Options

I need a some input..

Parris NoirParris Noir Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Artist's Corner
I need some input on this image i made, its a change in style for me, so im not 100% on it...

So yeah

isbelle04.jpg

the robit spiders are EVERYWEHERE.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Parris Noir on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know what she's doing, It's, a sexy hand on hips side strafe?

She's crossing her legs, in a way that can only mean "lets see how far I can cross my legs while standing up".
    Her front foot doesn't seem to be making any meanigful sort of contact with the ground, no ankle rotation or anything like that, but that problem really stems from her entire body position.

Her Head, shoulders hips and legs each seem to be doing something different, and her shirt buttons make not sense at the top, there are buttons coming through, yes, but the way the shirt sits at the neck doesn't show one side of the shirt going over the other.

Also Isabelle has an "A"

BUT!

Your colouring is really quite nice. It threw me at first, but has somewhere to go. The proportions are pretty good, a bit squarish in the body shapes, but good, that's probably why I can pick it apart, uncanny valley and all that. Her right hand looks good too. That is not an angle I see often, and you pulled it off well.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't really speak for the design, but the character seems like it has potential.

I'll start off with some things I like:

I think that the tattoos are a pretty nice addition

The belt and the pouches, and the rest of her outfit - not the design so much, but the fact that she actually looks as if she's wearing them.

Some problems I can see:

Her head is really, really big.

Her facial features are really flat and not particularly interesting.

Her gesture is...kinda weird. What is she doing exactly? Drunkenly stumbling about?

Her feet do not look like feet. I would suggest drawing some feet.

The character does not seem to be subjected to any discernible light source. I see some sparse shadows, but no real highlights.

Anatomically, there are parts of her that don't make a lot of sense. Specifically I mean the curve of her thighs and the manner in which they seem to be connected to her lower legs.

There are way too many buttons on her vest.

You've overused textures to the point that the character has to fight for her position as the focal point of the picture.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    You've overused textures to the point that the character has to fight for her position as the focal point of the picture.

and to add to that, a lot of the time the textures themselves are fighting against form and flattening out the character. I mean, I think without the textures it would be quite flat anyway - it's admittedly hard to tell, but it looks like there are almost no form shadows except around her boobs (and the cast shadow on the ground is weirdly shaped and makes no sense with the lighting) - but on the glove and the front foot, for example, the textures are going against the contour grain and removing any three dimensionality that might have been present.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanx for the input, i get sick of showing it to people i know becuase all i get in response is, that looks good/great/ect., so actual input is awsome and helps me improve, alot of the issues you have mentioned are things ive been concerned with.

I was trying to go for a cartoonish stylisd look which i never do, but i kinda got out of control on pose, proportion, shading(over doing it in place, under doing it in others), and the background is a bit much.

Il try again with a diffrent pose, thanx

Parris Noir on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i made some changes per your suggestions
    isbelle05.jpg

Parris Noir on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you look at only the bottom half of the drawing, specifically the legs, it looks like the left leg is right, and the right leg is left. then you scroll up and realize how bizarre it really is.

I like the drawing nonetheless.

Awk on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you flipped the legs, so the right leg was actually going stage left and the left leg was stage right (is that right?) and she was just sanding there, hip cocked to the side, looking all badass, I think it would look better. It's a really good drawing, and your color style is great. Personally I like the way the feet look.

Also, a minor crit, I think the right hand should either have a different finger pose or be holding some type of item or firearm. That's just me though.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    McDMcD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Personally, I think the style works well for the drawing, so I wouldn't worry about that, but I have to agree with Vagrant on the feet thing. Just now the front foot doesn't look like it's taking any of her weight and it seems a little flat... The pose on the legs is a little odd, but I think the top part's working. Also, I feel as though it could do with a little more contrast, just to pull her out of the background a bit more. Aside from that though, the colours are cool and you've got the hands looking good.

McD on