As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me build a computer! (PLEASE come in and review my build)

AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
Hello guys. I must admit I greatly miss the build a computer thread here. I'm hoping that you guys will be willing to help me here, as I'm going to be taking it slow.

My overall goal will be to have a computer that can play BF3 this winter on max settings. Because the price will likely be high, I'm going to be buying a bit each month. This month I'll be picking up a nice case and PSU.

So let's start there. I assume I need a PSU of 500W or higher, but to be safe I'm going to go after one at least 600W. Are there any particular issues I need to be aware of? Are combo deals the best bet? Brands I should avoid?

Please give me recommendations on a case and/or PSU.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
AuburnTiger on

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Instead of buying a little bit each month, you should just stash away money until you get $1000 or whatever you need. No point in buying parts and just having them sit around and get old/obsolete while you keep shopping for more stuff.

That said, for cases anything Antec is gold and for PSUs Corsair is a solid brand.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Save up until you have enough for everything. That way you ensure that the components you buy early won't be outdated by the time you can turn it on.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Buying bits of a computer each month until you can build the entire thing is like buying different fresh ingredients each month until you can cook a nice meal. Everything's going to be stale or rotten by the time you're ready to throw it all together.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Alright, I appreciate the advice. I was only going to do it over a three month period, but I suppose I can wait till the end. Come back soon, build a computer thread.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I get home from work I plan on ressurecting the ol' thing now that I'm back from vacation.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Please do!

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How important is considering resolution when picking out a video card? I doubt I'll need anything more than 1440x900.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I think basically all video cards made in recent time go to ridiculous sizes should you have a monitor to support it.

I have a GTX460 so I just checked that out, via DVI it goes to 2560x1600.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How's this build?

PSU

Motherboard

GPU

CPU

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161350 - better video card, same price or less

Personally on CPU I might scale it back to save $20, with the one you have now you are skirting the price for an intel setup.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

You might want to wait a month or so and see what the new i3's look like.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm trying to put together a build for around $1,000 that includes everything except for the mouse and keyboard. I hate that I lose 10% of my budget to Win 7 though.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Will a PCI Express 2.1 GPU work with a 2.0 motherboard?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As far as I know, your PCI-E 2.1 GPU should work fine on a 2.0.

What happened to the Computer Build thread that used to be stickied at the top of this subforum?

Shens on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shens wrote: »

What happened to the Computer Build thread that used to be stickied at the top of this subforum?

Yeah, 2.1 is backwards compatible with all PCI-E slots.

And it hit over 100 pages. I keep meaning to do it, but have been busy lately. I might just copy LLC's OP at least to get it going again.

Edit: You've all finally driven me to get this up and going again. I'm using LLC's OP as a base, and just editing/altering information so it's more up-to-date. Once I have it finished, if you have any comments/suggestions, let me know.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Shens wrote: »

Yeah, 2.1 is backwards compatible with all PCI-E slots.

And it hit over 100 pages. I keep meaning to do it, but have been busy lately. I might just copy LLC's OP at least to get it going again.

Edit: You've all finally driven me to get this up and going again. I'm using LLC's OP as a base, and just editing/altering information so it's more up-to-date. Once I have it finished, if you have any comments/suggestions, let me know.

You're the best. <3

Shens on