art Academy (Nintendo)
    18 (18) WII New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
    19 (13) NDS New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
    20 (28) PS3 Tiger Woods Pga Tour 11 (Electronic Arts)
    21 (11) 360 Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft)
    22 (24) WII Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
    23 (30) 360 Sniper: Ghost Warrior (City Interactive)
    24 (37) PS3 Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Capcom)
    25 (19) 360 Need For Speed: Shift (Electronic Arts)
    26 (__) 360 Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft)
    27 (21) NDS Toy Story 3 (Disney Interactive Studios)
    28 (16) PS3 Mafia Ii (Take 2)
    29 (27) WII Grease: The Official Video Game (505 Games)
    30 (09) PC Final Fantasy Xiv (Square Enix Europe)
    31 (31) PS3 Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft)
    32 (17) 360 Mafia Ii (Take 2)
    33 (15) 360 Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts)
    34 (40) PS3 Red Dead Redemption (Take 2)
    35 (35) WII Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
    36 (32) 360 Red Dead Redemption (Take 2)
    37 (__) PS3 Assassin's Creed Ii: Complete Edition (Ubisoft)
    38 (36) 360 Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (Square Enix Europe)
    39 (23) PS3 Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock (Activision Blizzard)
    40 (34) WII Dance On Broadway (Ubisoft)
    1. Fifa 11 - Xbox 360 (50%) | PS3 (47%) | Wii (1%) | PSP (1%)
    2. F1 2010 - Xbox 360 (51%) | PS3 (49%) | PC (0)
    3. Dead Rising 2 - Xbox 360 (59%) | PS3 (38%)
    4. Halo: Reach - Xbox 360 (100%)
    5. Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock - Xbox 360 (52%) | PS3 (26%)
    6. Tiger Woods Pga Tour 11 - PS3 (54%) | Xbox 360 (31%) | Wii (16%)
    7. Sports Champions - PS3 (100%)
    8. Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Xbox 360 (54%) | PS3 (41%) | Wii (3%)
    9. Toy Story 3 - DS (48%) | Wii (21%) | Xbox 360 (16%) | PS3 (12%)
    10. Civilization V - PC (100%)

FIFA 11 sold 821k across all platforms.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-04-nintendo-1-in-3-uk-homes-has-a-wii
    One in three UK households has a Wii, Nintendo has claimed.

The impressive statistic comes courtesy of independent Chart Track data. It worked out the total number of UK Wii sales and compared the figure to the number of households in the UK – 24.9 million according to the Office of National Statistics' 2006 census data.

That means Nintendo's shifted around 8.3 million Wiis in the UK. "Over 11 million" are "enjoying Nintendo DS", the company also boasted.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    That is really an unpersuasive argument. If books are set in a current conflict, they're either fantastical (James Bond, thanks for the example) or they're 'serious' -- artistic, reflective, ruminating on the nature of war.

Medal of Honor multiplayer decidedly does not fall into either camp.
    Any form of online multiplayer ends up being fantastical a la James Bond. You have a small area, keep on dying but just respawn, and the whole thing is so goddamn unbelievable.

For what it's worth, I thought it was gross when KumaWar (or whatever it was called) tried it too. And I can't be the only one, because the idea got scrubbed. I love shooters, but I'd prefer not to have my moral gag reflex tripped when I play a game online. Leaving it to past conflicts, as opposed to current ones, seems like a reasonable line to me.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pig Hero doesn't seem to be doing that great in Euro-land.

How did the other Guitar Heroes fare during their first weeks, anyone remember?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

What will be interesting is the response RB3 gets. Since traditionally it's performed worse for various reasons. I don't remember the kinds of numbers GH would pull, but it should've probably done better. Are those monthly or weekly charts?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

What will be interesting is the response RB3 gets. Since traditionally it's performed worse for various reasons. I don't remember the kinds of numbers GH would pull, but it should've probably done better. Are those monthly or weekly charts?

Weekly. And sales are already dropping sharply after their first week (this is the second for Pig Hero).

I really don't think much of anything can be done for Rock Band in Britain though, since Beatles Rock Band was an utter failure even in the band's homeland, and larding up Lego Rock Band with British modern rock didn't work either.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Weekly. And sales are already dropping sharply after their first week (this is the second for Pig Hero).

I really don't think much of anything can be done for Rock Band in Britain though, since Beatles Rock Band was an utter failure even in the band's homeland, and larding up Lego Rock Band with British modern rock didn't work either.

I think people put too much stock in The Beatles being that important. And LEGO was always a niche title (but then, so is every one-band-only title).

In the end, what the Brits buy won't affect what I buy.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was joking but MoH is probably going to turn out pretty similar to that James Bond description. You'll play as made-up US soldiers who manage to defeat made-up Taliban terrorists and stop a bizarre made-up plan that'll threaten to turn the tide of the war, nuke the White House or whatever. Either way, both are probably more plausible than MW2...

Btw, DICE are completely owned by EA so they're a public company.

Bond is also a bad example because the author actually did the same thing that DICE is doing by shifting the focus away from "real world" antagonists towards a fictional criminal empire. The movies completely retconned the early villians by making them members of Specter rather than Soviet agents.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think people put too much stock in The Beatles being that important. And LEGO was always a niche title (but then, so is every one-band-only title).

Even if you don't have sky-high expectations for the Beatles, it's still shocking that the game didn't even crack the top 40 for at least one week.

And reading that Activision article shocked me--Kotick's been in charge since he bought a 25% stake at the start of 1991. He's been there for nearly 20 years, and made reasonably sane decisions for most of it. What the hell happened to change him that much?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Even if you don't have sky-high expectations for the Beatles, it's still shocking that the game didn't even crack the top 40 for at least one week.

Not at the retail price it shipped with... Combine that with the hideous price RB1 had and the general lack of hardware in non-NA territories for RB2, it shouldn't be too surprising people didn't want to pay that monster fee. Shit's expensive!
    And reading that Activision article shocked me--Kotick's been in charge since he bought a 25% at the start of 1991. He's been there for nearly 20 years, and made reasonably sane decisions for most of it. What the hell happened to change him that much?

The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Somebody still needs to finance, develop and market the games, says Epic boss

The supposed ‘destruction of publishers’ brought about by more open digital distribution models – such as the App Store – is a complete myth, says Epic Games’ boss Mark Rein.

The Unreal Engine firm’s vice president told Develop he believed that less policed platforms will, in fact, see the big firms flourish.

“It’s nonsense,” Rein said. “If we’re going to continue to have triple-A gaming experiences, which I’m convinced we will, then publishers are going to continue to play the key role in bringing the majority of them to market.

“They might cede distribution to online marketplaces like the iTunes App Store, but somebody still needs to finance, develop and market the games.”

Rein says that, historically, all media have proven that people are willing to pay for higher quality content – and that trait will not be exception in the mobile gaming space.

“For a long time, Call of Duty was one of the top iPhone grossing games. It might not have as many users as Angry Birds, but I’m willing to bet it made more money and it proves there’s a market for all kinds of gaming experiences on the platform – there is no right or wrong on these platforms,” he said.

“What we’re seeing with the success of Madden, GTA and Call of Duty on iPad and iPhone is that big brands and big marketing, combined with high production values, creates mindshare that lets them stand out in a crowd.

“It’s a natural evolution. When the audience size and expected sales justify a publisher like Ubisoft to spend $15m on a TV advertising campaign for their latest Assassin’s Creed mobile app, they will. This will happen.

“The great indie games will still be there – but the big games will get bigger just like they have on other platforms.”

Elsewhere in the latest interview with Develop, Rein envisioned a future where flagship game consoles will no longer be tethered to the television.
    Epic’s mobile play is also part of a wider bet on the direction the entire industry is heading in.

“A lot of gaming is going mobile and I believe that console-style gaming is going there as well,” says Rein.

“Imagine a future Xbox 360 that is actually a tablet you carry around. It will have more power than 360 does today, with technology like Kinect built right in. Imagine walking into a bar with some friends, propping it up on the table and playing games like Dance Central or Kinect Adventures anywhere you go.

"Then when you get home that same device will use technology like AirPlay or wireless HDMI to connect to your big screen, you’ll pick up a wireless controller, or use your phone as controller, to play games like Gears of War.

“It feels like there’s a great opportunity for game consoles to cease to be something you plug into the wall and rather become something you take with you. Of course it will be more than just your game console; you can have your productivity apps, your documents, and your media collections on it as well.”

It’s a bold theory from the kings of high-end game technology – the company which is so intrinsic to what the feel of current-gen console games became.

But Rein says it’s not a dream – this shift is already happening with iPad and other devices in the works, and often new devices which were once solely more low-end productivity pieces are built with entertainment in mind.

“Lately it feels like Apple is spending more time and energy marketing games than the gaming console manufacturers are,” he says.

“Today the companies making the hardware going inside phones know that games are important – they are incorporating processors that suit games and are as powerful as a PC or console. We’re turning a corner with GPUs and CPUs that support the intensive gameplay functions we need.

“So we’re going to see really powerful smaller machines emerge – they will be more powerful than a 360. To Epic that’s where our interest lies. We’re not interested in simple 2D games or games for the original iPhone or 3G; we want to bring high-quality, high-fidelity triple-A games to mobile. Epic Citadel woke a lot of people up – they realised it’s real and can be done.”
    Game developers suck at futurology.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Hai guise! We're going out drinkin' and guess wut! I'm bringing the Xbox 720 with me so we can have a dance contest right there at the bar!"

*collective groans*

Seriously, wtf!?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah...not seeing that happen. A huge reason people love consoles is getting to have that huge TV as their display.

Ahh, missed where he talks about HDMI. Still, crazy talk imo.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't think he's talking about taking your shit to a public TV, but making the console so portable that memory cards are a thing of the past. If they can make laptops, they can make more portable consoles.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think he's talking about taking your shit to a public TV, but making the console so portable that memory cards are a thing of the past. If they can make laptops, they can make more portable consoles.

Yes, but laptop's tend to be more expensive than the equivilant hardware in a PC. It's highly questionable (IMO) that there's a big enough niche for transporting a console to make it worth investing in.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yes, but laptop's tend to be more expensive than the equivilant hardware in a PC. It's highly questionable (IMO) that there's a big enough niche for transporting a console to make it worth investing in.

just give it a handle!

TelMarine on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

He's thinking in terms of things like the iPad.

Which itself is pretty powerful, somewhat portable, and about as expensive as a powerful PC upgrade or decent laptop. Or at least it was at launch ( i have no idea if they've lowered the price since then)

Even so I'm not sure the Ipad formula with the power to hook up to a TV is necessarily the future of gaming.

First devs need to figure out how to make controls not terrible for many games and genres.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »

just give it a handle!

isawthatbird.jpg

Seriously though, I actually did use the handle on the Gamecube.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

just give it a handle!

So, this is the most portable console ever?

gamecube-new.jpg

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It sounds more like a world where the handheld and the console are one and the same. Take it out and about, then when you get home plug it into the big screen.

Heck, there's been talk along a similar line ever since handhelds started connecting to consoles. You have a game, and when you want to go out, you throw it on your handheld and keep playing, then when you get home you connect again and keep playing at home.

Fancy idea in theory. Dunno if anything will ever come of it though, but who knows.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2010

just give it a handle!

lulz aside, all tech becomes smaller over time. It's not whether there is a market for it, it's whether anybody wants to invest the time and effort into doing it. Sooner or later, the base electronics will be tiny, comparatively.

And cost was never mentioned. Sure, it's all pie-in-the-sky talk. It's screams 'No really! We're relevant!' more than anything. But it's hardly the most bizarre prediction that consoles might become as easily portable as other electronics.

Radios, TV, and computers used to be gigantic. Now they're not. Let's try to keep a larger perspective in spite of an idiotic example.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So
    World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM) in Stores Starting December 7

IRVINE, Calif., Oct 04, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM), the highly anticipated third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game*, will be released starting on December 7, 2010. The expansion will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows(R) XP/Windows Vista(R)/Windows(R) 7 and Macintosh(R) at a suggested retail price of $39.99 and will also be offered as a digital download from the Blizzard Store. A special Collector's Edition packed with bonus items will be available exclusively in retail stores for a suggested retail price of $79.99.

"Cataclysm includes the best content we've ever created for World of Warcraft. It's not just an expansion, but a re-creation of much of the original Azeroth, complete with epic new high-level adventures for current players and a redesigned leveling experience for those just starting out," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "With the help of our beta testers, we're putting on the final polish, and we look forward to welcoming gamers around the world to enjoy it in just a couple of months."

The first two World of Warcraft expansions, The Burning Crusade(R) and Wrath of the Lich King(R), each shattered PC game sales records upon their release.* In Cataclysm, the face of Azeroth will be forever altered by the return of the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing. Players will explore once-familiar areas of the world that have now been reshaped by the devastation and filled with new adventures. In an effort to survive the planet-shattering cataclysm, two new playable races — worgen and goblins — will join the struggle between the Alliance and the Horde. As players journey to the new level cap of 85, they'll discover newly revealed locations, acquire new levels of power, and come face to face with Deathwing in a battle to determine the fate of the world.

The beta test for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is currently underway. Visit the official Battle.net(R) website at http://www.battle.net to set up a Battle.net account and sign up for a chance to participate. To learn more about World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, visit http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm.

Source is right here.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As much as people joke about it, the GC handle did prove useful for me every once in a blue moon.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why are people bringing up the GC. Future consoles will have HD handles and will thus be cool and not kiddy.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think all consoles become portable once you get a decent laptop bag for one. Made transferring my wii around so much easier and more organized.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It isn't a bad idea in that you would be able to play the same games at home as you do on trips. Kind of like the Turbo Grafx where the disks worked on both the console and the handheld.

I don't see that happening for the next generation but I could see why Microsoft, who doesn't already have a handheld, could see that as an opportunity. Don't see why either Sony or Nintendo would do that though.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It isn't a bad idea in that you would be able to play the same games at home as you do on trips. Kind of like the Turbo Grafx where the disks worked on both the console and the handheld.

I don't see that happening for the next generation but I could see why Microsoft, who doesn't already have a handheld, could see that as an opportunity. Don't see why either Sony or Nintendo would do that though.

The Nomad.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No one remembers this thing?
    416CKMCY4BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

exmello on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's not about making the console a self-contained portable unit. But that's also a possibility far into the tech future.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    exmello wrote: »

I do. Friend of mine had it, would play soul calibur2 with others before school would start. Problem was, the screen was more expensive then the gamecube itself (120 vs. 100). Hard to justify getting it with that price comparison.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    exmello wrote: »

I do. Friend of mine had it, would play soul calibur2 with others before school would start. Problem was, the screen was more expensive then the gamecube itself (120 vs. 100). Hard to justify getting it with that price comparison.

Other problem is that these were released when LCD screens sucked horribly. Ghosting, overblown light and other issues were a big deal.

Edit: Okay, not sucked horribly, but it was hard to get a decent LCD display at a cheap price at the time.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are we now talking about those add-on screens that didn't really make the console more portable? The ones that still required some kind of power source and wall plugs are about the only answer?

Those things made them portable, but not much more portable than packing the console and cables every time.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are we now talking about those add-on screens that didn't really make the console more portable? The ones that still required some kind of power source and wall plugs are about the only answer?

Those things made them portable, but not much more portable than packing the console and cables every time.

My friend had a battery pack that plugged in the bottom, and a screen. Lasted about 1 and a 1/2 to 2 hours total, which was enough to play some smash bros/timesplitters on the bus to and from junior high.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    As much as people joke about it, the GC handle did prove useful for me every once in a blue moon.

While the handle certainly isn't an obstacle, I don't think it really gets around the actual practical limitations of a portable console compared to a laptop computer--namely, handle or not, you're going to have to drag along a heavy battery pack or diesel-fueled generator, along with a display of some sort.

The GC is easier to carry (for those people whom holding a console is an insurmountable obstacle), but it's not really any more portable, as far as I can tell. Except for being smaller.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

While the handle certainly isn't an obstacle, I don't think it really gets around the actual practical limitations of a portable console compared to a laptop computer--namely, handle or not, you're going to have to drag along a heavy battery pack or diesel-fueled generator, along with a display of some sort.

The GC is easier to carry (for those people whom holding a console is an insurmountable obstacle), but it's not really any more portable, as far as I can tell. Except for being smaller.

This is true. My point was just that it made the GameCube easier to lug around when needed. Obviously when I got there I still plugged it into the TV :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Future Consoles will come with a built in projector so hooking it up to a TV isn't needed.

Mobile devices will come with super kinetic like sensors to beam the visual signals right to your eyes (AR in 3D to boot).

Visionary / Future talk isn't difficult, its just separating the fantasy and the reality (practicality) of such things.

Another difficulty of a portable console is infact cables. The wii (and GC) are super light and easy to move. However getting to plug / unplug the cables is a total PITA especially if you have a nice entertainment center with everything neatly tucked away. This is on top of the whole needing power and display issue.

I'm still waiting for my AR / HUD visual glasses controlled via watch or phone or Nintendo 6th Sense

Mgslee on
    Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mobile devices will come with waggle and you know it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The cable issue wouldn't be so bad when we no longer have to give a shit about proprietary designs. So long as they have to support RCA connections, there will always be hassles.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just make audio/video wireless. No more hassle.

No, I don't care about the logistical impossibility of transmitting a 1080p/7.1ch stream of data wirelessly. This is the future dagnabit!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."