As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Upgrading -VERY- old PC, where to start?

2»

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll have to check my supply of old PC parts. I actually think I have my old 775 HSF, with the thermal paste they put on at the factory still on it (I bought an aftermarket, it's never been used).

Pirusu on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If your mobo is still kicking and you want to keep it, I might have a P4 3.0Ghz CPU to send your way. Two maybe, just in case. I got 3 for free awhile back, I need to check if it's the same slot though. I might have a PCI card as well. I'll take a look and let you know, they'd be free if you could cover shipping or something equivalent.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    If your mobo is still kicking and you want to keep it, I might have a P4 3.0Ghz CPU to send your way. Two maybe, just in case. I got 3 for free awhile back, I need to check if it's the same slot though. I might have a PCI card as well. I'll take a look and let you know, they'd be free if you could cover shipping or something equivalent.

If they're 3.0 exactly, check the bus/socket. The 3.0 is 800FSB, Socket 775. My board is socket 478 and only supports 400/533 bus. Not that I couldn't still put it to use, eventually, but you may be better off just selling it somewhere else.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I got two 512MB sticks of Corsair 533 MHz DDR2. I thought he had more, but that's all I can scrounge.

So I'll fire off the CPU, video card and RAM, let me know in here if you want the CPU heatsink too.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guess what I got back yesterday?

Fucking useless postal service. So much for Christmas, you pack of dogs.

So I fired 'em off again, registered-post airmail style. If they don't get to you this time, the Australian Federal Police will hunt down the postie responsible and eviscerate him.

You can punch this ==> RQ025007044AU into this to see where it's at.

Donovan Puppyfucker on