As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

jpeg's jpegs

jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACEScenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Artist's Corner
I have been trying to motivate myself to stop sucking so bad at arting

as if that were not enough motivation

here are some thangs I done lately!

groupshoti.jpg

sb174zella.jpg

sb176mountains.jpg

sb166chasm.jpg

I look like this! AC regulars may remember me from last year when I did a shitload of self portraits

sb177superlamesm.jpg

I also like music way way way too much, although I kind of suck at it. I play guitar averagely, and I am learning drums and bass. I want to get better at singing, as well

http://www.kevinkrull.com/mmhad.mp3 - a cover of Meet Me Here At Dawn by Cass McCombs
http://www.kevinkrull.com/bluebird.mp3 - a cover of Where Do My Bluebird Fly by The Tallest Man on Earth

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
jpeg on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should do some png's to fuck with people.
    Still loving the hell out of frog guy.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This thread rocks hard. Chainsaw chick is too good. I love it.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Your color choice is pretty great, and your rendering is really effective at conveying form, jpeg.

It might be helpful to do a bunch of feet studies, though. You don't look quite as confident about them as you do the rest of your figures.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Altough the 1st pic looks great, the 2nd one looks has way better colours/ a more harmonic feel. i prefer your painterly approach over the 1st one.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    great tittle, it is art in itself.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thanks everyone! I agree with both toji and the glad hatter, my feet are weak and I also prefer a more painterly approach than using hard linework like that

warmed up with some pretty terrible, quick feet studies tonight. I was trying to keep it quick and simple and try to analyze the basic shapes you can break it down into

need to sit down and do more extensive ones tomorrow, more bending and range of motion stuff

sb180shittyfeetsm.jpg

also these things. I have been looking at too much of tom scholes's stuff lately, the "add a person for scale" thing is pretty obvious evidence
    sb181receipt2.jpg
    sb179snowysm.jpg

jpeg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I hereby bestow you....

a handful of shitty figure drawings!

I apologize for just posting doodles. I am pretending this is self motivation

some from ref, some not
    sb184sketches.jpg

the composition for this is retarded but I like the monster
    sb183eldritchsm.jpg

I haven't been drawing much besides doodles, I've been playing bass instead

jpeg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    lame self portrait and lame faux-wakka

the last two self portraits I've done are hilarious to me, I feel like I should be sparkling. I AM NOT AS SUAVE AS MY DRAWINGS

once I started coloring the girl I felt like I was jacking the style from a painting wakka did so I just went full hog and pretended to channel him for an hour. also not feelin' the boobs quite honestly, they look wrong

sb185sp.jpg

sb186girl.jpg

haha, her right foot is backwards aw shit

jpeg on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Those figure and landscape studies are looking good. The feet especially look like you're getting a good understanding of the shapes.

I'd say it looks like you're having some problems when trying to render out your figures, though. The pencil doodle of the girl on the bottom left, for example, has a decent silhouette and flow, but not a lot of confidence when it comes to filling in the form.

If you want to fix this, I would suggest just working some longer figure studies (1 or 2 hours) into your routine, preferably from sources that have a strong play of light and shadow, as those will give you a much better sense of the underlying architecture.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I feel like I've seen that chainsaw girl before, have you posted that anywhere else? It is seriously bugging me, because I remember that exact pose but with less detail

Saint on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    thanks fug, I will sit down and do a longer figure study or two tonight and/or tomorrow. with my pencils I am a lot more tentative than in digital or with painting when it comes to values, fer sure

@saint, yeah, I think I posted the WIP in the doodle thread, and I know I posted the finished thing there too a few months back.

jpeg on
  • Options
    victravictra Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really like The painterly colorful one(2nd one) and the faux wakkawa one. I don't think you are bad at all, just need practice like us all to get better!

victra on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    sat down and did a couple longer pencil figure studies with value

I want a kneaded eraser or something that doesn't smudge the shit out of everything. I am trying to be super careful as I am drawing these without one haha

sb187figsm.jpg
    sb188datasssm.jpg

jpeg on