As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whoops - Edge & Schick give away free GT5, Killzone 3, and Infamous 2 DLC on accident

SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
So Sony and razor manufacturer Schick along with shaving cream manufacturer Edge are running another promo where you buy their razors or shaving cream, and you get some PS3 DLC in return.
Some of the biggest franchises ever to hit PlayStation have had caused quite a buzz over the last few months. Gran Turismo 5 and Killzone 3 are both runaway successes. And with anticipation building for inFAMOUS 2, we’ve been hard at work looking for ways to help up the ante in your AAA action.

That’s why we’ve joined forces with Edge and Schick to help you get more of an edge in your life and your gameplay. This week, special edition Edge Shave Gel and Schick Quatro products are hitting store shelves nationwide. These custom Killzone 3, Gran Turismo 5 and inFAMOUS 2 packages are more than just collector’s items. Enter the on-pack code at edgeshave.com/ps3 and get your hands on your choice of downloadable content including:

A Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack featuring two popular maps from Killzone 2 OR three Unlock Points to use on the weapon or ability of your choice

A customized Chevy Camaro SS “Edge Special” for Gran Turismo 5

A special “Sniper Blast” in-game power for inFAMOUS 2. The long-range blast has a narrow area of effect to better equip you to take-on the enemy when inFAMOUS 2 arrives in June.

These special edition Edge and Schick products are available beginning today at select local retailers. You can head here for additional details.

Twenty seconds later it became obvious that the system could be gamed to get the DLC for free.

So, basically, you go to Schick's website, enter your details (which can be completely fake as long as you have an "@" symbol in the email field and your state/zipcode match) and you enter a code... that's printed on the bottom of every can... and on the UPC of every pack of razors... including the UPCs that are clearly visible on Amazon.com... like these two:

Then, you pick which of the four DLC options you want:
whatuc.jpg

And you'll get a code that you can use on the PSN network (if you pick the Infamous 2 code you won't be able to use it until the game is released).

But if you're feeling bad because you're not sure which DLC you want to choose, it's ok! You can hit refresh, enter new (fake) details, use the same code from the two above, and choose again. And again. Etc.

So there you have it. Get yours while you can.

SmokeStacks on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aw, thanks Smoke. I appreciate it!

urahonky on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man that's awesome. I don't have a PS 3 but I really think it's funny that one of these bullshit marketing schemes has totally backfired.

Drake on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't own or plan to own any of those, but this made me smile nonetheless.

Thank you!

Astale on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's the thing... Technically you could just buy one of the cans of after shave and download all of them. You'd think they'd keep a database of "already entered" numbers.

urahonky on
  • kelleyberrykelleyberry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nice, got myself a code for Infamous 2 saved for when that releases. Thank you, SmokeStacks!

kelleyberry on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is such a terrible website even ignoring the broken promo. I've played with 3 different browsers and managed to unintentially break it in all sorts of wonderful ways.

[strike]Any kind soul able to PM me an inFamous code?[/strike]
    Edit: SmokeStacks is a classy gent.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    This is such a terrible website even ignoring the broken promo. I've played with 3 different browsers and managed to unintentially break it in all sorts of wonderful ways.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about borking the website. I'm using Opera and haven't had any issues.
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    Any kind soul able to PM me an inFamous code?

Check yo box.

SmokeStacks on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It eventually stopped me from using either of the UPCs. Luckily I only had the Infamous 2 DLC left, and I'm never planning on playing it anyway.

Thanks, SmokeStacks!

SirUltimos on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It seems like they're in the process of fixing it or something? I go to the page and see get your edge, the menu at the top, and then a big empty black screen in the middle.

edit: Ok, tried it in IE and now I see this: Sorry, the page you requested wasn't found.
    Please use the navigation links at the top of the page to select a new destination.

Looks like they figured it out.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • BigMackAttackBigMackAttack Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    So Sony and razor manufacturer Schick along with shaving cream manufacturer Edge are running another promo where you buy their razors or shaving cream, and you get some PS3 DLC in return.

Twenty seconds later it became obvious that the system could be gamed to get the DLC for free.

So, basically, you go to Schick's website, enter your details (which can be completely fake as long as you have an "@" symbol in the email field and your state/zipcode match) and you enter a code... that's printed on the bottom of every can... and on the UPC of every pack of razors... including the UPCs that are clearly visible on Amazon.com... like these two:

Then, you pick which of the four DLC options you want:
    whatuc.jpg

And you'll get a code that you can use on the PSN network (if you pick the Infamous 2 code you won't be able to use it until the game is released).

But if you're feeling bad because you're not sure which DLC you want to choose, it's ok! You can hit refresh, enter new (fake) details, use the same code from the two above, and choose again. And again. Etc.

So there you have it. Get yours while you can.
    You OBVIOUSLY ripped this from my thread. I don't mind, but I would have loved for you to cite it!
    http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=193475

BigMackAttack on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Still worked for me no problem. Got my unlock points and Infamous power with the two codes provided in the OP.

JAEF on
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Still works, I can confirm it. I just did it to get someone I know the Killzone stuff.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope Mr. a of email service provider hspqh- doesn't get mad at me for using his email to get an Infamous 2 code.

Gilder on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jimmy Jimmy of [email]jimmy@ jimmy.com[/email] thanks you for the heads up on this. I'm sure he will enjoy his inFamous 2 code :)

Lucascraft on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know both of those guys.

SmokeStacks on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fake McFakefake at fakefakefake@fake.com got his DLC :wink:

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, confused. I got the site working for me, chose the killzone map pack, and I got a theme instead?

edit: Nevermind. I'm dumb. I guess the theme comes with the map pack. Very cool, though.

anoffday on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo says thanks for the Infamous 2 DLC

UnbreakableVow on
  • KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anybody know if these codes are for the US PSN only?

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Wing126Wing126 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Kiz wrote: »
    Anybody know if these codes are for the US PSN only?

Unfortunately they are :(

Wing126 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good lord, how do you botch something like this?

Or maybe they did it on purpose somehow.

Henroid on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo says thanks for the Infamous 2 DLC

:^:

SirUltimos on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heh, the same thing happened with EA around the time of the ME2 launch. They had a tie in promo with like, Dr Pepper or something; maybe 7up, where you could redeem codes for ME2 hats, or parts in Spore, and I think Sims 3; maybe other games.

And you could use static codes with fake e-mail information just like this.

Good times were had by all.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it does remind me of the Mass Effect 2 Dr. Pepper promo. Thanks for the infamous 2 DLC, Schick!

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited March 2011
    Heh, the same thing happened with EA around the time of the ME2 launch. They had a tie in promo with like, Dr Pepper or something; maybe 7up, where you could redeem codes for ME2 hats, or parts in Spore, and I think Sims 3; maybe other games.

And you could use static codes with fake e-mail information just like this.

Good times were had by all.
    Or the Fable 2 CE Master Chief armor. They forgot to include the codes or screwed them up in the CE, can't remember which one. They ended up just having a site up where you could enter your email and they'd send you a code for it. I remember the people who bought the CE were pissed, and rightfully so.

anoffday on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I picked up the Infamous 2 stuff cause it's a game I might actually end up playing one day.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • gamer1500gamer1500 Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Hey can someone help me? I accidentally clicked the killzone 3 pts twice. Now it won't take either of the codes. Please no rude comments!

gamer1500 on
  • steveosteveo Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    hmm... i was wondering if anyone had any retro map pack codes left over... can i have one please? :/

steveo on
  • IntecIntec http://orzeszowie.pl/studencki-zespol-piesni-tanca-poloniny/ księgowa Jelenia GóraRegistered User new member
    There have been similar cases lately?

This discussion has been closed.