As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to expect?

patches.patches. Registered User regular
edited April 2006 in PAX Archive
This year will be my first PAX evar.

The closest thing to PAX that I've been to is CES in vegas and that was pretty great.

What should I expect/bring? I'm coming from Southern California by train(I think) and I dont think that's going to be too horrible cost-wise.

I read over the whole Nerf war proposal thread, and while that would've been awesome, it doesnt look like it's gonna happen. I still plan on arming myself though.. just in case..

hhhhhhh.jpg
patches. on

• Options
    Lazyboy013086Lazyboy013086 Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    what you can expect is the world's longest line to get in. I think i'm gonna jinx it by saying that we have been lucky it hasn't rained on PAX yet.

you can also expect to see a ton of people just sitting at tables all around the convention with card games(mostly CCGs) going, laptops a blazing, and handhelds adhoc-ing away. lol.

expect to see a ton of guys who look like bigger goobers than yourself with extremely cute girls. this unfair anomoly was more the case in 05 then in 04. lol.

and lastly you can expect the Nintendo booth to blow away all other booths in the Exhibition(sp) Hall. this is just a given.

Lazyboy013086 on
    I'm watching you like Celery, yeah i'm stalking...lol.
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    You can expect a veritable cornucopia of gaming genres, from CCG's to D&D, from PC to console to handheld. And if that's not your thing (and I can't imagine it's not, I mean your are here) then there are tons of booths in the exhibition room showing a variety of new & pre-released games, add a liberal topping of merch vendors (mmm...sweetkitty). Oh and don't forget the panels, there are tons of good panels to watch and if you are so inclined you can even ask a few questions. What else is there?...hmm...THE DAMN CONCERTS.....last year with MC Frontalot, MC Chris, Optimus Rhyme, The MiniBosses, The Neskimos, The Videogame Pianist and even some classical compositions done by Conney Lin.

But the best reason to come to PAX is the people, I met so many cool people over the 3 days that when it was all over I was ready for another 3 days.

So what can you expect? Joy, and fun, and joy. Oh and BAWLS too, mustn't forget the BAWLS. I also have heard a rumor that some guys named Tycho & Gabe may show up.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    What are you expecting/fearing/anticipating?

It's a gamer convention.

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    What to expect? Well, that's totally up to you. If I started talking about my PAX experiences and somebody else told their story, it wouldn't be the same.

Sure, if the two of us were talking to each other, we might point out some similarities and remember some bitching moments, like the Karaoke Revolution round of the OMEGATHON, or listening to Gabe talk about what Tycho does in Nintendogs, or watching some guy miraculously throw a fake item box RIGHT ON TOP of another guy during the Mario Kart: Double Dash tournament.

PAX is whatever you make of it. Like me, perhaps you'll decide to keep your nose in the brochures, your eyes on the schedule and committing yourself to scheduled events (tournaments, panels, conerts), combined with some general walking around, awesome freeplay and getting food whenever you have time inbetween events.
    Perhaps you'll meet a group of people in line and hang out with them the entire time while not necessarily keeping a schedule, but just having fun and then hitting parties at night.
    Perhaps you'll spend your entire weekend in a console/tabletop/BYOC/exhibition/concert/freeplay room and have fun on your own terms.
    Who knows? Maybe you'll choose to Enforce the entire time, or stalk Gabe, or become a cosplaying legend, or hand out deoderant to everybody who enters, or try to take pictures of as many forumers as you can, or ,as many of us wish.....nay, dream to do, compete in the OMEGATHON (assuming there'll be one this year).

PAX is whatever you make of it, my friend. And together, we have all made it oustanding.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Going just from the last few posts, I'm already getting excited for it.

And since I'm a freelance writer for a gaming website(Not going to plug it XP) I'm going to get free registration.

I've never actually had Bawls. I was going to buy a case off of thinkgeek to try it out, but I never got around to it.

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2006
    expect a stench to high heaven and lots of people raving about a drink that is not good at all (bawls)

also expect to have a delightful time wandering around hotel room parties and doin' it up right

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    and lots of people raving about a drink that is not good at all (bawls)

Expect to see a bunch of people maim borface for saying such a blasphmeous thing.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    BigRed wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    and lots of people raving about a drink that is not good at all (bawls)

Expect to see a bunch of people maim borface for saying such a blasphmeous thing.

What is it with people who dislike 'borface' and not being able to spell his name?

Is it on purpose or something? Some stupid joke?
    patches. wrote:
    And since I'm a freelance writer for a gaming website(Not going to plug it XP) I'm going to get free registration.

Just remember. Media registrants aren't eligable to be in the Omegathon...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    What is it with people who dislike 'borface' and not being able to spell his name?

Is it on purpose or something? Some stupid joke?
    No they just can't spell. Apparently their dislike of Borfase renders them incapable of correct spelling.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    not only is bawls not that good, it is probably very unhealthy

Borfase on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Borfase wrote:

Kinda like alcohol, eh? :D

But I guess alcohol has that fun feeling...

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Borfase wrote:

alcohol is good for you, man

good for you

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Borfase wrote:

good for you
    I cannot argue with this man.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    Borfase wrote:

good for you
    I cannot argue with this man.

I enjoy alcohol, but I know that it isn't good for me.

Well, in a health sense, at least...

Legacy on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    As of yesterday, the VA says all of my internal organs are in perfect health.

I think my liver and pancreas are actually embalmbed at this point and are immune to damage.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    patches. wrote:

Just remember. Media registrants aren't eligable to be in the Omegathon...

Eh, I'm not the greatest gamer anyway. XP

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Half the fun of PAX is getting to PAX, and if you're coming from SoCal, you oughta try and get in on the West Coast SuperTrip.

It's a gigantic 2-day-long convoy from San Diego to Seattle, driving overnight. We're going to start planning for the '06 trip when the hotel reservation stuff comes out, so keep an eye open.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Half the fun of PAX is getting to PAX, and if you're coming from SoCal, you oughta try and get in on the West Coast SuperTrip.

It's a gigantic 2-day-long convoy from San Diego to Seattle, driving overnight. We're going to start planning for the '06 trip when the hotel reservation stuff comes out, so keep an eye open.
    That sounds great.

I skimmed over the forum for a roadtrip near me, but didnt find any. I's much prefer a roadtrip over taking the train though.

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, the WCST is the grandaddy of the PAX roadtrips. It will indeed be awesome.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Expect the Unexpected!

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Expect Excellence!

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    So far, I've got this list of things to expect:

-Long line to get in
    -Gaming of all sorts
    -Goobers
    -Goobers with cute girls
    -Exhibitor booths
    -Concerts
    -Stench
    -Bawls
    -The Omegathon
    -Roadtrips
    -The unexpeted is to be expected, along with excellence

That sounds pretty nice.

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    patches. wrote:

-Long line to get in
    -Gaming of all sorts
    -Goobers
    -Goobers with cute girls
    -Exhibitor booths
    -Concerts
    -Stench
    -Bawls
    -The Omegathon
    -Roadtrips

That sounds pretty nice.

You're forgetting the best part of PAX: The people. Everyone at PAX shares a common interest that has brought them together in this giant geekfest. It's these people that make PAX the experience that it is.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Yeah the people really are the best part, and there are so many of them! The Staff, the Guests, the Exhibitors & the PAXgoers, make the event so great. It's like having a big game/lan/music night at your house, only bigger and not at your house.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    patches. wrote:

-Long line to get in
    -Gaming of all sorts
    -Goobers
    -Goobers with cute girls
    -Exhibitor booths
    -Concerts
    -Stench
    -Bawls
    -The Omegathon
    -Roadtrips
    Every time I read this list, I keep thinking to myself "Oh, there is one thing missing..." but then I look over the list again and find it. Yup, you've got it.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    -Long line
    FUCK YEAH!
    -Gaming
    FUCK YEAH!
    -Goobers
    FUCK YEAH!
    -Goobers with cute girls
    (uh, fuck yeah! Fuck yeah!)
    -Exhibitors
    FUCK YEAH!
    -Concerts
    FUCK YEAH!

-Stench
    -Bawls
    Omegathon...

FUCK YEAH!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    The "long line to get in" thing is really not bad. Once they start letting people in, it's all like "fwoosh."

Doc on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    yeah you are going to get a long line at any good event, you can always wait until later in the morning if you are really worried about it. Besides this line was pretty quick, I mean if you compared to the '04 line this one was heaven. Badges made everything so much smoother.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    arithenaarithena Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Be expecting another plush creation. This one I have planned will be lots of work, but if all goes to plan, it will be the best one yet!

previous plushes and most recent creation documented:
    http://tkproject.livejournal.com

arithena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EskoEsko Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    arithena wrote:
    Be expecting another plush creation. This one I have planned will be lots of work, but if all goes to plan, it will be the best one yet!

previous plushes and most recent creation documented:
    http://tkproject.livejournal.com

very nice....my current project involves a metal Fruit Fucker 2000. I'm about to start drawing up the plans and scoping for what materials to use....i too will include lights but it wont be working...wouldnt want to unleash that kind of chaos... :)

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    fully there will be another Nerf war. :twisted:

Nephirij on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Hmmm...yes, I suppose the '05 line to get in wasn't bad because of the badges. But what about the lines for getting concert passes? They were fair in length.

But then again, I guess when they started handing out the passes, the line went fairly quickly.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Are there any perks for media passes besides the free registration?

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    man, I am entirely foregoing the concerts this year. Last year I went and while yes, they were fun, they were a very very poor substitute for hanging out with friends I only get to see once a year.

arithena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Depending on whos there this year I may skip the concerts, since ive already seen MC Frontalot and the Minibosses the past two years... Then again it also depends on what other stuff is going on at the time of the concerts... I skipped the friday concert last year to hit the Turbine Party, free booze is always awesome...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Yeah. The concerts will be on the DVDs anyway, so hit up the real social interaction after hours! Boozing it up with friends is much better!

arithena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Better than the Front? I'm going to disagree with you there. Oh, if only I could have seen how much I smiled at last year's concert.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    I had an absolute BLAST at the concerts last year. Not only was it great fun, but it introduced me to MC Front and really, as soon as I have freely spendable money I am going to get as much of his music as possible. I was up in the very front dancing away! I walked out of there just about to drop dead from exhaustion from having so much fun, but dammit, after all had been said and done? I wish I had spent that time with my friends.

arithena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    http://frontalot.com/music.html

There you go, most of his songs are there for free.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    rock

arithena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]