Options

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Reaper, I'm glad that setup works for you, but I personally can't imagine using something like that after using the Amazon lighted cover. Do you have to actually hold the flap open for the light to function correctly like you show in the picture?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jollus wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    wish I could hold my kindle sideways. I enjoy that orientation so much more. Oh well, it's a tiny problem in an otherwise stellar device.

Can't you? Hit the font size button and you can rotate the view any direction you want. At least the 3rd Gen can. Which model do you have?

Oh shit. Didn't even know I could do that! Thanks!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The worst thing about ereaders is that they make it too easy to impulse buy.

Last night while drunk I thought it was a good idea to buy this nearly 1000 page book on Theodore Roosevelt because the second book in the trilogy (yeah, 2 more after this book) is named Theodore Rex which is AWESOME.

I still have 15 books that I haven't read, I keep digging myself further and further into this hole.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »
    The worst thing about ereaders is that they make it too easy to impulse buy.

Last night while drunk I thought it was a good idea to buy this nearly 1000 page book on Theodore Roosevelt because the second book in the trilogy (yeah, 2 more after this book) is named Theodore Rex which is AWESOME.

I still have 15 books that I haven't read, I keep digging myself further and further into this hole.
    Hello new sig!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »

No shame in that, it's an excellent series, though I kind of prefer Mornings on Horseback.

Fats on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This might be the first time I've heard about someone drunk buying a presidential biography. Kudos sir.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't really read biographies ever so uhh, this will be interesting.

Hopefully in Theodore Rex he either turns into a dinosaur or a superhero. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is the most boring "I made a stupid decision while drunk" story.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah i impulse buy books now

good good business on amazon's part

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It does make impulse buying easy I agree. Lucky Amazon UK's Kindle selection seems to be less than the US version so a lot of the books I know I'd drunkenly buy don't seem to have made it here yet

I just subbed to the Onion as an impulse. I guess they deserve it. They've given me about a decade of enjoyment without any money (click through adds don't really count) being given by me

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Mister RadonMister Radon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All I can think of when I read about BEAST's new e-book purchase:

Theodore-rex-DVD.jpg

Mister Radon on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My big issue comes with series'. Oh, what's that, there's another book in this series? I'll just spend 20 dollars buying the next couple...oh, done with those now? better keep going...

Pirusu on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    My big issue comes with series'. Oh, what's that, there's another book in this series? I'll just spend 20 dollars buying the next couple...oh, done with those now? better keep going...

Yeah, that $50 gift card my dad got me didn't last long. "What's that? I can read 4-7 hours a day at work and I'm burning through the Wheel of Time series faster than a crackhead burns through his stash?"

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Yep. I've been reading series' lately, just because I read so fast, if there are multiple books, I'll actually spend a good amount of time with the characters, and it won't feel like it's over too soon.

Before my Kindle, I'd finish a book up, and I wouldn't be able to go to the next book until I can find time to go to the book store, which could be a matter of days or even weeks. Now though, I can start the next damn book, even if I finish up while in bed at 1:30 in the morning.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The ease of purchase is really dangerous, it's true. I was looking through my Amazon Wish List, saw the Kindle version of it selling for $0.99, and thirty seconds later it had been purchased and uploaded to my Kindle via Whispernet. Amazing how fast you can go from "well, I have 3,000 books in my backlog" to "well, I have 3,001 books in my backlog".

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Reaper, I'm glad that setup works for you, but I personally can't imagine using something like that after using the Amazon lighted cover. Do you have to actually hold the flap open for the light to function correctly like you show in the picture?

Nope, it's just a clip on light.. i've had it clipped on different places, just put it there for the photo.

Bought it from amazon, this is the product image:

410UtQnbh5L._SS500_.jpg

It's not large and doesn't obscure the screen.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ahh okay, in your original picture I didn't see the actual "light" part of it. I thought the light emitted from the lower clip somehow. That's definitely better.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, even with all the terrible shit that happened up in Fukushima, the post office delivered my Nook yesterday.

I really like the UI for it, but unfortunately purchases are region locked for B&N. Go go Kindle app! (I really wanted to buy from B&N to support them for making a great device, too)

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thinking about getting an eReader. Leaning towards the Kindle right now, but I'm open to advice and recommendations. Would be nice to have a general comparison of the pros and cons of the various eReaders, since the OP is a bit out of date. One particular feature I've been wondering about is what note taking capabilities they have. Since I tend to read a lot of fantasy it would be nice to be able to create my own little reference library for terms and characters, but I'm guessing that what I'm envisioning is beyond the capabilities of any devices currently out there.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thinking about getting an eReader. Leaning towards the Kindle right now, but I'm open to advice and recommendations. Would be nice to have a general comparison of the pros and cons of the various eReaders, since the OP is a bit out of date. One particular feature I've been wondering about is what note taking capabilities they have. Since I tend to read a lot of fantasy it would be nice to be able to create my own little reference library for terms and characters, but I'm guessing that what I'm envisioning is beyond the capabilities of any devices currently out there.

The new sony's have touchscreens, so you pop the little stylus out and merrily annotate to your heart's content. And you can draw with it, on blank pages if that takes your fancy (or you're getting somebody to draw you a map or something).

The notes are tied to the point in the book where you made them, but you can bring up a list just by tapping a button.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Since the latest Kindle update, have there been any good screensaver mods that actually work?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Since the latest Kindle update, have there been any good screensaver mods that actually work?
    3.1 right?
    Huh. The mod I installed just before the update never stopped working.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    3.1 right?
    Huh. The mod I installed just before the update never stopped working.
    Same here. I put it on about a week before the new update, and I'd heard it would break it, but it worked fine after the update. I didn't have to do anything.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    So, even with all the terrible shit that happened up in Fukushima, the post office delivered my Nook yesterday.

I really like the UI for it, but unfortunately purchases are region locked for B&N. Go go Kindle app! (I really wanted to buy from B&N to support them for making a great device, too)

You want to get a VPN for access, you can then purchase from B&N. There's a free client for one - possibly secureanywhere or something. There's guides on the nook hacking wiki and so forth.

Pretty sure you can even mod the nook itself to have the VPN natively.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, I think you guys might be able to offer me some solid advice. About two months ago, I accepted a teaching job in Kuwait City, Kuwait, beginning this August. I decided that buying an e-reader would be a good idea for the move, as I've read in my random internet research of expatriates in Kuwait that book stores there are pretty scarce.

I know for a fact that I cannot access the Amazon Kindle store while in Kuwait, and I'm pretty certain that I cannot access the Barnes and Noble store as well. Nonetheless, I purchased a Nook, with the idea that since it can read ePub and PDFs without any trouble, perhaps I will have access to eBooks after I move.

Even if I do not get access to an eBookstore, I will begin loading my favorite books and a lot of promising books that have been released over the past few years. I will also consider purchasing some eBooks with reference material that I can use to brush up on the subjects that I will be teaching.

So, here are my questions:
    Do any of you know how well the "eBook Movement" is progressing in the middle east? (I'm expecting these answers to either be "No, I have no idea," or "Pretty grim due to censorship.")

Do you know of any international eBookstores? I'm hopeful that Google Books is available while I'm abroad...

Can you recommend me some good websites with free public domain books?

If you want to recommend me some books, feel free to send me a PM. I'm not going to elaborate on my personal tastes at the moment, as this post is probably long enough already...

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can you not buy books through normal online bookstores while in Kuwait? You have to use Middle Eastern/international online bookstores? WTF is the Internet for, then?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    Hey, I think you guys might be able to offer me some solid advice. About two months ago, I accepted a teaching job in Kuwait City, Kuwait, beginning this August. I decided that buying an e-reader would be a good idea for the move, as I've read in my random internet research of expatriates in Kuwait that book stores there are pretty scarce.

I know for a fact that I cannot access the Amazon Kindle store while in Kuwait, and I'm pretty certain that I cannot access the Barnes and Noble store as well. Nonetheless, I purchased a Nook, with the idea that since it can read ePub and PDFs without any trouble, perhaps I will have access to eBooks after I move.

Even if I do not get access to an eBookstore, I will begin loading my favorite books and a lot of promising books that have been released over the past few years. I will also consider purchasing some eBooks with reference material that I can use to brush up on the subjects that I will be teaching.

So, here are my questions:
    Do any of you know how well the "eBook Movement" is progressing in the middle east? (I'm expecting these answers to either be "No, I have no idea," or "Pretty grim due to censorship.")

Do you know of any international eBookstores? I'm hopeful that Google Books is available while I'm abroad...

Can you recommend me some good websites with free public domain books?

If you want to recommend me some books, feel free to send me a PM. I'm not going to elaborate on my personal tastes at the moment, as this post is probably long enough already...

Surely you could buy ebooks via your US credit cards in US stores then get them delivered by email/file transfer, then convert them to w/e format you require. No as convenient, but hey

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A lot of stores will restrict you based on IP alone. If he has family still back here in the US that could buy them, that would work though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A lot of stores will restrict you based on IP alone. If he has family still back here in the US that could buy them, that would work though.

Really? That sucks. I guess you could try masking your IP address but geez, this is another reason why I am reluctant convert to ebooks

Kalkino on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You can't use a US proxy or something like that?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure you probably could. Just pointing out that using a US credit card alone may not cut it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2011
    Right... here is a fairly easy solution, so long as you have a computer handy.

Set up a remote PC at home somewhere, and install LogMeIn on it.

Run LogMeIn from your phone/laptop/desktop overseas, and purchase your kindle/nook books on that.

I am pretty sure US purchases can be downloaded overseas, you just can't buy them overseas.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As we're nearing 100 pages to this thread, and the market has gone through several significant changes, I felt it was time to update the OP.

I've only included the biggest names I see repeatedly in this thread. If you feel that some ereader deserves mention in the OP, or that I've missed a crucial detail in those I did cover, please let me know and I'll try to fix up the OP.
    The Amazon Kindle
    kindle3rdgen.jpg
    This is the third generation Kindle hardware, and a number of changes have occurred since the last hardware revision. The body, though similar looking to the Gen 2 Kindle, is 21% smaller, while retaining the same size screen, and the weight has been similarly reduced. Additionally, the battery life has been doubled to last up to a month with wireless turned off.

Aside from color choices, there are also two variations of the 6" device, one with 3G capabilities, which has been standard since the Kindle was first announced, and a cheaper wi-fi only version, which was a direct response to growing competition from the Kobo and Nook.

If you have a growing library of Kindle books, but don't want to keep the Kindle with you everywhere you go to read them, the Kindle library is also available on a growing number of devices via free software. You can read your Kindle books on the PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android and Blackberry. You do not have to own a Kindle to purchase books through these applications. Additionally, starting in January of 2011, Amazon updated the Kindle software to allow for book lending between devices, a service the Nook has offered since launch. Restrictions on the service are identical to the Nook's restrictions (ie: the loan period expires after two weeks, a book can only be loaned a single time).

Specs
    *6" Diagonal eInk screen
    *Size - 7.5" x 4.8" x 0.3"
    *Weight - 3G = 8.7 oz. | WiFi = 8.5 oz.
    *Storage - 4GB
    *Battery - 1 month (with wireless off)
    *Reading - Eight font sizes, and three font types
    *Library - Over 850,000 books, newspapers, magazines and blogs from Amazon.com
    plus 1.8 million free out of print books via archive.org.
    *Formats - Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible, MP3, nonDRM MOBI, PRC, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP

Cost 3G = $189.00 | WiFi = $139.00

kindledx.jpg
    Aimed at the professional and student market, the Kindle DX has a much larger display area for those that need a lot of information on screen at once, such as with technical manuals. The Kindle DX also has 3G capabilities, but does not offer a wifi-only version.

Specs
    *9.7" Diagonal eInk screen
    *Size - 10.4" x 7.2" x 0.4"
    *Weight - 18.9 oz.
    *Storage - 4GB
    *Battery - 2-3 weeks (with wireless off)
    *Reading - Eight sizes
    *Library - Over 850,000 books, newspapers, magazines and blogs from Amazon.
    *Formats - Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible, MP3, nonDRM MOBI, PRC, HTML, DOC,
    JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP

Cost $379.00

The Barnes & Noble Nook
    nook.jpg
    Still technically on it's first generation of hardware, the Nook has gone through a number of changes over the last year, since it was initially released. Like the Kindle, it started with a single 3G capable device, but eventually released a wi-fi only device to drive costs down, and help compete with the Kobo.

The Nook features a 6" eInk screen for reading, but uses a 3.5" LCD color touch screen for navigating menus and your library. Like the Kindle, the Nook has apps available on a number of other devices that allow reading books purchased through the Nook store, even if you lack a Nook reader. The Nook boasts the ability to loan out books to friends and family with Nook devices. Note though that lending is limited to one loan per book, and the loan expires after two weeks. Additionally, Amazon has since included this ability with the Kindle line.

The Nook is frequently updated with firmware updates, and overall Barnes & Noble seems very responsive to customer feedback on the device.

Specs
    *6" Diagonal eInk screen
    *3.5" LCD color touch screen
    *Size - 7.7" x 4.8" x 0.5"
    *Weight - 3G = 12.1 oz. | WiFi = 11.6 oz.
    *Storage - 2GB (expandable with 16GB SD card)
    *Battery - 10 Days (with wireless off)
    *Reading - Six font sizes
    *Library - Over 2 million books.
    *Formats - EPUB, PDB, PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MP3

Cost 3G = $199.00 | WiFi = $149.00

nookcolor.jpg
    Barnes & Noble recently released the first change in the Nook hardware, the NOOKcolor. This seems to be a direct response to the entry of Apple's iPad into the eReader market, and seems to be more of a mini-tablet device instead of a dedicated eReader.

The NOOKcolor does away with the eInk screen altogether, and instead has gone to a 7" full-color LCD touch screen. Full web and e-mail capabilities, along with apps and gaming seem to place this firmly in the "tablet computer" category, but Barnes & Noble is still touting it as an eReader. The device is wifi capable, but does not include a 3G option.

Specs
    *7" Diagonal LCD color touch screen (1024 x 600 resolution)
    *Size - 8.1" x 5.0" x 0.5"
    *Weight - 15.8 oz.
    *Storage - 8GB (expandable with 32GB SD card)
    *Battery - 8 Hours (with wireless off)
    *Library - Over 2 million books. Magazine subscriptions are available through the Nook NewsStand.
    *Formats - EPUB, PDF, XLS, DOC, PPT, PPS, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MP3, AAC, MP4

Cost $249.00

The Indigo Kobo
    kobo.jpg
    Presented as a minimalist alternative to the other eReaders on the market, the Kobo is largely a Canadian device, though it is sold via Borders here in the US.

The Kobo is available in three colors, Metallic Silver, Pearlized Lilac, and Onyx. Features are largely similar to the other offerings, including a 6" eInk screen, and wifi capabilities, though no 3G version is available.

The Kobo will read both EPUB and PDF files, making it compatible with most 3rd party ebook stores, as well as local libraries that offer ebook lending.

It is unknown at this time what effect, if any, the Chapter 11 filing by Borders will have on the Kobo.

Specs
    *6" Diagonal eInk screen
    *Size - 7.2" x 4.7" x 0.4"
    *Weight - 7.8 oz.
    *Storage - 1GB (expandable with 32GB SD card)
    *Battery - 10 Days (with wireless off)
    *Reading - Five font sizes, and two font types
    *Library - 2.2 million books.
    *Formats - EPUB, PDF

Cost $139.00

The Sony Reader
    The Daily Edition
    sonydaily.jpg
    Sony seems to have been in the eReader game the longest out of everybody on this list. The Daily Edition is their most current version of their reader, and as an attempt to catch up on all the features that the Kindle and the Nook brought to the fight. It boasts a 7" touch screen eInk display, along with 3G capabilities

Specs
    *7" Diagonal eInk screen
    *Size - 7.9" x 5" x 0.4"
    *Weight - 9.6 oz.
    *Storage - 2GB (expandable with 32GB card)
    *Battery - 3 Weeks (with wireless off)
    *Library - 1 million books.
    *Formats - EPUB, PDF, DOC, TXT, RTF, BBeB

Cost $299.99

The Touch Edition
    sonytouch.jpg
    The mid-range Sony reader, this model offers full touch screen capability. No wireless ability is available, so a computer is necessary for loading books.

Specs
    *6" Diagonal eInk screen
    *Size - 6.6" x 4.7" x 0.4"
    *Weight - 7.6 oz.
    *Storage - 2GB (expandable with 32GB card)
    *Battery - 2 Weeks

Cost $229.99

The Pocket Edition
    sonypocket.jpg
    The entry-level Sony offering. Like the Touch and the Daily, this model offers a full touch screen, and like the touch, no wireless ability. The size is the biggest selling point with this model, as the screen is a mere 5", making it the most compact of the available eReaders.

Availability of the three Sony eReaders appears to be in flux at the moment, and it's unclear whether this is due to the line being refreshed, discontinued, or simply in short supply.

Specs
    *5" Diagonal eInk screen
    *Size - 5.7" x 4.1" x 0.3"
    *Weight - 5.5 oz.
    *Storage - 512MB
    *Battery - 2 Weeks

Cost $179.99

The Apple iPad
    ipad.jpg
    Apple recently released the second generation of its tablet computer, the iPad. Billed as more of a multi-media device than an eReader, it none the less has that feature built in, along with all the other games, music and movie watching capabilities. The iPad features a LCD touch screen, running iOS 4.3. This screen is also its largest drawback, as it reduces battery life to only 10 hours, and for some, reading on an LCD screen induces eye fatigue.

The variations of the iPad are legion. There are three primary sizes, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. Of those three sizes, there are wifi-only versions, as well as 3G capable versions. The 3G capable versions also are available either through AT&T or Verizon. And of those nine possible models, you can also get it in either black or white, making for 18 possible iPad combinations.

One of the truly stand-out features of the iPad is the fact that it has access to the largest library of books out of all devices available. This is primarily due to the fact that, in addition to the iBookstore, the iPad also has apps for the Kindle and Nook, including access to all the books available to those devices.

Specs
    *10" Diagonal LCD screen
    *Size - 9.5” x 7.3” x 0.34”
    *Weight - 1.33 lbs. (1.35 lbs. for AT&T, 1.34 lbs. for Verizon)
    *Storage - 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
    *Battery - 10 Hours
    *Reading - Multiple options, depending on book
    *Library - 200,000 books.
    *Formats - EPUB, PDF

Cost 16GB = $499.00 | 16GB 3G = $629.00 | 32GB = $599.00 | 32GB 3G = $729.00 | 64GB = 699.00 | 64GB 3G = $829.00

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit the tiny Sony looks so fun

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seriously people - VPN like Hotspotshield or AlwaysVPN or something like that is what you require for buying books from places that restrict purchases based on IP.

USE A VPN TO PURCHASE FROM IP RESTRICTED BOOKSTORES

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oooh, I played with a FNACBook yesterday. It seems to have 3g and is linked to the FNAC store (which much like the Kindle being tied to Amazon is a blessing or curse depending on your worldview), but it lacks the real-estate devouring keyboard of the Kindle. Good times assuming that the 3g access is a freebie. Although the interface is odd with it, took me a good few seconds of fiddling to get it to turn on and my girlfriend didn't manage (the large yellow on button seems to be a trap) and it was quite slow (although it was a store model so it was getting hammered to shit, and that could be behind any issues).

Although that new OP implies the latest Sony ones also have 3g access, which is news to me.

Also, for the OP, it might be worth including a "other things that can read ebooks" sections for the Book Colour, iPad, most smartphones, etc. The common confusion about eReaders being "books with batteries" isn't helped by things with LCD screens masquerading as being in the same class as products.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Oooh, I played with a FNACBook yesterday. It seems to have 3g and is linked to the FNAC store (which much like the Kindle being tied to Amazon is a blessing or curse depending on your worldview), but it lacks the real-estate devouring keyboard of the Kindle. Good times assuming that the 3g access is a freebie. Although the interface is odd with it, took me a good few seconds of fiddling to get it to turn on and my girlfriend didn't manage (the large yellow on button seems to be a trap) and it was quite slow (although it was a store model so it was getting hammered to shit, and that could be behind any issues).

Although that new OP implies the latest Sony ones also have 3g access, which is news to me.

Also, for the OP, it might be worth including a "other things that can read ebooks" sections for the Book Colour, iPad, most smartphones, etc. The common confusion about eReaders being "books with batteries" isn't helped by things with LCD screens masquerading as being in the same class as products.

I'm curious, how was the FNAC store browsing experience without a keyboard? Or is it one of those things that you can't do from the device itself, like Sony readers?

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    JHunz wrote: »

I'm curious, how was the FNAC store browsing experience without a keyboard? Or is it one of those things that you can't do from the device itself, like Sony readers?
    Foolishly, FNAC believes that display models can't be connected to the internet, so I just saw a "can't make connection screen" and didn't actually do any typing. I imagine the touchscreen keyboard is all well and good though.

Also, that proto-OP implies the new Sonys have 3g access, so I'd expect that this isn't just for display purposes only and they also let you shop online through them. Although that was news to me. Sony has a real issue with giving its products shitty names and having non-sequential product codes, so it's hard to work out what the new hotness is. Having checked, the 3g Sony is the 900 and the 3g connection is free, but it can't be used for web browsing, it's just for accessing the Sony eBook store (something which I didn't realise even existed).

Is being able to buy books on the fly a big deal for people with eReaders? I've got a 650 so I just buy on the computer and wang them over, I quite like being able to shop around. I suppose, it's mainly for the companies though (to allow for impulse purchases).

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Only the Daily edition has 3G access. The touch and the pocket don't.
    Is being able to buy books on the fly a big deal for people with eReaders? I've got a 650 so I just buy on the computer and wang them over, I quite like being able to shop around. I suppose, it's mainly for the companies though (to allow for impulse purchases).

It's a big deal for me. I almost exclusively read in bed, which means I finish books in bed. When I want to get the latest book in a series, I can do it right from the Kindle, without getting up and hooking it up to a computer. That's the height of laziness, but goddammit it's nice. Also, when I'm on vacation, or visiting relatives, or just out in the park reading, I don't have to have a computer right by me to load up the next book.

This can all be mitigated with a bit of forethought, but it's nice and convenient not having to do that. Additionally, there have been a few rare occasions where I absolutely needed access to my email for some purpose, and the Kindle served that purpose as well.

When there's only a $50 difference between 3G and non-3G, I'd say the convenience is absolutely worth it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When there's only a $50 difference between 3G and non-3G, I'd say the convenience is absolutely worth it.

On the other hand, that's a fair number of books. I do tend to hoard books on my Kindle, though (if I want to read a series, for example, I get that entire series at once and dump it on there), so I guess I'm never in danger of running out.

Fats on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For me the 3G on my 2nd gen is mostly used for synching with my iPhone Kindle app wherever I am. I don't care about being able to buy books away from Wi-Fi.

wonderpug on