As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manhunt thread - 'HEEEEEAAAD JUUUUUUICE!'

Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
First ever thread on these forums, woo.

Making a Manhunt thread is pretty tough on me, mainly because I'm such a total fucking crazy-in-love geek for the first game that it'll take some serious restraint for me to not descend into batshit loco fanboy mode once I get talking. Suffice to say that it's one of the most personally important games I've ever played, and there's barely been a week that's gone by since November 2003 that I don't boot this masterpiece up and bathe in it's atmosphere, like a carefree baby frog frolicking freely in a spring fountain in some nature reserve like the Animals of Farthing fucking Wood or some such. The game oozes horror. And not in the supernatural, zombies, aliens and mutants type of fantasy horror that's so easy to recreate in a Resident Evil sort of fashion. I'm talking human horror. The evil that men resort to when they're at the end of their fucking rag, when survival is the only thing that matters, when they're alone with a machete in a city choking under the drugs, sex and violence that runs rampant, reflecting the human condition. The horror of five men with baseball bats hunting you down in some godforsaken fucking warehouse in the arse-end of the some rust-belt industrial town deep in America's heartland. Carcer City, a hellhole so bad it makes the other GTA cities (yes, they are in the same universe) look like that Cypress Creek place that Hank Scorpio runs in The Simpsons.

It's 1980s video nasties, it's 1970s grindhouse, it's Preacher, it's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, it's The Warriors, it's John Carpenter's entire movie career distilled into one awesome stealth game with the guts of a GTA, the soul of a Metal Gear and one twisted fucking sense of humour. Manhunt is Rockstar's way of saying to all those Daily Mail prudes "you think GTA is fucking violent, banging hookers off-screen? Take a look at this scythe castration!"
I love it to death, for its boldness, it's brutality and its incredible vision towards scaring and thrilling the shit out of you with every silent step and carrier-bag asphyxiation. You don't, as certain lawyers would suggest, have to be a basket-case to play this game. You don't have to have fantasize about gutting your co-workers, and you don't have to "lie around masturbating in your own feces", to quote Brad Pitt in Se7en. You just have to appreciate good horror, and good stealth gaming.
The atmosphere is helped by the vocal talents of Emmy-award winning actor Brian Cox, who snarls and screams out words of derision and encouragement as The Director, directly into your ear if your using the USB headset. It's a stealth game that dares to ask you 'what if you aren't the hero?' You're not some government agent snapping terrorist necks for your 'fat reward and ticket home' - you are a bastard. Everybody in this game is a bastard, except for the one woman in the storyline. A comment on the male ego, perhaps. It's no random decision to set three whole levels in an abandoned zoo, free of the animals. This is a zoo for violent men to hunt each other in caged surroundings whilst somebody else observes them through a camera lens. For the Manhunt.

MANHUNT - PS2, Xbox, PC, released November 2003 (UK)

Manhunt_02.jpg

ps2manhunt_1m.jpg

xbox0315-02.jpg

What's the story? James Earl Cash is a convicted murderer, facing the ultimate price for taking a man's life - the death penalty. Instead of being administered the lethal injection though, a tranquiliser inoculation sends him to sleep. When he wakes up he thinks he's in Hell - ironically not far off. A mysterious voice on the end of his headset tells him that he's been given a second chance. "Do exactly as I tell you, and this will be over before the night is out", he's promised. Cash is urged to step quietly through sectioned-off areas in Carcer City, in the dead of night, and brutally murder the roaming gang members in the bloodiest fashion possible, for the cameras. For this, you see, is the Manhunt - an epic snuff film organised and arranged by an ex-Hollywood (Vinewood?) mogul so powerful that he even has his own private guard of hired mercenaries working for him. There is no escape, and there is no bargaining. The cops are in his pocket, and the gangs are his pawns. The show must go on.

There are various gangs: The Hoods (basic street mob, cowards if isolated), Skinz (trash-dwelling self-righteous white supremists), the Wardogs (dumbass army guys), Innocents (mainly Mexican murderers and psychos), the Smilies (Insane asylum residents), CCPD (Carcer City's finest), and the Cerbeus Unit (The Director's private guard).

Defining moment: Deliverance, the final level. Scariest gaming moment ever. You can take your Pyramid Heads, Eternal Darkness bathtubs and Resident Evil dogs and windows, because Piggsy has this genre covered.
He's an obese naked guy with a hollowed-out pig's head over his own. He's cannibalistic, screamingly bleeeeeeeeeeblblblblblblb insane and chases you relentlessly with a chain saw in the game's climatic scene. With the ability to disappear from the radar (and your senses) by simply turning off the weapon, he's one of the most memorable antagonists in gaming history. The set-design of the level looks like something from a Nine Inch Nails vid, your main character is completely (well, almost) defenceless, and the game delivers the ultimate gratification when you defeat the psycho and take the chain saw for yourself, gleefully dismembering a few assault-rifling toting mercenaries before busting down the door of the Director's editing room and giving him the definition of 'stomach pains'.

Manhunt 2 - PS2, Wii, PSP, out July 2007.

manhunt-2-20070525003932218.jpg

manhunt-2-20070501011420451.jpg

manhunt-2-20070501011425779.jpg

hmv_manhunt.jpg

^----Actual image photographed from a HMV store.

Imagine my face when I heard Manhunt 2 was coming. Just imagine the smile of sheer delirious fucking joy on my impish face, when I saw that news. Like this:

Baby%20Lev%20Smile.jpg

Play.com sez:
An experiment at a secret research facility has gone catastrophically wrong. Daniel Lamb and leo Kasper are the only surviving subjects. The Pickman Project will stop at nothing to hunt them down and stop the truth from getting out.

Demented screams echo around the dank asylum that has caged you for the last six years. You open your eyes. A white-coated body slumps to the floor through your shaking hands. A bloody syringe slips from your arm. Waves of confusion and paranoia crash over you. You have no idea who you are or how you got here.

The door to your cell is open. One choice. One chance. They took your life. Time to take it back.

IGN article

Official Site

The new hunt begins soon.

Discuss, Hunters.

Lightning Shield! on

• Options
    beauVSIIbeauVSII Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you like, some award winning reporter or something?
    Your article makes me want to go out and buy the original for some strange reason.
    I think...I will :)

beauVSII on
    "And i was like, Yeah Bitch - I'm Having this!"
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Nice OP :3

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nice OP.

I loved the first Manhunt so much, although I never did finish it. Manhunt 2 is so purchased on day 1.

Also that Manhunt 2 cover :^:

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fuck the last stage of the first game right in the ass. Goddamn Pigsy.

That said, pretty good game, if ass hard at times. How the hell people played hardcore mode, I'll never know.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Never played the first one. This could be my first 3rd party Wii game. Hopefully the reviews are good for it.

JJ on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fantastic OP mate, can't wait for the Wii version.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    beauVSII wrote: »
    Are you like, some award winning reporter or something?

No, but I do like to pretend.

That said, pretty good game, if ass hard at times. How the hell people played hardcore mode, I'll never know.

I always play hardcore. I'm like fucking Houdini at this game - I can get out of any situation. I'm not even some mad skillz gamer (never do more than normal on Guitar Hero), I just know the game inside-fucking-out. The only levels that still surprise me are the last five or so. 'Wrong Side of the Tracks', you never know what the hell is going to happen.

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Real horror is black-and-white 60s ghost stories with no special effects.
    Nice OP, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Really impressive OP, especially considering the usual derision this game and any of its violent ilk are treated with around these parts.

I bought the original release day, along with Freedom Fighters and FFX-2. After playing it all the way through, alone in the dark of my basement, headset filling my head with gristled whispers, I decided I'd never bother playing through another worthless RPG again. It so altered my attatchment and emotional connection to gaming, there are very few other games that come close to making me feel anything. I love stealth gaming just for that reason, the immersion of having to hide and the actual sensation of fight or flight moments.

Nothing was sweeter for me than the Burtonesque Starkweather courtyards or the morgue of the insane asylum- truly a beautifully ugly game. I don't know that I could play it religiously, even with some online multiplayer or challenge modes included again. Prolonged exposure to the game would likely warp me even further.

Playing this game with a few friends actually inspired us to go out and shoot snuff films for the rest of that winter. They're pretty insane. When I told them a sequel was coming they clowned on the nerdy anti-hero, but I think he's perfect- exactly the sort that takes an axe to a freaks neck in a stealth kill. As much as I ended up identifying with Cash, the subplot with his family and his treatment of the Reporter- I never really felt for him outside the survival instinct. I dig the asylum patient however. I wonder if he wasn't a Smiley?

Suffice it to say, I am adequately stoked for the sequel. Its the one thing I care to buy a Wii for, I'm honestly shocked they're making a sequel at all, considering the first recieved heaps of critical acclaim but not amazing sales. The Chicago Tribune even called it one of the top five most important games ever made, so I'm glad Rockstar is bothering to franchise it. I just hope it holds up, story wise, design wise, gameplay wise, mechanics wise....

I might have to break this out again, I loved the stealth but didn't much care for the gunplay levels, aside from being a slight diversion and fresh change to the gameplay, I'd rather spend the shooting time playing Red Dead Revolver as a total Rockstar whore.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I gotta say, this game has always been seen as distasteful and quite disturbing in my eyes, and that will probably never change. That isn't to say I hate it on principal or anything, but hell if I'm going to try it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It is pretty horrible. I always end up playing Jak and Daxter or a Mario something when I'm done with it.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I gotta say, this game has always been seen as distasteful and quite disturbing in my eyes, and that will probably never change. That isn't to say I hate it on principal or anything, but hell if I'm going to try it.
    I suppose liming isn't totally accurate for opinion, so I edited it to something else chosen at random.

To me, real horror is atmospheric and psychological. Rarely does it involve removing someone's testes with garden implements for no fucking reason.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defining moment: Deliverance, the final level. Scariest gaming moment ever. You can take your Pyramid Heads, Eternal Darkness bathtubs and Resident Evil dogs and windows, because Piggsy has this genre covered.
    He's an obese naked guy with a hollowed-out pig's head over his own. He's cannibalistic, screamingly bleeeeeeeeeeblblblblblblb insane and chases you relentlessly with a chain saw in the game's climatic scene. With the ability to disappear from the radar (and your senses) by simply turning off the weapon, he's one of the most memorable antagonists in gaming history. The set-design of the level looks like something from a Nine Inch Nails vid, your main character is completely (well, almost) defenceless, and the game delivers the ultimate gratification when you defeat the psycho and take the chain saw for yourself, gleefully dismembering a few assault-rifling toting mercenaries before busting down the door of the Director's editing room and giving him the definition of 'stomach pains'.
    That's a bit similar to the climatic confrontation in the movie Motel Hell.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Antibodies wrote: »
    Playing this game with a few friends actually inspired us to go out and shoot snuff films for the rest of that winter.

o_O

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Antibodies wrote: »
    Playing this game with a few friends actually inspired us to go out and shoot snuff films for the rest of that winter.

o_O
    I think this is a 'Jack Thompson is fucking moron' allusion. Which, incidentally, Jack will quote out of context as proof that Manhunt caused an otherwise perfectly normal teenager to make a snuff film.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sooo um, hi.
    Manhunt was banned in Australia, which sucks ass on a stick.
    Funny thing is, it was banned after like 5 months of sale.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    this has probably been covered but

why the hell is rockstar releasing this on the wii?

it seems they may not reach the target audience for this one to me

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PendegastPendegast Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    After playing Manhunt, I felt filthy, like, need-a-long-shower-and-a-wire-scrubbrush filthy. And when I finally worked it all out in my head, I realized that as unpleasant as the experience was, it was one of the most important games I've ever played. I've played countless video games where killing twenty people was the key to unlocking the next level -- this was the first one that made me regret it. It made me think long and hard about violence and its role in human relationships, and regardless of video games, how little I wanted any of that in my real life.

I realize the above probably sounds like pseudointellectual bullshite, but it's the best way I can think of to explain it. It opened an internal dialogue about violence in my heart, and reaffirmed that it isn't the way to go.

Oh, and fuck Jack Thompson.

Pendegast on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's releasing on the PS2, so they can be more artistic/sadistic/have fun with the Wii version because the PS2 is the market.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I was going to post "insert obligatory 'wii is teh kiddie' remark here" but I guess you beat me to it.

:roll:

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I was going to post "insert obligatory 'wii is teh kiddie' remark here" but I guess you beat me to it.

Yeah, that was really clever. Mario is definitely aimed at the 18+ crowd.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So

I loved this game but I never beat it

I got to some part with like a mansion or something and like SWAT dudes.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2007
    The most disturbing part of manhunt is when someone points out that you hardly have to kill anyone to get through the game. You just do it because a man tells you to

Tube on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Execellent OP. I love Manhunt, it's survival horror done properly, IMO. I was really excited to hear about the sequel, until I heard that the only next gen-system covered was the Wii, and then I was just really sad. It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm hoping for a PC port down the road.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anyone play this with the mic for either PS2 or xbox? The director actually spoke through the earpiece and the the mic could be used to voice distractions.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I suppose liming isn't totally accurate for opinion, so I edited it to something else chosen at random.

To me, real horror is atmospheric and psychological. Rarely does it involve removing someone's testes with garden implements for no fucking reason.

That isn't what makes Manhunt scary or unsettling. Well, okay, the violence does make the game unsettling, but that's rather secondary to what I'm talking about.

Yes, the violence does make the game rather uncomfortable a lot of the time, but the atmosphere is what has always kept me from finishing the game. There is an ever-present sense of foreboding and unease and the atmosphere is just dark and creepy and unsettling. It remains one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played and even if I abhorred a lot of the rather graphic violence, it's still one of my favorite games, finished or not.

Manhunt really is more than people give it credit for. I won't say you should try it no matter your biases, but maybe you should take a closer look. It really isn't all gore and violence and stabbing people's eyes out with shards of glass.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Good Op.

I could never get in to the game, I don't know if I gave it a fair shot or not. To me it just seemed, sneak in shadows, walk behind someone with button held. Let go. Over and over and over again.

I'll undoubtedly still rent the Wii version, and after all the positive comments may go back and give the xbox version a chance. The only thing that bothers me about the Wii version is that it'll just be the PS2 one with motion controls tacked on. Like Spider-Man.

And that upsets me.

::Edit:: I can vouch for the atmosphere though, it could get tense at times.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, admittedly, the mechanics on the Executions are extremely simple and do grow old unless you're always advancing to find new weapons and arrange various bait and switches, choke points or just going to town with a bat after you've isolated a creep. About a third of the way through, they throw in some pretty intense shooting sections with a cover mechanic, people should appreciate all the more these days. Then later the game combines heavy machine run and gunning with the stealth kills, which is insane.

Mostly I find the game is about setting the mood, letting yourself get into the game, immersing yourself with the sound up, sitting in the dark, playing all night long, and just exploring the environments while playing headgames with the various gangs (that way you hear all their fucking awesome dialogue) and allowing yourself to feel the fear.

I play every stealth game that comes along and this ranked right up there in between Splinter Cell co-op and MGS3 throwing snakes at GRUs in the forest.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The most disturbing part of manhunt is when someone points out that you hardly have to kill anyone to get through the game. You just do it because a man tells you to

I haven't played manhunt, never got around to it, but I doubt I'd need anyone to tell me what to do.

I'm one of those people who was really frustrated that I couldn't kill every friendly npc in HL 2. >.>

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I'm given a weapon, I damn well expect to be able to kill every single thing I see with it. Friendly or not.

(Please note, this is in video games)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I haven't played manhunt, never got around to it, but I doubt I'd need anyone to tell me what to do.

I'm one of those people who was really frustrated that I couldn't kill every friendly npc in HL 2. >.>

Buh? The game is really clever in that it makes you question why you are doing what you are doing the entire time. The antagonist is in constant communication with you, telling you how great you are the more violent the death you've acted out is. I mean it makes you question the thrill you get from the killings - you ask yourself, "Am I enjoying doing this? Does that make me the same as the Director?" and then you kind of twig - I am, in a sense, the director. This game doesn't have to be gory, I'm making it so. Fucking cool for a game to do this to you.

Unfortunately, the morons just played it for the splatter and the internal dialogue passed them by completely. Politicians watched as kids played along going "huh huh, cool" in abject horror. And now, Manhunt 2, instead of taking the achievements of the first one over to the sequel, make the schlock horror title the media portrayed the first one as. Who knows, I may be wrong, but everything that I've read about the sequel saddens me a little.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's a piy I dislike stealth games, or I might have more interest.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Banned in Australia :(

Everything in Australia is cushion covered compared to america...

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Basically, when I first played this, I was disgusted with it, with Cash, and with myself, and I thought it was a poor game.

I felt that way for about two days, before I came back to it because I wanted to see how the story would progress. And then I realized that the game is actually quite great: you see, it's trying to make you feel uncomfortable and despicable, not to mention scared and high-strung. It's a very strong, solid take on the whole "anti-hero" aspect; sure, I've played a bastard in many other games, but rarely did I actually despise my character. I mean, consider another Rockstar favorite - GTA. Sure, in those games I beat up old ladies and stole cars, but who cares? It's good fun. Contrast that with the horrifying methods of slaughter in Manhunt, and the fact that it takes itself seriously, and the next thing you know, you're taking it seriously too.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Manhunt was a great game and is very special. It deserves appreciation.
    I love the backwards message to it that's being described in this thread. If you get the whole message you can appreciate it, but if you can't read between lines and see the whole picture you're leaving yourself with a really shallow perspective and you'll hate it because you think it's "mindless".

So far Rockstar hasn't put anything out that's mindless. Not even Table Tennis.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've always been sorely tempted to try this game, mostly because I'm repulsed by it, but then I realize that the game was set up to try and repulse me, so I'm intrigued. It's a strange push and pull.

I'm really a wuss in scary games, though, so I don't know how well I'd handle it.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never finished Manhunt because I got tired of killing people. It got boring. The game was about as exciting/immersive/evoking as going grocery shopping. You just start at one end of a level and sneak kill your way to the other end. The only difference is how "edgy" it is which goes away cause its just a game, and a game with a stupid story and cliched characters. I mean if you like exclusively sneaking around killing clowns this game is for you. I don't really like the stealth mechanic in any game and I like a little(lot) more complexity and variety. This game is best used for dismaying non gamers with its supposed horribleness.

vhzod on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2007
    The fact that it's serious changes a lot. Also, the word "Manhunt" doesn't refer to you hunting men, it refers to them hunting you. I didn't despise the main character particularly as he's a blank slate, and he's essentially just fighting for his life. The real bad guy is the guy who's set these murders up. The despicable one is starkweather, and you're supposed to hate him. And you do.

Tube on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

I didn't mean wii is a kiddy system, I just meant right now it's geared toward casual gamers, and admittedly to children as well. I don't know if the people who pick this up are going to see it for what it is supposed to be. It's like Sin City, where people who didn't understand what the movie was based off of walked out of the movie theater. At least that happened a lot where I was living at the time.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I might pick this game up from the bargain bin sometime. Sounds awesome.

GroovyMr1337 on