Options

Windows 7 64-bit? (Lock b/c I solved it all by myself)

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. On the inside of the DVD sleeve it says that it can install either 32 or 64-bit.

When I installed it, the 32-bit version was installed. There was no question as to which version I wanted to install.

I get the impression that if I upgrade the installation and have 64-bit hardware, it will upgrade to 64-bit. Will this work or do I have to go pick up a 64-bit copy of Windows 7?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You should have a 32-bit disc and a 64-bit disc. You need to use the right one and it will be labeled as which it is.

If you only have the 32-bit disc, you'll have to see if you can download or order the 64-bit copy from Microsoft.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sigh.

Well, the upgrade is almost done so maybe I'll get lucky and you're wrong.

Here's hoping.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I noticed you said upgrade in the first place, you are upgrading an existing installation of Windows I take it?

You can only upgrade 32-bit to 32-bit and 64-bit to 64-bit.

32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean install.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck. I just looked at the disk and it says on the DVD "32-Bit Software."

(time passes)

Aaaaaaaaand I just went upstairs and looked in the box that Microsoft sent me to throw the Win7 launch party last year. Win7 Ultimate 32-bit was in that box.

You know what else was in that box? A copy of Win7 64-bit in a DVD sleeve that I completely forgot about.

Descendant X on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i think if you own a legit key, MS will send you the version you want for a small shipping cost

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    I noticed you said upgrade in the first place, you are upgrading an existing installation of Windows I take it?

It should be noted that you can do a clean install with the upgrade version of windows 7, legally*. All you need to do is install the upgrade version without using a key, then install it again normally, upgrading from the unregistered version.

*Microsoft themselves told me to do this when I called up their tech support line.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Flay wrote: »

It should be noted that you can do a clean install with the upgrade version of windows 7, legally*. All you need to do is install the upgrade version without using a key, then install it again normally, upgrading from the unregistered version.

*Microsoft themselves told me to do this when I called up their tech support line.

Yeah, nothing wrong with doing it, just saying that you need to do a clean install.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Good thing I found the 64-bit disk so that I don't have to do that, eh?

Did you know that this is the third time I've installed Win7 on this computer tonight? Fourth if you count the upgrade attempt?

Descendant X on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I found this out after I needed to get the full version after my trial on the RC ran out and I accidentally bought the upgrade version instead of the full version...Microsoft's website says you need the full version to do a clean install but in fact "full version" and "upgrade version" aren't the same as "clean install" and "upgrade install". So I lucked out.

Glad to know it worked out OP.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg