Options

Swedish [chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Ironically, by Daxon's own schema, if someone were to take a tire-iron to him after sitting through one too many tendentious lectures he'd have no right to ask for sympathy.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    You guys spot Egypt based on the Suez Canal and its border with Israel? Am I the only one who just finds the Nile on a map?

I just find Egypt on the map.

Echo on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hope that I have time to update my blog today. I have important bacon news.

Also, I see where Daxon is coming from. If you lot actually don't look down on people who inflict terrible illnesses on themselves then you're either saints or liars.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    I believe everyone deserves sympathy

Meh, I'm alright with you guys thinking I'm an asshole. I believe we're all in control of our lives and that if you continually make poor decisions regarding your health there's nobody blame but yourself.

So why should you get my sympathy?

A guy who climbs up a kilometer high flat cliff wall with no safeties, missteps and plummets to his death is sad. Then again, the guy was fucking stupid - the people who get my sympathy is the people who he may have left behind (like family).

jacob: Uh, no. Assault is never justifiable.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    You guys spot Egypt based on the Suez Canal and its border with Israel? Am I the only one who just finds the Nile on a map?

Yeah seriously. It's the upper right corner of Africa. Mega-easy.

Most of the Nile isn't in Egypt IIRC so that's a bit inaccurate.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yes. Top right of Africa - Egypt.

DONE

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Also, I see where Daxon is coming from. If you lot actually don't look down on people who inflict terrible illnesses on themselves then you're either saints or liars.

I don't actually find basic human decency all that complicated.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

Meh, I'm alright with you guys thinking I'm an asshole. I believe we're all in control of our lives and that if you continually make poor decisions regarding your health there's nobody blame but yourself.

A guy who climbs up a kilometer high flat cliff wall with no safeties, missteps and plummets to his death is sad. Then again, the guy was fucking stupid - the people who get my sympathy is the people who he may have left behind (like family).

because it sucks when bad things happen to people

also there are so many reasons a person might make any decision that I find it ridiculous to think you can derive so much from details about a person. like whether you should care about them or not. I think it's ludicrous.

but maybe you don't have as much sympathy as a normal person, in that case I get why you need to ration it out only to the people that are directly fucked by fate as opposed to when it's roundabout

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I can think they fucked up

and that they brought it on themselves

and also that no one deserves to deal with that shit

I'm capable of feeling all of that at once

I feel bad for criminals, even guilty ones, for ending up in jail. doesn't mean I don't think they deserve it but I'd much rather no one be in jail, or I should say no one needing to be put in jail.

Variable on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

few people don't make mistakes in their lives.

its likely that people who didn't make poor decisions regarding their health made poor decisions in their career or in their relationships or in any other number of things human beings can continually fuck up.

your choice is to either never have any sympathy or have sympathy for everyone.

that or you could make the poor choice of deluding yourself.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I can think they fucked up

and that they brought it on themselves

and also that no one deserves to deal with that shit

I'm capable of feeling all of that at once

I feel bad for criminals, even guilty ones, for ending up in jail. doesn't mean I don't think they deserve it but I'd much rather no one be in jail, or I should say no one needing to be put in jail.
    Okay, that is just strange.

I understand it sucks to be jail and that no sane person wants to be there, but I don't feel bad for somebody who does something terrible in the full knowledge that if they are caught they will spend a good chunk of their life in that situation.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

because it sucks when bad things happen to people

also there are so many reasons a person might make any decision that I find it ridiculous to think you can derive so much from details about a person. like whether you should care about them or not. I think it's ludicrous.

but maybe you don't have as much sympathy as a normal person, in that case I get why you need to ration it out only to the people that are directly fucked by fate as opposed to when it's roundabout

Caring is not sympathy for me. I care about the person, I want them to be healthy and feel better - for that medications and dietary advice can be given (or whatever is relevant really).

But if someone doesn't really take the advice and relies on the medication or is dodgy about taking the medication as well - I will not have any sympathy for their plight. I will continually try to convince them to follow the advice and whatnot, but you really deserve no sympathy when you refuse to listen or attempt to change.

Healthcare is not a one-stop shop to getting better - often you will be required to make changes to your life as well, and very few people are willing to do that.

Daxon on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

What if I'm both?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    alright maybe I'm misunderstanding how you mean the term then

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I think it's more likely that he's misunderstanding the term itself

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    man, trans fats are scary :(

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

'cism

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Like I said earlier: my lack of sympathy for someone's self-inflicted condition will never change the way I try to treat them.

Doctors are meant to be objective no matter what you think about the person in question - that's an ideal I'll continuously strive for.

Privately though I may be aggravated by their unwillingness to change.

This is the definition I'll be running with
    Sympathy - a feeling of pity or sorrow for the suffering or distress of another.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

'cism

these mongoloid fats contribute to crime in our arteries

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Huey Morgan plays an excellent character on his 6Music show.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aloha, folks and folkettes.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bloody hell, one of my friends who started writing a month or so before me just broke through the 25k word barrier on his thesis.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bloody hell, one of my friends who started writing a month or so before me just broke through the 25k word barrier on his thesis.

is that more or less than you expected

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

is that more or less than you expected

A physics thesis is typically 40k words and takes 6-9months to write. He's already passed the mid-point, which is strange as normally your writing accelerates with time.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man, I'm feeling mega-mopey today. Last night as well.

Patient with cancer I've been following was buried yesterday.

I had no idea, and I have some unexplained guilt now, because I feel I should have known sooner.

Gonna watch Charlie Brooker explain why TV is a terrible thing instead.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    do you think he might be too hasty

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    do you think he might be too hasty

No, he's at home with his parents and split with his girlfriend prior to starting, so he's got no social life coupled with him being a pretty good writer generally (he's had short stories published all over the show). He is just making the rest of us look bad.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of words:
    I read an ass-long article about the CoS Loren posted on FB. Harrowing stuff.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    that's cool, Mojo

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Speaking of words:

???

Cosine?

Cool Stuff?

Fall Break?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of words:

???

Cosine?

Cool Stuff?

Fall Break?

Culling of Stratholme

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of words:

???

Cosine?

Cool Stuff?

Fall Break?

Culling of Stratholme

Aaaah

Did he get his bronze drake?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I manned up and went into work guys. :)

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of words:

???

Cosine?

Cool Stuff?

Fall Break?

Culling of Stratholme

Aaaah

Did he get his bronze drake?

cHURCH OF sCIENTOLOGY?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    is that a faction that comes out in the new patch, posh?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of CoS wankers, I read that Cruise is under investigation for human trafficking. :^:

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    is that a faction that comes out in the new patch, posh?

ugh

more faction grinds

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I feel such a relief that I stopped giving a shit about reputations and world event achievements in WoW.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of CoS wankers, I read that Cruise is under investigation for human trafficking. :^:

what the shit

human trafficking to where? D:

Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.