Options

[chat]man John (Ski Ba Bop Bup Dop Bop)

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Take that squirrel... or should I say... Corbius!

We're talking about actions for catharsis, not sexual arousal.

desc on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad you admitted fault Farty, that bizarre chat discussion was going on for far too long

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man Carthoris isn't a myth, he was the son of John Carter and Deja Thoris.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    But it has nothing at all to do with the definition of it. That must be local to your language in that case.

It is obviously a completely wrong thing to use the word for.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think people genuinely feel pain and can experience abuse no matter their color, religion, sexual orientation, or social status.

I am absolutely offended by people who go through life believing that being in the majority of any one of those groups precludes them from pain, and that it is somehow not real.

There are people on this very forum that would, if made to tell the truth, look you dead in the eye and tell you a rich person experiencing grief is whining and that their money saves them from everything.

There are people on this very forum that would, if made to tell the truth, look you dead in the eye and tell you that you can't possibly experience religious persecution as a Christian in America and if you even dare to claim it, you are a Fox News radical.

Majorities and Wealth do not prevent you from experiencing fucked up shit. Being in a majority does not necessarily mean you grew up taking the advantages of that majority.

That's why I get so pissed off at people here who hand wave and dismiss something if it doesn't fit their narrowminded view of the world.

Yes, progressive liberals can be narrowminded!

Every time one of you makes a joke about how useless the South is, how unredeemable it is, how we may even deserve something terrible happen to us, it makes me so angry I want to spit.

True empathy is empathy for -everyone-.

Ludious on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn, mind expanding on the problems between trans and feminist communities as you see them?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Shakesville is like the biggest safe space on the Internet.

Everything is trigger warning'd. Not just like [TW for rape] but like

TW for Christian supremacy

TW for gender essentialism

TW for a video of people laughing and dancing

I'm not making any of those up. None of those are an exaggeration.

Making fun of John Boehner, the Republican leader guy's last name, is verboten, because Shakesville has had millions of visitors and one of them might have had the name Boehner and they might get hurt feelings.

Being a man and asking questions is prohibited, you are required to do a large amount of backreading and you must identify as an ally and etc etc etc

I mean

It's a little ridiculous

Oh. I see.

I mean. Wow. I uh, don't even understand how one could be triggered by gender essentialism.

Yes. I think I'll just stick with "wow."

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel bad when I insult feminists or feminist circles to non-feminists. I feel like I'm an ambassador for the feminist movement. I feel like the feminist movement is like an aunt that's been very dear to me in the past and is still close to me but is also FUCKING INSANE sometimes and don't you dare make fun of her (but I need to vent oh god)

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    you introduced me to the concept of mansplaining

I like you

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Shakesville is like the biggest safe space on the Internet.

Everything is trigger warning'd. Not just like [TW for rape] but like

TW for Christian supremacy

TW for gender essentialism

TW for a video of people laughing and dancing

I'm not making any of those up. None of those are an exaggeration.

Making fun of John Boehner, the Republican leader guy's last name, is verboten, because Shakesville has had millions of visitors and one of them might have had the name Boehner and they might get hurt feelings.

Being a man and asking questions is prohibited, you are required to do a large amount of backreading and you must identify as an ally and etc etc etc

I mean

It's a little ridiculous

woooooo thoughtcrime ahoy!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    But it has nothing at all to do with the definition of it. That must be local to your language in that case.

I am agreeing with you. Trailer trash catharsis = punching pillows thinking it is some kind of meaningful long-term therapy, because psychologists decided to co-opt the word, much in the same way Tea Partiers co-opted the word "freedom" and made it mean something completely different.

("trailer trash" meaning something to be ridiculed and laughed at)

((yeah that's right i went there white boys))

Eddy on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am wary of anyone who espouses a cause

and absolutists

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    man, i do not feel like going out tonight.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jake I'd ask you to stop raping me with your mind, but at this point I enjoy it like the dirty slut I am.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    did i miss feminist chat?

darn

anyways, the D&D paxeast meetup thread is up.

hope to see you smelly neckbeards reserve a spot.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I like you

what is mansplaining

this seems like a term i should know

and most likely choff at

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    huh is pax happening that close to dragon age's release date

welp have fun guys

Elendil on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    apples to apples time, [chat]

www.nutsybolts.com/invite.php/46133/wang

please play, it's taking longer and longer to come up with Wang room names

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How does one identify as an ally

are there badges

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am wary of anyone who espouses a cause

and absolutists

We need to force people to take tolerance classes. /spielberg

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

I am agreeing with you. Trailer trash catharsis = punching pillows thinking it is some kind of meaningful long-term therapy, because psychologists decided to co-opt the word, much in the same way Tea Partiers co-opted the word "freedom" and made it mean something completely different.

("trailer trash" meaning something to be ridiculed and laughed at)

((yeah that's right i went there white boys))

Ah sorry, cool then. :D

Honk on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »

are there badges

Ascots.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »

are there badges

badges denotes rank

rank is a patriarchal ideal.

Levels should be abolished from rpgs.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    did i miss feminist chat?

darn

anyways, the D&D paxeast meetup thread is up.

hope to see you smelly neckbeards reserve a spot.

Yeah I always like signing up to be judged by will, it was the best when I played tf2 on the xbox with him, or I should say against him and the super team he made to specifically kill me.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No problem honk...y

Eddy on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gooey wrote: »

I like you

what is mansplaining

and most likely choff at

Okay the origin of mansplaining is when you, as a woman, try to explain something to a man, and he doesn't listen to you, but when a man explains the exact same thing to him he suddenly gets it. Basically, men who don't listen to women but they'll listen to a man 'mansplain' it to him because somehow it makes more sense to him (inherent sexism)

I think that's all well and good.

Mansplaining has devolved, in the feminist blogosphere to OOOOH LOOK YOU'RE A MAN AND YOU THINK YOUR OPINIONS ARE SOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN OURS YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO DOMINATE THE CONVERSATION AND IGNORE ALL OF THE PREVIOUS RESPONSES

and to the especially crazy

it's any instance of a man explaining something to a woman

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel bad when I insult feminists or feminist circles to non-feminists. I feel like I'm an ambassador for the feminist movement. I feel like the feminist movement is like an aunt that's been very dear to me in the past and is still close to me but is also FUCKING INSANE sometimes and don't you dare make fun of her (but I need to vent oh god)

This is the best description of a movement you still fundamentally agree with but abandoned for the crazy. Whenever mine come up, I will in your honor proclaim that I am done defending my crazy aunt, but please stop making fun of her.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    No problem honk...y

:wink:

Honk on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gooey wrote: »

I like you

what is mansplaining

and most likely choff at

Okay the origin of mansplaining is when you, as a woman, try to explain something to a man, and he doesn't listen to you, but when a man explains the exact same thing to him he suddenly gets it. Basically, men who don't listen to women but they'll listen to a man 'mansplain' it to him because somehow it makes more sense to him (inherent sexism)

I think that's all well and good.

Mansplaining has devolved, in the feminist blogosphere to OOOOH LOOK YOU'RE A MAN AND YOU THINK YOUR OPINIONS ARE SOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN OURS YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO DOMINATE THE CONVERSATION AND IGNORE ALL OF THE PREVIOUS RESPONSES

and to the especially crazy

it's any instance of a man explaining something to a woman

haha awesome

just as awesome as i thought it would be

alternatively:

I don't get it.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think for some rad-fems, their relationship with feminism is less "crazy aunt" and more "abusive spouse" that they remain loyal to out of fear and a lack of self-esteem and affection for their positive qualities.

Pony on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    I think people genuinely feel pain and can experience abuse no matter their color, religion, sexual orientation, or social status.

I am absolutely offended by people who go through life believing that being in the majority of any one of those groups precludes them from pain, and that it is somehow not real.

There are people on this very forum that would, if made to tell the truth, look you dead in the eye and tell you a rich person experiencing grief is whining and that their money saves them from everything.

There are people on this very forum that would, if made to tell the truth, look you dead in the eye and tell you that you can't possibly experience religious persecution as a Christian in America and if you even dare to claim it, you are a Fox News radical.

Majorities and Wealth do not prevent you from experiencing fucked up shit. Being in a majority does not necessarily mean you grew up taking the advantages of that majority.

That's why I get so pissed off at people here who hand wave and dismiss something if it doesn't fit their narrowminded view of the world.

Yes, progressive liberals can be narrowminded!

Every time one of you makes a joke about how useless the South is, how unredeemable it is, how we may even deserve something terrible happen to us, it makes me so angry I want to spit.

True empathy is empathy for -everyone-.

I agree

But I do maintain that it's important to distinguish between this -- people's genuine and personal claims of injustice (and again, I apologize Lud for being belittling -- you're right it was an asshole move) and people using an equivocating tactic.

The problem I encountered is when one person does the latter, sometimes one can get emotional and end up lumping the former in with it.

That is, when someone says something stupid like "hey you're being racist towards whites" when you make a completely innocuous comment -- that is wrong. And it comes from a suspect place, with suspect intent. But also wrong is to go "I don't care about racism towards whites" instead of "you're using a discriminatory tactic to equivocate suffering to justify whatever your ill motives are." And that's what I did, even though I shouldn't have.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »

I think for some rad-fems, their relationship with feminism is less "crazy aunt" and more "abusive spouse" that they remain loyal to out of fear and a lack of self-esteem and affection for their positive qualities.

And for yet others, they just nuts

Eddy on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A lot of modern feminism is like Fightclub. I love the material but I can't stand the fans.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

welp have fun guys

I want to love Dragon Age so much, but I don't think I'm understanding the combat. Oh well.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Shivahn, mind expanding on the problems between trans and feminist communities as you see them?

Well, the primary thing I'm thinking of are the overt dismissal of trans women as "real" women, which I know isn't a universal feminist tenet, but has become entrenched in several schools of thought. This leads to a lot of backlash among trans people. I have met trans people who are hesitant to identify as feminists because of it, and I think that's ultimately harmful to both movements.

There's also sometimes pressure to exclude trans women from women only spaces. The whole "womyn-born-womyn" thing. This includes even post-op women sometimes, which is frankly absurd. Though I will say that the exclusion of pre- or non- op trans women is just about equally as absurd, given that anyone who is read as female constantly has something in common with, and to add to, other women and their feminism, and the exclusion of them often seems to be more of a knee-jerk othering than anything with real reason.

This of course is not just harmful to the movement (as trans women provide somewhat unique viewpoints that are worth hearing) but is extremely (obviously) transphobic, which leads to further rifts and is a problem in and of itself.

This leads to what I believe are all sorts of inconsistencies and less-than-savory viewpoints being held, but that's all dependent upon individual views than reflective of the movements as wholes.

Sorry if any of this is undeveloped, I had links, but my computer's been formatted about ten times in the last two months so I don't have many specific examples at the moment.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    come on

apples to apples

right here

www.nutsybolts.com/invite.php/46133/wang

for all to enjoy

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »

welp have fun guys

I want to love Dragon Age so much, but I don't think I'm understanding the combat. Oh well.

Second game at least on the xbox is supposed to play a lot better.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »

oh my god this is ridiculous you're ridiculous

i am throwing up my hands and insisting we go down to the basement to play gamecube while my aunt takes another vicoden and starts yelling about how men are pigs and she's not wearing a bra and oh my god you can see everything this is so embarassing

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually refuse to identify as a feminist, despite the fact that the majority of my views on gender issues and sexism and equality and the like are pretty much in alignment with what can be considered modern moderate feminism.

Because that term has issues with it, that label causes more arguments than it easily identifies a person's views, and because it's actually very common to run into women who insist men can't be feminists.

That they are, at best, feminist allies.

But I don't use that term either, for two reasons. One is that it is just as diluted, argument-inducing, and vague as calling oneself a feminist, and the other is that every single man I have ever met without exception who earnestly refers to himself as a feminist ally has been a snivelling douchebag NiceGuy who basically in it for the angry pussy.

and fuck those people, bro

Pony on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

welp have fun guys

Second game at least on the xbox is supposed to play a lot better.

Oh - I do have it on the XBox, does it play much better on other systems?

Nova_C on
This discussion has been closed.