As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Which wych is which?

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah reserving can mean you don't play forever, but it can save your marines

If you don't deep strike

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    Yeah reserving can mean you don't play forever, but it can save your marines

If you don't deep strike

God tell me about it.

In the first apoc game we played at the store my whole Dark Angel's 4th Battle Company was deployed across the table in a line.

For the first two turns, they and they alone took the incoming fire of every single gun on the other side. Once the rest of the Imperial side actually started to engage the Angels did the only thing left. Those battle brothers still alive hefted their bolters and leapt from the shell hole that had just been their comrades. The 4th company died a glorious death. Small green drops in a sea of chaos.
    Apoc10.jpg
    Final pict capture of the 4th company, Dark Angels Chapter.
    They died looking fabulous!:winky:

PS. Have Dark Angles stopped being gay yet what with the Space Wolves and Blood Angels out now? I kinda want to play them now thinking about it.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Started building my first of 2 hydras:

Modified Chimera:
    5216856192_966bdfd5f4_b.jpg

And with the turret on:

5216856300_66f21396d1_b.jpg

In our apoc on Saturday, I took 3 Masters of Ordinance. It was glorious.

Also, i had a callidus assassin die to a squad of fire warriors before she got to go because she doesn't have grenades. They also killed a wolf priest. Fucking A.

My guard shooting was amazing though. I thoroughly annihilated the enemy.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just found out my Girlfriend got me the 'Ultramarines Movie' for an early Christmas present :) . I'll let y'all know my reaction once we sit down with some popcorn** and find out if GW can actually make a movie.

**Note: Since Corn, popped or otherwise, is strictly prohibited by the Southbeach diet, this particular detail will likely change to some form of celery and/or raw almonds. Please note and adjust your opinion of my review accordingly.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    I haven't seen any updated hierophant listings, but the one in apocalypse book does not show it as a synapse creature. He thought it was, so he basically had no synapse creatures in his list. He also took endless swarm, and didn't realize that the without number rule is gone. Lol.

The thing with apocalypse is, it's a 4th edition expansion. Rules listings are for 4th edition codices. With things like the Tyranid stuff, they're costed for the 4th edition special rules, so it's simpler to just use the special rules allocated by the 4th edition codex. If you don't let him take WON with endless swarm because you're going by 5th edition codex rules, you have to allow him the new warp field for zero extra points on his Heriophant. And that grants that monstrosity a 3++ save, which will make it nearly unkillable. It's easier to just give endless swarm WON, and the Heirophant the old 2+, 6++ warp field, which the datasheets are costed around.

edit - since I'm getting sick of painting purple and bone, I was nearly getting side tracked by another army. Then I realized - I have no terrain! I can paint that! So, a Sanctum Imperialis is sitting next to me, waiting to be built, based and painted.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hypothetical Question:

If I started a painting/hobby Blog, would anyone read it?

I kinda feel like having a place to dump all my random musings and painting and shit.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd give it a glance. Quality 40k blogs are in short supply.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Only if you promised to still post in the art thread on occasion :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Asher wrote: »
    Hypothetical Question:

I kinda feel like having a place to dump all my random musings and painting and shit.

I constantly consider stripping my nids and stealing your scheme, so yes.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Heh, my friend who is getting back into the hobby with Dark Eldar came around today and we talked about some 40k stuff. Apparently his brother is just getting out of the hobby, and is getting rid of his Tyranids. Giving them away, and he asked if I wanted them. Wonder if I'll end up with them, from what I remember about his Nids, he's got quite the collection.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hypothetical Question:

Absolutely, your stuff is ace.

Niklas on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nooooo! Maelstrom extended their Christmas sale to the 6th! And I was just thinking about picking up three Raiders on their next sale, hoping it would be next year!

The Dark Eldar, they're raiding my wallet!

Echo on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Nooooo! Maelstrom extended their Christmas sale to the 6th! And I was just thinking about picking up three Raiders on their next sale, hoping it would be next year!

The Dark Eldar, they're raiding my wallet!

They always extend their Christmas sales!

Hmm, positive responses for the Blog thing. How would I go about making a blog anyway?

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    ClaymanClayman Don't be a baked potato. Be a person. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, positive responses for the Blog thing. How would I go about making a blog anyway?

http://wordpress.com/ is a good start

Clayman on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They always extend their Christmas sales!

I don't remember Maelstrom ever not extending any of their deals by a week.

Simplest way is hit up blogger.com and pick a style you like then start typing (you have a google account, right?).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reposted from the We Love Orks thread on
    Warseer
    Originally Posted by Sholto
    The Intruder
    The ice had long gone, of course, long before the seas themselves went during the sacrilegious bombardment of Holy Terra by the forces of the Great Traitor. All that was left behind was bare rock, rippled and whorled into a new sea of glassy, black stone from the unimaginable forces unleashed during those darkest of days.

Seeking new territory on Holy Terra came the Inquisition; the dread Ordo Hereticus. From one pole, already the site of their hidden headquarters, to another, new dungeons to exhume. Under this fused and newly-frozen ocean the Inquisition dug, deep into the tortured bedrock they went, new halls and chambers won from the cold, dead stone, and filled with unnameable and eldritch secrets wrenched bleeding from a galaxy of horrors, stored far beneath the surface, never to rise.

Their labyrinthine delvings continued over the decades and centuries that followed, their underground empire branching new limbs and organs in the stygian depths, but the rumours that had plagued the sunken fortress of despair could not be buried.

Rumours of a man who stalked the tunnels, the corridors, the hallways in the eternal night, wreathed in red fire and rimmed with hoar-frost. Rumours of a man who was not a man, a daemon who could not be caught, not even by those who hunted the greatest and most mortal enemies of the Imperium. A cursed revenant of ages past who appeared once every year, evading security systems that could catch the mote in a man’s eye, one breath in a hurricane, the shadow of a shadow. Locked doors could not stop him, trusted steel and adamantium like rain unto a wave, and so the Inquisition huddled in their cells once a year, terrified to fall asleep.

But sleep they must, and sleep they did. And awoke, in the fake morning of that fake night, to find by their beds a single piece of darkest anthracite and always the echo, fading away down the endless halls and tunnels.

Ho, Ho, Ho....

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everyone in every country around the world complains about the Economy.
    Nobody knows it more than your Favorite Local Game Store Owner!

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that could possibly drum up more business for the poor guy?
    Would hate to see a Game Store (anywhere!) close.

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Host a good amount of tournaments with entry fees, for one. Gets people and money into the store. It's hard to give advice for something like that without knowing what he's already doing/not doing or what he stocks, what his local community is into, what other kinds of stores are in the area... etc, etc.

SJ on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    altmann wrote: »
    thing I learned about apoc early on was: don't reserve.

We also changed our apoc rules so half your reserves come in turn 2 and the other half turn 3. Otherwise it's completely wasted.

Aren't those the standard reserve rules for apoc anyway?

@tim yes you should, they are too pretty not to take to battle occassionally

@asher yes you should! I use blogger for my blog, and wordpress for my webcomic

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that could possibly drum up more business for the poor guy?
    Would hate to see a Game Store (anywhere!) close.
    Good things that my FLGS owner does that I'm not sure if he makes a lot of money on but bring me into the store to spend a ton of cash:

Used minis
    Store card that gets you 10% off stuff
    Email newsletters
    Great website
    Hype for new products

I'm fairly sure he makes a bucketload from Magic, too.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Used minis can make money, but it's all dependent on how regular people trade that shit in. In order to make money on it you have to really price gouge on the trade-ins and that can really turn people off. Unless you're talking about trade-able stuff like Monpoc or DnD minis. Email newsletters help a ton for a variety of reasons. Hell one of the biggest reasons that the store I work at does so well is just got to do with the fact that we personally greet every customer that comes in and are always helping people while they're in the store, giving honest opinions about board games/etc, and chatting with people while they're in the store. Also: good lighting and a lack of nerd smell.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, they don't give a whole lot for their trade-ins, but most people don't care. Hell, I've traded in stuff. I'd rather sell it to the store for 50% of what I could get on ebay just because I don't have time for ebay.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. It's got more to do with flow than the exact %, at any rate - doesn't matter how much you make on individual trade ins if hardly anyone does so.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yup, they have a great stash of used minis on the wall for 40k, fantasy, and Warmachine, and the big stuff (tanks, dreads, etc) are in a showcase. People trade in entire armies all the time and they make quite a large amount on those since they give a big group price then they're able to price each unit individually.

It isn't a huge percent of their profit I'm sure, but it gets people into the store.

edit: and good lighting is huge. And friendly employees. So many times I've gone into LGS's in my travels and the dude just stands there. The guys at my FLGS help anyone, no matter who they are.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright, a question for all you Tyranid fans. Let us discuss the oddities of cover, monstrous creatures, and mixed units. I have a tyrant, and he has a little buddy. The tyrant can't get cover unless 50% of his body is covered, and the little guy is standard infantry, so it's easy for him to get cover. Now cover is generally determined by the majority of the models in a group. So if my tyrant/guard unit is being screened by gants, the guard gets cover, and the tyrant doesn't , but cover is determined by the unit, so they both get a cover save? Or does only the guard get a cover save?

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    IIRC only the Guard would get the save in that case. The only time the Tyrant will ever get a cover save if he is 50% obscured or more, or within range of a Venomthrope (venomthropes own btw).

SJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Razorback kit: it's a Rhino with some more bits to make a Razorback, right? And you can easily swap gear to change between a Razorback and Rhino?

Asking on behalf of a friend that wants one Rhino and one Razorback. Might be better to get two Razorbacks if they can convert as needed.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes. There is literally no reason to every buy a Rhino over a Razorback, since they are the exact same vehicle but the Razorback has an extra sprue in it for the gun. Just don't glue the top hatch in place and you can easily swap between the two.

SJ on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Started building my first of 2 hydras:

Modified Chimera:
    5216856192_966bdfd5f4_b.jpg

And with the turret on:

5216856300_66f21396d1_b.jpg

In our apoc on Saturday, I took 3 Masters of Ordinance. It was glorious.

Also, i had a callidus assassin die to a squad of fire warriors before she got to go because she doesn't have grenades. They also killed a wolf priest. Fucking A.

My guard shooting was amazing though. I thoroughly annihilated the enemy.

I do have to admit where other men might scatter and blow up their own troops, altmanns MoO seem to never miss. "hey im going to splatter these chaose marines here surrounded by your troops scurvy with my MoO" "ummm no thats bad its going to scatter" "DANGER CLOSE" rolls dice, lands on them almost perfectly.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Great. Forwarding to my filthy Blood Angels-playing friend.

Also, just picked up my two Ravagers from Maelstrom. Now to hem and haw and figure out a way to make the side sponsons swappable so I can run them as Raiders as needed.

Echo on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The sponson thingy clips in between the decks, there are two little pegs. I reckon if you trimmed off the pegs, stuck some magnets down there and clipped it in half (it's a single piece) it might be able to slide in and out as desired (:winky:)

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I do have to admit where other men might scatter and blow up their own troops, altmanns MoO seem to never miss. "hey im going to splatter these chaose marines here surrounded by your troops scurvy with my MoO" "ummm no thats bad its going to scatter" "DANGER CLOSE" rolls dice, lands on them almost perfectly.

I had similar luck in my last Apoc game before the new Guard codex came out. I filled out my list by taking a ton of Last Chancers all with just a vox caster. I then deep-striked them right next to enemy units and used the "On my Position" apoc thing and used them to call in oribtal strikes. It was hilariously effective and I didn't loose a single Chancer to deep-strike mishap or friendly fire.

God I want to play a game of Apoc again so badly. My Warhound is sitting in my basement fully repaired and painted just waiting to kill something.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I had similar luck in my last Apoc game before the new Guard codex came out. I filled out my list by taking a ton of Last Chancers all with just a vox caster. I then deep-striked them right next to enemy units and used the "On my Position" apoc thing and used them to call in oribtal strikes. It was hilariously effective and I didn't loose a single Chancer to deep-strike mishap or friendly fire.

God I want to play a game of Apoc again so badly. My Warhound is sitting in my basement fully repaired and painted just waiting to kill something.

I believe its now required that when you do that and your teammate questions the intelligence of that decision you yell "DANGER CLOSE!" and roll the dice.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    my manticore was insane on Saturday too. I only fired it once, rolled 3 shots.

I rolled hits for every single scatter and had 24 hits directly on epidemus's squad of nurglings. i think after wounds and 5+ invuls 17 died or something.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright, a question for all you Tyranid fans. Let us discuss the oddities of cover, monstrous creatures, and mixed units. I have a tyrant, and he has a little buddy. The tyrant can't get cover unless 50% of his body is covered, and the little guy is standard infantry, so it's easy for him to get cover. Now cover is generally determined by the majority of the models in a group. So if my tyrant/guard unit is being screened by gants, the guard gets cover, and the tyrant doesn't , but cover is determined by the unit, so they both get a cover save? Or does only the guard get a cover save?

50% of a unit must be in cover to get the cover save, a Tyrant with Guard is a unit of two models, if one is in cover (say the guard is behind some gaunts) then the whole squad gets the save. That's how I read it anyway, and I've not met anyone who plays it differently.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    The sponson thingy clips in between the decks, there are two little pegs. I reckon if you trimmed off the pegs, stuck some magnets down there and clipped it in half (it's a single piece) it might be able to slide in and out as desired (:winky:)

Hmmmm. Yeah, looks doable. Then there's the stuff by the sail too, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    On my apocalypse team on Saturday we had something like a vortex missile launcher. It launched vortexes. It killed a dude's entire army (2000 points ish) with no saves possible at all.

We also had a giant superlaser and a doomsday device. It was super cheesy. Also the IG flyers in apocalypse are just dumb.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One of the staff members at my store is tempted to just take 12 Doomsday Devices and 2 Baneblades for his 5000pt apocalypse army, which should at least prove amusing.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just do like 28 command squads with masters of ordinance.

First turn just kill everything.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just do like 28 command squads with masters of ordinance.

First turn just kill everything.

Oh shit. I totally have way more models than I need to do this.

But I also have three Deathstrikes.

SJ, we need to organize an Apoc game of just cool people some time during winter break.

Librarian's ghost on

This discussion has been closed.