Options

Intro to Crictical Failures (Table Top Gaming Noob)

bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Critical Failures
So after Community's AD&D episode last week, I'm wanting to dip my toe into the world of table top RPGs, but not sure where to start. I'm not ready to make a long term commitment to any game, so something I can pick up play with out too much need for leveling would be nice.

I'm thinking the D&D Starter kit, cause it's cheap, and I need a place to, well, start.

However, I'm not firmly set on playing D&D. Real Life Comics has put Munchkin on my radar, but it seems to get mixed reviews.

I have no friends who play D&D, though I do have a buddy who's pretty big into board games (Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Settlers, and, in the past at least, Star Wars CCG), who would be willing to try out what ever I settle on and I can probably wrangle a few others into at least 1 game.

TL;DR: What's a good game for test run of TT RPGs?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
Steam ID: Good Life
bloodatonement on

• Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Red box contains a solo adventure that is meant to help you create a character. You do some stuff by yourself, and then... you run out after 20mns or so and you need 2 or 3 other people to finish the adventure within the book.

The good news is that I bought that same box to try and lure my wife into D&D and she is really wanting to try a full-blown adventure. Hopefully that plays out the same for you and your friend.

Munchkin is awesome - get 2 or 3 of your friends and play it. It's really silly; they'll get a laugh if they've ever played any roleplaying games (Final Fantasy, etc). Get the basic one for 19.99 or so and you'll enjoy it!

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well after some hard noes to D&D, looks like I'll be give Munchkin a spin. Thanks.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They said no? That's really a shame. Now's about the easiest time to get into DnD. The latest edition is probably the easiest to understand, and the cost of entry is pretty low too.

You could also try the Keep on the Shadowfell sample adventure for free on the DnD website. It should still be there, look for a link in Aegeri's massive OP for the 4e Discussion thread. It comes with premade characters, too.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have no friends who play D&D, though I do have a buddy who's pretty big into board games (Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Settlers, and, in the past at least, Star Wars CCG)

Your friend has taste and distinction.

Anyway, as far as tabletop rpg's, I agree that the Keep on the Shadowfell is a good starting place. It's free, comes with basically everything you need to play including premade characters, is pretty straightforward while giving you a sense of what goes on, and is also free. (free is important).

I'm going to recommend against munchkin though, because it's not really like playing a game of D&D or something, unless your group is full of bitter spiteful assholes who attempt to screw each other at every turn. Not to get too much into whether it's a good game or not, but it's VASTLY different from a real group roleplaying game.

At any rate, if you can't convince your friends because they're d-bags or something, then there's websites you can go to to find groups nearby. I know Obsidian Portal does that, though I've never used it myself.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well after some hard noes to D&D, looks like I'll be give Munchkin a spin. Thanks.

As someone else was saying, Munchkin is not an RPG. It is to table-top RPGs as those 'multiplayer' fantasy-themed 'games' on facebook where you pick X missions to get XP for per day are to MMORPGs. The theme is the same-ish and it has a few of the same trappings at least in name, but the experience could very nearly not be more different.

If your friend is just bound and determined to stick to the world of boardgames rather than RPGs, I'd recommend trying to talk him into a game of the D&D Castle Ravenloft game. It plays like a stripped down version of 4th Edition D&D without the roleplaying (and I wouldn't have guessed you could strip down 4E combat any more, but they managed it). If your friend likes it then it is a very short step to actually playing 4E and you would know half the rules before you start. And unlike other dungeon crawl games, it's co-op and doesn't take 5 hours to play through.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just DM'd my first game of dnd 4e with a bunch of people who have also never played.

They heartily enjoyed it.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Looks like the D&D boardgame was a good compromise. Thanks! May even have some one who will let us borrow it for a night.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg