Options

Greatest Genius of all Time

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Einstein because of the sheer amount of research dollars allocated to throwing boulders at relativity to see if it'll break.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    *I'm* Spartacus!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Newton frustrates me. He wrote some of the most revolutionary ever in his younger years then spent decades burying himself in alchemist wankery.

Leibniz needs some props here. He pretty much discovery calculas alongside Newton. Also he never seems to get credit for pretty much designing symbolic logic as we know it today.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    [Hannibal for military genius maybe. Alexander the Great was supposedly pretty decent too, but he may have just been one of the early folks to prove that killing lots of folks is easy, if you put your mind to it, and work at it really hard.

I have to say it to be an asshole, but: I don't see why these people could have existed. They could just have easily been made up, especially considering how long ago it was. For the exact same reasons that Jesus didn't have to exist. I'm not religious, just reasonable. :P

Anyway, I think that a distinction needs to be made in terms of military genius. In my opinion, guys like Stonewall Jackson were the most advanced generals to ever exist, simply because the Civil War was the last major war where one general really made a difference. After that even guys like Rommel don't count because small-unit tactics meant much more. And in the older wars, the dominance of melee weapons in tactics really just seemed like most battles were just giant bar-room brawls. Strategy meant way more than tactics.

I just felt like I had to justify that as I submit Stonewall Jackson as the greatest military genius ever, rather than someone more epic.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Good ol' Stonewall. Sad such a genius got killed in such a humiliating way.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For the exact same reasons that Jesus didn't have to exist. I'm not religious, just reasonable. :P

Ah, because Jesus, who's story is told practically exclusively in the bible, is exactly analogous to Hannibal, a noted leader who invaded Italy and persistently frustrated Rome. Yes, history from a long time ago is often filled with bullshit. Herodotus made half his stuff up out of whole cloth. Petrarch peppered accounts of wars up with inflated numbers of casualties. It's sometimes difficult to separate myth from reality when dealing with things that happened that long ago, to be sure, which is why I qualified Hannibal with a "maybe" and Alexander with a "supposedly".

Make a thread if you want to debate history. I haven't seen a solid case for Jesus, and I'm sure a thread on it would be interesting.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I approve of a thread debating events of history surrounding Rome. That'd be awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    \The collective genius of Radiohead for modern music.\
    I love Radiohead, but I think you're going a bit too far.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Newton frustrates me. He wrote some of the most revolutionary ever in his younger years then spent decades burying himself in alchemist wankery.

Newton was mad into the Jesus loving. I had no idea how much of the religious rhetoric was taken out of all of his early science by the French. It's all "prove the existence of God with maths" this and "look how this Gravity means that God is watching over us" that. Interesting stuff.

Also, because I haven't seen his name mentioned with the rest of the classical love in- Aristotle. Dude took Plato back down to Earth and basically invented scientists. Plus he was probably the first and last guy in history to know everything there was to know about anything.

Low Key on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In the Maths category we need more Fermat. He was fairly amazing given his background. Though "Greatest" is kinda predicated upon him actually having had a proof for his last Theorem.

Also, biggest mathematical asshole: Fermat.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Biggest Arseholes in history would be pretty good too. Galen was a knob jockey. Plato revovled way too many treatises around coaxing young boys into bed.

I wish the details of these people's live weren't so vague and fictional so I could slander them properly.

Low Key on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    I dunno. Sonya is such a forced character. Oh, the good hearted prostitute. And Raskolnykov's rage is laughable at times, as is his fear. It's hyperbole. It comes off to great effect, and you leave the novel feeling entertained and having learned something, but I would not put him up as the best author of all time, let alone "best genius."

I mean...Shakespeare should be up there. I don't think that anyone has ever had a better understanding of human nature.

But in terms of authors traditional? I like Joyce, but I might put Thomas Mann or, perhaps in the future, DFW up there.

I don't know how you can chastize Dostoyevesky's emotional states as hyperbolic and three sentences later overlook Mann's ridiculous approach to human emotional state. Unbelievable and hyperbolic emotional states are pretty much a symptom of German and Russian writing. Look at Goethe or Bulgakov or I dunno Pushkin. Hesse is an exception, as he didn't really deal with human emotional states at all.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    Also, I'd nominate offhand probably Gauss, Dirac, Feynman, Einstein, Newton, Laplace. Maybe Galois, but he died so young and without formal training that it's hard to tell where he would have gone.

I think Nabokov is a magnificent writer and maybe the best I've read.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just skimmed the first three pages, but nobody mentioned Alan Turing yet?

Aside from the whole fact of how without him, we'd all probably be speaking German right now, I'd say that his pioneering the concept of a computer will shape probably the rest of human history in ways that people even seventy years ago could never have predicted.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah Alan Turing is one of the most important figures of the past 80 years or so for sure. Bright dude too.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TESLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

that dude was probably the closest thing to a magician that ever existed. but with science!

also, maybe not the greatest genius of all time, but i think Lincoln's intelligence and skill in the political arena is VASTLY underappreciated.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd nominate Fred Rogers as one of the greatest geniuses of all time - not necessarily for smarts but just for the sheer capacity for warmth and kindness that the man had.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Yeah Alan Turing is one of the most important figures of the past 80 years or so for sure. Bright dude too.

What the British government did to him was really one of the dark pages of recent history.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Emmy Noether.

Go ahead, wiki it.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'd nominate Fred Rogers as one of the greatest geniuses of all time - not necessarily for smarts but just for the sheer capacity for warmth and kindness that the man had.

this may be the best thing you see for the rest of your life, then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41lJIhW7fA

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

What the British government did to him was really one of the dark pages of recent history.

Wasn't he arrested for being gay and then killed himself?

Johannen on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Vitruvius was an idiot, lots of the explanations he gives for things in his book are flawed.

My vote would have to go to ARCHIMEDES. What with finding the closest approximation of Pi for hundreds of years, finding the area of the circle, finding the surface area and volume of the sphere, and for being basically the first scientist of all time.

He discovered the laws of hydrostatics, completed the world's first structural diagram, found the law of the lever, constructed a mechanical model of the solar system which accurately predicted the position of all the planets in relation to the earth and included eclipses, and was the first mechanical clock (I believe), solved the first calculus problems geometrically, discovered centre gravity, invented the archimedean screw (which though seeming simple in construction is completely counter-intuitive), single-handedly brought a ship (not a boat) ashore with the help of pulleys and levers, and supposedly, in the defence of syracuse, had huge cranes constructed that lifted ships out of the water, and then dashed them against rocks and sunk them.

He was the first person to ever actually apply math and physics to the real world with forces and weight as opposed to simply doing abstract geometry.

Tesla is pretty good too.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Archimedes screw is a pretty cool invention.

Johannen on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    Also, because I haven't seen his name mentioned with the rest of the classical love in- Aristotle. Dude took Plato back down to Earth and basically invented scientists. Plus he was probably the first and last guy in history to know everything there was to know about anything.

Aristotle held physics back a few hundred years with his "fire goes up because it wants to go to the sun! water goes down because it wants to rejoin the ocean!"

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My nominations aren't for the "greatest", just people I think should be tagged as a genius.

Edward Leedskalnin - The man went insane, built a castle, and nobody knows how. It's got to take some kind of genius to do that.

Trent Reznor - The man in my opinion, is one of the few true musical genii or whatever you guys said is right, of today. Feel free to disagree, but you'll never change my opinion on this one, so it'd be a pretty worthless to try and argue it with me.

H.P. Lovecraft - There must be something about him, if near every modern day horror writer quotes him as an inspiration.

Once again, I'm not trying to list the "greatest" just getting some people in who I believe should be recognized as a genius, to some point or other.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've heard many people call Trent Reznor a genius, and they are usually quite serious about it. Can you care to elaborate as to what makes him a genius?

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno. Sonya is such a forced character. Oh, the good hearted prostitute. And Raskolnykov's rage is laughable at times, as is his fear. It's hyperbole. It comes off to great effect, and you leave the novel feeling entertained and having learned something, but I would not put him up as the best author of all time, let alone "best genius."

I mean...Shakespeare should be up there. I don't think that anyone has ever had a better understanding of human nature.

But in terms of authors traditional? I like Joyce, but I might put Thomas Mann or, perhaps in the future, DFW up there.

I don't know how you can chastize Dostoyevesky's emotional states as hyperbolic and three sentences later overlook Mann's ridiculous approach to human emotional state. Unbelievable and hyperbolic emotional states are pretty much a symptom of German and Russian writing. Look at Goethe or Bulgakov or I dunno Pushkin. Hesse is an exception, as he didn't really deal with human emotional states at all.

Perhaps his earlier stuff. I think by Magic Mountain and Joseph and his Brothers, he really curbed down on the hyperbole. I mean, still incredibly longwinded, as any German will be, but Mann makes it work.

Nabokov is an interesting one. I wouldn't call him a particular genius in the way of TS Eliot or Thomas Pynchon. However, I think that he is the most Western writer the west has ever produced. Perhaps only Borges comes close to Nabokov's mastery of western culture and mindset.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Um so you guys realize a lot of these great dicoveries by Europeans were already common place in china hundereds of years before.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Um so you guys realize a lot of these great dicoveries by Europeans were already common place in china hundereds of years before.

Thank god for opium.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I really don't see why that would take away from the achievements of the people already mentioned.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »

I really don't see why that would take away from the achievements of the people already mentioned.

I'm just saying the guy that invented the small pox vacine wasnt that great since it was already in place in China. Same goes for the printing press and tons of mathmatics.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »

I'm just saying the guy that invented the small pox vacine wasnt that great since it was already in place in China. Same goes for the printing press and tons of mathmatics.
    Unless you're accusing their western counterparts of stealing the ideas, the fact that things were developed first elsewhere in no way diminshes the significance of their development in the western world.

Grid System on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speaking for myself here, but if some guy came up with calculus on his own today I would still be impressed. Once a person develops an idea independently I think they deserve credit.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    God, don't you know that aliens from the karkatan system invented calculus fifteen million years ago? :roll:

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I agree with you but I'm saying that since a lot of this happened a long time ago we don't really know how much was stolen and how much was independently thought up. These people on different sides of the eastern hemisphere did interact.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    I've heard many people call Trent Reznor a genius, and they are usually quite serious about it. Can you care to elaborate as to what makes him a genius?

hes no genius if we're to compare him to the likes of newton, leibniz, giant taco salad inventor, etc, but he sure does make some good music

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Brunelleschi: The dome to end all domes.

<3 Don't forget the doors of paradise as well. Whatever it is he gleaned from the stonework of ancient rome disappeared with him as well, since we wouldn't even be able to make something like that today with the same materials. It shouldn't be possible, yet there it is dominating the skyline of Firenze.

If you were to go with architect/engineer geniuses I'd hitch my wagon to Bucky. That guy was just insanely gifted and way ahead of his time. We still haven't gotten there, geodesics and tensegrity are incredibly efficient but rarely used because they're just so damn difficult to figure out in comparison to post and lentils.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    geodesics and tensegrity are incredibly efficient but rarely used because they're just so damn difficult to figure out in comparison to post and lentils.

Hehe...we're still closer to stonehenge than we think.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Leonardo DaVinci, that guy practically visited the future and tried to bring to his present time.

That's the plot in one Donald Duck comic. And a Mickey Mouse comic.

Didn't Tesla invent the gyros that stabilise modern warships when firing their bigger guns? Or should I stop sleeping on the couch with Discovery on the TV?

Echo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    And I wouldn't call him "greatest of all time", but Carl von Linné sure did some important stuff.
    Taxonomists, in almost any biological field, have heard of Carolus Linnaeus. His prime contribution was to establish conventions for the naming of living organisms that became universally accepted in the scientific world--the work of Linnaeus represents the starting point of binomial nomenclature. In addition Linnaeus developed, during the great 18th century expansion of natural history knowledge, what became known as the Linnaean taxonomy; the system of scientific classification now widely used in the biological sciences.

The Linnaean system classified nature within a hierarchy, starting with three kingdoms. Kingdoms were divided into Classes and they, in turn, into Orders, which were divided into Genera (singular: genus), which were divided into Species (singular: species). Below the rank of species he sometimes recognized taxa of a lower (unnamed) rank (for plants these are now called "varieties").

Echo on