As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

24: Day 6: Jack Goes For The Throat

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    All they had to do to make this season good was have it be about Jack escaping from a Chinese prison, but noooooooooo.

I was kind of hoping for that too. Jack on his own in China, fighting his way out, making allies here and there, trying to get in contact with CTU, should the US risk a war to get him out?... hell yea. All that went to shit as soon as the first trailer appeared. Oh well, this season does have its high points though.

xraydog on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What are you guys talking about!? This season is great! With the exception of Jack getting caught like 50+ times.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    just imagine what it would cost to make a whole series in China...

they can only do it in LA because of the weather, since it has to look like the same day for 9 months yaknow...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

they can only do it in LA because of the weather, since it has to look like the same day for 9 months yaknow...

There's no way it would cost more to film in China than it would to in LA. I'm sure the producers could get the government on board and make location scounting and such tons smoother than it would be in LA.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

There's no way it would cost more to film in China than it would to in LA. I'm sure the producers could get the government on board and make location scounting and such tons smoother than it would be in LA.

You think they could get the Chinese government on board with them making a show about a dude escaping from the Chinese government?

Changing subjects, I don't get this whole Russian standoff thing. So the Russians are pissed that the US is failing to recover a component that would allow the Chinese to compromise all of their defenses. So, in response to this, the Russians decide that they will start a war with the US, who also have this component that would supposedly compromise their defenses. It's like Russia just wants to be wiped out or something.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    but like getting (wild guess) 50 actors/staff-people to get to live in China for 9 months or something? doesn't sound like a very simple or cheap task i might think. and i don't know about the weather in China if they have a place like LA where the weather is all year the same... but that's mainly the reason why you can't make a CTU:NYC/London/Monaco Season

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's like Russia just wants to be wiped out or something.

maybe it's Linderman behind that plan ;)

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know they don't have to film in China, it just has to look like China.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah!

Malkor on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    You know they don't have to film in China, it just has to look like China.

No no the cast of Stargate goes to different planets every time they have to film, they only have their space ship based in Canada.

yakul on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    hehe, ok, point taken. ;)

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stargate also has shit production values. 24 has film-quality production. Buildibng sets and hiring enough people to make China convincing would cost a bloody fortune.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It't not like there's no film industry in Hong Kong.

Malkor on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I figure I can bump this a few hours early...just caught up after a hellacious end of semester.

So seriously, is it just me or is the suspension of disbelief getting downright impossible here? I mean seriously, we've dealt with this before but at some point it just becomes ludicrous that I've been to shopping malls with better security than CTU.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    without reading the thread so far... I've missed the last 4 or so eps, and from what I heard (from family) the last episode was the first good one in a bit.

I think I am just going to jump back in tonight because I'm tired of waiting...

is this a fuck up? is it even worth it?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Variable, this season is totally the second best. Don't listen to them. Except for the fact that two of the best characters died...

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    without reading the thread so far... I've missed the last 4 or so eps, and from what I heard (from family) the last episode was the first good one in a bit.

I think I am just going to jump back in tonight because I'm tired of waiting...

is this a fuck up? is it even worth it?

If you enjoy playing the "guess the next retarded plot line" game then go for it. Otherwise dump it and wait for next season.

tofu on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Variable, this season is totally the second best. Don't listen to them. Except for the fact that two of the best characters died...

The question needs to be asked: Have you only seen two season?

In all seriousness, I would like to read your rankings of the seasons from best to worst.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Hobbes wrote: »

The question needs to be asked: Have you only seen two season?

In all seriousness, I would like to read your rankings of the seasons from best to worst.

I liked the last two, and i have seen the first, and about half of the other seasons. but I hear enough about it from my brother. I have seen most of the virus one, and quite a bit more of the others.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Tom's job is awesome.
    Why people all gotta betray Jack?

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ZOMG

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Tom's job is awesome.
    Why people all gotta betray Jack?

Tom went from annoying to awesome pretty quickly.

xraydog on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You didn't like lennox? Man you people!

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone find Doyle's character to be inconsistent?
    He was all about following orders and the good of the nation when Jack went rogue to save Audrey. Then when the Doc was gonna inject Audrey with some meds that might kill her to find out where Cheng was, he gets all uppity to Nadia saying it wasn't right. Now the VP asks them to sell out Josh to his granpa and he's got no qualms with this?

Aren't the Audrey thing and the Josh trade very similar?

Or am I nitpicking?

Hobbes, I agree that Season 5 was awesome, but this season pales in comparison. Season 1 was my fave, but maybe because it was so new and fresh. However, it might not stand up with time.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Anyone find Doyle's character to be inconsistent?
    He was all about following orders and the good of the nation when Jack went rogue to save Audrey. Then when the Doc was gonna inject Audrey with some meds that might kill her to find out where Cheng was, he gets all uppity to Nadia saying it wasn't right. Now the VP asks them to sell out Josh to his granpa and he's got no qualms with this?

Aren't the Audrey thing and the Josh trade very similar?

Or am I nitpicking?

No, I was feeling the same way. Though...
    In theory, there were some differences. When Jack wanted to go rogue, he was disobeying orders that came directly from the President. With Audrey, on the other hand, he was trying to convince Jack to disobey orders that came from Division...not nearly as high up the chain. Then, of course, he was willing to disobey Nadia/Division's orders himself (with the ability to deny it) by letting Jack go. With Josh, you again have orders that come directly from the President.

Basically, the amount of spine Doyle has is directly affected by the level from which the orders come.

But even that's still a bit of a stretch for me.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think he just does what is right in his eyes as long as he is not breaking any laws. And he is very by the book unless something he thinks is truly wrong is happening.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    what the hell happend to "we don't negotiate with terrorist"?
    i mean, Jacks Dad IS a terrorist and the US would never sacrifice an innocent boy. boy, i hated that Phillip+Josh Storyline from the beginning

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

What are you talking about? The government in 24 is CONSTANTLY negotiating with terrorists and sacrificing people.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

What are you talking about? The government in 24 is CONSTANTLY negotiating with terrorists and sacrificing people.
    Pretty much. They just like to tell Jack they don't so he'll get pissed off enough to offer them a Plan B.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Soo.. Season Finale. Any predictions?

I'll start out with something pretty mundane like I imagine there'll be happy endings for CTU staff, like Chloe and Morris back together. Likewise for Bill and Karen.

Trailer:
    http://www.24fans.net/videos/season_6_trailers/episode23_24/

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    predictions? lots of explotions, DAMNITs, blood and tears.

oh, and of course some cliffhanger.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    whoa, what's up with Chloe all of a sudden?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Jack does it Goldeneye style!

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ugh awful season overall.

and gay as fuck ending

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    yay baby

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Chloe shit was dumb and contrived

The rest was kinda lame

was I think only one expected the end to be
    Jacks dad riding away injured on the boat?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    After that godawful season, It kinda hurts me to say it's a shame the show's been renewed. That would've been a fitting ending for the story of 24 overall;
    Jack starts an all new life, Chloe is pregnant and back with Morris, Karen and Bill have retired, all is well.

But then again, you could say that about S4's ending.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    deltasdeltas Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so with that ending, who expects them to hype this next season as completely changing the formula of the show and relocating and everything...

and then january comes around and jack's coming back to ctu to fight terrorists again.

goddamnit fox you can afford new writers if it means the most popular drama you've ever fucking had doesn't go down the shitter in ratings

deltas on
    2b1cae4d81b80fa87fa61a9e1edb788b.gif
  • Options
    senor_xsenor_x Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was hoping the final scene would be Jack waking up in a Chinese prison, and the past 23 hours was just him hallucinating while being tortured - and thus a proper Day 6 would commence.

senor_x on
    Senor10.gif Wii 1490 9129 8407 5923
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FUCK! I missed it!

frustrated.jpg

Lucky Cynic on