As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sims Medieval

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
I saw this was released this week. I am kind of intrigued. Has anyone played it or heard much about it?

Here's some standard OP Stuff:
GAME INFO
The Middle Ages come to life with The Sims.

Introducing next-gen Sims tech and features
A world of Sims filled with stories, adventures, romance, drama and comedy
Enhanced environment and character graphics, lighting, and gameplay
Rich dramatic medieval setting

Experience epic stories of the age, full of drama, fantasy, conflict, comedy, romance, and intrigue
New Features: Heroes, Quests, Kingdom-Building
Create Heroes - Build up their skills and send them on epic quests
Quests - Drive your kingdom’s story - Good or evil, cruel or kind, romantic or warlike
Build a Kingdom - Start with an empty field and build up your kingdom, deciding its ultimate ambition and working to achieve its destiny

Other Features
Achievement system – Be rewarded you for your skill in reaching your kingdom ambitions and completing your quests.
Magic - Your wizard will learn a variety of powerful spells that will help him complete quests and carry out his duties to the kingdom.
Crafting system - Your blacksmith will forge weapons of varying quality and your physician will create cures for a variety of ailments.
Diplomatic system - Negotiate treaties, conduct trade or declare war on surrounding kingdoms.
Fishing - Yes, there is fishing

I'm a sucker for kingdom-building type games, so I may have to try this at some point.

tsm-legendary-ambitions.jpg?cb=1300241491

tsm-Imperial-Domination.jpg?cb=1300241482

http://www.ea.com/the-sims-medieval

captaink on

• Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    weeeeeeiiirrrddd

I hope it's like Crusader Kings with 3D graphics

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Super interested in this, but I only game on console =/

Hoping that it gets a console release like The Sims 3 did.

Edit: I lawl'd at the features list. It lists all these cool things and at the end its like "If that doesn't get you fired up, there's also fishing if you can believe it!"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    looks somewhat interesting, i will wait for some reviews before i make a decision

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My boyfriend is crazy into it; even took the day off from work yesterday and played it. He was sick too but it was just a happy coincidence I guess.

I know he quit in frustration at least once but's that's all I've heard about it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Like quit 'cause it's hard or quit because it's broken?

I've been playing Sims3 because I found a copy, and I've been semi-mildly obsessed with it.

I'll wait for reviews for this as well.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quit like people quit WoW.

It's probably a little telling that this flew under the forum's radar, not having a thread until it got released.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll probably buy this for my wife whenever it gets released on Steam (if it does).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm picking this up at a midnight launch of the 3DS tonight, as a way to ensure I get some alone time with my shiny new handheld.

Which might as well be a euphemism, the way my girlfriend gets sucked into Sims games.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You dudes can stop pretending it's only for your ladies.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Malkor wrote: »

:lol:

The Sims can be a very man-centric game. At least when I play... lesbians errywhere

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My fiancee picked it up and loves it so far.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Like quit 'cause it's hard or quit because it's broken?

Quit because of frustration. He said he had to change two Sims into two different jobs to fulfill a quest and they were really hard to learn to do or something.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    izzyfoshizzyizzyfoshizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ever since the first Sims (and all those expansion packs), I've kind of been disappointed with the franchise.

Maybe the reason it flew so under the radar is because people have just gotten sick of it.

izzyfoshizzy on
    We're giving away a brand new Nintendo 3DS, just subscribe to our Youtube channel!!: [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig[/vidURL]
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The thing that intrigues me the most about this game is BAM DONALD FAISON OUT OF NOWHERE in the commercial.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The thing that intrigues me the most about this game is BAM DONALD FAISON OUT OF NOWHERE in the commercial.

HAHA, Yeah. it is one of the most bizarre things i've seen in a while.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got this as well and if I wasn't horribly gun-shy about being an OP for a G&T thread, I would've made this a few weeks ago.

I'm having fun so far. It's a lot more goal oriented than any of the normal Sims games. To the point where I'd no longer call it a sandbox game, but a carrot chasing game.

A quick rundown would be...
    Manage your Sim's needs (Hunger and Sleep) so your Sim's mood/focus will be high enough to do quests.
    Complete more quests to get more Resource Points.
    Spend your Resource Points to build more buildings (Market, Blacksmith, Clinic) which give you access to more Sims.
    More Sims means quests can be completed in different ways.

Basically, you are just always on the go and have something to do. Aside from managing your Hunger and Sleep, each Sim also has two timed Daily Tasks based on their job. These are relatively simple, but in between them, eating, sleeping, and questing, at times you just get overwhelmed and feel restricted.

Other than slight bugs (eat the fucking food you cook.... you're hungry.... don't just set it on the floor and walk away) and a very restrictive and horrible implemented camera system I like it well enough to recommend getting it at a lower price.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was going to get this yesterday, but I realized I'd bought late night for Sims 3 a couple of months ago and never played it much, so I loaded up Sunny Valley and then realized there weren't any clubs, at which point I made a couple of bars, then I played for a bit and it was suddenly 3 in the morning.

So yeah.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    I got this as well and if I wasn't horribly gun-shy about being an OP for a G&T thread, I would've made this a few weeks ago.

I'm having fun so far. It's a lot more goal oriented than any of the normal Sims games. To the point where I'd no longer call it a sandbox game, but a carrot chasing game.

Manage your Sim's needs (Hunger and Sleep) so your Sim's mood/focus will be high enough to do quests.
    Spend your Resource Points to build more buildings (Market, Blacksmith, Clinic) which give you access to more Sims.

Basically, you are just always on the go and have something to do. Aside from managing your Hunger and Sleep, each Sim also has two timed Daily Tasks based on their job. These are relatively simple, but in between them, eating, sleeping, and questing, at times you just get overwhelmed and feel restricted.

Other than slight bugs (eat the fucking food you cook.... you're hungry.... don't just set it on the floor and walk away) and a very restrictive and horrible implemented camera system I like it well enough to recommend getting it at a lower price.

I'm not a big fan of the game holding a gun to your head, forcing you to do quests at their pace lest you get a penalty. I've heard there's a sandbox mode after you beat the game once, which is dumb. That sort of thing should be available from the get go, it's a Sims game for fucks sake.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Total tangent but how is Sims 3 for the Xbox? Is it worth getting if I ever vaguely liked The Sims?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Metallikat wrote: »

I'm not a big fan of the game holding a gun to your head, forcing you to do quests at their pace lest you get a penalty. I've heard there's a sandbox mode after you beat the game once, which is dumb. That sort of thing should be available from the get go, it's a Sims game for fucks sake.

It's A Sims game but not THE Sims. If you want complete sandbox, the Sims 3 is still making expansions. This is a different game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hadn't followed this at all and just assumed it was a Sims 3 expansion thing, but I guess it's actually stand alone.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

:lol:

The Sims can be a very man-centric game. At least when I play... lesbians errywhere

That also happens occasionally when I watch my sister play Sims.

Peewi on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I picked this game up since I had it already pre-purchased for my ex like months ago, and then we split up so I guess now its mine (It was already paid for.). It's uhh...something. I've only played the tutorial but this isn't a normal sims game.

You have hero Sims in it and they can go on adventures and quests, put people in the stocks, do battle against enemies, level up and get skills, even equip armour and weapons. It still also has the sims building mechanic where you build castles and such, and there are neighbouring kingdoms around you you can do political stuff with. Not sure if i like it really but i've never been big into the sims..

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It's A Sims game but not THE Sims. If you want complete sandbox, the Sims 3 is still making expansions. This is a different game.

But that's just it, it HAS a sandbox. They just decided to hide it for reasons that only make sense to the gibbering lunatics at EA.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

But that's just it, it HAS a sandbox. They just decided to hide it for reasons that only make sense to the gibbering lunatics at EA.

Yeah, I don't really get that either. ALL the console Sims games did the same thing: complete all these tasks and then you can just play regular Sims. They just end up feeling like ridiculously long tutorials.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah, I don't really get that either. ALL the console Sims games did the same thing: complete all these tasks and then you can just play regular Sims. They just end up feeling like ridiculously long tutorials.

I should just say, I don't even mind the quest system and using different sims, etc. I think it adds a bit of flavor and keeps things interesting. I just don't enjoy time pressure, especially for the sims that have to collect things like herbs. Trying to track down ingredients to complete your daily tasks while making sure to eat and get enough sleep as well as having your quest hanging over your head... it gets a bit much. Forget trying to socialize and make friends with other sims. I'm hoping some intrepid modder finds a way to get around this.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still trying to come up with an explanation for the "Chicks and The Sims, amirite?" phenomenon.

The "virtual dollhouse" factor is part of it but there has to be more to it than that.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm still trying to come up with an explanation for the "Chicks and The Sims, amirite?" phenomenon.

The "virtual dollhouse" factor is part of it but there has to be more to it than that.

I didn't like it at first because I thought it was a dollhouse, but it's like, a real house man. Just with little stupid people, and really are they any stupider than us man?

Malkor on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was anyone else disappointed that this wasn't a mercilessly accurate simulation of feudal peasant life?

"Congratulations on your marriage! His Majesty has invoked the right of Primae Noctis."

Ambition: "Have Bread"

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Popesnax wrote: »
    Was anyone else disappointed that this wasn't a mercilessly accurate simulation of feudal peasant life?

"Congratulations on your marriage! His Majesty has invoked the right of Primae Noctis."

Ambition: "Have Bread"

Ambition: FREEEEEEEDOOOOOMMMMMM!!!

Edit: Total War: The Sims

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I should just say, I don't even mind the quest system and using different sims, etc. I think it adds a bit of flavor and keeps things interesting. I just don't enjoy time pressure, especially for the sims that have to collect things like herbs. Trying to track down ingredients to complete your daily tasks while making sure to eat and get enough sleep as well as having your quest hanging over your head... it gets a bit much. Forget trying to socialize and make friends with other sims. I'm hoping some intrepid modder finds a way to get around this.

You just nailed my reason for not really liking it so far. It seems there is a lot less freedom and the game keeps wanting you to do like 10 things at once with timers placed on them instead of just letting you do whatever you want. And yes, trying to keep fed and rested while running across the countryside on quests becomes almost impossible.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Total tangent but how is Sims 3 for the Xbox? Is it worth getting if I ever vaguely liked The Sims?

Very much worth it. Everything works very well on the console, plus there are "Karma Powers" on the consoles that can do things like instantly raise all your sims needs, instantly grant you alot of money at once, etc. There are even evil powers like haunting someone's house, or casting a bad luck hex on them.

If you rely on Karma powers too much bad things can happen though. My house has caught on fire and all the plumbing broke numerous times. If you've ever liked the sims at all I recommend it :^:

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can sims kill each other in this one?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes, you can kill sims in this one. My knight killed 7 or so on his way home one knight. I almost lost him. Stupid security level.

Honestly, I really like the game so far.

Noxy on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You just nailed my reason for not really liking it so far. It seems there is a lot less freedom and the game keeps wanting you to do like 10 things at once with timers placed on them instead of just letting you do whatever you want. And yes, trying to keep fed and rested while running across the countryside on quests becomes almost impossible.

You know you don't have to rush through the quests, right? The only time you get penalized is if you go for more than a day not doing any steps in the quest. In fact, you're better off taking it slow and letting high focus get you to a platinum rating before doing the rest of the quest. Right now I only have 5 buildings, so maybe things get tougher later on. So far, it's been no trouble at all.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like the quests, i just dont like the timers. I once failed a quest because my guy was sleeping and then couldnt get up and make it down the stairs to the desk fast enough to write his letter. that was lame.

Elimination on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Very much worth it. Everything works very well on the console, plus there are "Karma Powers" on the consoles that can do things like instantly raise all your sims needs, instantly grant you alot of money at once, etc. There are even evil powers like haunting someone's house, or casting a bad luck hex on them.

If you rely on Karma powers too much bad things can happen though. My house has caught on fire and all the plumbing broke numerous times. If you've ever liked the sims at all I recommend it :^:

But it doesn't come with the expansion packs that the PC version has, does it?

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Sims Medieval. The Sims games are a guilty pleasure of mine, but even so, it has felt a bit pointless and tedious playing them. You often spend a lot of time doing rather mundane, time consuming things. Medieval seems to have a lot more of a focus, however, and more interesting things to do with your time. I will agree, though, that I wish I had more time to do some of the tasks. Heck, only a few more hours for the responsibilities would suffice.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You know you don't have to rush through the quests, right? The only time you get penalized is if you go for more than a day not doing any steps in the quest. In fact, you're better off taking it slow and letting high focus get you to a platinum rating before doing the rest of the quest. Right now I only have 5 buildings, so maybe things get tougher later on. So far, it's been no trouble at all.

Hah, but in order to keep your Focus high you need to make sure you complete your 2 daily tasks in the time window they give you, otherwise you get a mood reduction....

While also managing your hunger and sleep bars, otherwise you get a mood reduction....

While also making sure to you don't go too long without performing your bad trait, otherwise you get, you guessed it, mood reduction....

Now multiply that by the number of Sims you have to control during the quest you're working on.

If that sounds tedious, its because at times it can be. It takes patience and a skill/knack for micromanagement. But like I've previously said, I like it enough to play.

Decoy on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How much freedom is there for building your home (castle?) I find thats most of the reason for playing the Sims; working on getting more money to build bigger and more elaborate living spaces for my Sims to live and interact. From what I've heard and the fact its not an expansion I'm guessing that its more limited in that regard to focus on different types of game play?

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riqa wrote: »
    How much freedom is there for building your home (castle?) I find thats most of the reason for playing the Sims; working on getting more money to build bigger and more elaborate living spaces for my Sims to live and interact. From what I've heard and the fact its not an expansion I'm guessing that its more limited in that regard to focus on different types of game play?

I haven't messed with it too much, but the build/decoration mode seems identical to past games.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

That there are a lot of girls who would like games in general if they tried them, and The Sims has a low enough entry barrier to be a popular choice, as opposed to the dual-stick buttons-everywhere clusterfucks of Generic Manly Shooter no. 34?

I progressed through the common route of guys my age of 2d platformer -> strategy/adventure -> kbam FPS -> console, but for someone who jumps in at the deep end fairly late in life and gaming development, it's a harsh learning curve. The Sims stands out on the shelf as low conflict, high intuitiveness, with a pleasing aesthetic and a genuinely good game behind its presentation. It's a lot more rewarding having a tastefully decorated house after an hour's gameplay than attempting a Halo deathmatch, spinning around in a circle aiming at the sky before your boyfriend/son/brother finally takes pity on you and shoots your character in the face.

Sources for this late-night ramble: my parents, my sister, my girlfriends past and present

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]