As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games ease pain

cheezwizz2000cheezwizz2000 Registered User new member
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
I don't know how many people are aware of this, but I found this while procrastinating at work and thought "who better to appreciate this than the guys at Penny Arcade". So check this out:

Easing pain for burns victims using virtual reality.

Cool, huh?

Edit: Are there any other stories like this? Better question: Anyone have any experience of this or anything similar? I know this post really doesn't have much more than a "hey look at this", but it's kind of an important leap forward for pain management, rather than a picture of a cat with a melon on its head.

cheezwizz2000 on

• Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I saw this today (also while procrastonating at work) and I think it's pretty smart and actually seems like it makes a lot of sense. It seems almost too obvious to work, but a snowy, icy enviroment in VR to distract the mind from burns pain? Makes a lot of sense to me.

I've recently suffered really badly with an abcsess in my gum and the pain was rediculously intense. To the point where taking pain killers did next to nothing. But I found that if I took pain killers and then played a videogame that required my concentration (in this case it was Counter-Strike source with some friends of mine) I forgot about the pain, forgot about the painkillers, stopped waiting for them to work and eventually I wasn't in any pain before I even realised it.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thats really cool. I know there have been times when I'm playing a 'snow level' in a game and felt chilly.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    thought, mood, and imagination definitely have a huge impact on pain because of the way that the brain's pain pathways are wired up

which is another reason why child's play is so rad:

it isn't just a nice thing to do, it isn't just a way to give kids a method to pass the time while they're stuck in the hospital so they don't have to obsess over their problems

you give that kid a game and you're literally making them hurt less by cheering them up

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I imagine it has also something to do with taking your attention away from what occupies your mind.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apparently a large amount of pain reaction is down to pain related anxiety.

people who are allergic to anesthetics and the like are often just given lots of mood calming drugs and anti anxieties and nothing else, and it has nearly the same effect.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg