As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Porting an AT&T Plan

adytumadytum The Inevitable RiseAnd FallRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum

adytum on

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd be really surprised if you couldn't. Going to a kiosk often isn't the best as they are often privately owned and aren't corporate, I would go to a corporate store, order online or simply call them and see if it is possible.

badpoet on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Verizon guy was clueless... it'll work just like any other phone number porting. Call their support # and they'll walk you through it.

illig on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As someone that worked for a pay as you go company - yes, you can port it. Go to a corporate store and let them know you have a number that you want to keep. It's all good.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can definitely be done.

I'll echo the advice to go to a corp store and tell them what you want to do. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what you'll need (it's been a while since I worked in customer care), but it's definitely doable.

xThanatoSx on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Before you cancel service with the old carrier, go into the new carrier and have them port it over when you sign up.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Before you cancel service with the old carrier, go into the new carrier and have them port it over when you sign up.

This. I use to work for Verizon as a contractor. The numbers by law have to be portable. If you get service with another company they typically port your number for you. Find a corporate store! Ther are billions of "Authorized Retailer" stores around and they are really just 3rd parties who get minimal training. Corporate stores typically have techs and full support staff.

Just remember Verizon is based on CDMA technology while AT&T is GSM. They can do technical things like port your address book numbers over to your new phone (in store) but not all your previous features (if you had any) will match up 1:1.

That's about it.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    According to Verizon the kiosk we went to is a Verizon Wireless store as opposed to an authorized retailer.

But there's a full-fledged retail store in a nearby mall. I'll go there instead.

Thanks guys.

There use to be kiosk's located in Circuit Citys. Most of the 3rd party guys will say they are Verizon. They're trained too. Look for business cards, sign boards, etc. If you see Authorized Retailer, then they're 3rd Party. Actually, Verizon's been cutting back on retail locations.

Use this to make sure.

But unless there has been some serious policy/law change it shouldn't be an issue. Btw, don't forget you AT&T customer # for being a PAY AS YOU GO customer is your cell number.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG