As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    With Romulas Multiball you can quickly go from nothing to like 100 million if you can complete the multiball fast enough. But man...it can be rough to hit the head from the left when you are juggling two balls.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Rome is my go to table. The low scoring makes it feel like any game could be a break out, high score game. It doesn't help that in my high score game I wasted an extra ball (in about 20 seconds), and when I lost my 3rd ball, I had conquer up, the extra ball spot up, AND Romulus. I'm happy with that score, but man... it could have easily been 10 million higher.

See. Now you're just being mean. ;-)

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rome is my go to table. The low scoring makes it feel like any game could be a break out, high score game. It doesn't help that in my high score game I wasted an extra ball (in about 20 seconds), and when I lost my 3rd ball, I had conquer up, the extra ball spot up, AND Romulus. I'm happy with that score, but man... it could have easily been 10 million higher.

See. Now you're just being mean. ;-)

Hey, I'm no longer in 1st place on Rome, I can totally downplay my high score now. :lol:

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm starting to think this game might not be for me. I've been having fun, but reading some of these posts has made me realize I have no idea what's going on on most of these tables.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm starting to think this game might not be for me. I've been having fun, but reading some of these posts has made me realize I have no idea what's going on on most of these tables.

If you're having fun then that is all that matters. I think there's definitely a learning curve with pinball in general and each table.

PolarBear on
  • Options
    PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does anyone know if the Marvel tables will be visible in Pinball FX2? I figured it would be an addon pack but it looks like a separate product after visiting their website and stuff. I really like the central system they have going now with high scores and wizard score and stuff :\

PolarBear on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PolarBear wrote: »

If you're having fun then that is all that matters. I think there's definitely a learning curve with pinball in general and each table.

Exactly. Have fun. 75% of the time I have no idea what I'm doing on the tables, but I love me some pinball. If I spent all my time considering how to beat Ratsult's, Psychotic's, or Cellorific's scores I would get burned out pretty quick. As it is, it's a fun goal to achieve when my skill gets better, and as I learn the tables more. Plus, the entire scoring system is there to reinforce small goals, such as when the game applauds you for beating your high score, or your weekly top score. It's one giant positive reinforcement circle, and that's what I love about it.

As to the Marvel DLC, it will apparently be accessible through Pinball FX 2's interface. I am not sure if it will be available as individual tables or as a pack.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My guess is an 800pt pack.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    PolarBear wrote: »

Exactly. Have fun. 75% of the time I have no idea what I'm doing on the tables, but I love me some pinball. If I spent all my time considering how to beat Ratsult's, Psychotic's, or Cellorific's scores I would get burned out pretty quick. As it is, it's a fun goal to achieve when my skill gets better, and as I learn the tables more. Plus, the entire scoring system is there to reinforce small goals, such as when the game applauds you for beating your high score, or your weekly top score. It's one giant positive reinforcement circle, and that's what I love about it.

As to the Marvel DLC, it will apparently be accessible through Pinball FX 2's interface. I am not sure if it will be available as individual tables or as a pack.

Part of the fun for me is learning. At first I have no idea at all how anything works, but at some point, I'll come back for a game and realize "oh, shooting this ramp after hitting these targets starts a duel!" and then I'll start adding that to my repertoire for that table. Later, I may figure out another part, and change it up... and maybe even start learning how some events lead to others.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Another thing that helps when learning a table is to glance at the table screen when it gives you certain challenges, as it tends to give some description of what you have to aim for. Also, what you have to aim for typically has flashing lights near it.

It's a learning process, but I agree it is fun to learn a new table.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OK, I've gotten full-on addicted to FX2. I still suck - Super score of 49 across the 4 tables - but I think I just need a push from a better friend's list.

Add away - xbox live is Azzupal

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like there is a tourny starting in 2 days on Secrets of the Deep.

Start practicing boyos

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like there is a tourny starting in 2 days on Secrets of the Deep.

Start practicing boyos

Should be interesting.

Also, bought Earth Defence, already love it, even for the music alone.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I've come to realize that just playing the tables, which is fun, helps you learn the tables, which makes it more fun. Just loving this, though some of your scores are just stupid, and I really don't think it's possible for me to ever beat most of them.

I've got 800 points here just begging to be spent on Pacman DX, but so far I've managed to stop myself, and save them for the Marvel tables. Hope it holds. Should probably stay sober, though.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm still waiting on 2400 points from the october promos dammit!!!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ugh, I am so bad at multiball. :P

on every table!

But I'm especially thinking of Speed Machine, which I logged about an hour on just now. It's easily the table I understand the best--I can get to the wizard mode every now and then, even--but the non-wizard multiball is such a disaster for me. Any multiball mode where you've got to use an upper flipper to score jackpots, I have so much trouble dividing my attention between the flippers that I end up draining pathetically through the center like an idiot.

Oh well, I set a new high score for myself on Speed Machine, so that's fun. Back in FX1 I had something well over 100 million on that table, but I don't seem to have the magic I did then. I think I'm spending too much time out and about chasing skirt and not enough time on my couch playing pinball.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I do fairly well with multiball by keeping the balls away from the sinkhole at whatever cost (:winky:), I focus on keeping them moving over aiming for any particular bonus. But maybe that's just me.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that's usually my strategy. I get greedy sometimes when I'm having a good game already and start focusing on actually hitting specific lanes and ramps, and that's when it goes south.

Nothing is more humiliating than having three balls on the table and then suddenly realizing they've all drained at once because you got distracted.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My only problem with multiballs is that in the chaos they tend to use up my kickbacks.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just had a stellar run for Secrets of the Deep. Almost had Multiballs up at all times.

Far Left Ramp a few times triggers - Chaos Mine Multiball - Two Ball Multiball - Hit ramps to hit jackpots. Score enough ramps and you'll get a huge bonus. Two or three sets of ramps = 10 million

Block in upper level for Magna-charging. Activate for Shark Attack Multiball - Three Ball Multiball - ramps for jackpot and feed shark on far left orbit for bonus points

Far Right Ramp - Lock 3 balls for Abyss Multiball - Five ball Multiball - ramps for jackpots. Longer it lasts bigger the bonus for "Going deep"

Also if you can hit all the targets in the final part of Shipwreck it activates extra ball on the mission hole. Avoid the holes and hit the targets for free balls :D

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tourney score is added on like its a seperate table. Superscore boost is a go!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Superscore boost is a go indeed! Oh, so very helpful.

Sent a batch of fresh friend requests tonight for leaderboard fun and "inspiration", so if you don't have me already, check your inboxes.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    God damn it...I went to bed last night and was ranked 11 on the tourney. Wake up today and I'm now 69 (heh). And Jesus Cell...all that and you are only 14th on the board? I don't even want to look at #1 cause I'd probably kill myself.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So does just playing Secrets of the Deep put you in the tourney?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yep simply play the table. Highest score during the tourney time period is your Tourney score. Tourney score is added to your superscore like it is its own table. So if you set a new high score on Secrets you get double the super score.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's what I thought, cool.

As much as I love the table's theme, it's probably my weakest of the 4 core tables, so I guess now is a good as time as any to practice.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Chaos and shark Multiball is where all the points are. Focus on that and practice =Kraken escapes.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Superscore boost is a go indeed! Oh, so very helpful.

Sent a batch of fresh friend requests tonight for leaderboard fun and "inspiration", so if you don't have me already, check your inboxes.

I didn't get one. I'm dying for more competition. Friend request incoming!

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    God damn it...I went to bed last night and was ranked 11 on the tourney. Wake up today and I'm now 69 (heh). And Jesus Cell...all that and you are only 14th on the board? I don't even want to look at #1 cause I'd probably kill myself.

Heh. I was 12th when I stopped for the night.

While I don't know about the tourney scores, I did peek at the overall leaderboard for SotD. 1st is well over 2 billion. D: /wrists

And yes, Mine Chaos (2-ball multiball) is where a large chunk of my points came from. Far more manageable to hit shots when there's only 2 balls on the table. Abyss multiball is basically a big chunk of manga-save draining failure for me.

EDIT: Sorry Boognish. I went off the OP list adding where I could and had a thread-skim fail. Missed you and LaPuzza. That's been rectified.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks!

How I start my game on Secrets of the Deep is to not complete SHIP as long as possible. Sure, there's an extra ball there, but if you don't raise that platform, you can shoot the far left ramp and get Mine Chaos as well as move the submarine up, and it sets up the same shot as it comes out of the funnel. I just hit that shot as many times in a row as I can. Usually the first Mine Chaos will arbitrarily complete SHIP for me.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the ball in the left plunger lane? So far, the only way I can deliberately make it in is to use the periscope, but that is unreliable. I've had several games well above 100 million, but not a single time did I finish the New Species thing. After a while, I just spent several games trying for it over and over again, ignoring score. If I manage to light all three targets, and get it in the left plunger, I'll miss the skill shot. It can't be worth it. Right?

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whoa, sorry Boognish, I missed your request to add entirely. Rectified.

And dammit, I'm getting really antsy waiting for Mars and Paranormal to be added. I broke down and picked up Nightmare Mansion in the meantime.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aww yeah, just beat my old Earth Defense score!
    By about 150,000 points. Not even another notch on on my Superscore. :(

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    II SuBZer0 has taken over 1st place in the PFX2 Secrets of the Deep tournament. 1,519,232,600

:(

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why can't PA have the exploding Psyduck emoticon that SA has. It pretty much sums up my reaction to that quote.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    II SuBZer0 has taken over 1st place in the PFX2 Secrets of the Deep tournament. 1,519,232,600

With my high score on that table sitting around 14,000, seeing that score just blows my mind.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Broke down and got Excalibur.

Enjoying my 15 minutes of fame before Boognish obliterates my high score.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Holy fuckstick! That score just....just...I don't know what to say about it. D: I was pleased as punch when, two days ago, I managed to bump my score up to the 45 million level, putting me in 6th place amongst our humble leaderboards here. But that score. My God.....it's full of stars.....

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kris wrote: »

With my high score on that table sitting around 14,000, seeing that score just blows my mind.

Kris, you're not on the friends list. Consider yourself added :P

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks DoctorArch. :)

You must have seen an old version of my sig though, because my XBL name is Zephyrall.

I'll add the people from the friends list in a bit. Should make for some good encouragement.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kris wrote: »
    Thanks DoctorArch. :)

You must have seen an old version of my sig though, because my XBL name is Zephyrall.

I'll add the people from the friends list in a bit. Should make for some good encouragement.

Corrected, but FYI, the old gamertag is in the dropdown list under your profile. You can change it under User Control Panel.

DoctorArch on