As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got a weird text (SOLVED LOCK PLEASE)

THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny.Real shiny.Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum

FRM: metro16@mymetropcs.com
MSG Urgent: Your Card Starting With 511165- is Frozen. Call 6269239672

I got it yesterday.

Clearly it's a scam.

I do not have any cards that start with that number and if it was that important then it would have been a phone call.

My question is, how did they get my phone number? And where did it come from?

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
THEPAIN73 on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Probably a phishing attempt that didn't necessarily have your number. Just fired it off to every number in a range and hoped for a bite.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just for your information (or anyone that is reading this) the first 4 numbers on a card are always the same based on company. So any Visa will begin with the same 4 numbers. Any Master card will begin with a different 4 numbers than visas, but all mastercards are the same. Etc.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it's just a robo-text. They just go down the list of numbers spamming texts.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They're phishing for an H&R Block Emerald MasterCard number. You know it's coming up on tax time when...

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can tell you that is a H&R block cash card that they provide to a client and load their tax monies on, I used to do fraud support for those cards and recognized the first 6 immediately. I haven't worked there for about 2 years but at the tine we did not do any texting to cardholders so I can say with a lot of confidence it is a scam.

It is possible someone used your information in filing a bogus return, saw that occasionally, so you may want to contact H&R block just to safe.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just for your information (or anyone that is reading this) the first 4 numbers on a card are always the same based on company. So any Visa will begin with the same 4 numbers. Any Master card will begin with a different 4 numbers than visas, but all mastercards are the same. Etc.

the first number on each card is the same, not the first four

MrDelish on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Technically it's a range of prefixes. ;-p (Although the wikipedia page indicates up to 6 digits are specific to the bank)

As for the actual question, I'm pretty sure Forar is correct. :)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some banks do text. Chase Texas does if your card has suspected fraud. It simply says call 1800 chase or whatever that is on the card though

useless4 on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »

the first number on each card is the same, not the first four

The first number makes it a MasterCard (4 is visa) the next 4 tell me it's H&R Block, and if they haven't changed their card numbers (doubt it) the 6th number tells me it's for tax money. They run a couple other cards with a different 6th number for the different accounts.

Just saw the call back number, 100% scam since H&R Block only uses 800 numbers for fraud/disputes. Sometimes you could be given a different number after talking to someone but that would either be Milwaukee based (414) or Madison (608).

Veevee on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well this was informative.

Thank you to everyone.

This can be locked

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You may want to contact your phone company to tell them there are scams coming from that number.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.