As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Get Our Jokes Published in Pluggers

MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Social Entropy++
I recently started to read the humor blog Comic Curmudgeon and have greatly enjoyed his daily takes on terrible American printed comic strips. I recommend reading the archives for Family Circus and Funky Winklebean. While reading I discovered some comics I've never come across in the local paper's funnies. One of those comics is Pluggers.

A brief history of the strip basically boils down to some jerks at newsweek wanted to make a comic that satirized middle class culture in America because of course they did. They eventually got bored and gave the project to current cartoonist Gary Brookins who immediately opened up the strip to open suggestions from the public and apparently there is now a steady and devoted fan base. Here are some comics that I hope capture a sort of zeitgeist the comic encapsulates.

pluggers-20100227cpplc-a.jpg
pluggers-20101129cpplc-a.jpg
pluggers-20091106cpplc-a.jpg
pluggers-20100413cpplc-a.jpg
i101019pluggers.gif
pluggers-20100827cpplc-a.jpg

So I know SE++ has a ton of writers and other such creative people and I propose a little game. Upon studying the strip I am utterly convinced that one can learn the rules of how to form a pluggers joke. The mission, if you choose to accept it, is conceive jokes that are Plugger-esque, send them Mr. Brookins, get them published, and bask in the glory of your printed name. And while it is easy to parody the content of Pluggers (no doy!) to actually get printed you first must learn the ways of a Plugger. Which considering this place will take a real stretch of the imagination.

i101007puggers.gif

The best part is if your idea gets turned into a comic you receive the signed original from the artist so that you can prominently display for others. (Or hide away in constant shame. It is really your call.) But more so every single idea gets a letter from the artist giving you feedback on your creative offerings so you will know how close to Plugger-perfection you came.

Speaking of you can write to the guy at this address in case you missed it on all those strips.

P.O Box 29347
Henrico, VA. 23242

You can also email him at pluggersmail@aol.com. But I'm going to guess that he is incredibly suspicious of anyone who can use a computer or has a mailing address from outside the midwest.

So get cracking. Brief inky fame favors those who act! Here are some ideas to begin to create your Plugger jests

"Pluggers are old and dislike new things"
"Pluggers are lazy"
"Pluggers dislike any form of cultural elitism"
"Pluggers' readers probably have dozens of strips on their refrigerators."

So like here is an idea.

There is a weird Rhino-person looking at a scrapbook and the caption underneath says "The only "facebook" a Plugger knows."

Boom there you go I bet that is a winner right there. But I'm sure that one has probably been done. I'll let you know when I get through the Plugger archives.

sig1.jpg
Monkeyfeet on

• Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you mean, like "what does a plugger call a prostitute with a runny nose?"
    full

?

somebody draw that plz.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "Honey, why is that negro allowed outside without supervision?"

"A Plugger respects traditional values."

Am...am I doing this right?

LTM on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so

basically what you're saying here is

you want us to "raid" the plugger comic

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    so

basically what you're saying here is

you want us to "raid" the plugger comic

No. I'm saying we should honestly contribute to it and see if we can match their ideals. Acknowledging it is just a "you know you're a redneck when..." setup to copy.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what the eff

Depressperado on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    everyone's jokes suck, no more joke threads ever

Orikaeshigitae on
This discussion has been closed.