As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I found a resistance band today that I didn't know we had. It's not a set of weights, but it should do for now at least.

So, what can I do with this thing?

Flay on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Quite honestly anything you can do with a resistance band can be done better with a body weight variation.

I have no idea what type of shape you are in however so the band might be a good start.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    So RDM, if I would come up for a meet, you gonna pick me up from the airport and gimme a place to crash? ^_^

Because that would be stellar

The airport = definitely yes, me or Rory for sure.

As for a place to crash, if there is a spot in my basement then yes absolutely, we're in the middle of renos however so it will depend on whether or not that bit is available.

If my place isn't available, I can always make some calls and see if the track house near the UofM campus is still a thing.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Quite honestly anything you can do with a resistance band can be done better with a body weight variation.

I have no idea what type of shape you are in however so the band might be a good start.

Are hills good training with bands?

hectorse on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, bigmen, I need more injury-related advice. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Something's up with my lower back. It's always gotten a little sore after squat and bench (from arching my back on the bench) and sometimes after military press (if I lean back a lot) and deadlift, although not so much those. I don't want it to get worse.

I feel a dull ache somewhere around the top of my sacrum (S2 would be my best guess). It doesn't feel like I've pulled anything, it's not sharp and it radiates a little bit around to the side of my hip. I'm wondering if it could be related to bad posture or tight hips, and what I can do other than rest it. Strengthening my back doesn't seem to have helped- my deadlift is up 100 lbs but I still feel it when I bench. I also feel it when bring my hips forward past neutral, but clenching my ass seems to stabilise it and stop the pain/discomfort.

Related: can someone link me to a good ~10 min stretching routine for post-workout? Thanks!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How strong are your hamstrings? If it seems to go away when you clench the glutes, your weak point may be the lower posterior chain: glutes & hamstrings. Or you may be doing "butt wink" on the squats:

This is a good example.

Squat Rx #1

Try working on some hamstring curls and glute-ham raises. I won't recommend straight-leg deadlifts until the pain goes away.

Post workout, try myofascial release techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Qw4aAFdbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0N9VjcXFEM&feature=channel

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well guys, if you haven't heard Minnesota is in the midst of snowmageddon, and I'd just like to say that pushing your dad's car two blocks is a great substitute for the gym. Also a great gauge for whether or not you need more cardio.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, that snowmageddon is hitting is in WI as well right now.

I can't wait to move to NC

hectorse wrote: »

Are hills good training with bands?

As in sprinting a hill while using a band? No that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I may be reading this like an idiot though because this is the second year in a row that I've been nailed with strep in december during the first major snow storm. I have a fever and a throat sore as all hell.

However this explains my horrible lifting session earlier. 2 hours after I lifted is when the sore throat hit like a SOB followed by a massive runny nose and the chills.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Linksville on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What a trainwreck.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I haven't posted here in a while. I'm also a horrible, horrible tiny bigman, that hasn't really managed to get above 70kg on my squat yet (despite working out on/off for a year). Oh well, at least I'm doing well at losing weight now. Got a few kilos to go, then it's bulk time (hopefully in january) and time for me to get over my psychological squat-block and start being a real bigman.

Fuck yes.

Rant over.

Rasmus on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Damn, that guy had to be hurting. Catching probably 50/60lbs on the chin.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anybody else read this and have an opinion? It'll be a while before I can spend that kind of time in the gym but I've had it in mind for a while that I'd like to try a new program sometime as a break when I get a chance and that one looks decent.

Peen on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like a buttload of volume, that's for sure.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Damn, that guy had to be hurting. Catching probably 50/60lbs on the chin.

i've hit myself with 45 lb plates in the chin before, that looked incredibly painful

like more painful than powercleaning 225 into your throat

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »

Yeah. I'll be honest, I like focusing on the major lifts because of the bang you get for your buck but I kind of miss more volume. I get to the end of my workout and part of me's like oh, that's it? I've never done a program with quite that kind of volume but I'd kind of like to try it.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »

Yeah. I'll be honest, I like focusing on the major lifts because of the bang you get for your buck but I kind of miss more volume. I get to the end of my workout and part of me's like oh, that's it? I've never done a program with quite that kind of volume but I'd kind of like to try it.

Keep in mind the article itself says it's a physique Program and not a strength or power one.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I know, I was trying to soft peddle that. This thread's culture is such that I don't want to bring up muscle building, it's all strength all the time baby. Really I just wanted folks to look it over for exercise selection and balance; from what I understand of program building it looks good but it never hurts to get a second opinion.

Peen on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing that isn't brought up a lot in this thread or others is once you get past a certain level, you need to figure out which programs and styles you respond to. If you're past the beginner stage and into intermediate, you can definitely start noticing differences in how you respond to different programs.

Personally, I can handle more volume than my training partner on certain lifts. I can do heavy shoulder work and extra assistance on the shoulders and I don't have any problems at all with it. If he does that, he starts getting shoulder problems in a couple of weeks. But I always gas out on upper back and arms way before he does. And I can usually do a lot of lower body volume work.

Just figure out what works best for you and work on coming up with a training program that works to your strengths and how you recover.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I know, I was trying to soft peddle that. This thread's culture is such that I don't want to bring up muscle building, it's all strength all the time baby. Really I just wanted folks to look it over for exercise selection and balance; from what I understand of program building it looks good but it never hurts to get a second opinion.

Yea I wasn't trying to be negative or anything, just so we're clear. Looking how you want to look is just as important as anything else. Just making sure it was in line with the goals you wanted to achieve!

:D

Once I thin up I'll probably do a few rounds of body sculpting routines to get to how I want to look.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yea I wasn't trying to be negative or anything, just so we're clear. Looking how you want to look is just as important as anything else. Just making sure it was in line with the goals you wanted to achieve!

:D

Once I thin up I'll probably do a few rounds of body sculpting routines to get to how I want to look.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to look better/ body sculpt.

duck has a killer body and may be able to help out there. I have a low bf/balanced body simply because i enjoy torture

Jyardana on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    The only suggestion I have when it comes to bodybuilding is to flex in front of a mirror a lot. And no, I'm not kidding.

EDIT - I look p. bad right now, though. I've been doing 5-3-1 religiously and eating well, so I have some handles back. Gonna switch to a mix of strength training and bodybuilding in January and see how it goes.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I'll ever look like duck or you other athletic guys, I'd just like to try a new kind of thing and see what happens. Maybe put together a little bit of a beach body.

Peen on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All my assistance work for 5/3/1 is hypertrophy range. And I keep body parts to the day of the core lift, just like bodybuilders do. My hope is that I'm getting a decent amount of both strength and hypertrophy going on.

My routine is not quite as long as the one in the link, but I can post it if you're interested.

Gork on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nothing wrong with wanting to look good, everybody does. Just how to get there. I think that someone with a 350# bench press, 600# deadlift, who can do 20 pull-ups will look pretty good with their shirt off, so I am looking to get a 350# bench, 600# deadlift, and 20 pull-ups and am confident the rest will take care of itself. Other people think there are other, better ways to get there. Just minor details - every one ought to agree that squats, benches, deadlifts, and pull-ups/rows should be involved, and that eating healthy food makes low body fat happen. I like getting a pump in the arms as much as anyone, though. Lately, I've been finishing off every other workout day with "running the rack" on the cable machine. I start at 120#, max reps cable tricep pushdowns, immediately into max reps cable curls, immediately repeat the superset with 100#, then 80#, then 60#. With no rest, the pump in the arms gets downright painful. It is actually a problem since I do it at the end of the workout, and then have to drive home, and I can barely bend my arms to work the steering wheel.

big l on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, my body is just fighting the lifting recently. First I hurt my wrist doing cleans (it feels fine now), then I can't do bench because the front of my shoulder hurts like a bitch for some reason. Stupid fleshy human form.

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really glad I took that 3 months away from lifting and started at the very beginning again. All the stuff I learned after doing things the wrong way is helping me a lot, I also can't believe some of the stupid stuff I did last time, while wondering why I wasn't getting the results I wanted.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Greetings bigmen. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been lifting for about 12 months. So far I've managed to lose an amount of body fat, I'm not sure how much, and about 5kg while getting stronger. That puts me at 172cm/73kg (~5'7"/160lb for non-metric readers). I'm getting tired of dieting so in the new year I've decided to start bulking for a while, hopefully not bringing too much fat along for the ride.

Just want to say that the regulars here in the bigman thread have been an inspiration and motivation since I discovered it a few months ago, thank you.

jklong on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010
    Welp, 4 months ago I circled today as an important test in strength gains because it's the 4th 1+ day for my press, and I completely failed. I think I'm gonna spend some time rebuilding my form, because I think it's that and not muscle that's the issue.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ha, I forgot to bring a change of socks.

Guess who's gonna be deadlifting with chucks and black dress socks today?

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ten bucks says the dress socks get torn

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the new post over at 70's big reminded me of cel

and i realized i'd not seen her post in a while

hope you're getting closer to your goals!

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    another good day at the gym. Deadlifts up to 295lbs for 3x5. My back is starting to feel it though, I have to concentrate really hard on good form. any good exercises to strengthen the lower back? I already do reverse sit ups on the machine.

Also lost another 5lbs, down to 315. think I might do some hiking on my days off to speed of the calorie loss. Trying to hit 300 by the new year.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looking good mis all good and dandy except it's motherfucking cold outside right now, so who cares.

I want to look awesome, but I want to also move a heavy ass weight with my body, which is why I set myself arbitrary lifting goals during my bulking phases. Then it's cutting time baby.

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think I may have strained a muscle in my shoulder when I was pushing my dad's car. How does one fix that bigmen?

Invincible on

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Push smaller cars?

King Nada on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jklong wrote: »
    Greetings bigmen. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been lifting for about 12 months. So far I've managed to lose an amount of body fat, I'm not sure how much, and about 5kg while getting stronger. That puts me at 172cm/73kg (~5'7"/160lb for non-metric readers). I'm getting tired of dieting so in the new year I've decided to start bulking for a while, hopefully not bringing too much fat along for the ride.

Just want to say that the regulars here in the bigman thread have been an inspiration and motivation since I discovered it a few months ago, thank you.

Good work dude. You should post more.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok bigmen I don't know if this is the best place to ask this but here we go.

Do any of you guys work on your abs alone?
    Any good exercises?
    I've been doing abut 8 different exercises to hit the different ab groups. And it actually works reasonably well, but I want better.

Jordanthehutt on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do abs 3 or so times a week. Always weighted.

Side bends, swiss ball crunches, laying and hanging leg raises, standing crunches with a rope pulley, decline situps...

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'll toss out one of the standard answers and say that nothing works my abs like heavy squats and deadlifts. Nothing. So, ya know, make sure you're doing them.

Peen on
This discussion has been closed.