As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Points of Interest Maps

2»

• Options
    gfishgfish Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Exodus1 wrote: »
    I always have trouble finding some place to get a decent breakfast that's close enough to quickly get to and from before the convention opens.

Last year, the 'Au Bon Pain' kept us in some heavy duty food, and there are two pretty close according to my googlemaps searches. My entire group will be hitting them up for sure, their breakfast sammich was aces for the poor hungover souls that we were.

gfish on
    -- PokeTron: Ampharos
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you don't have it listed yet, one of the closest bars to the BCEC is Lucky's Lounge.
    Corner of Congress and A.

There is NO signage on the building to tell you it's there. It's one of those places that you have to KNOW that it's there.

And just a block from there is the giant Hood's milk bottle, in front of the Boston Children's Museum. Cool spot for photos for all you out of towners.

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    gfish wrote: »
    I always have trouble finding some place to get a decent breakfast that's close enough to quickly get to and from before the convention opens.

Last year, the 'Au Bon Pain' kept us in some heavy duty food, and there are two pretty close according to my googlemaps searches. My entire group will be hitting them up for sure, their breakfast sammich was aces for the poor hungover souls that we were.

Yep. One at the Boston Children's Museum and one at South Station.

South Station also has the closest McDonald's. The closest BK is over on the corner of West Broadway and D. The closest Wendy's is 2 blocks past South Station, heading towards Downtown Crossing.

If you have the time, do go over to Quincy Market. The food court there has TONS to choose from. Just one tiny detail: You might not be able to find a place to sit down. (Same at South Station. The Chairs:People ratio is roughly 1:10. During summer at Quincy Market, make that 1:50)

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It doesn't look like there's a ton of food to be had immediately within grasp of the convention center. Any idea if there will be any food (even fast food) inside the building, like at WSCTC? Maybe my perception of distance is just inaccurate :)

Edit.: I suppose that the Westin does have a restaurant in it, though I'm guessing that'll be a bit more expensive due to convenience.

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
  • Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    gfish wrote: »

Just a warning, it looks like the Au Bon Pain that's only 2 blocks southeast from the BCEC is only open M-F during normal business hours (6AM-6PM). You may be ok on Friday, but will need to look elsewhere for the other days.

The one at the Children's Museum seems to be open on the weekends, but like from 10am-5pm'ish so it's not an ideal place for breakfast before PAX, unless you wake up late.

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While I went to PAX East last year I spent most of my non PAX time doing Touristy things. This time I'd like to check out some of the Geek Centric stores. So are there any great stores to pick up card or Board games in the Boston area ? I realize i'll see some vendors for these @ PAX but always like seeing actual stores as well.

Thanks in advance.

draklan on
  • Options
    StrikerObiStrikerObi Tallahassee, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I only have one thing to add, so I probably don't need to be added as a cartographer or anything. However, I do think somebody should mark out the Sam Adams brewery on the map. Last year, since Day 1 of PAX didn't start until the afternoon, my friends and I went out there that Friday morning. It was awesome, and you can get there very easily via the T (get off at the Stony Brook station, they have street signs to direct you to the brewery which is about 3 blocks from the station).

If anybody wants to add it, the address of the brewery is 30 Germania Street, Boston, MA.

The tours are free (though they do suggest a $5 donation to a local charity). The tour is fun (though brief) and you get free beer and small sampling glass to take home with you. I highly recommend it if you are into beer in any way (or even if you aren't).

StrikerObi on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    draklan wrote: »
    While I went to PAX East last year I spent most of my non PAX time doing Touristy things. This time I'd like to check out some of the Geek Centric stores. So are there any great stores to pick up card or Board games in the Boston area ? I realize i'll see some vendors for these @ PAX but always like seeing actual stores as well.

Thanks in advance.

there are a few of these already marked on the map. check the places with shopping bag icons; in particular, the compleat strategist, games people play, and pandemonium are ones to check out.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Necro-thread? I know this was for PAX East '11, but since we are still in the BCEC, and this thing really helped me a ton last year, I figure it's relevant. Thanks again to the creators! :rotate:

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Necro-thread? I know this was for PAX East '11, but since we are still in the BCEC, and this thing really helped me a ton last year, I figure it's relevant. Thanks again to the creators! :rotate:

This is relevant, but rather then necro a thread it might be more useful to PM Goose and see if a new thread can be made with an updated map. Everything is still labeled 2011 and it's under invite only collaboration. Maybe Goose could make someone else the owner/curator even so that an updated map can be maintained if he/she doesn't want to keep it going.

• Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:

This is relevant, but rather then necro a thread it might be more useful to PM Goose and see if a new thread can be made with an updated map. Everything is still labeled 2011 and it's under invite only collaboration. Maybe Goose could make someone else the owner/curator even so that an updated map can be maintained if he/she doesn't want to keep it going.

Will do, I'm sure people have learned things from last year to add.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    please don't necro old threads

E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.